San Diego, CA
Morley Field Share
Uploaded By: Epiphil Hole #5 (Taken 2/2011)

< Prev 1 2 3
This Course Has Been Reviewed More Than Sea World!

1    6/28/2014   7/17/2014
Pros: Unfortunately, I was only in San Diego for a weekend meaning I would have to face the crowds at Morley. I arranged to meet a friend there at 06:45 on a Saturday. I was amazed to find about 20 cars already there and the place a beehive of activity with groups already playing, waiting at # 1, etc. I had shown up on the Saturday of the their monthly tournament.
We were able to get our round started before the tourney and didn't experience any slow downs until about hole # 16.

There is a $4 fee ($3 weekdays) for weekends. They give you a little bracelet to wear showing that you've paid, like a hospital bracelet. The course is very well maintained and baskets are changed weekly by the staff here. Some holes have as many as 7 different basket positions. Baskets, tee pads, signs, benches are all well done.
Great terrain for a course. Rolling hills, just enough trees, some underbrush, nice variety of holes. Very pretty course.
The weather in San Diego is perfect for disc golf!
Cons: I hate to rate a course down because it's too popular but that's the story here. Taking 3 plus hours to play a round of disc golf is a major Con in my book.
I can't see better players being challenged here. I'm a terrible, old Rec player and I should have shot even (ended up at +1). I have no idea which placement the baskets were in on the day I played.

There is no water. No epic holes in my opinion. No awesome downhills.
Other Thoughts: My playing partner wasn't happy with Snapper's recent attempts to add to the difficulty of some holes by adding/planting trees. Having never played here before, I have no opinion.

I've heard so much about Morley field for so many years. After finally getting to play it, I was somewhat surprised at it's lack of challenge. Luckily, I played early enough that I didn't have the experience of waiting at every hole. Being the only course in San Diego, IMO, It's a very crowded, enjoyable intermediate course in the city with the most perfect disc golf weather anywhere.

2-4    3/14/2014   3/14/2014
Review By: McChains
Pros: The course is challenging but friendly for beginners. Lots of grade changes. You will need to use most of your disk in your bag.
Cons: Crowded. Crowded crowded. That's my only complaint about the course. you'll definitely have to wait almost at every pad to be able to throw

5+    7/31/2013   8/11/2013
Review By: tdkrizenshine
This review was updated on 9/2/2013
Pros: Technical - a wide variety of shots, elevations, woods, bombs. Good people in general and a well stocked pro shop! The stoners and drunks can be amusing as well.
Cons: Crowds!! This place is POPULAR! Expect to do some waiting. The drunk stoners can be a pain in the butt. Parking can be an issue but if you don't mind a shirt walk in there us plenty nearby.
Other Thoughts: This is my home course and I feel pretty darn lucky. This course will help you improve rapidly with a requirement of almost all the throws available, a great deal of control, and never a shortage of skilled players to jump in with and learn from or challenge your skills with. The crowd can be pretty intense but with a laid back attitude you can meet a great deal if interesting people and have a great time. It is a pay-to-play course but I feel it's a great value when you weigh the benefits and consider the staffs value. The pro-shop is well stocked, and the course is always full of smiling faces!

Love at first sight

1    7/22/2012   7/27/2012
Review By: bassman87
Pros: Well maintained course, with diverse pin locations per hole. Pro shop with snack bar. Each hole offers its own challenge from wide open fields, to wooded "tree tunnels". Locals are very friendly.
Cons: The crowds. The problem with a great course is that everyone wants to play there. A lot of fairways cross, so you have to keep a lookout for other players discs.

Friendly Lines

5+    7/1/2012   7/2/2012
Review By: Ocelotl
This review was updated on 8/19/2013
Pros: -Shots, lots of variety, as a 99% RHBH player there were a few holes I had to get creative with. One or two bombers mixed in with challenging technical shots. A few blind holes that I always find fun.

-Proshop/local club and players. Ive found most courses that have a great proshop and local club usually have more than a handful of helpful discers around. Morley is no exception, Ive gone solo every time and always ended up playing with a group of locals to point the way.

-Location/Weather, Played 2 early morning rounds on a sunday, slightly cloudy, perfect tempature, slight breeze...welcome to san deigo.

*UPDATE POSITIVE*
-participate in the ace pot if its going on, fun for only 25cents is usually hard to come by, two people in my group got cage on rethrows, adds more interest to a fun rd.
Cons: -Crossing Fairway Danger, this is definetly amplified by the amount of begginer/intermediate players that are here, and the sheer amount of people playing at one time. Hole 19 is particulary bad, you pretty much need your head on a swivel as two holes are throwing over your head, and hole 18 throws back toward you. But there are numerous spots throughout the course where you really need to pay attention.

-Crowds, this doesnt really bug me a whole lot, but later in the day a 3 hour round can really start to be a drag, and most of the people i played with thought that wasnt too bad.

-Pro-shop Danger zone, as you are standing at the proshop hole 14 throws at your back, most people with decent control, or anyone throwing on a hyzer really shouldnt come anywhere near hitting it...2 different people actually put discs into the pro shop while I was standing there, the first time was almost comical because it was really slow and the guy behind the counter probably could have caught it, the second time 13-14 y.o. kid lasered a driver into it, not so funny.
Other Thoughts: Overall a pretty positive experience, fun shots, great weather and friendly people, definetly a must play if you are in the area. With that said, I cant see myself driving past kit carson to go play morley again for a while, just a much more relaxing round with less hazards.

Quick stop from out of town

1    4/26/2012   5/1/2012
Review By: ian1
Pros: - Concrete tee pads
- Variety of shots
- Some elevation
- Friendly locals
- Well maintained grass (you would have to really try to lose a disc out here)
- Pro shop is nice (discs and drinks)
- The weather is usually good
- Every hole has a ton of pin placements
Cons: - Crowds (I played on a Thursday and had to wait a couple times so it wasn't bad but was told a 10 group line can form on a nice weekend day)
- Not very technical or long which is expected in an older course.
- Overlapping holes. You hear "fore" all game long, keep your head on a swivel. Also the end holes overlap badly, so much so that if you aren't an uber confident thrower the people on the criss crossing holes can mentally effect your throw... almost like throwing over water.
Other Thoughts: I had a flight into San Diego and had some time to kill. Being from Oregon it is nice to play in a different area. It is also nice not to have to fight underbrush but as a result this course was a lot less technical than some of the local course in my area. It was great though. I joined up with some locals and they were very nice. I would have considered the course crowded based on what it is like on my home course but the people I played with said it was practically empty. The waits were never terrible and it was kind of nice to play a leisurely round. Definitely worth the drive out there if you are by the airport or in the area.

Home, or at least it was a long time ago.

5+    9/1/1996   7/18/2011
Review By: AdirondackDGA
Pros: It's Balboa Park. It's San Diego. It's Disc Golf History
Cons: It's Balboa Park. It's San Diego. It's Disc Golf History
Other Thoughts: The goods and bads of Balboa Park;
Manicured setting w/crowds

The goods and bads of San Diego;
Beautiful scenery w/crowds

The goods and bads of It's Disc Golf History
Great historical (1970's era) disc golf course w/crowds

Did I say it gets crowded? But it should still be on any serious players wish list of courses to play. I left San Diego a long time ago and have only been back a handful of times. Each time I return I play here. My putting practice bag came from the pro shop here.

"A" for effort. Fun time, but...

1    3/31/2011   4/1/2011
Review By: djjeremiahj
Pros: Well maintained groomed grass course
Cement or Rubber (over cement) Teepads
Great Hole Maps
Great people, very nice.
Pro Shop was nice, w. bathrooms.
Great fun time in heart of the city.
Fairly easy course, very playable and par-able for everyone.
Cons: Too short. Outside of 1-2 holes, i used a teebird or lower. (I have a ~400' flat drive).

Too much fairway overlap.

RE: Layout the day i played -
Overwhelmingly forehand oriented (RHFH) or "SL" or "Buzzz" oriented (Long straight, slightly tight line with NO fade).
Many hard hook shots (needed seriously overstable)

Other Thoughts: Anyone with a 300' (flat) drive would be able to park almost every hole.

Beginners with any sort of proficiency should be able to get par on every hole.

Due to the limited amount of space, creative pin placements with hard hooks and space saving concepts was prevalent.

I am an above average player and the course required "loose precision"; the windows and line concepts were fairly basic and easy to hit. I scored a -3 on the first try. (*i play and score "all holes are par 3".) I am sure if i had gone around again, or played multiple times, i could have dialed it in and gone -6 or better. Almost every drive (for me) was a park or "almost" park.

I happen to be a very proficient RHFH player, and more than 1/2 of the shots seemed to favor this method. It reached a point where i got tired of throwing FH and i started using alternate shots (turnover, hyzer, etc). <- i really just wanted to throw backhand and let it rip!

San Diego is beautiful. This course epitomizes it very well.

I think i saw a few dogs on the course, so i believe it's dog friendly.

Entirely too short and too easy to give a higher ranking. It was fun and i highly recommend to anyone in (or visiting) s.d.

(to visitors) -
This course could be very fun with 3-4 discs IF you take a "not so serious", "i'm on vacation" attitude.

If you choose to play it serious, make sure you have a full array of shots in the shorter ranges. It would be a big ego stroke to improve your score with each round and look "pro" doing it.

Busy Busy, But Nice Course

1    4/14/2010   4/14/2010
Review By: ambroze
Pros: Good multiple pin positions and well maintained. I found the course to be pretty easy for the most part, once I found out how many deuce opportunities there were I started going down birdie alley about the way through my round. Good use of the land that is available.
Cons: Gezzz what a busy course! I could have played it a second time while visiting SD but due to how busy the course was it was not an option. It makes it hard to get into any rhythm when you have to wait and always be on the look out for getting smacked with a loose disc because most fairways cross over one another. Lot's of bad language on the course when the huge groups of guys get together.
Other Thoughts: All in all it was a very nice course, would I play it again? Maybe if I knew I had the time.

1    1/14/2010   1/14/2010
Review By: radsnowsurfer
Pros: Great variance in hole layouts offering a wide span in distance and direction of shots.
Very good use of available elevation on the property.
Huge number of different hole placements on each hole add even more variety to the course.
Good detailed tee signs.
Excellent baskets and tee pads.
Benches on every hole which are especially nice considering the frequent waits.
Well stocked pro shop on site with food and discs for sale.
Course is very fun for all levels of play, not too tough on newer players.
Regular tournaments and a good website to keep people informed.
Dual pads on several holes.
Cons: Very over crowded even on what might normally be down hours on most courses.
Some of the pin positions seemed a little open and easy, overall the short positions play a little easy for more advanced players.
Especially on the front nine there's a lot of fairway crossing.
I would have liked to seen more out of the dual pad, only one seemed to really create a significantly different hole.
Some groups appeared to be as large as 8, and with so much traffic it can seem impossible to play through as a small group or as a single.
Other Thoughts: Morley field was a really fun and entertaining course to play for the first time. Playing the course in mostly short positions did make me long to see the course stretched out more. But I did appreciate the huge number of cool hole placements I saw. With all it's amenities and interesting hole layouts I can see why some people rave about this course. The crowds only make you wish that it wasn't the only course in the inner San-Diego area and the course itself without the crowding issue would easily be a 4 for me. Definitely a must see course for anyone traveling to the SoCal area.

< Prev 1 2 3