San Diego, CA
Morley Field Share
Uploaded By: Scott L. Kuhns Hole #13 (Taken 1/2012)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next >
 I finally played it...

1    10/8/2008   10/8/2008
Review By: johnt1969
Pros: Well.... I finally got to play here. I have been waiting over 20 years and wondering what Morley Field would be like. I had pumped it up so much in my mind that there was no way it could live up to my expectations and I was right. It didn't. But it's still a good place to come if you're in to disc golf. It's one of those places you just have to go play.

About the course. This place has all the amenities. There's restrooms, a pro shop that sells discs, drinks and snacks. You can also rent discs here. You have to pay a small fee to play the course but it's not a problem. Judging by the amount of people out there playing it could make someone a millionaire. haha.

The course is short but it's not easy. There's a million different pin placements for each hole and they move the pins on monday. That's one of the really neat things about the course. There are concrete tee pads and very good tee signs. The land that the course is on is also very neat. It's got rolling hills and other good disc golf course topography.
Cons: There will be a million people playing this course no matter what time you are there. I went on a Tuesday morning and there were tons of people playing. It was unbelievable.

You will hear "FORE" a bunch and you should pay attention. Discs are flying around all over the place here. There's definitely a chance to get hurt. There are also crossing fairways in a couple places and holes that are very close together. Back when this course was put in it wouldn't have been a problem but with the new disc technology it's a dangerous place to play.

Because of the cons it's not one of my favorite places to play and I probably won't go back but I'm glad I finally got to play here. I had a smile on my face the whole round just because I was playing Morley.

Duck and Cover...

1    9/14/2008   9/16/2008
Review By: mjheckman
Pros: I played this course 3 times in 4 days. So, obviously I liked it. It's well groomed, clean, and has manicured lawns... it's good to see that the "green fees" are being well spent. There's very little chance of losing a disc on any hole. Many hole variations; changing every Monday, that give the course a very different feel. For the most part, the course requires accuracy over big distance.
Cons: Like many others have said... if you're looking for a serene round of disc golf this aint the place. The course was packed on Friday, Sunday and Monday... and when I say packed I mean PACKED! My head was constantly on a swivel! At times I felt like I was in a fire-fight... especially on holes 16, 17, 18 & 19! All of these holes play across each other and it can be simply dangerous.
Other Thoughts: I know many of the locals may hate the idea, but I would eliminate the 19th hole. It would speed up play on the back 9 and it would reduce the number of near misses and potential head wounds.

Fore!! [repeat ad nauseum]

5+    3/1/2008   3/17/2008
Review By: Rizbee
This review was updated on 10/20/2008
Pros: An institution in disc golf history - been around forever. Morley's best attributes are the wide variety of pin positions and the variety of shots required across all pin positions (but possibly not in one round). Locals do not tire of the layout. The course is very well maintained and has an excellent pro shop. You'll rarely (if ever) be without a playing partner, and competition (bagtag challenges, skins, etc.) is always available.
Cons: You will hear "FORE!!!" shouted more times in one round at Morley than a month of playing anywhere else. Lots of casuals out to play and drink beer (not necessarily in that order). Rounds can be interminably looooong, with 8-10 minutes on the tee per hole on the weekends commonplace.
Other Thoughts: Morley has a unique, beatnik atmosphere which is loved by local players. This, however, may make it an inappropriate place to bring kids to play. Playing well here requires precision drives and stellar putting - lots of 2's available. Leave your 450-ft drive at home - you won't need it here.

3/3/2008   3/3/2008
Review By: gwillim
Pros:
Many different pin positions for each hole.
Well kept grounds.
Decent elevation changes.
Lots of events going on to participate in.
Great weather year round.
Discs available for rent or purchase on site.
Cons:
CROWDED.
6 8 10 somes etc.
Ridiculously long round times.
General lack of etiquette from hacks.
Morley Field is the course that I learned Disc Golf on, and for that reason I appreciate it greatly. When not crowded, Morley is a great course to play and a fantastic practice course. However, when it's crowded, I would rather spend my time throwing drives in a field for practice.

San Diego desperately needs more courses to accommodate the hordes of people that play Morley Field any given day.

Big Crowds

3/1/2008   3/2/2008
Review By: ddevine
Pros: Its in San Diego! A wide variety of shots with multiple pin positions that change every Monday. Lots of "late trouble", with well protected baskets. Although it is short by today's standards, deuces require well executed shots. Even so, top players should aim for double digits under.
Cons: Probably the most played course in the country. Many blind tee shots that reward muscle memory.
Other Thoughts: This is a very enjoyable course when it is not crowded.

Disc Golf Rules

2/20/2008   2/20/2008
Review By: bryon
Pros: A pay to play course that is reasonably priced and very busy on weekends. Every hole has multiple pin positions that change every Monday making it a different course every week. Except for the last few holes that crossed each other, all holes were layed out well and no two holes seemed similar. Some of the long positions I saw, but did not get to play because the pins were not set there, were well protected and looked challenging. A good course to take beginners and a good course for advanced players as well.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next >