Dunedin, FL
Hammock Park Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #9A

1    1/10/2014   1/20/2014
Review By: reposado
Pros: There are some cool shots here when the course veers away from the field and into the trees. Essentially this means 7 and 8. At under two hundred feet, they are among the shorter holes on the course but they sport cool little lines through the trees and 8 has a nicely raised pins. The narrow tunnel from the alternate pad on 2 is also very cool, and the respite from throwing across the open field and areas populated by park-goers is quite welcome.

There is also a good amount of variety, with the aforementioned tosses through the woods and the long, open shots across the central field of the park. The park seems to be well-kept and the course should appeal greatly to beginners since every hole is either short or open. Really not a bad place for a round, if not one worth traveling to.
Cons:
However, a bunch of holes are fairly boring and unmemorable. With only nine holes, that's unfortunate and, yes, there are really only nine holes. The back nine are just alternate pads. They don't play exactly the same, but I've seen just as much and more variation from eighteen-basket courses that have multiple tee pads without calling them additional holes.

You might even say that there are eight holes, as nine barely counts unless you fancy throwing over people's cars. My car was the only one in the lot so I took the risk, but I wouldn't want to play it if any other cars were there. It's too bad, as it could have been a cool hole with some water to the right and then the basket in a nook that can be reached only with a perfect left-to-right drive. "Other stuff is a problem on some of the other holes too, with buildings in several fairways and paths across most of them. It's not a course that would play well with others using the park.

It's also really hard to find some of the tees. Bring a map or be prepared to download one, because otherwise you probably won't find all nine. Even with a map, the posts can be hard to spot.
Other Thoughts: This could be a fun course, especially once you know where the tees are, where to park and at what times it will be most playable. But with only a few holes of interest, it's not one I would recommend to visitors looking for a challenging round.

Best bud's home turf

1    7/9/2013   9/21/2013
Review By: nitron2097
Pros: Well, it isn't Cliff Stephens, but that doesn't mean it's not a challenge.

Hammock Park is one of those courses where, if you haven't played there, you're probably thinking it's your typical small park course.
Truthfully, you'll be fine with a mid and a putter here, but there are plenty of challenges. The extra nine tees make this an incredible play. A couple holes are wide open, a few offer one or two simple obstacles that need a line to miss, some are wooded, and others are flat out sadistic; something for everyone! Though it's tighter than Youth Park and about as short as Azalea, it's nowhere near as repetitive.

It's attached to Hammock Park, so there's plenty to do. And the neighborhood is nice; my best buddy lives up this way and we play here a lot.

Close to the Pinellas Trail, so it's accessible by bike or feet.

Restrooms in Hammock Park and a few picnic shelters, along with nature trails and a playground, so something for the whole family.

Very close to St. Andrews (just north up Alt. 19) if you're a ball golfer and a "frolfer."
Cons: No concrete pads. I could care less, but others may care more.

Navigation is difficult; no signage. The map is helpful but you have to know where north is.

Distances are written on the concrete tee markers but I'm not sure of the accuracy; some seem way off.

A couple tees force you to throw over the parking lot. Don't like this a whole lot; park near the picnic shelter if you can.

There's stagnant water around with the canals and ditches so bugs can be a problem, especially in the summer.
Other Thoughts: Declaring mando's here can be a lot of fun with the variety of lines and obstacles available (my favorite is through the picnic shelters so long as they're empty).

Not a course I'd go out of my way to play, but if you're tooling by on Alt. 19, definitely give it a throw. It's worth it.

Packed With Fun!

1    3/10/2013   3/10/2013
Review By: davmer2303
Pros: * Good variety of hole lengths from half putter shots to regular drives...
* Has some holes inside the forest/trees that offer great technical lines...
* Two sets of tees offer an effective "back nine" for the course.
* good challenge on basket placement with some on hills or close to water.
* Very good "fun factor" with each shot requiring thought and placement.
* Holes go from open, partially wooded, to extremely wooded, so your brain is always engaged.
Cons: * Pads are natural, which could be a con to some.
* Holes don't have actual signage, so some of the baskets are hard to find. (just ask a local)
* One shot (9) carries over the parking lot which makes for an interesting hole yes...But can potentially have issues of property or personal damage.
* Many walkers and bikers.
Other Thoughts: This is a multi use park with hiking, fishing, biking, and a nice playground. As a note, hole one is located in the youth guild area to the left, not in Hammock park proper. When you enter just head to the left parking lot instead of the right. It could be a great day for a DG family with kids. I found the park itself to be very lovely, and am personally enticed to come back for a full day including the other things the park offers. The above "cons" really aren't so bad, and the course itself really is for the thinking person. If you have already played some of the more known courses in the area, why not come here for some fun? The locals were very helpful, and overall it was a very good experience.

Simple, but surprising!

1    11/11/2012   1/13/2013
Review By: RussMB
Pros: -Very nice, well maintained neighborhood park rec course.
-Great for beginners, casual, and regular players
-Designed to be a small course, but the layout provides a fun course
-Dual tee's provide an 18 hole round, or a quick 9
-Tee's are natural with a sign posts
-Map available at bulletin board and this site
-Offers a nice variety of tight wooded shots to open field throws
FWIW
-Shelter house
-Biking trail nearby
Cons: -It's a small rec course, so there's not a lot to complain about
-without a map, it can be difficult to navigate
-One hole is a parking lot carry. (I was praying the group in front of me didn't hit my truck. I wasn't aware I parked in the 9th fairway)
-The other group playing was well in front of me, but if there was more people out it could become a cluster bunch.
-Birthday Parties and Family gatherings are quite common in parks on the weekends. I can see a park like this being unusable if they use the field for a spontaneous softball game.
-In the wooded area: A walking trail in the woods intersects with the DG course, plus there was some sort of Scout sitting area as well. I doubt paths cross all that often, but you may want to look before you throw
Other Thoughts: This is a small rec course in a neighborhood park. It's not one I would drive out of my way to play, but I found myself having a good time! It is small, but it can have a decent fun factor if you let it. If you have a map, navigation shouldn't be too difficult. If this park was close to where I lived, I'd probably frequent it often. This is not Cliff Stevens, so if you come here just keep that in mind. Some of the holes are very short, so you should walk away with a decent score. I think I played 9 holes here in about 25 minutes by myself, but I found myself enjoying the walk through the park as well.

This is the kind of course where you could take your non-playing friends to play a few rounds. It's not a destination course, so keep that in mind before you drive out here to play. The people that play here are typically the locals that live nearby. I met some players on the course, and they were super nice. They told me when their doubles rounds were, as well as some meetup times at the other bigger courses. So in retro, its small, it's short, and it's a long drive from Tampa. If you are okay with that, then check it out.

Great course!

2-4    5/10/2012   5/13/2012
Review By: Docta
Pros: This course is a lot of fun; and even though I have played every other course in the county, this has become one of my favorites. Although some of the holes are on wide open fields, most are in tight technical woods. Playing here is a bit cerebral... you have to examine the tight woods and look for a window that you can slip your disc through. To pull a good game you will need to pull out all kinds of throws... you will need a highly controlled front and back hand throw to get your disc near the pin as there are some sharp turns left and right. On some holes there is really no other good choice than to throw a big hyzer spike or tomohawk over the tree tops to get close. The natural landscape that some of the holes are located on is almost magical and totally Floridian.
Cons: At first its hard to get used to no established tee pads; but thats really no big deal; you just play from near the marker. Two holes play over the parking lot; I think thats a bad idea.
Other Thoughts: Check out this course. Keep an open mind. If your a big arm with no finesse game this course will frustrate you... that's no reason not to play it; there are lessons to be learned here. If you think it out and use the force you will have a great time here.

Not as relaxing as a Hammock

1    2/1/2012   2/24/2012
Pros: 1) Signs have Distance Hole Tee Location (A and B) are more of just a pole but they do the trick.

2) Some interesting shots which was surprising because when you walk into the park it does not look like much at all.

3) Baskets are in decent condition.

4) There is actually a really nice variety of foliage density here ranging from wide open, to somewhat wooded, to tight tunnels. There also is a variety of the type of trees/plants that create the holes fairways which is nice to see.

5) Water is in play on a couple of the holes.

6) Distance variation is pretty good on each 9 and overall for the 18 different shots.

7) Interesting basket locations on a couple of holes make this course worth playing.

8) The lawn seems to be mowed well, the wooded holes seem fairly clean, and the overall maintenance seems to be just fine.

9) Relatively beginner friendly but still has some challenges too.
Cons: 1) The layout of the A and B positions can create bottlenecks with other park users . . . fairways definitely cross and the walks between holes can also be very confusing so it is pretty dangerous if there are other disc golfers in the park.

2) I can imagine the safety will be an issue if it hasn't been already. One hole you throw over a picnic area/rain shelter. One hole you throw directly up a walking path. #9 throws over the parking lot/cul-de-sac.

3) Confusing routing depending on what tees you are playing.

4) Natural teepads are terrible and
rutted out. Fortunately the soil is sandy otherwise they would be completely muddy.

5) No signs to help you figure out where the baskets are for the hole . . . you have to guess based on the direction of the wear pattern on the tee. There are also too many basket visible from a couple of those inner holes to really know for sure which way you are headed.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed most of these holes from a strictly disc golf standpoint but when I take into account the routing, safety, and general things the course drops dramatically in my mind. I am thrilled I played it when there was only one other group of people playing and only one bystander. I was concerned I was going to have to ask the guy to move like 5 times though so I often times just threw around him rather than yelling and asking him to move. If there were other disc golfers here this would be a nightmare and there would be serious issues. Like I said however, the throws are great for the most part, only a couple boring shots. The variety was also pretty good for such a small property. I lost one of my longtime favorite drivers here . . .yellow Pro Starfire (SL). I overshot #8 to the left and it ended up underneath whatever water pipe runs down that channel. I tried to get it with a stick but I wasn't willing to go much further to try and retrieve it . . . not knowing if it was a gator filled area.

this course sucks

1    10/8/2011   1/8/2012
Review By: tedy4444
Pros: there isnt much to brag about here
Cons: this park was not really worth the drive. though there are 2 pads for each of the 9 holes, they are poorly placed and getting around it tough to figure out.
Other Thoughts: standing water means mosquitos are here during summer
(its alweays summer here)

Huge Waste of Time

1    12/28/2011   12/29/2011
Review By: arajski
Pros: Baskets - They have baskets.

Alternate fairways - The back 9 has SOME holes where you shoot at the basket from completely different angles making those few holes feel very different than the front 9.
Cons: Layout - This course looks like drunk 4 year old designed it. If you look at a map, you can see fairways crossing each other. The "tee pads" for some holes are in the fairway of other holes. The course is a 9 hole course with alternate "tee pads."

Direction - I had no idea where I was going half the time. I had a map of the course and I still had are hard time figuring my way around.

Holes 1/10, 2/11, 3/12 - The first 3 holes are a joke; they are through the woods with barely any fairway windows. There are trees everywhere on those holes. It seems like they ran out of room when designing this course and randomly put them here.

Hole 9 - This hole was terrible. The fairway is tiny surrounded by the "parking lot" and little creek.

Variety - There was barely any variety. I never pulled out my drivers, I only played with midranges and putters.

Parking Lot - There was no parking here. I was told that where ever I park, my car was likely to get hit.

Pads - The course didn't have any tee pads, it was just dirt holes.
Other Thoughts: My friend and I could really only play the front 9 holes. We were bored by hole 6. This is the worse course I've ever played. I went there just because I want to play all the courses in the area. But it honestly looks like they saw a plot of land, closed their eyes and started planning. If you are even a mildly decent disc golfer, do not go here. It isn't worth the gas it would take to drive there.

1    11/8/2011   11/8/2011
Review By: captainobvious
Pros: - Beautiful park
- Variety of shots
- Alternate tees
- Shorter shots, but technical
Cons: - Bring a map! It will help out with telling which hole is what, but I believe they are fixing this problem.
- Be careful of some pedestrians
- No cement tees, but doesn't really effect play since shots are more technical than far
Other Thoughts: Great course, but really a 9 hole course. You play through on alternates to make it an 18, but it is a 9 hole so that you are aware.

Really liked it.

2-4    12/26/2010   8/3/2011
Review By: mcooley
Pros: Very technical, almost like a motocross track in some spots. Very different natural environment from my home course in the mountains, which might be why I liked it. Water comes into play. Has a couple long holes, too. #6 has a big, low tree that creates a great target for your drive. If you get it through the tree, you're sitting pretty.
Cons: A little short, only 9 holes. Can be tricky to figure out where you're going if it's your first time. But aren't they all like that?

Very flat, except for a couple holes.
Other Thoughts: Worth an hour of your time.