Pauls Valley, OK
Pauls Valley Flightline DGC Share
Uploaded By: ManOnTheDoor Hole #7 (Taken 8/2010)
3 / --   3 / 190ft.   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Wido Open Spaces

5+    11/22/2012   12/12/2012
Review By: rd.bittle
Pros: Big concrete tees
Good baskets
Awesome tee signs
Bathrooms (In lobby of building near 1st Tee)
Easy navigation
Two loops that conveniently end at the parking lot
No chance to lose discs

Favorite hole(s): #1, #14
Cons: Few trees
Few benches
The only challenge is distance and the wind
Almost no risk/reward
Just throw it as far as you can then do it again
Few trash cans
Few trees
And very few trees
Other Thoughts: My "disc rating" is based heavily on Fun Factor.
This course is well maintained and has good amenities. Perhaps the most telling stat is; I live apx 5 min from this course and play it way less than many other courses that are 45+min from me.
It is a good place to go to air out your monster arm.
If you are in the area and just have to play some disc golf, by all means stop in. Just don't expect many technical shots or much line shaping required.

There is a new local club that is loking at improving this course. New trees, benches, new trees, hazards and new trees would make this course waaaaaayyyyyy better so, I wish them luck and will try to help if I can. I will revisit my review after any and all improvements.

Well kept, just not very much fun factor, IMO.

Great beginner course!

5+    7/9/2012   7/15/2012
Review By: TylerM
Pros: This course has a very convenient double loop layout that brings you to the parking area / bathrooms after holes 9 & 18. The pads are nice, the baskets are in good condition, signage is awesome, bathroom facilities are nice and clean, and the few (and I do mean FEW) people you meet are very friendly. The grass does get high between mowing in the spring and summer, but usually not too bad.
Cons: The main drawback this course has is its lack of challenges. Distance, wind, and a handful of trees are your only real obstacles. No organized club exists in Pauls Valley and no regular events happen at this course.
Other Thoughts: I really like this course! However, as a purely recreational player, I realize most of the experienced players would get bored here. It is a really great course to introduce someone to the game and let them learn some of the basics. I've played here many times and most of the time there's not been anyone else playing (other than my group) . So if you enjoy a relaxing course where you can enjoy some solitude, come on!

Very nice but out of the way course

1    8/11/2010   8/11/2010
Review By: ManOnTheDoor
Pros: This was a very well laid out course with (as stated before) the best tee signage I've ever seen. All of the tees were in good shape and the layout was clear and obvious. There is the airport terminal just north of the first tee. There's air conditioning, water, and bathrooms right there. The water fountain puts out some really cold water! Great use of what trees are out there.

Very quiet course. A plane was leaving when I got there, but other than that, the airport was silent.
Cons: This is really an out of the way course. I happened to be passing by on I-35 with work and decided to stop in. Playing any course in Oklahoma in mid-August isn't a good idea, but this was a killer. Very little shade on this course.

The back 9 are not as imaginative as the front 9 with many wide open holes.

The front 9 might be a little crowded layout-wise if there was anyone ever out there.

This course is on the grounds for the airport (obviously) and the grass isn't kept too short. The rough (that I shouldn't have gotten into) was full of stickers and stick-tites.

There are disc-eating trees out here I swear. But that's my own fault - nothing against the course.
Other Thoughts: This is a very well laid out course well off of the beaten path. There was a lot of thought and effort into making this course nice, and with a little more mowing it would have been great. The airport terminal's water fountain probably saved me from a heat stroke. For as open a course as this is, there was absolutely no breeze for 90% of the time I was out there.

I had a problem with judging distance out there. I don't know if it was the vast openness or the mild heat stroke I got, but the tee markers were very useful.

If you are passing by on I-35 you really should stop by and play this course. I'm not sure I could say that this course by itself is worth the drive from OKC, but it really is a good course.

Ug!

1    7/14/2010   7/15/2010
Review By: Pizza God
Pros: Tee Pads on every hole
The BEST tee signs I have ever seen
Good use of the few trees out there
Good use of what little elevation that is out there.
Cons: No shade
very unlevel ground, I nearly twisted my ankle more than once.
Part of that was the fact the course had grass as high as my waist in some parts. Knee deep grass on the rest of the course.
Other Thoughts: John Houck designs some great courses. This is not one of them.

On the front nine, it is on the side of a slow sloping hill. There are a few trees and John tried to design the course to make those trees come into play.

With the exception of #9, I would expect anyone with a 300 ft drive to be able to birdie every one.

On the back 9, it is a relatively flat field. There were no trees on several of the holes, just long drives.

Basically, with 3 courses in Norman that are all better than this course, I can see why no one plays here.

I for one, will never play here again.

hidden gem

1    10/30/2009   11/3/2009
Review By: dreadlock86
This review was updated on 5/17/2010
Pros: fantastic little course.
the front 9 is mostly short but the holes are well designed and a lot of fun. you can birdie most of these but it's certainly not guaranteed. fun factor on these holes is very high! tees and baskets are strategically placed to make use of the elevation and trees.

the back 9 is a bit longer and a little more open but still a lot of fun. you can air out your drivers on several of these but there are a few technical shots around some trees and a few birdie opportunities.

the course itself is just beautiful. nice concrete teepads and awesome granite signs at each hole. design is a double loop so you can easily play just the front or back, although i don't know why you'd want to.
Cons: not much to complain about. some of the teepads could be a little bit longer but a lot of the holes are shorter so you won't need a run up.

alternate tees or pin placement on the back 9 could be cool, since it's a bit less interesting than the front.
Other Thoughts: just a great, well designed course. the fun factor is phenomenal and it's short enough to get in two rounds if you're stopping on a drive between DFW and OKC, or at least to play the front 9 again.

i played the better part of the back 9 in the dark w/o lights just to finish the course because i was enjoying it so much.

funny neighborhood dog was running around chasing birds the whole time i was out there. when it got dark, he actually helped me find my discs too.

**Like this review? Hate it? Message me and let me know why! I want to make them better!**

windsock

1    3/18/2009   3/20/2009
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: Flightline has nice labeled cement tee pads on every hole. Incredible signs that look like the tombstones of an un-modest person. Each sign has a local sponsor and hole diagrams complete with distances on them. The course has small rolling hills that play tricky wind paths and pin positions. I imagine that the wind here is a constant factor since it is in a big open field and if you are into the wind challenge, this course should be on your list.

I would recommend this course for all skill levels and I would guess that people with long arms will enjoy it more. This course has the look and feel of a tournament ready course. The course flows in two loops back to the parking lot for both the front and back nine, which I am a fan of because you can go out there and decide to play nine and be right at your car.
Cons: It is a in a wide open space, little can be done about that but some might consider it boring. It could use a bench or two preferably in the shade. They should plant more stuff, heck you could park a few junkyard cars out there and get some obstacles other than the wind and elevated pin placements. Well, maybe I'm the only one that thinks that would be cool. At least a extra bush or two would make things a little better.
Other Thoughts: If the sun beating down hard I would think a person would be hardcore out there soaking in the sun. I'd bring sun screen because you are not going to get much shade. I drank a ton of water after playing this course on a windy day. I was pleasantly surprised by this course. It was a good pit stop on my way to OKC. It was neat seeing small planes take off and land. There was a big orange windsock that dominates the course from on top of the hill you start at, I felt that its presence described the situation perfectly.

Cool

5+    6/16/2008   2/16/2009
Review By: Roc1Time
Pros: Very cool tee signs. Fun front 9 which requires accuracy. Back 9 is for the big arms. Fun course though. Right off the highway and breaks up the drive btween Dallas and OKC.
Cons: WINDY always!!!! Need more trees on the back. NO shade!
Other Thoughts: Small parking area but usually doesnt matter.

Wind is the hidden bunker

5+    4/26/2008   10/15/2008
Review By: okjazz
Pros: Significantly varied hole lengths, extremely challenging in the wind, outstanding granite tee markers and professional concrete tees, lay out flows. Ease of use and local golfers are top notch - friendly, helpful, and accomidating. Hosts the Flightline Open each spring with excellent turnout and well sponsored.
Cons: After completion of back 9 (which is longer but not unreasonable) removal of multiple trees following a fire significantly altered the obstacles but plans are in the works to replant new trees.
Other Thoughts: Can't wait until new trees and landscaping is complete for the course - particularly for the longer back nine. Oklahoma is flat but John Houck has used this space well.

I lost my respect...

4/16/2008   4/16/2008
Review By: gravedigger
Pros: The best looking signs I have ever seen, by far. Cool location (right of the tarmac of the airport). Can be a little weird, b/c literally no one is around. Front 9 is a nice course. Beginner friendly, lots of throwing options.
Cons: The added back 9 is a ridiculous "throw it as hard as you can over and over with no challenges to set you back." No slope, no obstacles, nothing.
Other Thoughts: I used to like this course when it was a little 9 hole off the tarmac, but then they added a ridiculous back 9.