Davenport, IA
Slattery Park Share
Uploaded By: dekalbdiscfan Hole #4 (Taken 3/2009)

Great place to learn, or teach, the game of disc golf

2-4    7/16/2013   7/17/2013
Review By: FightingIllinut
Pros: This is a beginners course, hence, there is absolutely no rough. Well groomed turf throughout the park. There are really nice 8 foot concrete tees. There is a bathroom and drinking fountain. Mach II targets from DGA are adequate. Some shot shaping requirements for intermediate arms and above which is also a good thing for the beginner disc golfer whom this course is geared for.Great use of trees by the Davenport forestry department including fast growing trees such as Willow and Sycamore but also many mature trees that often are in the way or framing the target. Room to expand to 9 holes (and really should)
Cons: No kiosk/course map. No tee signs. No hole over 290'. Close proximity to basketball, pavilion, playground etc makes some holes unplayable during peak traffic. #6 tee is pointing 30 degrees left of the target due to target having been relocated.
Other Thoughts: I uploaded a course map you can find in the links page. I am not adding a ton of information because the other reviews here are quite lengthy and accurate. I figured the best thing I could do is give everyone (especially the beginners) a map showing the layout.

Short and sweet

1    8/28/2010   9/2/2010
Pros: 1) Concrete tees are in adequate shape. Even in a small little park with only 6 holes it was nice to see them install concrete teepads. It simply is my preferred tee surface.

2) Very beginner friendly because it is mostly open, there is no rough to lose a disc, and because the holes are not extremely long.

3) There is some shot shaping options here which is always a positive. It isn't just a simple hyzer, or a dead straight shot at every basket. I like this because it could have been really boring. I also consider this a big positive when considering beginners in the sport, they need to learn different shots and what better way than a few well placed obstacles.

4) Noone was there to play disc golf on a beautiful evening. I would gues it doesn't get a lot of play with all the other great courses in the area so it would be a really nice place for a calm round with the significant other, a nice place to practice, and the course has enough room you could invent all sorts of safari holes too.
Cons: 1) #1 and #2 pass fairly close to a picnic pavillion which was a big party when I was there. As is typical parties tend to creep outward and I had to wait for a few people to acknowledge my presence even though I am sure they had no idea what I was doing. There is a walk path in the middle of the park and #4 also passes right next to a BBall court.

2) No signs on the course but at least they put the hole # on the teepad.

3) I would guess the park is pretty crowded as it is nice wide open, it has playgrounds, basketball, a pavillion, and is well maintained. I could imagine people being in the way from time to time.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed this course. it was my 8th of the day on my way into Davenport so to end on a nice calm 6 holer was perfect for me. I wouldnt hit this place up all that often if I lived in the area, but mainly because I prefer more challenge and the rest of the Quad Cities courses all have an abundance of challenge. If I wanted to practice a bit, get an nice calm round in with my wife, or I wanted a place to make up my own holes I would certainly return.

This course is just a nice contrast to all the other courses in the area dn it compliments them well.