Riverside, CA
Van Buren Golf Center Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #9 (Taken 3/2009)

Not worth the money

1    7/17/2013   7/18/2013
Review By: entisol
Pros: 1) Only course in Riverside other than the 9 holer at Rancho Jurupa
2) You can opt for a golf cart
3) Since it is on a ball golf course the grass is in good condition
4) Two pin positions on each hole so you can play 2 rounds of 9 on the different pins for 18 holes total.
Cons: 1) The baskets are terrible. The chains they used must be for securing a tractor on a flatbed trailer because they are so heavy.
2) The price. Twelve dollars seems like a good deal when a cart is included, until you realize that you are supposed to pay again after you complete nine holes. After we had played 9 holes, we drove our cart back to Hole 1 and teed off to play the second pin positions and make it 18 holes. After teeing off a guy on a cart came screeching up and told us that we needed to check in at the office after our first round of 9. So we drove up there and they tried to make us pay again! 24 dollars for 18 holes? You have got to be kidding me!
3) Since it is on a ball golf course all the holes are wide open. No variety.
4) Can be very windy
Other Thoughts: Don't waste your money on this course. Any of the other nearby courses are worth the drive (Yucaipa, Glen Helen, Prado, etc).

bad ball golf = good disc golf

1    1/27/2013   1/28/2013
Review By: adamtheviking5
Pros: Unique (for me) experience playing on a ball golf course. Carts are a novelty. Staff is very cool. I threw a disc in the pond and i asked the guy in the proshop to borrow a rake. He didnt have one but he just handed me a random new disc.
Cons: Easy course. Confusing layout. Its supposed to be 18 but its 9 with several of the holes having 2 baskets. Also the baskets are very unique and do not play like normal mach 5's.
Other Thoughts: This is a very low end par 27 golf course and i probably wouldnt pay the $12 green fees to play ball golf here. But even a crappy b/g course makes a decent disc course. And everytime ive been here we've played for almost no cost.Sometimes they charge us $5 and give us the cart and sometimes the round is free but the cart is $2. I play it on the way home from work once in a while and its enjoyable.

Great Course...disappointing at night

1    1/11/2012   1/13/2012
Review By: scrowl92
Pros: great condition for disc golf. carts are available even for disc golfers. minimal water features haha.
Cons: difficult to follow at night due to the fact that the ball golf course changes for night time hours. Although the ball golf course changes, the disc golf course stays the same therefore causing confusion. if you get your disc stuck in a thick tree in the dark, kiss it goodbye because it is extremely difficult to see.
Other Thoughts: I would recommend for daytime play, but not worth the price for night time play.

Decent

1    6/9/2011   6/27/2011
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays on a ball golf course, it's not the most exclusive ball golf course but it's still impeccably maintained by disc golf standards. The layout has two baskets per ball golf hole, typically one on the left and one on the right. Many of the holes have two to three tee options which are nice grass tees that are level and in nice shape. They don't change the shot all that much, but they can change the distance quite a bit. A small pond comes into play on one hole, with one basket playing along the water on your upshot and the other with a water carry if you take the aggressive route.

The area is flat, but there are some small man-made hills. A few are used to protect some pins, and a couple are on the slopes offering some roll-away potential. A handful of shots call for left and right turning drives, I was expecting wide open shots and there weren't too terribly many. A couple holes were shorter and reachable, the rest were a mix of moderate to long shots with a couple nice bombs that required multiple drives.
Cons: The course is a little pricey for 9 tees and 18 baskets, even without renting a cart. Ball golfers tend to be slower, they let us play through but it still ended up being a pretty slow round. The course map isn't always totally accurate, making it difficult at times to know where to throw. A couple of the holes play parallel, and with the baskets on the edge of the fairway it's possible for errant shots to head toward other players. Though the terrain and trees available were used well, there are still several pretty open shots.
Other Thoughts: Newer players might be pretty frustrated by the distance on most of the holes here. More experienced players will find some nice challenges, and a surprising amount of variety for a flat ball golf course. I probably wouldn't want to pay quite this much on a regular basis for this level of course, but I had a good time playing it once.

Great place to splurge

2-4    4/3/2010   4/4/2010
Review By: Apothecary
Pros: -GOLF CARTS!
-The best manicured grass tees imaginable
-Mostly long, wide open shots. Bring the thunder.
-Alcohol-friendly. Pick up some beers to stock the carts at the snack shack (the beer cart is being refurbished).
-Snack shack has great, cheap home-made sandwiches and tacos (though don't order anything hot if you're in a rush...took about 20 minutes for one of our guys to get his burger. I swear I heard the cow they were slaughtering baying in the back of the kitchen.:).
-Club-toting peanut galleries to stroke your ego. Every bolfer we talked to were so stoked on seeing some discers throw far. Defiantly sewed some seeds. The course manager said we were the best he has seen and had the course record (shot a -3 on 22 holes). A very friendly, positive vibe from them.
-Bring your roller discs. The short grass on the fairways and the long, open nature of most of the shots make this course perfect for rolling.
-Friendly pro shop staff and a few discs (like 15 or 20 visible) for sale if you forgot one of yours.
Cons: -Tee signs are in yardage
-Danger of being hit by golf balls, both from other beginners that frequent the course and from the big dogs crushing them on the driving range. The retaining net has many a hole and there are golf balls all over the fairway on 10/20. A guy on our card threw a roller on 10 and it rolled into the driving range. This course would benefit greatly from repairing that safety net.
-Pricey. $18 per person per 22 holes, which includes carts. $12 if you choose to walk (weekend prices). It's defiantly walkable (longest holes are in the mid 400's), but the golf carts are just so much more fun!
-Weird, deep, home-made (not PDGA-approved) baskets that don't make the right noise when you hit the chains. The plus side is that your discs can't end up resting atop the baskets. They will drop through the open top, into the chains.
-No maps make determining the correct pin to aim at a chore. Some blind baskets compound the problem. My biggest pet peeve of the course.
Other Thoughts: This place is a work in progress that has MAD potential. There are 18 holes for bolf and 22 for frolf. Each of the 11 tees used for disc golf has 2 baskets. Tons of land on the other side of the tunnel beg for more legit holes. Why they didn't put baskets on that side of the course is beyond me.:

Apparently the local DGers are embracing the place. Every staff member we spoke with tried to get us to sign up for their new DG league (pushing REALLY hard...maybe just put up a flier and mention it when you pay to play. You don't need to send out the DG rep to come bug the people who are playing. We get it. You have a league. You want people to join. Please leave us alone.)

Hole maps, footage indicators and legit holes on all of the 18 tees would make Van Buren feel much more homey for the DG community, but, overall, they're doing a great job. Incredibly friendly and enthusiastic staff who seem intent on making the DGers who check the place out feel welcome.

If you have a few bucks to drop, I recommend taking a cart for a spin as you crush em on this big-gun friendly course.

Best that the IE has to offer...

2-4    11/27/2009   12/2/2009
Review By: Danger
This review was updated on 5/7/2011
Pros: *****REVIEW UPDATED AT END*****

-Long, open drives.
-All well groomed grass offering great opportunities for rollers.
-Lights, you can play until 9:50 at night.
-22ish holes, I'll get back to that at the end of this review.
-Very quiet at night.
-Drinking is legal here, they have a no outside food or drink policy but they sell libations there. Except on Sunday, as we learned.
-White Fly 18 baskets are easy to spot at night, most of the time.
Cons: -Fly 18 baskets lead to quite the non-climatic finish on each hole. They are silent!
-Green Fee is a little high. $48 for 4 of us without carts makes this our most expensive ever. Well get carts next time so it can re-claim itself that position:)
-Some baskets are not in the light at night time.
-The course circles a driving range. Some holes in the driving range fence make for some particularly dangerous areas on the course, keep an eye out for areas with lots of stray balls, and watch your head.
-The holes are all numbered with a big, clear number near the golf hole. The last two skip from 10 and 11, to 12 and 13. Regardless, navigation is easy if you have half a brain and a map.
-Watch your footing, there are many marshy areas on this course. I ended up soaking one of my feet by stepping into a hidden hole full of fail.
Other Thoughts: A detailed map is provided once you pay. Distances are all provided as well as course rules.
The course plays ball golf greens as OB, but we didn't. Imagine a large circle of OB in front of every pin on your favorite course. Kinda sucks, right?

Holes can get a bit repetitive, as this is set on a ball golf course. What this translates to, is every shot being a wide open unobstructed drive, with some possible obstacles near the pin, which is usually located on a lightly wooded hill near the ball greens.

At night, crowds have not been an issue thus far. Two of us played far faster than a solo ball golfer, who let us tee off first. Aside from some drunken guys in golf carts, we were alone for the vast majority of the time on both visits.

The 22 holes actually plays itself around the 11 hole ball golf course twice. Most tee's have two baskets, but some don't. There are a total of 18 different 'holes,' utilizing a total of 17 baskets. With 3 tee locations at each hole, there are 54 possible holes. It is my belief that the pin locations never change.

Current weekend prices are $9 for 11 holes, $12 for 22, and $18 with a cart. If you get a cart, everybody has to pay for one. I think prices are about $3 cheaper on weekdays. Beer is $3.50 - $5 at the pro shop, with occasional specials.

We had a great time playing at night, these are the best lights I have seen so far in So Cal. Easy to find all of our discs. I can see this course being annoying if its busy with ball golfers.
We did not find carts to be necessary, and in fact, I think it would actually make the game take longer if everybody does not have their own. I can only imagine yelling 'hey can you move your cart? Its in my way!'

UPDATE: They have redesigned the ball golf course, which means design changes to the Disc Golf course. They are not for the better and are not reflected on the map. I have lowered my rating from 3.5 to 2.5 until this issue is resolved as this course is no longer fun or worth going out of the way for.

1    9/5/2009   9/12/2009
Review By: Lhana
Pros: The baskets are spread out. Challenging at some baskets. Nicely kept grounds. Beer on tap, food, and drinks. Nice selection of discs for sale. Lights until 9:50.
Cons: The pricier of the courses Ive been too. Soggy at some parts, so be careful on getting your cart stuck. Some baskets are a little confusing to find...but you'll get it.
Other Thoughts: One of my favorite courses

Skip it

1    8/27/2009   8/28/2009
Review By: coast2coast
Pros: Three sets of tees per hole, and many have dual baskets. Course navigation is fairly easy. One shot is over water and forces you to go for it or lay up (I went for it and lost one right in the middle of the pond). Benches and trash cans on most holes. Pro shop sells limited selection of discs. Snack shop has lots of options including beer. Lights for night play. White Fly18 baskets are easy to spot.
Cons: $9 for 22 holes is the second most expensive round i've played. The big white signs on the last two holes are numbered incorrectly. Playing with ball golfers is always annoying due to the huge difference in speed of play. A few holes play right next to a busy road. Course is almost completely flat with some small rolling hills, but no real elevated tees. Fly18 baskets are odd. They catch the disc well enough even though there are no center chains, but I hit a birdie shot from about 80 feet and the chains made almost no sound. I was expecting a loud "CHING" as I watched the disc slam the chains, but there was just this kind of metallic thud. Kind of a disappointment even though I made the shot.
Other Thoughts: The three groups of ball golfers that I encountered did let me play through, but some of them weren't too happy about it. Play somewhere else instead. It's probably a better course, and it definitely doesn't cost nine bucks.

Adequate course--best within reasonable driving distance of the Ontario airport

1    7/29/2009   7/29/2009
Review By: Doktor John
Pros: Well manicured (since it's on a ball golf course)
Decent distances from the blue tees
Not a super busy ball golf course
Nice baskets (a unique kind I've never seen before...they have a very deep basket and even though they only have one set of chains, they grab the discs well)
Great place for beginners
Pro Shop with discs and snacks
Carts (Even though I can't imagine playing DG with a cart)
Pretty intuitive flow -- for holes 1-9 follow the ball golf tees...there is a large white sign near the baskets showing what hole you're on...hole 10 and 11 is ball golf hole 17 and 18--the big white signs say 12 and 13, so don't be thrown off
Good use of available space
Nice use of water hazard on 7
As ball golf courses go, pretty reasonably priced
Very friendly staff
No problem with the ball golfers, the 2 I encountered let me play through
Cons: Very soggy grounds in the morning...make sure you have a towel...watch out for hidden pockets of soft turf and mud, you could easily sink past your ankles
Unfortunately, due to the terrain, there aren't many obstacles--so this isn't a super technical course (if you like that type of challange)
Other Thoughts: This is a very adequate course, nothing to write home about...pretty typical for a lot of the ball golf courses I've played

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of options in this immediate area...of the 3 within reasonable driving distance from my hotel near the Ontario airport, this is the only one that is a "real" disc golf course

If you like the vibe of a well manicured ball golf course -- you would enjoy an occassional round of DG here