Crown Point, IN
Lemon Lake County Park - Gold/Silver Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #14 (Taken 5/2012)

Bring a Meal When You Play

1    6/11/2009   12/23/2009
Review By: gkeberhart
Pros: Lots of wooded holes and challenging shots. didnt feel like a course where you could count on a lot of easy birides. made you work for your par and left you feeling satisfied when you got it. wasnt a quick one to play so you felt like you really played a round after the hike was complete. makes for a great course to settle the decision of who will win the day after playing the other three courses. the better players will shine on this course.
Cons: some of the holes felt repetative and alternate tees just seemed to be the same shots just different distances. a few holes were obnoxiously long and one followed the other. the course was still in the stages of being fully cleared out when i played (or that is what i think) so there were some stumps that could trip you up.
Other Thoughts: the scenery was never the same, and the holes were nothing short of interesting to play. I love the sign that tells you not to start the course after a certain time of day. plan to stop and have a small meal during the round, it is a nice hike. this is the only course at Lemon Lake that i have not shot par or better at and since i have only played it once i am hoping there is a good chance to change that.

A fun challenge

2-4    10/31/2009   11/4/2009
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays mostly through hilly woods with scattered ravines. A few holes are more out in the open, but have baskets tucked into pockets of trees and among thick rough to add some challenge. The holes in the woods offer some great accuracy challenges, especially with lots of hillside basket placements that love to take errant putts and approaches and send them rolling down into the small creeks.

There is some real distance in places on the course, along with some holes that give chances for ace runs if you can thread the needle. The course calls for different kinds of shots if you want to score well, with a good mix of left and right turning holes.

There are two sets of tees on the course, making the gold and silver courses, and on some holes they offer totally different challenges. The silver tees make the course pretty accessible to most players, while the gold tees are fairly challenging with lots of length. Both sets of tees have either concrete or rubber tees, and the locals are in the process of finishing concrete tees for all holes. There are signs at all the silver tees and most of the gold tees giving hole length and layout, and again it seems that the process of finishing the signage is being worked on.

There are some really great shots here that will test your game, and this is definitely the most challenging of the courses here at Lemon Lake. This is a fantastic facility, and the commitment from the park and the local disc golf scene is really amazing.
Cons: The open holes on the course felt a little out of place, and just long for the sake of distance. It might not have seemed as much so if the two long holes weren't back to back, just seemed like a couple holes thrown in for distance and to finish the 18. Many of the alternate tees didn't really change the shot, they just offered shorter or longer versions, and this seemed to take away from the fun of having two full sets of tees.

Many of the rubber tees were short and not level, but this shouldn't be an issue for too long as the club is obviously close to finishing the concrete pads. Similarly, it was a little annoying not to have signs on some of the gold tees, hopefully that is taken care of soon as well.

This course had some fun challenges, but it didn't strike me as a real championship level course, and it still seems like a work in progress. As the course gets more finished it might seem like more of a destination course, but as of right now the red and blue courses seem more like established courses, and offer a nicer experience.
Other Thoughts: This course will probably frustrate many beginning players, with tight shots and some distance, along with lots of trouble around baskets. More experienced players will find some great challenges here to test all different parts of their game, and this challenge ultimately pushed this course up into the 4 disc range for me.

If you're at Lemon Lake, definitely try to fit this course in, but I'd put Red and Blue above this one on you priority list. On some holes it's worth playing both sets of tees, others it's not, but on the whole it was enjoyable to play both the silver and gold courses here.

a great challenge

2-4    9/19/2012   10/21/2009
Review By: discNDav
This review was updated on 9/21/2012
Pros: This is one of the most challenging courses that I have seen. It is long and in the woods with great elevation and then extremely long, flat and open for a few holes before returning to the wooded area.

There is no easy hole from the long gold tees. When the cement tee pads have completely replaced the rubber, this will become a tremendous improvement.

Update: 2 sets of cement tees on each hole now!

I've seen the love given to this piece of land and can see it only getting better week by week, month to month and of course year to year. It is a gem within the Lemon Lake complex.

Cons: Since it is such challenge, the fun factor can be diminished somewhat. I simply walked it on a chilly October morning and was tired after 18 holes. Playing from the short silver tees is much easier for this Adv Masters player.

More next tee signs are needed although a lot exist already. I had a map and was still confused which way to go at times. After #5 go back to your left 90 degrees
and into the field. I found #16 before finding #15.

The rough can be extremely rough, the tall grass on the longer holes makes it easy to lose a disc or make a run up almost impossible.

Holes 10, 11 and 12 are too similar, a great walk through the woods but the same golf shot over and over.

Being in such a great complex, a water fountain on the course somewhere would sure be appreciated. Bring plenty of water and maybe a snack, you'll need just on this course alone.The park itself has this provided elsewhere.

Other Thoughts: As mentioned by others, blue #14 would make a great #18 on silver/gold.

Print a map from this website, you'll need it.

Lemon Lake is a terrific complex for DG, 4 courses with other park amenities such as good restrooms, picnic tables, a snack shop in summer all in a clean park enviroment. Please do not consider a park entrance fee (when staffed) a drawback, it is totally worth it.

Great land, long distances, low fun factor.

1    8/28/2009   9/28/2009
Review By: Michler
This review was updated on 5/28/2014
Pros: Its a challenging course for sure. There are a few fun holes that I enjoyed as well, but no 'signature' type holes that leave an imprint in your mind whatsoever. Alot of big distance for those who like to throw far and some really tight wooded holes as well.
Cons: Several boring holes that were not fun to play at all. 2 really long holes out in the open that force you to look hard for your discs if you don't land in the mowed section. A few holes without well defined 'fairways' in the woods. Alot of really really long walks in between holes.
Other Thoughts: I gave it a 3.0 because its a high caliber course, but I rate it about a 2.0 in the 'fun factor'. Not something you want to play casually more than once or twice with the other courses available on the property. This course could be totally redesigned on that land and be made into the most fun course within 100 miles in my opinion. I think too much emphasis was put on making the holes long and not enough on making the holes interesting. I love long holes where I can bomb, but you need to give the course some character. Better use of elevation changes and natural tree-lined fairways would have made for a better experience.

maybe this, maybe that

1    9/24/2009   9/28/2009
Review By: tomjulio
This review was updated on 9/29/2009
Pros: -fairly nice signs with distance and lines
-great variety
-some tough technical shots
-both pro(gold) and am(silver) tee pads for most
-part of a TREMENDOUS disc golf park with three other courses
-the "hardest" of the four courses on site
-a couple great risk/reward holes
Cons: -new course that hasn't been worked in
-needs some minor maintenance and cleaning
-some holes just DUMB, explained below
-definitely not as tough or as highly rated as some reviews make it out to be
-Have to ask where tee one is, off the main park layout
-flow is kind of weird.
Other Thoughts: Was super excited to play this disc golf parks highly reviewed and hyped Gold/Silver course, especially since they are hosting Worlds in 2010. Well, for the first time in regards to reviews/reality I was disappointed. Let me state though that Indiana is SUPER lucky to have a whole park dedicated to disc golf and the guys that maintain this park, thank you! BUT the reality also needs to be taken into account here.

Playing the gold versus silver for almost all the course resulted only in a bit of extra length added as opposed to adding tougher lines. I always find this annoying and lazy in my personal opinion. When we played with some locals we used the gold tee locations that the Worlds will use. eh.

The wooded shots had some nicely placed baskets on small ravines and hills which could lead one to roll into a creek bed and have a tough recovery shot. These holes were nice. I think this is where the course is just fine with the exception of needing some raking and leaf and twig removal.

Two of the dumbest holes I have ever played are back to back on this course. The "big" 1120' number 8 and 850' number 9. You basically come out of the woods and now have these back to back,side by side monster bomb holes through nothing more than mowed field grass with high rough on completely flat ground. BORING. Even the locals who play these courses all the time say they skip these two holes. THAT should say something about it. Suggestion would be to lose these two holes and find a way to incorporate the tree lines better around this area.

The funny thing is the best hole on the gold/silver course actually belonged to the blue course! As you finish up, the tee for blue 14 offers you a chance to shoot from a great tee pad over a small creek through some old trees. Great great hole. How weird is that?

Is this a bad course, not at all, it's young. Is it a tough course, eh, tough to tell, but not as tough as people in the reviews make it out to be. I have played a lot tougher and more technical courses than this. Hell, I shot a -6 pro par from the gold tees and I have only been playing for little over a year...not to brag :)

SUMMARY: in time with love and work and an honest look at this course from it's designers this can be a four star course. As is right now it is just a three. As for the entire park as a whole, outstanding and shouldn't be missed if in the area. I preferred the red course as a whole. Short and technical and just super well maintained.

Long and Hard (Insert Joke Here)

1    9/20/2009   9/21/2009
Review By: skinner21
This review was updated on 9/26/2010
Pros: This course chewed us up and spit us out, and we played from the silver tees. Godspeed to anyone who attempts the Gold. With that said, this course is the real deal. Most of the course plays through some very heavy woods, but the trees are so mature that it gives nice shade and obstacle, with out having to wind your shots through a million saplings with their little distance stealing leaves everywhere.

The elevation changes were also very nice on this course. Many holes had ravines and trenches that really added depth to this course. At one point one of the guys playing with turned to me and said "I have been playing this game almost 10 years, and never have a had shot like this." in referance to a shot that was maybe 5 feet away laterally, and about 15 feet up. There are numerous holes that make you reconsider going for the pin. if you miss there is an easy 1-2 stroke hole out.

Even when you get out of the woods for what you think is a breather, that's when the craziness begins. When you walk up to a tee and read that the pin is 1120 feet you have to stop and let that sink in you a second. That's damn near a quarter mile. Not to mention that when you get into the open, off the fairways are tall grasses that were pollinating while we were there so there were bees all over the place (only in the flowers, not the fairways) and there were some major risk/reward going on. We had a spotter on most holes and we still managed a few lost disks. This is a course you will never forget.

There is a lot of work put into this course and it shows. I can't imagine the time it takes to keep that place looking the way it does.
Cons: These are really the basic cons I had with the complex, as they were the same for all 4 courses.

The signs didn't seem very accurate with the distances.

Navigation was tough were they didn't place "Next Tee -->" type signs.

we sometimes found ourselves throwing at the wrong pin because the one we were supposed to be throwing at was blind and there was another in our line of sight that we supposed was the alternate pin position.

None of these issues were a huge deal and all could be solved with a course map and/or getting more familiar with the course.
Other Thoughts: I really can't enough good things about the time we spent at Lemon Lake this weekend. The locals we met were the best. Everyone we talked to were so friendly and welcoming that we left knowing we would come back just because this is a place that fosters great discing and great discing attitudes. As soon as we got there we asked an elderly gentleman at one of the lodges where to find the first tee, and we ended up sitting there shooting the "fecal matter" with him for about 15 minutes about the course, the area, and the gun he had in his back pocket (he was teaching a hunting class). They love to met out of towners and finding out where they come from. By the end of the weekend we were getting some, "hey, are you the group from Aurora?" type stuff.

This complex has many things to do other than discing on site, but they never interfere with your game and are only seen once in a while. The area is very secluded and private. I loved this place. I almost wish I could rate Lemon Lake as a whole so I could give it 5 stars.

They have the 2010 Worlds here next year and they will do a fantastic job with it.

A for Awesome!

1    8/2/2009   9/2/2009
Pros: Like I do everywhere, I rate courses from the longest tee-pin combo available. No exception here. Truth be told, this is a true Gold level course and I am NOT a Gold level player. It kicked my Blue level butt (I shot a 58 playing Cali)....and I loved it!

What I personally like and how this course stacks up in my list of 18 hole courses:

1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == A-
(About 1/3 of the holes are great because you pay big time for poor decisions or when you go big to score well and execute badly. There are 5-6 holes where you have to place your drive or approach perfectly to get to the basket and get your birdie. 2-3 of the holes were very weird in that the designer chose to put turns in the fairway - took a lot of the fun and the challenge away.)

2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == B-
(As the sign of a great Gold course, this course only had a few holes this Blue level player could expect to birdie. But.....I did not deduct much for this in my overall score since on a lot of these holes getting par was rewarding enough to make it fun/addicting.)

3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == A
(Wow - great design in this aspect. My only complaint is that there should be a few more "fast greens" - basket locations that have a high pucker factor when putting from 25'+.)

4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == A+
(Gorgeous! Pond, woods, hills, marsh, prairie grass and flowers...Wow! And almost 100% secluded from civilization and the other holes. Amazing!)

5) Bonus points for multi-throw holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == A-
(Lots of really good par 4's and 5's. The only way to improve would be more holes where you have decisions to make on what routes you want to take each wit different risk/reward balance.)
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (149 18-hole, 91 9-hole as of late 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

Best Course in Indiana

2-4    8/14/2010   8/16/2009
Review By: JohtoVillage
This review was updated on 7/14/2014
Pros: -In my opinion this course is the best course in Indiana and is situated in a park with three other great courses.
-Great mix of holes in the woods and holes in the open.
-Even though the rough is rough, it's so much better than it was just two months ago. I played the course two months ago and the rough was unbearable. I played this last weekend and it was so much better. I thought the "weaved" mowed areas in the prairie grass was a brilliant idea. I thought I played well the first time around and shot 60. This last weekend I shot 54 and I think a lot of it was because the rough was easier to deal with.
-This course has at least five legitimate signature holes (6, 8, 9, 12, 13).
-The addition of the Gold tees truly make this course an awesome addition to the Midwest scene.
-The course really does have a surreal feel to it, as the course really doesn't touch civilization at all.
-The course is manicured EXTREMELY well. This is a direct correlation to the fact that its a pay to play park and because of the dedicated disc golf club in the area.
-The park has an awesome pro shop on site with some great people who run it. This is a HUGE plus to me.
-This course is essentially two legitimate courses within one. The Gold and Silver designs play about 2400 feet different and the Gold design is probably 7 to 8 strokes harder. This is a huge plus for me because it essentially gives this park 5 courses in one park. The Gold and Silver courses are essentially different courses and really offer a great test of disc golf in their own ways.
Cons: -The last five holes are almost like a letdown compared to the first 13, but that's probably only because the first 13 are so amazing
-The open holes are probably a little too open for my tastes. I actually like to have some long, bomber holes but I prefer there to be some more obstacles.
-The wooded holes were nice but none of them were fantastic, standout holes. I would call the wooded holes slightly above average and nothing spectacular. Don't let that take away from the course as I have rated the course a 4.0 which is considered Excellent.
-I would have loved to see the course really utilize the pond or the lake a little more to offer some water hazards.
Other Thoughts: An amazing course in an amazing park - Lemon Lake Park is what disc golf is about. Me and my playing partners could really tell that the people that maintain this park care about disc golf.

1    8/11/2009   8/11/2009
Review By: Rockwell
Pros: Great variety of shot making required. (short, long, wooded, open, some elevation, etc.)
Requires you to hit specific lines and distances for best scoring opportunities.
Greens are well designed for risk/reward putting.
A nicely secluded, woodsy setting that feels like a hike through a forest.
Cons: Some of the rough is still very rough, and would advise wearing pants.

With pro worlds coming here next summer, and some new teepads being laid on top of courses, I hope the club does not just lengthen the course, but rather, takes into account the scoring spread. I observed some "betweeners" (i.e. not 2able, but easy 3's), and will be interested to see how top pros separate themselves from the pack if there are too many of these holes.
Other Thoughts: My new favorite Indiana Course.

Certainly not as hard as some of the other reviews make it sound, but hard enough for advanced players to want to come back again and again in order to try and beat this course (the course will often beat you).
A wonderful addition to a park full of disc golf, and certainly adds to the equation.

Silver Gold

1    8/10/2009   8/11/2009
Review By: Bart
This review was updated on 9/15/2009
Pros: As one of the course designers I appreciate the reviews. The course is one year old and we are working hard on perfecting it. We also added the white course in the last year so please imagine the work we have in front of us. I have been on a mission to kill poison ivy...I got this job because I've never gotten poison ivy. Please let me know what fairways have ivy as I thought I got most of it removed from the fairways....can't get it all from the schule but then we should all play the fairway. To play this course it is recommended you have advanced skills or better. The signs are cheap because the course is still evolving....they inform adequately for now.
Other Thoughts: August 2009 saw a full week with 2 tree stumpers and a huge crew working on the removal of stumps and associated fairway clearing/cleanups. only 16 more teepads to pour and 9 of those will be done within a week. the silver course (short tees) are pretty complete and we are finishing the gold course as time permits. Several holes are being tweaked with different pin placements. Kudos to all the volunteers for their hard work. If its been a few months since you've played this course you will notice a huge improvement on the playability of this amazing course.