Layout Extinct

Lakewood, CO
Red Rocks Comm. College DGC - Old Layout Share
Uploaded By: Camgolfer Hole #1 (Taken 6/2009)

Quick, fast course.

1    4/29/2010   5/2/2010
Review By: wolito
This review was updated on 7/15/2010
Pros: Placed on a college campus with parking next to the first tee. For only 9 holes, there is good variety here. Hole two is long and open and there are a few that are crowded with trees. Baskets are in great shape. Teepads range from dirt to gravel to sidewalk. Teesigns on most of the holes. Great views of the surrounding mountains, this might actually be the best thing about the course.
Cons: Nothing too exciting here. Nothing too long to challenge the better players. A fairway driver and putter is probably all you need. Navigation issues on the course as to where to go to next. This is really a problem on some of the holes as I accidentally threw on the wrong baskets. I parked in the lot right next to the course, I think you need a permit or something to park there so you might want to watch that.
Other Thoughts: This is a quick course to play. If you were a student there you could easily play between classes. Short and quick that provides a good fix. If looking for a relaxing time, then hang out here, if you need to challenge your game, probably want to go someplace else. I could see it as getting rather boring for a beginner in no time at all.

Not What It Used To Be

2-4    10/18/2009   10/19/2009
Review By: bookmunkie
Pros: For me it's within walking distance of home and for the many students at Red Rocks Community College it's extremely convenient. Rumor has it that the course will be expanded to 18 holes.
Cons: In my opinion the course is poorly maintained. For a school campus I am shocked by the amount of alcohol bottles and cans littering the course and the lack of appropriate receptacles. The tee markers were never sunk into the ground deeply enough and have consequently been pulled up, knocked over, and thrown around, and have never been put back. The first change made to the course in the time I've been playing there was moving the 9th tee but the sign notifying players was flimsy cardboard that didn't last long and the old tee marker was never removed which confused new players.

I also think the transition to the new layout has been handled rather poorly. The school has apparently made maps, but they're impossible to get a hold of. The holes haven't been renumbered where needed, which is as simple an undertaking as putting stickers on the baskets. The worst part is the redone 9th hole and the new 4th hole. The 4th hole is too short to be any sort of a challenge and the 9th hole is short and requires a blind throw over trees making it easy to lose a disk or hit players flowing you on the course.
Other Thoughts: If it weren't the only course within walking distance of my apartment I would quit playing at this course until the rumored expansion to 18 holes.

Also, a quick note, I selected 2-4 for number of times played; that's just since the changes made. I've played at this course at least once a week for about a year now

Gone are the days

5+    10/18/2009   10/18/2009
Review By: DGWookie
This review was updated on 7/22/2011
Pros: This is more of an update to make mention of the course changes

#1 plays the same. The long #2 and #3 holes across the open field are no more. #2 tee pad is a painted portion of sidewalk that plays over to the old #3 basket. #4 that went across the gully is now #3. New #4 is a way too easy filler hole. 5 - 8 play the same way. #9 has been changed also. The basket is now a little east of the old tee pad and you play it blind from behind trees and scrub.
Cons: Signature #9 hole is gone. No more tomahawks over the roof or drives under the walkway :(

Ready For Change

1    8/14/2009   8/15/2009
Review By: TalbotTrojan
Pros: Nice baskets are probably the best thing about this course. There are some good holes that have a good amount of risk and reward. The weeds were mowed on the holes off of grass. There is a good varience in lengths and you will be asked to throw several different types of shots. The special features of this course and the use of the land make it a good and unique experience. The course is located near the heart of this community college campus offering some nicer ameneties. And apparently there is somewhere that you can pick up a map of the course.
Cons: The longer holes are all wide open taking away some difficulty that could have been there. There is only nine holes right now. The tee pads are marked only by a post in the ground with a number offering no information as to where the hole is or where the actual teeing line is. Based on the worn paths in the dirt people have attempted to move tees closer to holes than were origionally intended. This course plays around a nice community college but the current layout could force the course to close for school events. When school is in session I would imagine that this course will get busy, especially with first timers. The regular crowd that appeared to be there when I was there was not what I would call your typical disc golf crowd and not in the positive sense. Unless you know the course you will have to rely on inconsistently worn paths to find your way around without a map.
Other Thoughts: I was able to play this course for the first time with jroll from DGCR who has played this course before. It made the negatives about this course really not matter as much. The best news that I got from this round is that they are planning on making this course an 18 holer in the nest couple of months using land that you can see from the current coruse that looks great for DG. The sad news behind this is that a few of the signature holes will be cut from the course in all likelihood. I say this mostly in reference to hole 9 which goes under an indoor pedestrian walkway with lots of cement posts to miss. There is great potential for this course when it changes but get out and play in now before it does.

Fun little course

5+    7/14/2009   7/24/2009
Review By: progolfer33
This review was updated on 9/19/2009
Pros: For students of the college, this is a great way to waste a little time by playing a very decent 9-hole course. There is a good mixture of long and short, power and finesse.

This course is rarely busy, especially during the day, so sometimes I find myself using the holes for putting practice
Cons: My two favorite holes here play across a soccer field, but these holes also cause the course to close regularly for events.

I also wish that the course was 18-hole, but they did the best with what they had.

My only grip with the course itself is the 9th hole. It may be the most memorable, but it is also my least favorite. I have heard that they plan on changing the hole, so kudos to that.
Other Thoughts: I just recently learned that I was playing the wrong tee on the 9th hole. Make sure you don't play the first one and that you make the trek across the creek to the much better one.

Fun with hills

1    5/30/2009   7/2/2009
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: The most memorable hole on this course plays under a pedestrian catwalk that connects two buildings on the campus. It plays slightly up hill and forces you to take a low line. The others play up and down a hillside with sparse trees mostly the short types you would find in the prairie as you near the mountains. The natural setting parts of the course are pretty fun. When the course gets out of the trees it compensates by either being long or having tricky elevation changes.

I was able to gain access to the main building and use the washroom like a normal human being. If not a golfer will have to make plans before hand because there isn't any other places nearby to use. This course is pretty fun. When I played, on a weekend it was not very crowded. Pretty and scenic piece of land that overlooks the city and has a front row seat to the mountains. A good smattering of birdie opportunities and being able to walk a natural setting made the course fun for me.
Cons: I was not a big fan of the holes that just traverse across a giant group of soccer fields. Plus I imagine that when they are in use they are unplayable. On the plus side, these two holes are quite long which always somehow makes up for being wide open. I could see bumping the score up if it had the amenities such as signs and cement tee pads that lessor pieces of land have at other courses.
Other Thoughts: I'm unsure of how the course is with from basket to next tee issues because I played with a great tour guide. I really enjoyed having a stress free round that I was waiting in line to throw. If I weren't so tired from playing another course that day I sure I could have played this course two or three times in a row. Being right in the foothills imagine that wind can be a common issue. I got to play this course in the summer and there were not many students around, I can only imagine how different of a scene this courses is when school in full session.

okay...

1    6/24/2009   6/24/2009
Review By: P_eye
Pros: Mountains nearby. Elevation changes. Pretty girls walking by.
Cons: Short and boring. Lack of signs.
Other Thoughts: Not sure why this gets 3 stars? People scoring this a 3 messes up the grading scale. I played Johnny Roberts right after playing this and it was waaay better. It scores a 3.5...

Nice little course!

5+    6/18/2009   6/18/2009
Review By: waynewf
Pros: Very scenic course with a little mix of terrain that makes it interesting. I am biased because I only live 10 minutes away, but I really like this little course. You don't need to be overly powerful to play well here. #4 and #9 are both very fun holes that I will sometimes play over and over when there's not many people around.
Cons: It's a little on the short side and can have a high amount of pedestrian traffic with the school. I've never had this issue, but I could see it happening. I also wish this course was 18 holes. They appear to have the space to do it, but I'm not sure they will.
Other Thoughts: Overall I really enjoy this course, I wouldn't drive too far out of my way to play it, but there's enough disc golf out this way, you could easily play 3 courses in an afternoon.

Very Enjoyable

2-4    4/22/2009   4/23/2009
Review By: Camgolfer
This review was updated on 6/20/2009
Pros: There are many different types of holes in the course. You have some straightaways free of obstacles and some that have many trees lining the fairway. This course offers elevation changes. The grounds are well maintaned. Bakset to tee box walk is a good flow. Most holes are easy to find after the completion of the previous hole. Hole 9 makes for a very intersting and challenging shot through a big bank of trees and under a tight bridge. I enjoyed the 4th hole and the 6th hole. This course has opportunites for every type of shot. This course is good for tag plays and a nice place to enjoy the sun setting over the Rocky Mountains as you band the chains.
Cons: The tee pads seemed a little worse for the wear. I can only assume that the snow and rain in the past few weeks has cause the crushed gravel tee boxes to wear away. The tee boxes could have better signage as to which hole and which way you are throwing. No huge cons other than I wish it were an 18 hole course.
Other Thoughts: There is a lot of wildlife in this park. I would be careful for larger wildlife in the dusk and early evening hours out here. The Community College has done a good job at making a nice little course. The makes use of different shots and ways to get out of situations. A very solid three course. I imagine it is the biggest recreation draw on campus because the halfpipe near hole 1 is sad.

I just learned today that the school would prefers golfers to use the new tee area for hole #9. This tee is on the other side of the ditch area. Cross under the bridge and it is to your right side.

2-4    3/25/2009   3/26/2009
Review By: jroll
Pros: This is a great quick course for someone without a lot of time or a group doing a tour of the three small courses in the area (2 people, 2 rounds = 1 hour), nice and technical for most of the round. Love hole 4 when I don't overthrow it. # 9 under the bridge is fun and frustrating at the same time. Great course for someone looking to learn the game. I only wish it was 18. there is potential for expansion at some point. Bathrooms and water refills available
Cons: Short, hole # 9 bending your plastic, hole 2 and 3 are long and wide open with zero obstacles. the occasional gigantic group of new players.
Other Thoughts: There are a few spots with amazing views and overall is a nice clean course. great for the occasional quick round or the students but that's about it