Chili, NY
Chili DGC Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #11 (Taken 4/2010)

Requires Powerful Accuracy

1    8/17/2008   8/19/2008
Review By: TenaciousMV
Pros: Beautiful landscape; requires a very large variety of shots to score well; extremely large variation in hole lengths; well placed obstacles that punish poor throws; a variety of ways to approach many of the holes; generally well manicured; the course shows pride in the sport; some tee shots will force creativity to allow for a reasonable angle of attack on the basket; word is there are generally course maps and score cards at the start, although they weren't there; many touches that don't go unnoticed; for those that go to Ellison often, you'll be very pleased with how busy this course is - it's funny how a 911 foot hole can deter a family taking their 6 kids out to play there :)
Cons: Grass tee areas; tee areas that are sometimes hard to find; no true technical holes; a few quasi-dangerous tee areas (like the 7th); some very dense brush just off the fairways can make finding your disc a painful ordeal; you may shoot at the wrong basket without a map the first time you play
Other Thoughts: Baker farm completely surprised me. Looking at the pictures, it looks way too wide open to be a course I would even start to consider excellent. The pictures simply don't do it justice - much of this due to the course's length. The obstacles are there. Yes, the course is relatively open at first glance, but if you let your drive go nose up off any given tee and it veers hyzer, you can safely bet it will end up in trouble. I made the comment to my friend by about the fifth hole - "It's like they designed this course on a computer! How did they create this layout?" You simply can't get a feel for these holes by looking at the pictures. I took a picture of one of the baskets, the 12th I believe, that may give a bit more of a feel for what this course is like than the shots from the tee. I'll put it up sooner than later.

If this course had concrete tees and better signage, I'd have to consider giving it a 4.5 - near perfection. I still may not be able to go that high, however, as the truly technical holes just aren't there. Am I asking for too much? I don't think so… I look at the word 'perfect' for a 5.0 and that's what I'm going off of. Baker Farm doesn't have every little thing required to be a 4.5 or a 5.0, but this course doesn't have any glaring flaws. This course is Excellent - 4.0. Can't for my next trip to Rochester so I can play it and Ellison again.

EDITS: timg has informed me that I did indeed miss the practice basket, so I've removed it from the cons. Word is there will be concrete tee pads installed within the next couple of years - when that happens I may come back and bump this to a 4.5 after playing again...

Must Play

5+    6/28/2008   8/14/2008
Review By: Dave
This review was updated on 8/7/2009
Pros: Very scenic use of a former farm. Even a small silo next to one of the baskets. Room to throw, but few baskets out in the open.
Cons: Thick woods & brush along the fairways. Too likely to lose a disc if you go astray.
Other Thoughts: The only baskets with no obstructions or technical fairways are 700 to 900 feet long. The front nine plays pretty qucikly. The back nine is long. When we are short of time, we play the front nine two or three times.

7/26/2008   7/26/2008
Review By: MarkN
Pros: Very nice course with good variety, great setting. Challenges come from unmown rough, inverted bunkers, guarded baskets, raised baskets, creek, & some trees too. Nice signs. Disc only park.
Cons: Baskets can be difficult to see (all grey) and most tees marked with metal plates on ground which can be difficult to find.
Other Thoughts: A buddy has told me that he won't play this course in summer since parts get over grown. This may be at the whim of town maintenance crew. However, course was in great shape late July. I had no trouble locating my numerous tosses that sailed off the fairway.

This course is set up similarly to ball golf course.

Disc Golf Paradise

1    6/3/2007   7/13/2008
Review By: bjreagh
This review was updated on 1/22/2010
Pros: This course is absolutely fabulous!!! It is terrific setting for DG, providing a unique style. The layout makes very good use of the land. It flows very well from one hole to the next. There is a terrific variety of hole length, including one monster over 900' from the long tees to as short as just under 200'! Baker Farm is challenging in its own way, charming, and very fun to play!!!!!

It is out in the middle of nowhere and there was nobody else on the course when I played it- very peaceful and serene.

Defined lush fairways separated by tall grass, and obstacles such as a creek, windmill, and silo make this course stand out from other woods or park courses I have played- it is a farm!
Cons: The parking area was a little uninviting and the driveway was tough to find as your can't really see the course from the road.

Some people might have a problem with the natural tees, but this course didn't seem to get a lot of traffic for some reason, and the natural pads were in pretty good shape. I feel the natural tees actually ADD to the overall effect of this course!

*Update- the course now has concrete tees.

The markers in the ground can be hard to find as they are almost flush with the grass.
Other Thoughts: A must play if you are anywhere near Rochester (which, as a bonus, is not too far from Niagara Falls!) Rochester has several quality courses and makes for a good disc golf desintation.

This is personally my favorite DG course (not the hardest, but the most memorable). Once your round begins you forget about anything else.

Great Course to Play!

7/3/2008   7/7/2008
Review By: DeafDiscGolfer
Pros: Great course for all levels of players to check out! Perfect for newbies to try out and for Pros/Adv. to practice many big driving shots and putting as well. There are three different tee placements, Yellow (Pro), Red (Rec./Adv. Women), and Blue (Women/Children).

This course makes you feel "That's the real DG course!" and also feels very private that you could play naked all the way without being caught (don't take my actual suggestion!).

Big wide-open flat field and beautiful view.

I like #15 hole at the far end of the course which has the feeling of "make it or break it" for making either a deuce or a par or possibly a bogey if you screw up your driving shot. Watch out for trees on left side of #15. That hole has two different pin placements. Hole #2 and #8 also have two different pin placements as well.

There's #19 hole with around-the-world bricks laid in grass right next to parking lot area.

Its the one of the sites of 1999 Pro Worlds.
Cons: No trash bins anywhere, its "carry in/carry out" park. No Pro shop, no bathrooms, or no drinking water supply at the course. Need to bring enough drinks or you will pass out at the back 9 holes during hot sunny days.

Sometimes the course is not well maintained by the town of Chili. Might be their moods to mow the grass completely or part of it. Need to pay attention to your disc if it goes off the fairways into tall grasses.

#3 and #15 holes gets very muddy during spring seasons but dries up better in couple weeks.

All the wood tee signs are getting old and falling apart. There's used to be colored tee blocks sticking out of the grass but now its being replaced with flat colored tee markers which makes it difficult to find for the new visitors. Need to hunt around for a bit until you find it. I guess it makes it easier for the town to mow over without getting off to remove the tee blocks every time.

Lots of walking involved. Might be good exercises for non-DGers to tag along.

This year or next year, Town of Chili will be making some changes to the course which they will tear down the white house (formerly housed Chili Disc Golf Club and Pro shop) and will be adding a walking trails and possible dog park (oh crap!) but it might help to maintain the course better?
Other Thoughts: This is the very first course that introduced me to the world of Disc Golf in 1996 when my deaf college friends brought me there to check it out. I was totally hooked after playing there! I believe I did play at this course at almost everyday for the first three years before I moved further away. This course has taught me a lot and improving my driving shots as well.

This year (2008), I adopted hole #15 for myself and my dog, which I have been taking him there since he was a year old and now he's 13. He loved this place ever since then. His favorite hang outs are sitting in the creek water at between #4 and #5 to cool off and then chill out at #15 which has a great view of the entire course from the sitting bench.

Recommend for Newbies or Rec. players to start off at Red tees first to get to know the course before moving up to the Yellow tees.

Please sign in the logbook at the kiosk and pick up after your dog(s) and trashes.

Worth checking out if you are in the area! This course is one of my favorites!!

A true highlight!

6/6/2007   3/13/2008
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: The most unique disc golf layout I have ever seen. Long, short, hyzer, anhyzer, silos?, windmill??!!. Yep. This course truly has it all.
Cons: No woods holes...but I don't really care about that anyway.
Other Thoughts: Once we found this course, it was 3 hours of great times. My buddies and I traveled to Rochester from Nashville, and this course was a consensus enjoyment. One of my buddies through an absolute laser into the windmill. But it stayed up. We were the only ones there at the time we played and it was like our own disc golf heaven.

2/20/2008   2/20/2008
Review By: bryon
Pros: Beautiful looking course. Very unique in Disc Golf standards. Groomed to look like a ball golf course with a lot of landscaping. Three tee placements per hole which change often. Plus most holes have additional pin placements. (can be windy) Has a couple of raised greens that are nice to look at and challenging to putt on. If you play from the RED (middle position tee) you have a lot of potential birdie holes and if you play from YELLOW (long position tee) you have a lot of practice with letting it rip. Great course for beginners.
Cons: The last few years the town hasn't been the best supported for Disc Golf. Hopefully that will improve.
Other Thoughts: On a side, note, It is said when Ed Hendrich (Father of Disc Golf) first visited this course, he got out of his car, stared out into the course and said something like… This is exactly how I dreamt Disc Golf courses would look like. (Quote isn't an exact quote because I wasn't there, but you get the idea)

TOP 3 in Rocester Area

5+    9/18/2007   9/20/2007
Review By: prerube
This review was updated on 12/15/2009
Pros: Course gives an opportunity to let loose with a variety of shots and constent changes are made to the course to prevent monotony.
The course starts out with an elevated tee pad to get you excited at the begining of the game.
It's very nice that the course is exclusively a disc golf course, no worries about stepping poo or having a dog run off with your disc like at Ellison.
Course features some finess holes and room to practice you long drives. including a 900 foot bomb for those of you wanting to air out your favorite putter.
Tounament quality course that is well manicured.
Cons: There is a small chance for disc loss. The course is relatively open which seems beginner friendly, but a 900 foot hole is never a beginner hole. This course favors the big arms, if you can't throw 300 feet consistently then the course won't play the same.
Other Thoughts: remember to sign the notebook.
Clearly a memorable course with several other great courses in the area, worth a weekend trip.

Wide open spaces

8/25/2007   9/1/2007
Review By: MattK
Pros: This is a true disc golf course, not just disc golf wedged into park space. Tees are well marked with detailed carved wooden signs. The length of the holes make driving a workout. The unique terrain of the greens, with mounds, trees, and even a silo can make putting interesting as well.
Cons: The color scheme of the tees is unconventional, thinking that reds were the shortest I played from the yellows, not noticing the order of Yellow>Red>Blue...confusing for the first time through.
Also I echo the sentiments about some of the holes on the back nine, particularly the long 11th and 18th. They reminded me of what I don't like about ball golf: throw it as far as you can; chase it; repeat.
Other Thoughts: Everyone who complains that DG has no driving ranges will love this course. For the rest of us, it is still a very interesting, unique and relaxing place that is worth the visit.

Ehhh

5/25/2007   6/12/2007
Review By: CraigC
This review was updated on 2/29/2008
Pros: The front 9 has a wide variety of short-medium length holes. A creek brings course management into play for 3-4 holes on the front. Hole signage is very nice. It's not part of a public park, so there isn't any non-DGers to get in your way.
Cons: The back 9 is terrible. Basically it's "see how far you can throw your disc across an open field" with little originality.