Placerville, CA
Finnon Reservoir DGC Share
Uploaded By: snappyfingers Hole #18
3 / --   3 / 487ft. Par / Distance:

The Drive Here Is Epic! # 13 Is Epic! Course Is Not Epic!

1    8/24/2012   10/5/2012
Pros: Wow, This is another of those courses where the opinions are all over the place, everything from 0s to 4.5s. I'll be somewhere in the middle. The drive out here is memorable in the fact that I didn't know anywhere in California was that far removed from civilization! And when I finally arrived, the cafe was closed and the gate was closed. Luckily???? I had printed an on-line map. So I put my $ (in the wrong paybox on the wrong end of the cafe I later figured out) and drove through the gate.
Even with the map, I never really found # 1. I guess I started on # 6. As others have stated, this is not a course to play by yourself without spotters. I soldiered on. I found some little laminated signs without distances. Speaking of distances, # 6 was like 700'. Luckily the basket was an Innova with the yellow rim.

# 7 was a very cool toss over a valley. Then # 8 was a long but very interesting top of the valley shot through the trees. Close to an epic hole.
But the # 13 hole really stands out to me as the signature hole on this course and as one of the most unique holes I've ever played on my 475 + courses. You climb up into an old water tower approx 16' across. There are benches in here to rest on. It's nice and cool and shady. It's a great break from the elements. So you're throwing from this elevated water tower to a basket maybe 300-350' out in the distance. For some unknown reason, the # 13 basket is painted flat black, like a pick-up bedliner. It's makes it very difficult to see from the water tower. What's up with this? Kinda spoils the wonderful ambiance of this hole.

There are water and bathrooms available shortly after the water tower hole.
Cons: The course is long, rugged, hot, dry, dusty,is poorly marked, has basically no teepads, and has acres of nasty rough to throw your discs into. Without ever playing the previous, seemingly easier, for lack of a better term setup, I think I'd like it better. On a hot August day, this course was a little overwhelming for me. I didn't find the hike particularly beautiful, I found it more hot, dry and on the tedious side.
Other Thoughts: On # 12, I teed off into a horse and I had to shoo him away in order to play my second shot. A million acres out here and me and this horse get face to face. I imagined myself getting bitch kicked by this crazy horse out here in the boonies with no cell reception and lying here at night while the night critters feed on my rotting dead carcass.

The potential for greatness...

5+    8/4/2012   8/19/2012
Review By: Blazer530
Pros: This course has the potential to be a championship level course if someone would take care of it. There are par 4's and 5's, to go with the par 3's. There are some big downhill shots and some big uphills as well. There's a cool shot out of an old water tower, with nice benches instaled in it, making it a great spot for a break on the course. The cafe on site has good food and cold beer making it a good stop before or after a round.
Cons: This course badly needs signs both on the tees and to show you where to go. With all the redesigns that have happend it makes it hard to find your way around. The tee pads are all dirt except for the shot out of the old water tower. Most of the course is so overgrown that finding your disc can be a pain in the butt. It seems like with the 6$ / car to park fee it seems like there would be some more care taken of this course.
Other Thoughts: Spring is the nicest season out here in my opinion. Remember that right now the baskets are all not numbered corectly, so it's probably good to find a guide to play with out here. High fire danger in the summer. Make sure to stop in at the cafe for some food and to stock up on cold beers for the round.

Love it or Hate it

1    1/29/2010   1/30/2010
Review By: renotahoedg
Pros: * Beautiful Setting with the lake visible from many holes. Very secluded and quiet.
* Camping on sight. Restaurant near Tee #1.
* Direction to next tee marked with landscaping flags. Was easy to navigate.
Cons: * No signage (I assume that this will change given time)
* Dirt tee boxes
* VERY thick undergrowth in some areas
* Because the course is long, there are several drives that are blind.
Other Thoughts: I believe that this is a course that you will either really love or really hate. It is longer than any course that I've seen. What I mean by this is that a majority of the holes are longer than 'standard' and the scorecard has them listed as par 4 or par 5. So, if you can throw long, and/or like the idea of holes longer than par 3, you will love this course. If you cannot throw long and prefer the 'traditiional' par 3 course, you will hate this course.

I hated this course and stopped playing after unsuccessfully searching for my disc in the thick growth on hole 4 for over 20 minutes, although I did followe through with my dgcoursereview duty and continued taking pics to upload.

As others have pointed out, the drive to get here is insane. The mileage listed from other courses is deceiving and it will take you longer than you think.

Still, you should definately give it a go for yourself to decide if you will love it or hate it.

New in Placerville

1    10/18/2008   10/22/2008
Review By: beauzen
Pros: Nice setting. Some fun holes.
Cons: Still a little rough; tee pads only on a few holes, and others hard to find; some blind holes with some nasty brush hidden 'around the corner'. Tight fence line along one hole.
Other Thoughts: It's nice to have a full-service cafe right at hole #1. Very twisty road to get to it. This course has some nice potential, but it looks like it will require some serious maintenance to keep it playing well.