Dunedin, FL
Hammock Park Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #9A

1    1/10/2014   1/20/2014
Review By: reposado
Pros: There are some cool shots here when the course veers away from the field and into the trees. Essentially this means 7 and 8. At under two hundred feet, they are among the shorter holes on the course but they sport cool little lines through the trees and 8 has a nicely raised pins. The narrow tunnel from the alternate pad on 2 is also very cool, and the respite from throwing across the open field and areas populated by park-goers is quite welcome.

There is also a good amount of variety, with the aforementioned tosses through the woods and the long, open shots across the central field of the park. The park seems to be well-kept and the course should appeal greatly to beginners since every hole is either short or open. Really not a bad place for a round, if not one worth traveling to.
Cons:
However, a bunch of holes are fairly boring and unmemorable. With only nine holes, that's unfortunate and, yes, there are really only nine holes. The back nine are just alternate pads. They don't play exactly the same, but I've seen just as much and more variation from eighteen-basket courses that have multiple tee pads without calling them additional holes.

You might even say that there are eight holes, as nine barely counts unless you fancy throwing over people's cars. My car was the only one in the lot so I took the risk, but I wouldn't want to play it if any other cars were there. It's too bad, as it could have been a cool hole with some water to the right and then the basket in a nook that can be reached only with a perfect left-to-right drive. "Other stuff is a problem on some of the other holes too, with buildings in several fairways and paths across most of them. It's not a course that would play well with others using the park.

It's also really hard to find some of the tees. Bring a map or be prepared to download one, because otherwise you probably won't find all nine. Even with a map, the posts can be hard to spot.
Other Thoughts: This could be a fun course, especially once you know where the tees are, where to park and at what times it will be most playable. But with only a few holes of interest, it's not one I would recommend to visitors looking for a challenging round.

Simple, but surprising!

1    11/11/2012   1/13/2013
Review By: RussMB
Pros: -Very nice, well maintained neighborhood park rec course.
-Great for beginners, casual, and regular players
-Designed to be a small course, but the layout provides a fun course
-Dual tee's provide an 18 hole round, or a quick 9
-Tee's are natural with a sign posts
-Map available at bulletin board and this site
-Offers a nice variety of tight wooded shots to open field throws
FWIW
-Shelter house
-Biking trail nearby
Cons: -It's a small rec course, so there's not a lot to complain about
-without a map, it can be difficult to navigate
-One hole is a parking lot carry. (I was praying the group in front of me didn't hit my truck. I wasn't aware I parked in the 9th fairway)
-The other group playing was well in front of me, but if there was more people out it could become a cluster bunch.
-Birthday Parties and Family gatherings are quite common in parks on the weekends. I can see a park like this being unusable if they use the field for a spontaneous softball game.
-In the wooded area: A walking trail in the woods intersects with the DG course, plus there was some sort of Scout sitting area as well. I doubt paths cross all that often, but you may want to look before you throw
Other Thoughts: This is a small rec course in a neighborhood park. It's not one I would drive out of my way to play, but I found myself having a good time! It is small, but it can have a decent fun factor if you let it. If you have a map, navigation shouldn't be too difficult. If this park was close to where I lived, I'd probably frequent it often. This is not Cliff Stevens, so if you come here just keep that in mind. Some of the holes are very short, so you should walk away with a decent score. I think I played 9 holes here in about 25 minutes by myself, but I found myself enjoying the walk through the park as well.

This is the kind of course where you could take your non-playing friends to play a few rounds. It's not a destination course, so keep that in mind before you drive out here to play. The people that play here are typically the locals that live nearby. I met some players on the course, and they were super nice. They told me when their doubles rounds were, as well as some meetup times at the other bigger courses. So in retro, its small, it's short, and it's a long drive from Tampa. If you are okay with that, then check it out.

Not as relaxing as a Hammock

1    2/1/2012   2/24/2012
Pros: 1) Signs have Distance Hole Tee Location (A and B) are more of just a pole but they do the trick.

2) Some interesting shots which was surprising because when you walk into the park it does not look like much at all.

3) Baskets are in decent condition.

4) There is actually a really nice variety of foliage density here ranging from wide open, to somewhat wooded, to tight tunnels. There also is a variety of the type of trees/plants that create the holes fairways which is nice to see.

5) Water is in play on a couple of the holes.

6) Distance variation is pretty good on each 9 and overall for the 18 different shots.

7) Interesting basket locations on a couple of holes make this course worth playing.

8) The lawn seems to be mowed well, the wooded holes seem fairly clean, and the overall maintenance seems to be just fine.

9) Relatively beginner friendly but still has some challenges too.
Cons: 1) The layout of the A and B positions can create bottlenecks with other park users . . . fairways definitely cross and the walks between holes can also be very confusing so it is pretty dangerous if there are other disc golfers in the park.

2) I can imagine the safety will be an issue if it hasn't been already. One hole you throw over a picnic area/rain shelter. One hole you throw directly up a walking path. #9 throws over the parking lot/cul-de-sac.

3) Confusing routing depending on what tees you are playing.

4) Natural teepads are terrible and
rutted out. Fortunately the soil is sandy otherwise they would be completely muddy.

5) No signs to help you figure out where the baskets are for the hole . . . you have to guess based on the direction of the wear pattern on the tee. There are also too many basket visible from a couple of those inner holes to really know for sure which way you are headed.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed most of these holes from a strictly disc golf standpoint but when I take into account the routing, safety, and general things the course drops dramatically in my mind. I am thrilled I played it when there was only one other group of people playing and only one bystander. I was concerned I was going to have to ask the guy to move like 5 times though so I often times just threw around him rather than yelling and asking him to move. If there were other disc golfers here this would be a nightmare and there would be serious issues. Like I said however, the throws are great for the most part, only a couple boring shots. The variety was also pretty good for such a small property. I lost one of my longtime favorite drivers here . . .yellow Pro Starfire (SL). I overshot #8 to the left and it ended up underneath whatever water pipe runs down that channel. I tried to get it with a stick but I wasn't willing to go much further to try and retrieve it . . . not knowing if it was a gator filled area.

Passable Little Course

1    1/6/2010   1/8/2010
Review By: Roller Coasters
This review was updated on 1/9/2010
Pros: Quaint little course in a nature preserve type park. There is a very good map that is posted on the announcement board near the first tee. It is the same map that is linked on this site. I had the map page up on my iPhone during the round and it helped immensely. The baskets are in good shape.
Cons: There is no defined tee area for any hole. There is a post with each tee number, but the actual tee area is a bit nebulous. The map shows distances for two tee locations, but I couldn't find any real markings for the closer position. The first three holes are in some serious vegetation.
Other Thoughts: In spite of the earlier reviews, which are more than 4 years old, I enjoyed my round at this course. I parked in a different parking lot by the baseball fields so I had a very long walk to through the nature preserve to get to the course. There is a parking lot right by the course, you just have to find it. Once I got to the park, it took me a little while to figure out the first couple of holes. The basket for #1 is not marked and it is so close to the tee that I had a hard time believing that it was really hole #1. The hole can't be more than 150 feet. Even though it was very short with the basket visible, I lost my disc not more than 20 feet from the hole. There is a lot of vegetation around it. Hole #2 is just as treacherous and woodsy. There is really no window, just a shot through or around a lot of overgrowth with hazards on each side. I spent about 15 minutes looking for my tee shot in spite of the fact that I knew exactly where it landed. Hole #3 is also in the woods, but there is a very narrow window to shoot through. The basket is in the middle of an outdoor amphitheatre. Hole #4 and the rest of the course is out in the open area of the park and much more enjoyable. Holes 4-9 offer some good variety and challenge without the risk of losing a disc. Hole #7 was my favorite. It is a woodsy type tee shot to the basket on a 10 foot tall mound. There are at least three good paths to the hole with good risk/reward for each. Hole #9 is also a challenge with the tee shot heading into the parking lot. I'm not sure if the local rules play the paved parking lot as out of bounds or not, but if it is, there is a very small landing area before the approach shot heads into the woods. It would take a very long anny shot to make it to the hole.

The course was getting a lot of use on the day I was there with at least five groups of golfers on the course. Now that I know that layout, subsequent rounds will be even more enjoyable. The course is lacking the basics and amenities that would allow it to get a higher rating and I was torn between 1.5 and 2, but the variety of shots and the park itself lead me to give it the benefit of the doubt and go with the 2 discs.