Skagway, AK
Hole #13 Target

Love this course

5+    9/24/2013   10/29/2013
Review By: Freddy Disko
Pros: Its a beautiful 18hole spot located on the skagway river surrounded by mountains. We throw at kegs instead of real course baskets wich was an awesome change. I love the challenge of each holes with the ammount of obsticles... Its a very short walk from either the docks or in town..
Cons: Its very windy on the back nine holes. #8#9#10 other than that this course is one of a kind
Other Thoughts: I cant wait to come back and play this summer with all my local friends

HAVE A MAP

1    7/30/2013   9/1/2013
Review By: JCone
Pros: Feels like you're in the middle of nowhere playing.
Lots of tight tee shots but still numerous lines to take to the pin.
Heavily wooded at the base of a mountain.
Unique, you'll never play a course like this.
Loved the keg baskets, felt unique and felt like I'd gone back in time to the early days of disc golf.
If on a cruise, easy to get to walk or catch a town bus/van.
Fun!
Take a water break as you get closer to the river, view is fantastic.
Mostly heavily shaded.
Cons: Not for everyone.
Tees can be difficult to find.
YOU NEED A MAP. Don't go into this course without a map, you'll hate that you did.
Dirt tees, although heavily compacted and you won't be using your x-step a lot so no big worries.
During summer the last 2 holes had grown up quite a bit.
Normally I complain about the trash but it appears the locals use beer bottles to guide the way... this is both appreciated and a minor annoyance. It's not out of hand, thank god.
Other Thoughts: I love this course and will forever be thankful that I got to play here. Had we spent more time in the area, I would have played a second round. If you're cruising, don't miss it.

Disc on in Skagway

1    6/15/2012   6/2/2013
Review By: gt700
This review was updated on 6/14/2013
Pros: If you are cruising Alaska, and you port in Skagway, this is a must stop! It is very walkable from ship thru the town to the park. Only about a mile or so. Once there follow directions to woods to tee #1. The "baskets" are kegs and they are all numbered. Everything else is pretty natural. The tee boxes are rocks and sticks. There are some signs and arrows pointing you to next hole. As others have said, there is a store that has maps. I found a cruise ship worker that gave me his map. It helped directing me in right area to next hole. There were some holes that cris cross, but there were not alot of people on course. After hole 16, you will walk about 100 yards along the Skagway river to tee #17, and then hole 18 plays back towards access road. These last 3 holes are the thickest area of course with tall grass/ bushes around. The course is pretty level.
Cons: The only real con was lack of signs and or a map at begining of course. There are 2 baseball fields with a concession area, but there were no workers. No games were going on,but there was an area where a map could be placed on a bulletin board.
Other Thoughts: The views on this course are great! You play in the woods for the most part but it was not like normal woods. There was not a lot of deep brush. The mountains and river make for some excellent picture taking. You are in pure Alasken air. Very nice break to all the retail aspect of each port. I finally added a map to media, somewhat tough to read, but will try to fix!

Fun and unique course

1    8/20/2012   9/6/2012
Review By: ricklev
Pros: -There's actually a course in Skagway!
-Aiming at kegs is fun
-Can walk or drive to from downtown
-Some challenging fairways with turns through the woods
Cons: -Hard to find way around
-I played on a beautiful day. Not sure what it's like with all the woods on a dreary day.
-If you don't come in on a cruise, may be hard to get to
Other Thoughts: I had a rental car, so it was easy to stop at the course on our way back from the Yukon (day trip). Had a great time playing a few holes, but didn't have time for the entire course because it was hard to find the tees.

Great Break from Cruise Crowd

1    6/22/2011   6/22/2011
Review By: gek76
Pros: Beautiful woods and scenery. I just stopped and looked up at the mountain and tree quite a few times. Wish we had views like this in Texas.
Challenging course, you will have to be precise or you will be off the fairway every easily. I wasn't precise and spent more time then I like trying to just get back to the fairway. Friendly local. From the guys at The Mountain Shop, who printed us up a map of the course, to the bus driver who took us out, which was slightly off his route, there everyone was nice and friendly.
Cons: Would have had to do a lot of hunting if I hadn't has the map from The Mountain Shop. Tee are mostly a few sticks marking where to throw from. Some signage at the park entrance and on the course would be great.
Other Thoughts: This was a great break from the crowds on the cruise ship. Got to get into some woods and breath in some fresh air. Even got a family member who doesn't play to come out with me just for the chance to get out into the woods.

I can't say enough about the locals. The guys at The Mountain Shop were friendly and went out of their way to find me a map of the course. If you are there pick up a disc or two to encourage the sport in the area. Only one bus goes out to the area where the course is. Had to buy a $5 all day pass to ride. The drive was nice and even drove us down into the park, which wasn't on his route, and pointed us in the direction of the first tee. Plus he came back by to pick us up.

This isn't a championship course but is was fun. Hitting the kegs was a delightful change and challenge. Course could use some TLC. I would encourage the local to tap into the cruise people coming in. I would have paid $20-30 to be picked up at the docks and taken out to play with a local guide.

The overlooked Cruise Excursion!

1    8/20/2010   8/24/2010
Review By: puaahunter
Pros: As the reviewer before me mentioned, this is a great way to get away from the "Cruise Crowds" and partake in a FREE excursion!
The folks at The Mountain Shop at 355 4th Avenue in Skagway were very helpful in gathering info about the course. They also have a small selection of discs there, including custom stamped ones.
The kegs were fun to play on. They were not difficult.
The course was BEAUTIFUL- trees, mountains, rivers, ALASKA!
Lots of birdies opportunities if you have a nice repertoire of shots.
well constructed natural teepads.
(mostly) good homemade course navigation.
some fairways look over crowded with brush from the teepad, but i never ran into any issues with lost discs.
Cons: With tempered expectations, this course is fantastic. There are many "cons" if comparing to a PDGA-type of course, but this is a homegrown, down-to-earth, Backroads-Alaska Disc Golf Course at it's finest!
Other Thoughts: a must visit if you're cruising through Alaska!

One reviewer said you can walk, but the city bus is free from downtown ($2 charge only applies to the stretch out to the cruise ship docks). Take it out to the "gardens" and get off right after the big bridge, then walk out past the baseball fields. It is also near the train yard, if that helps give you a landmark reference.
Stop in at The Mountain Shop on 4th street for a map and a disc or two before heading out there.

My experience was greatly enjoyable.

Skagway

1    9/11/2008   4/28/2010
Review By: bassgod9
Pros: Fun course to get out of the "cruise crowd" while in Skaway. Kegs are fun, had never seen them used before. Nice course layout, easy to follow and not busy at all. We were able to walk from the cruise ship, play a round, and walk back without any trouble.
Cons: Incredibly windy when we were there. But this friendly white dog showed up and led us to our discs.
Other Thoughts: Beautiful scenes throughout the course - a must play if you're traveling through Skagway.

Worth a visit

1    9/9/2009   11/21/2009
Review By: Crazydriver
Pros: Very technical fairways, but not brushy at all. We had no problem finding our discs. Holes are fairly short, so birdy opportunities are there unless you hit a tree. Course is well marked and easy to follow. I really enjoyed the beer keg targets. I mean baskets would be nice, but beer kegs beat wood posts. The course is obviously played a fair amount, although no one was there while we played.
Cons: We had only a light wind the day we played. If you don't like tree lined fairways, you won't like this course. I hit several, but then I swear my discs are tree magnets.
Other Thoughts: If you're in Skagway and you want to play disc golf, this is the place. Keep your expectations realistic and you won't be disappointed.

Skagua

5+    9/9/2008   2/2/2009
Review By: Djza
Pros: Great use of the space occupied. Excellent views of surrounding mountains and the Skagway river. Nothing too long, but lots of trees place importance on accuracyd. Never too much traffic on the course.
Cons: "Home of the North Wind" is one interpretation of the original native name for Skagway. You can imagine how that can affect discs when it is really ripping, though in the summer it is usually a south wind.
Other Thoughts: No on-site brewery like in Haines, but a great chance to get "out of town" just across the river for some outdoor fun. The ring-kegs are also fun to play on, and an amusing change from normal basket targets.