Salem, OR
Woodmansee Park Share
Uploaded By: RallySoob Hole #8 (Taken 6/2009)
#8 Basket from the Fairway looking 70 degrees left.

Great Par 3 Course

2-4    4/4/2016   4/6/2016
Review By: JustBurris
Pros: It is a short par 3 course but challenges you with the elevation changes and trees. It's great for beginners and makes for a fun course with a family.
Cons: Lots of people walking through the course. It is a little bit slower due to the amount of people that play it but that shouldn't hold you pack for giving it a go!
Other Thoughts: Really fun course and great for those that don't want to spend hours playing but has the option to play 18 for those who really want to make a trip out of it.

9-hole City Gem

1    9/19/2015   9/21/2015
Review By: Pierparknut
This review was updated on 9/3/2016
Pros: -One of the best 9 hole par 3 courses I've played. It was in a mostly wooded section of Woodmansee Park, a multi-use city park not too far from downtown Salem. The disc golf area is disc-golf only, as well.

-It is challenging to hit the proper line on the wooded holes. They test both hyzer and an-hyzer shots. Even the open holes (1,7,8) have creative hole locations near trees.

-GREAT signage. You don't need the course map. Signs on every teepad and signs pointing you toward the next tee are super helpful.

-Dual tees on every hole, which have significantly different lines from the regular ones. I didn't have time for 18 when I played but would definitely want to do that sometime.

-There's a practice basket on the way to the first tee.
Cons: -Blackberry thickets on many holes. When we played, my dad lost a disc on 6. Play carefully or you could too.

-I could see this course getting very busy on weekends, with its great location.
-I could also see the course getting muddy in wintertime. It was a bit squishy when I played in summer so I don't want to imagine what it'll be like during the winter months.
Other Thoughts: -Overall a great course if you've got an hour or two. The second tee on most of the holes is a completely different line, so it plays like an 18-holer. Next time I'm in Salem, this course is on my list, and should be on yours, too!

Unexpected Gem

1    3/24/2015   3/24/2015
Review By: Moose33
Pros: I honestly didn't expect much of this course, I was just in town with an hour to kill and thought I would play it for the heck of it.

This is actually a darn good course.

The trees creek and brambles make for some very interesting lines and though there are just 9 baskets(innova disc catchers) they have two sets of very diverse tees so that makes the 9 hole setup into a full 18 if you use both.

The pads were all very nicely textured with a grid like or cobblestone pattern pressed in. It was wet but I still didn't lose grip.

The park is pretty well maintained as well and it looks like it just got a haircut.

Nice use of elevation where it is available also.

It seemed to be well liked, even at odd hours the course was busy and well worn.

Signs at the teebox as well as next tee signs were small but pretty nice and by the look of it the club can move the baskets to an alternate location.

Has a practice basket by the parking lot too.
Cons: A lot of the signs were broken, and the course looks like it's been ridden hard.

Could use a few longer holes but the space is pretty well used.

Tee pads were kind of short, but not terrible.

It's a fun course, but the aesthetic is a little blah for some reason.
Other Thoughts: Overall a very good little 9 hole,
I would play it again happily if in the area.

Awesome course

1    8/3/2013   8/15/2013
Review By: adiscted
Pros: Killer set up for a 9 hole! I love how they have 2 different teepads at each hole to make an 18. I thought there was plenty of technical value, without being overwhelmed by too much tech. I'm a newbie, so it was a perfect combination from my perspective. Mellow, fun, and the different teepads actually give the holes significantly different views/approaches on a couple. I think 11/2 and 16/7 we're probably the most different
Cons: Playing this course as an 18 hole might conflict with smooth flow of players on a busy day due to the seperate teepads playing the same baskets.
Other Thoughts: We showed up to play this course around 9:30 am which appeared to be an awesome time since there was only one other small group on the course. I would assume that this course can get quite busy though. This is my first review, hope it helps someone :) if you're in salem though, it's more than worth the stop

5+    6/20/2013   6/21/2013
Review By: Rusty Shackleford
Pros: Great variety of right/left doglegs, straight shots, uphill/downhill, open fairways, and trees. You'll get to use a variety of skills. For the most part the next tee is close to the basket so the course plays fast.

Not much rough. Less time looking for discs = more time throwing.

Great tees. Great baskets. Good signage.

Good facilities - garbage cans and bathrooms.

There are two tees for each hole so you can play 18.

The course plays out and around the other park facilities so you don't have other activities blocking the fairways.

Bottom line: It's a fun 9 hole course that has more variety than a lot of 18s and it plays fast.
Cons: Occasional logjams. It's a 9 hole. On a nice day there's going to be some standby time.

Alcohol not allowed.
Other Thoughts: This isn't a destination course, but it's worth checking out. If you're close or have an opportunity to play it you shouldn't pass it up.

5+    4/22/2012   7/29/2012
Review By: MCW5379
This review was updated on 8/6/2012
Pros: Tight wooded holes that are fun. (hole 6 is my nemesis) lots of shots needed, uphill, downhill, etc.
2 tee boxes for each of the 9 holes so 18 can be played.
Cons: Hole 6 is thick, newer players might need to use a spotter.Blackberries on 6 need more attention and need to be kept on top of. Holes 8 & 9- the grass can get tall.
Each hole having 2 tee boxes can create "log jams" if they course is busy.
Other Thoughts: Always a fun time "log jams" are the only thing that can really slow the pace of a round.

A lot of work recently!

5+    1/13/2012   1/13/2012
Review By: arelom
Pros: There has been a LOT of work done in the last few months on this course. In fact, one guy was working on the tee signs while we were there--sealing them and replacing them.

All concrete tee pads exist now, and all are clearly marked, 1-18. Everything was in great shape.

A fun little 9

5+    8/27/2011   8/29/2011
Review By: ripcitydisc
Pros: Variety - The course has an immense amount of variety as no two holes feel the same. Different distances and elevation changes.

Scenery - I really enjoyed the shade from most of the holes, especially when the summer heat makes playing Cascade unbearable.

Technicality - Most of the holes force you to throw differently, unlike Cascade in which i can throw all backhand or forehand, i have to mix it up a bit here.

Crowds - Its never really been crowded here at all.

Cleanliness - The park is very clean and for the most park kept up super nice.

Alternate Tee boxes - i only use a few alt tee boxes, but its still nice to have them, i dont ever play all "18" holes, but its a nice touch for the space of the park.

Cons: Vandals - The practice basket was stolen not too long ago and some vandals messed up all the tee signs. :(

Pedestrians - Although there arent a ton of disc players there is a lot of foot traffic in the course sometimes.

Overgrowth - Sometimes its hard to find a disc because of all the undergrowth and on a few of the forest holes its very hard not to hit a tree that will send your disc flying out of your view. (Spotters reccomended) Ive lost two discs on hole 6 when it was messier (its been cleaned since then) sadly i feel like they were found but no one called me for them.
Other Thoughts: I have always enjoyed Woodmansee, plus its just a few miles from my house. During the summer its been great to go there and get away from the heat. I think beginners to advanced players would get a little of something from the course. I would like someone to run an Ace Run competition here. There are bunnies sometimes on the path and the park itself is actually pretty nice.

Better than I Expected

1    7/20/2011   7/21/2011
Review By: austoroc
This review was updated on 7/31/2011
Pros: Right off the bat, I have to say the course has a lot of potential. Based on other reviews I have read, it seems like it's been a while that the course has been worked on?

For many 9-hole courses, it's difficult to justify taking a road trip only to play for a short time. I really do think that this course benefited from having second tee on each hole.

Although the course is relatively short in length, it was still enjoyable because there are enough variety in hole designs to throw you some challenges.

It seems like the course is geared toward intermediate players, but I imagine the more advanced players might enjoy this course as potential ace run.
Cons: I had to take pictures of the "map" at the kiosk to help me navigate which tee pad is "A" and "B." I found it to be slightly frustrating, and not having the tee signs completed definitely didn't help.

There are some tee pads that didn't have any concrete, so the course definitely feels a bit incomplete without them. I'm not sure who's responsible for building them?

I thought the tee location of hole #6 was one of the weakest on the course along with the tee location for #17. I felt they were awkwardly placed and a bit out of sync with all of the other tee locations.
Other Thoughts: I don't know if there's any other improvements being planned for this course, but this course is definitely more enjoyable than Keizer Rapids Park and Cascade Gateway.

I can see how the park can get too busy with walking public weaving through the course, so I'm not sure if it would have affected the playing experience too much?

When I played on this course, the course seems to be well-maintained, but I can see the possibility of it getting a bit wild. If the course is constantly getting maintained, then I see no problems with people enjoying throughout the year.

I hope that by the time I come back for another visit, the course will be completed, and I probably want to revisit my review.

Must see Woodmansee

5+    5/13/2011   5/17/2011
Review By: johnbeastjohnston
Pros: Wooded city park with a masterful layout using only 25 or so acres. This technical short courses features 18 tee-pads to 9 baskets. NOT AM. and PRO. tees but front 9 and back 9 due to the distinctively different lines to the basket from both tee-pads. If played in order designed, the front 9 is all the tee-pads on the LEFT, and back 9 tee-pads on the RIGHT. Some walkout signs are in place to guide your way around now and course is due to be finished by July 9th 2011. Tee-sighns, walkout signs, Tee-pads, kiosk map and all! At Woodmansee you must focus on aim and find the lines. Many optical illusions that make you see other routes from the pin looking back to the tee egging you on to try it another way. A city park with a challenge to get under par for most.
Cons: Trafic! Be cautious of other park patrons and remember to yell FORE! Mud in the winter months, not enough hours in the day to play.
Other Thoughts: Local club (Capital City Disc Golf) has worked hard to make this course the best in the area to introduce people to disc golf. CCDG also hosts mixed format events there using the 9 hole loop. CCDG's GLOW events there are great cause the park is open till midnight and it gets DARK there!