San Diego, CA
Morley Field Share
Uploaded By: Scott L. Kuhns Hole #14 (Taken 1/2012)

Active Club. Great Course

2-4    11/14/2009   7/12/2010
Review By: zenbot
This review was updated on 9/6/2010
Pros: Wonderful use of a very good piece of land. There were no "repeater" holes. Every tee offered something unique.
Incredibly active group of people maintain the course and keep it fresh. Each hole offers multiple pin placements (The most I've ever seen) that get changed weekly. This makes the minor fee well worth it.
Pro shop and practice baskets.
Easy to navigate. Good signage and, chances are, you'll have a few groups in front of you to explain where the blind pins are.
Cons: Crowds. Well? What do you expect? It's the only course around and it's a great course. My only concern would be bringing the kids out. I've never heard "fore" that many times in my life. If you plan your round in the morning you won't see as many people.
Not enough parking. If you happen to play during the busy hours parking is a pain.
Crossing fairways. I don't happen to mind this much but I do know that it is of concern for some people.
Other Thoughts: Morley Field is a good course for all skill levels and age groups. The terrain is not difficult to navigate. I never got the snooty local vibe that a few reviewers picked up on. Maybe it's just me. I really appreciated the variation in flora from hole to hole. Morley was worth the trip.

Classic Cali Disc Golf

5+    1/8/2010   7/8/2010
Review By: jophus21
This review was updated on 12/4/2012
Pros: Beautiful course right next to Balboa Park with nice, large concrete tees and great signage. Lots of multiple pin positions that get changed frequently, awesome views from some of them (hole 11 comes to mind). I love the optional extra disc ace pot shot from the clubhouse, (although putting on the railroad tie pyramid basket can be tricky in high winds) I like how often the locals change pin positions to keep the course fresh. I've never seen such a constant barrage of plastic launching up into the air! I guess that's what you get from the most popular course in the world!
Cons: The lines can be long and people tend to pick up your discs if you leave them sitting on the ground for longer than a couple minutes, so keep an eye out. And it costs 4 bucks to play.
Other Thoughts: Lots of socializing on this course! You might be waiting on every tee, but you'll just be enjoying the amazing weather and having a cold one with some of the droves of people that frequent this course. I have no problem going to play there by myself, because I know I won't be that way for very long, the locals are always quick to invite a single to join up!

The go-to course in San Diego

5+    5/3/2010   5/5/2010
Review By: xians421
Pros: A great variety of holes with at least 3 and sometimes 8 pin positions per hole. Pro pads on 8,9 and 17. Lots of manicured grass where there used to be dirt and rocks. The course pro is a legend. Very helpful staff. Grass constantly mowed and new trees planted frequently. Every hole has at least one hard position. Benches and trash cans at every tee.I've been playing this course for 30 years and almost all the changes have been positive.
Cons: Some holes should be par 2 in tourneys. This course would be a five star but for one thing. WAAAY too many people. It is the most crowded course in the world. Even on weekdays at 9:00 am there is a wait on EVERY hole, sometimes three or four groups on the long holes. This course needs a starter, like on ball golf courses.
Other Thoughts: Get there at 6:00 am and have fun.

Fun course

5+    4/21/2010   4/23/2010
Review By: Crazyman29
Pros: Has some really cool shots, Great scenery, and course is well taken care of.
Cons: Hard to play with the croud, not technical unuff, never shot -5 anywhere else, played over 30 courses so says a lot. People are rude and locals act like they own the place, or at least act that way tords me, my local course so i love that it is there but wish it was more like oak grove or wittier
Other Thoughts: I play this course 2 to 3 times a week it is a fun course if you haven't played it it is worth the drive once to come check it out.

Busy Busy, But Nice Course

1    4/14/2010   4/14/2010
Review By: ambroze
Pros: Good multiple pin positions and well maintained. I found the course to be pretty easy for the most part, once I found out how many deuce opportunities there were I started going down birdie alley about the way through my round. Good use of the land that is available.
Cons: Gezzz what a busy course! I could have played it a second time while visiting SD but due to how busy the course was it was not an option. It makes it hard to get into any rhythm when you have to wait and always be on the look out for getting smacked with a loose disc because most fairways cross over one another. Lot's of bad language on the course when the huge groups of guys get together.
Other Thoughts: All in all it was a very nice course, would I play it again? Maybe if I knew I had the time.

Lots of fun, try it out!

1    4/10/2010   4/14/2010
Review By: WillACarpenter
Pros: This course has a lot of variation, is very well maintained and has great tees.

Each hole has several different possible pin locations and it is clearly marked where the pin is for the current round, it is my understanding that these locations get changed weekly (on Monday).

You can tell that this course is well loved, the care for the course is excellent, there are a lot of benches and trash cans and no litter and the plants are taken care of and the tees are great.
Cons: This course is really busy, I went really early on a weekday and it was busy, I came back and played on a Saturday morning (even earlier) just as busy. This isn't a real problem in and of it self but...

All of the fairways are really close to each other, they've squeezed a lot of disc golf into a small area and the fairways overlap, cross and play against each other. This is only hurt by the multiple pin locations as I'm sure that there is a way to make everything stay somewhat far away...but the random nature of the pins has you playing over the same land a lot.

Parking can be a hassle.

No really long or really difficult shots...maybe on another pin placement?
Other Thoughts: I really liked playing Morley Field, I didn't really like how crowded it was, or that you could see what would be some awesome signature holes...if only the pin was in that position today. (Hole 5 I believe has a really sweet built up pin tower...but it was in a different and less cool position)

This is a pay to play course...but it's cheap enough $2.50 on weekdays $3.00 on weekends...this goes for ANYBODY on the course...so if you bring somebody to just walk around they pay as well. I wasn't upset by this at all.

I think the only real problem with the course (other than it being so popular) is that compared to what I'm used to you can't really get into any deep trouble. There's no water, no thick woods, no steep inclines to fall off of. To me it felt like there was very very little chance that you could screw up your drive and at not have at least a great chance at bogey...if not par. I flubbed one drive into the first tree...missed my first putt and still got a 4.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put this course down, I'd play it again in a heartbeat, even as crowded as it is. I really enjoyed myself. I just wish it had a little more...something...I'm not at all sure what that would be as this course DOES have a lot of obstacles, trees, small hills and dips...I just think it's missing something...but I'm also suspecting that the something is there...just in a different pin position.

"W"

home course for 10 months

5+    6/30/2006   3/22/2010
Review By: unknown2no1
Pros: Excellent set up with nice tee pads, easy to navigate. Good pin locations, with multiple locations. Good variety of hole types and elevation changes.
Cons: some holes impede on others so you might have to wait a little bit on a busy day.

2-4    2/19/2010   2/12/2010
Review By: Mark R
This review was updated on 5/30/2010
Pros: Several moderately-wooded holes with elevation changes that rank with the best in SoCal. Good cement tee pads with signs that clearly show distances to the pin, with the current pin position marked in ink. Hole 11 is a signature hole and one of the best I've seen anywhere, with an elevated tee and narrow opening to a grassy field with several beautiful large palm trees. Excellent course maintenance, with several aerated grassy areas after rains in Jan/Feb. 2010. Course successfully integrates differing areas of park to create a multi-dimensional course layout that is often lacking in city park courses. Pay-to-play limits traffic, and the pro shop has drinks and discs at reasonable prices. Benches on most holes, reasonable privacy. Small steep hills make tee shots on Holes 4, 16 and 18 a blast.
Cons: Holes 10, 13 and 14 (depending on the pin placement) are lesser wooded holes with difficult to spot baskets. A few too many holes are crammed into a small area at the end of the course, though all of the holes are fun. Basket occasionally perched on a high platform on Hole 5 is a mixed blessing. Not enough parking spots. Very crowded course at 10:30 AM on a Wednesday. Not a particularly difficult course, though some pin placements create some additional challenge.
Other Thoughts: A great downtown San Diego course with a high entertainment value. Course map provided alleviates some minor navigation quibbles.

Crowded

5+    2/3/2010   2/4/2010
Review By: DrCreek
Pros: Fairly quiet location. Lots of trees, dead branches and bushes to get in the disc's way. Staff is excellent. Shooting downhill, uphill, across ravines, over trees, thru trees, etc. Lots of great variation. Changing pin placements weekly. Never a dull game here.
Cons: Crowded. A few unsavory characters floating around after 10am. The occassional "pipe and 40" group will show up - just to make things interesting. If you play early morning, watch for water sprinklers in your face.
Other Thoughts: It would be cool if the staff could enforce a "groups of no more than 4" rule. Too many groups of 8 and sometimes more - especially on the weekends. Best time to play is weekdays when it first opens.

1    1/14/2010   1/14/2010
Review By: radsnowsurfer
Pros: Great variance in hole layouts offering a wide span in distance and direction of shots.
Very good use of available elevation on the property.
Huge number of different hole placements on each hole add even more variety to the course.
Good detailed tee signs.
Excellent baskets and tee pads.
Benches on every hole which are especially nice considering the frequent waits.
Well stocked pro shop on site with food and discs for sale.
Course is very fun for all levels of play, not too tough on newer players.
Regular tournaments and a good website to keep people informed.
Dual pads on several holes.
Cons: Very over crowded even on what might normally be down hours on most courses.
Some of the pin positions seemed a little open and easy, overall the short positions play a little easy for more advanced players.
Especially on the front nine there's a lot of fairway crossing.
I would have liked to seen more out of the dual pad, only one seemed to really create a significantly different hole.
Some groups appeared to be as large as 8, and with so much traffic it can seem impossible to play through as a small group or as a single.
Other Thoughts: Morley field was a really fun and entertaining course to play for the first time. Playing the course in mostly short positions did make me long to see the course stretched out more. But I did appreciate the huge number of cool hole placements I saw. With all it's amenities and interesting hole layouts I can see why some people rave about this course. The crowds only make you wish that it wasn't the only course in the inner San-Diego area and the course itself without the crowding issue would easily be a 4 for me. Definitely a must see course for anyone traveling to the SoCal area.