Pahoa, HI
Mackenzie State Park Share

Dangerous Beauty

1    11/14/2011   11/14/2011
Review By: lxdawg25
Pros: WOW, just wow, this has to be 100% the most beautiful course I've ever seen. It is impossible to even compare it to other courses. The locals were really friendly and the scenery was just amazing. I couldn't tell you what hole numbers they were but a few of the holes played right along cliffs next to the ocean. With surf pounding right next to you as you shoot, you get to throw it out over the edge and just watch it fly. I'm sure those braver than I would really be able to push the distance on these, I went out over the ocean but still played it safe.
I feel like i tend to be long worded with these but this one is simple. If you are in Hawaii (big island), find the hawaii castaways (local club) and get your self to this park, it will be well worth it. Even the drive through a local forest reserve was awesome.
Cons: This is an object course so if you're not used to it be prepared for a lot of "this skinny tree here with the white moss on the bottom". They did set up a few "chime" targets but do not expect to find a basket. It really isn't the end of the world but this course would be 100% unplayable without a guide until you've had 3 or 4 rounds under your belt.

Also we did have to skip a hole because as we were about to drive a car parked right in the middle of the fairway. With no labels and a lack of parking the tourists and park visitors do need to be kept in mind as a possibly dangerous situation could arise.
Other Thoughts: I really don't consider the local geography to be a con, but come prepared for disc loss, I had packed a few floaters in anticipation of a different course, wish I had packed some throw-away discs. I didn't lose any but would have liked to man-up on a few of my shots a bit more.

Also, since most of the time the club meets at 10am on sundays, as you head back into Hilo there is a farmers market in Puaho. I had the best chicken I've ever had in my life there. It is a must hit.

This is a very established and known object course, and is one of the coolest courses in the country as long as you can get past the lack of baskets. With a bit more permanence to the course this would easily the best course I've ever played. I don't know if the local clubs have pushed for this but it would be nice to see.