Chili, NY
Chili DGC Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #11 (Taken 4/2010)

My first course

1    11/13/2010   11/22/2010
Review By: Flippy
Pros: This was my introduction to disc golf. After playing other courses recently, this course offers a challenge that will get newbies hooked. The holes are long yet forgiving in terms of trying new shots. No real hazards to worry about.
Cons: No real cons; it's overall a good course to play.
Other Thoughts: If you're new, bring a driver or two. I started with a mid range and putter -- this made it a long day. Plus, you'll get great practice driving.

Bring your arm!

5+    10/9/2010   10/16/2010
Review By: Chiefstang
This review was updated on 4/14/2011
Pros: Being a dedicated course is great. The fairways are beautifully manicured, with sawgrass for the rough, making it worthwhile to stay on the short stuff. BIG course with many long distance holes. 11 is over 900 ft..... And slightly uphill. The facilities are great, there's concrete at every tee, and the upkeep is amazing. Obstacles are well placed, making for some challenging long throws. LOVE the inverted "bunkers"! Really one of the nicer Rochester courses, and host of the 1999 Worlds. This is the course than ended Climo's streak!
Cons: The tall grass does make it tricky to find your disc if it ends up in the rough, so watch your disc all the way to the ground. If you're looking for any tight/wooded holes, you will be disappointed.
Other Thoughts: The majority of the holes are pretty long, but there are a few birdie/ace holes mixed in, giving the course great variety. Really a gorgeous course all around. It's just as nice as any ball course, but luckily has baskets instead of holes. If you're in the area, you owe it to yourself to play this one!

Throw WIDE N yER PARKed

1    9/26/2010   9/30/2010
Review By: optidiscic
Pros: I have been hearing about Chili for 10 yrs now and finally got up to western NY to give it a whirl. I had heard about the many obstacles such as the silo, windmill, haybales, farm equipment, mounds and elevated greens. I also was prepared to grip-n-rip all day. I wasn't prepared for what unfolded before me as I played this world class course on the grounds of the old Baker Farm. The park itself is truly a disc golf only property and it has its own pavillion with actual restrooms and a huge parking lot with no other activities present. I felt like I was at an actual Bolf course and would have payed for such upkeep and amenities had someone been charging. The land itself is mostly flat with a few slowly rolling hills and a small stream that washes through the center of the course.
What wowed me was the design of the holes that actually created thought provoking holes for big armed players. I have never played a course that forced big guns to think so much..with far away obstacles, alternate skyzer lines, inviting treelines to fly over, and all of these with enough risk reward to tempt birdie for the over 350' crowd leaving lesser arms to throw into the great wide open off the tee and do our thinking on shot 2. The Big Arms who usually have a "me big arm..me throw far" now had to say "me big arm..me thinks now" as they ponder the shot off the tee. I'd imagine weenie arms are like just throw already geeze unaware of the distant choices running through a longer players mind off the tee.
The farm equipment was more fun and less gimmicky to me. I'd love to be able to hit the aluminum silo 389 uphill of the tee that guards basket 17 off the tee. kind of like letting everyone know your there...THWACK! oh SH1T Mr Big Arm is here!!!! Holes 4,11, 14,15, have particularly tempting up and over routes. A well placed big drive could set you up for birdie on several of these holes. Hole 10 is one of the better R doglegs I've played with a well defined lane that if you hit correctly is an easy bird but miss it slightly and you are behind a wall of evergreens. Ace runs on holes 8 and 13 were welcoming and well timed in the flow of the course. Long multi throw holes such as the 911 ft hole 11 and to a lesser extent 6 and 18 provided chances to drive to set up a critical second drive. The elevated greens and elevated baskets brought the wind and fun into teeing off and approaching. Gap throwin over the wash on 5 and blind greens like 16 provided for some interesting moments. Well defined fairways using uncut grass and planted trees to form a true golf experience. The best part of this course is the temptation to go up and over, skyzer around, or just simply bypass many of the obstacles that define the course. Much of the course reminded me of places on Moraine where your tempted to roll, line shape through, or fly over trees and shrubs. You will be rewarded if you have an overhand and a sidearm as getting over or out of evergreens can be tough on the strictly BH player. Did I mention the peaceful serene DG only atmosphere.
Cons: A few things kept me from going 5 rating here. A few of the holes are not very remarkable and I never got that WOW feeling here. For all the definition that the high grass provides it can cause some long searches for not so terrible throws. Thick schule on the border holes that line the property (2,3,11,12,13)
Probably my biggest con is that the course didn't punish me enough. I often felt my scrambles were more like minor adjustments.
Other Thoughts: Initially was gonna put this under cons but decided its more of my own idea and belongs here. I don't have a long arm and I pictured myself playing with some 990 rated players from my home course. I pictured them going big on the uphill hole 14 over the evergreens and getting within 60 ft of the basket missing the putt and dropping in a 3.....birdie look but unlikely. I would throw a more tradional 300 footer into the wide open spaces of the fairway, have a 150 foot approach and make the 15 footer. We both 3. Not fair he outplayed me and we both get a 3. A lot of the course plays like this. I think too many of the obstacles and choices are far from the tee. I'd rather there be a bit more initial danger off the tees here. I was basically looking at open space off the tee and could catch up to those tremendous longer players without much trouble. If there was some more earlier trouble for me to negotiate near the tees and for the bigger guns to bypass then I think your truly creating some real reward for going big here. Is that a popular opinion...no as most players will enjoy getting their 3s along with top players. I just think there are enough technical courses for weenies to slice up the big D guys. I'd like to see Chili be a true Big Arm delight where you have to go big or go home. I also think some subtle off the tee weaving might add something to this course and add some enjoyment to shorter arms while further rewarding the Big Boys. I'm just thinking maybe that one little tree 100 ft away or 2 evergreens forming a low gap 75 feet off the tee. The kind of thing that will add thought to a short arm and be basically invisible to a 400+ thrower.
All in All this is the best open air course I've played and I relish the chance to come back here....for those who want technical go to Basil. This place is an older more open course that somehow seems to have withstood the test of time.

Strictly Discin

1    9/27/2010   9/27/2010
Review By: Pyro419
Pros: Very well groomed and maintained beautiful course in a seemingly built only for disc golf park. excellent mix of holes, plenty of variety. Excellent signage and course layout. easy to navigate. Great course for all.
Cons: A few spots where if your disc gos, its not coming back, a couple of really nasty marshes on the front 9 you absolutely want to avoid. the un-mowed "rough" areas between the holes can be surprisingly difficult to find discs in, bring your brightest discs,
Other Thoughts: Nice brand new little pavilion near the lot to hang out or grill up some lunch.

1    8/17/2010   8/17/2010
Review By: GRamos
Pros: This is a true disc golf course. Holes and tees are marked very well.. A good place to try your skill and a good run through with all your discs.
Cons: Fairways are tight in places so make your shot count. Brush is ok but keep an eye on your shot.. Or if you have a friend or group and you don't trust your judgment have them walk ahead to watch it.. Bring bug spray also.. Bugs are terrible in certine spots
Other Thoughts: Lost my TD4 driver on the course somewhere and friend lost 3 discs. This is a make your shot count course. A really fun course and worth going back to. Plenty of strait shots and some bend shots.. So have your "A game" on.. Beautiful area

Disc Golf sanctuary

1    7/24/2010   7/30/2010
Review By: zapplayer12
Pros: Disc golf only park! Nice newly constructed pavilion next to parking lot
Meticulously maintained, gorgeous piece of land. Somewhat reminiscent of ball golf in appearance
Interesting obstacles (windmill, wood chips, silo, windmill, etc)
Some creative pin placements to add challenge (elevated, protected)
Concrete tee pads, nice signage and baskets in good shape
Well designed, easy to navigate, flows naturally
Many water hazards but few are truly disc eating
Loops back to parking lot after #9
Even though mostly open and long, there's enough dense rough and woods bordering some of the fairways to make you think twice about blindly gripping and ripping your drive on some holes.
Cons: Lacks diversity/technicality as there are no true wooded holes (mainly open)
Very little elevation change (mostly flat)
Seems to not drain very well - was very wet when I played (region around course is swap land)
Alt. tees are not marked well and difficult to locate
Other Thoughts: This course is a thing of beauty - disc golf eye candy! There's just so much visually stimulating about the place that I use the much-detested comparison to a ball golf course - except here you don't have to pay to play.

The strongest part of the course was the front nine as it seemed to have more variety and diversity. Most of the elevation, water, trees, rough & creative pin placements were to be found here. These holes had more character & challenge resulting in greater enjoyment .

The back nine wasn't as strong - while containing more of the longer holes, it was much more open, had fewer of the enjoyable features found on the front nine and played similarly. However, it did consist of many interesting obstacles and manmade structures which gave it a certain charm not often found on disc golf courses.

Weidner Park is a very relaxed, peaceful & overall enjoyable place to play - a type of a disc golf sanctuary if you will. I cannot imagine being in the Rochester area and not playing this course. That would be an epic fail.

5+    6/10/2010   6/15/2010
Review By: LakeBodom397
Pros: Awesome course layout! well defined fairways and roughs.

Handmade, detailed signs on every hole, arrows point to holes that used to be more difficult to find.

Very well maintained, very scenic.

Cons: roughs can be unforgiving, keep an eye on your shots!

not very much elevation change, couple of the holes play down hill.

this course always seems to be windy even on the calmest of days.
Other Thoughts: this was the first course i ever played, i fell in love with the game because of this course. great course for beginners and pros i've never had a "bad" round here!

Best one yet!

1    5/29/2010   5/29/2010
Review By: jlandry117
Pros: Each hole is clearly labeled; so no guessing where to go next. Grounds are kept up nice. I actually felt like i was on a golf course. There's a few very long holes and some good natural obstacles; tons of trees and high brush along with defined fairways and rough. This is the nicest course i have been to so far!
Cons: Honestly none. I have been enjoying heavily wooded courses lately which this is not at all but was still a great course to play on.
Other Thoughts: If you haven't been here yet you should definately check it out, you will not be dissappointed.

Can't wait to get back

5+    5/30/2010   5/7/2010
Review By: OzzyMac
This review was updated on 7/7/2010
Pros: This was the course that I started playing on, and it still stands up to any other local course. This place really simulates the "real" golf course environment, complete with some raised tees and greens, lots of un-mowed "rough" and the best variety around. The concrete teepads makes my 4 into a 4.5.

UPDATE: Played a few Rochester rounds this weekend and this course is REALLY nice now. The signs are great and I really like the illustrated full course signs.
Cons: The bugs can get REALLY nasty in mid-summer. Also, there's a few places where you can easily lose a disc in high grass/nasty brush.

UPDATE: Seems that this course can get rather crowded these days.
Other Thoughts: I took the game for granted when I was playing rounds weekly here. I'd kill to be 10 minutes away from this place like I used to be.

Throwin' on the Farm

1    4/2/2010   4/5/2010
Review By: mobster
Pros: Great course layout with most of the holes flowing very nicely. There are some great technical holes from the cement tees; some very long bombs from the same tees as well. The mounds and fences add another dimension in obstacles and make you think about where your throw will land. Course is kept nice; hardly saw any trash or vandalism.
Cons: The shorter tees are hard to find at times; they're not marked on the maps.
Other Thoughts: I was expecting a lot out of Baker and it didn't disappoint. I'm going to suggest we add mounds like Baker at my local course instead of just planting more trees. As a Rec player, the cement tees weren't that big of a challenge until hole 11. The most important thing was that I had fun and my father-in-law had a blast for his first time as well.