Crown Point, IN
Lemon Lake County Park - Gold/Silver Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #3 (Taken 5/2012)
Hole #3 Silver Basket to Tee

Challenging course that will grow...

1    6/25/2010   7/22/2010
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: The Silver Course at Lemon Lake is a championship caliber challenge. There are significant elevation challenges. Shot-shaping is important at this course. (as with all the Lemon Lake courses) The land is exceptionally used. There are a wide variety of lengths of holes. There are some that can definitely be birdied by the average player. There are some that definitely cannot be birdied by the average player. The wooded holes showed a great deal of promise. As the course grows in, these holes will mature and this may be one of the best courses in Indiana at that point. The amenities were fantastic including the baskets.
Cons: Since I have to rate the course as I played it, the current state is extremely rough around the edges. I had hoped that it would be in immaculate condition given that Worlds was approaching so quickly. While the other 3 courses seemd ready for play, this course looked like it had been planted within the last month and was requiring extra attention of the parks department. There were a few of the open holes that seemed to be long for the sole purpose of having a long hole. Sure, I don't throw that far, but even with my arm I didn't find these holes to be challenging. I pretty much looked out from the tee and said "I am getting a 4 on this hole"...and I did. That kind of hole takes a lot of the fun factor away for me. There were a lot of places were the rough and undergrowth was still very thick. It could be cleaned up and still punish errant throws. There were a few places were the terrain was difficult to navigate, but I assume that as this course grows, bridges and steps will be built.
Other Thoughts: It may seem like I am being hard on this course. Maybe I am, but this is my review and my opinion. I find no fault with someone who gives this course a rave review. It is challenging and I firmly believe that it has the potential to be an elite level course. The Silver course definitely has a home at Lemon Lake as it is the most challenging layout by far. It is definitely worth playing if you are in the area. I graded it the way I did because of its state on the day that I played. It is a good course. I plan to play these courses again in the future and I can see myself raising my grade for this course by as much as a disc given the maturity of the course from now until then.

Just a tip for those who don't pay attention or haven't printed a map. Park at the second parking lot. Go over the covered bridge across the main park road. This course begins very close to one of the holes on the Blue course.

maybe this, maybe that

1    9/24/2009   9/28/2009
Review By: tomjulio
This review was updated on 9/29/2009
Pros: -fairly nice signs with distance and lines
-great variety
-some tough technical shots
-both pro(gold) and am(silver) tee pads for most
-part of a TREMENDOUS disc golf park with three other courses
-the "hardest" of the four courses on site
-a couple great risk/reward holes
Cons: -new course that hasn't been worked in
-needs some minor maintenance and cleaning
-some holes just DUMB, explained below
-definitely not as tough or as highly rated as some reviews make it out to be
-Have to ask where tee one is, off the main park layout
-flow is kind of weird.
Other Thoughts: Was super excited to play this disc golf parks highly reviewed and hyped Gold/Silver course, especially since they are hosting Worlds in 2010. Well, for the first time in regards to reviews/reality I was disappointed. Let me state though that Indiana is SUPER lucky to have a whole park dedicated to disc golf and the guys that maintain this park, thank you! BUT the reality also needs to be taken into account here.

Playing the gold versus silver for almost all the course resulted only in a bit of extra length added as opposed to adding tougher lines. I always find this annoying and lazy in my personal opinion. When we played with some locals we used the gold tee locations that the Worlds will use. eh.

The wooded shots had some nicely placed baskets on small ravines and hills which could lead one to roll into a creek bed and have a tough recovery shot. These holes were nice. I think this is where the course is just fine with the exception of needing some raking and leaf and twig removal.

Two of the dumbest holes I have ever played are back to back on this course. The "big" 1120' number 8 and 850' number 9. You basically come out of the woods and now have these back to back,side by side monster bomb holes through nothing more than mowed field grass with high rough on completely flat ground. BORING. Even the locals who play these courses all the time say they skip these two holes. THAT should say something about it. Suggestion would be to lose these two holes and find a way to incorporate the tree lines better around this area.

The funny thing is the best hole on the gold/silver course actually belonged to the blue course! As you finish up, the tee for blue 14 offers you a chance to shoot from a great tee pad over a small creek through some old trees. Great great hole. How weird is that?

Is this a bad course, not at all, it's young. Is it a tough course, eh, tough to tell, but not as tough as people in the reviews make it out to be. I have played a lot tougher and more technical courses than this. Hell, I shot a -6 pro par from the gold tees and I have only been playing for little over a year...not to brag :)

SUMMARY: in time with love and work and an honest look at this course from it's designers this can be a four star course. As is right now it is just a three. As for the entire park as a whole, outstanding and shouldn't be missed if in the area. I preferred the red course as a whole. Short and technical and just super well maintained.

Meh

2-4    8/9/2009   8/11/2009
Review By: discinboogs
Pros: Great pin placement and use of the land. Challenging and fun to play. I like the mowed paths in the long grass on hole 8. Concrete pads.
Cons: POISON IVY EVERYWHERE so watch out. Signage was a little iffy. Rough was really rough. Not as hard as everyone said it would be :( Lots of stumps to break a foot on.
Other Thoughts: Overall a good course. Just needs some good foot traffic and it will wear in nicely. Get rid of the poison ivy in the fairway at least. Concrete pads are awesome. Definitely not your average disc golf course. Didn't play GOLD but I imagine that is a real treat hehehehe