Toronto, ON
Toronto Island Share
Uploaded By: AdamH Hole #4 (Taken 8/2009)
Hole #4 Short Tee Sign

Good, not Great

1    7/24/2010   7/24/2010
Review By: maniak
Pros: There are a number of positive things to say about this course. To start, it's very well signed. There are two concrete tee pads and two baskets for each hole, each tee pad on each hole has its own sign indicating how far it is to both baskets.

As a result of the course having both short and long tees plus two basket positions for nearly all the holes, it gives the course a great replay factor. The front tees are short enough to allow the beginners to have fun but well placed enough to challenge intermediate players. The back tees are quite long on some holes, good for the big arms out there.

What the course lacks in elevational variety, it makes up for in obstacle variety. There are some short tight holes, some open holes with a narrow section to shoot through, tunnel shots etc… There are even yellow fire hydrants all over the place that you could hit if you're not careful. Another factor to consider is the wind. When I played the wind was quite calm, but I imagine it could pick up since this course is somewhat exposed in the middle of the great lakes.
Cons: As others have brought up, the course is very flat, leading to a slight repetitive feel. If this course could employ some elevation, it could really take advantage of the beautiful scenery and incorporate it more into the course layout.

I don't know if it's just me, but it seems as though the holes tend to curve off to the right more than they do to the left, making it easier for a natural LHBH thrower or RHFH thrower to play through the course. I'm all for some challenge but I believe in balanced course design and this course could benefit from it.

For such a highly rated and talked about course, I honestly expected the course maintenance to be better. Not that it's bad or really even much of an issue per se, but I expected more.

I liked the fact that there are two pin locations on each hole but it wasn't consistent and I often couldn't tell which hole location was being used. As a result, I had to walk halfway down the fairway just to see where I was shooting. This caused my round to take a little longer than expected which was ok, but it got annoying after a while.
Other Thoughts: The ferry ride over to the course offers great views of the city!

Even if you're with people who aren't into disc golf, there's a variety of other ways for them to amuse themselves on Toronto Island while you get a round in.

Other people have mentioned the price of the ferry as being a con to this course. The course is but a small part of the Toronto Islands and there is so much else to do that if you play disc golf, maybe go for a bike ride or check out the amusement park, you'll get your money's worth no problem. As of summer 2010, the price of the ferry round trip is $6.50 CAD, a bargain if you ask me.

One last thing, it seems as though if you play early, you'll have the course to yourself, if you play later on, it seems to get quite busy from what I hear. I played around 11am and had the entire course to myself, with just the odd bicycle cruising by.

Overall, this course is good but not fantastic. I had heard all kinds of hype about this course before I played it. I didn't look at the pictures on DGCR before I played and I just expected a bit more. I expected this course to be in my top 3 but sadly its not.

The Island

2-4    9/17/2008   1/6/2010
Review By: Gator
Pros: Like everyone else said its a fun challenging course on a bueatiful island. I drive up from Rochester, NY (5 hours) to play this once a year for a tourney. Camping is available on the island. After the first tourney we tossed discs back at the island as we pulled away on the ferry (a local tradition we were told) it was really cool.
Cons: The cost of the ferry ride.
Other Thoughts: I think the fact that the course is really flat isn't so bad sense the course is fairly technical. Look for the Team Discraft player on the island.

Toronto Island Scenic Disc Golf Course (and more)

1    3/27/2009   3/28/2009
Review By: aaronarndt
Pros: Nice baskets. (A short and long basket layout for each hole)
Excellent tee pads (really nice). (Short and long tee pads for each hole)
Very well maintained.
Nice mix of required shots.
Very picturesque.
Nice views. When you are there, it is hard to believe you are actually in Toronto. It feels like you are in cottage country, even though you can still see the Toronto skyline on a few of the holes (and of course during the ferry ride).
Generous gaps, long course with moderate amount of precision required to score well.
I played this course with most of the baskets in the long position, and it is definitely a challenging course. It is long, with a few par 4's scattered throughout. But, it is tight enough that you have to be accurate on every drive. Most of the roughs are unforgiving. If you are careless, and simply shoot for distance on your drive, you'll likely end up in the rough, and it will definitely affect your score.
It is a nice mix of requiring you to be accurate and/or conservative, while definitely testing your long game. It's tough to shoot under par without a big arm. I only had one birdie my whole first round on one of the par 4's. A few of the holes require you to plan your shots. There is a really nice par 4 right dog-leg (when #8 is in the long position) that can lure you into taking some risk...
Nice mix of short and longs, a crew periodically moves the baskets to keep the course seeming fresh to the regulars. I believe they are soon to put in multiple baskets on a few of the longest holes for permanent flexibility in course options.
A few looks for aces, I had a look on #9 that was "oh so close" (basket in the short position).
A nice practice area with two baskets that can really help space out the groups (which is needed, see [*] below).
The ferry ride can be a nice touch if you are from out of town and want to see Toronto. It is one of the nicest ways to see the skyline, take a picture, etc... Plus, there is plenty of other stuff to do on the Islands.
Cons: No elevation change to speak of.
The ferry ride.
The cost. $6.50 for the ferry, plus parking plus transit.
You are bound by the ferry schedule. Not necessarily going to negatively affect you, but you lose the flexibility of simply arriving and leaving whenever you want to. Do check the ferry schedule before you leave. You could be waiting as long as two hours for the next ferry to leave if you arrive at the wrong time expecting to just hop on a boat.
The course can be crowded with other golfers. On the nicest days, the golfers will flock to the island in droves, and they all get there at the same time (on a ferry[*]). And yes, they do watch the weather. If you arrive there on a nice Saturday, and it's your first time on the course, you might feel a bit cramped by other groups playing around you. It's not the easiest course to navigate (though with a map you shouldn't have any trouble) Link: http://img72.imageshack.us/im...landdicz0.jpg, so the first time on the course you are likely going to encounter regulars that are able to play the course faster than you. It shouldn't be a problem, as I think just about every Canadian Disc Golfer is super friendly, but if you are looking for a nice quiet isolated game, this probably isn't the ideal course unless you are playing at a particularly low-traffic time.
The water is really only in play on one hole #9, but it can be pretty intimidating. I saw about six or seven discs sitting on the ice.
Other Thoughts: I don't get it. Don't get me wrong, this is a great course. But, between the commitment of time getting there, the ferry, getting into the city, and getting back, the experience on the whole wasn't as spectacular as I'd hoped. Maybe I am spoiled (I live 5 minutes from White Spruce Park in Brampton), but I think a "just as good" or better Disc Golf experience can be had at either WSP or Bronte Provincial Park. Personal opinion: If I were from out of town, was looking for a really great DISC GOLF experience, but had the chance to only play one course, it wouldn't be the Island. The other courses are just that good.
If you do go to the Toronto Island Disc Golf Course, take my advice: go early, take the whole day, bring a bike and a lock, and see and do more there than just Disc Golf. Take a tour and enjoy the rest of the island and the scenery, then it will truly be worth the investment of time.

Unique Setting

8/7/2008   8/10/2008
Review By: FoleyT
Pros: Would be a good challenging course to accomplished players I'm sure. Precision shots required on many of the holes, and there are plenty of challenges, doglegs to the left and right, tunnel shots, and a few 'big arm' holes. Scenery is varied and interesting, from views of the Toronto skyline to Lake Ontario to marinas full of sailboats, and surrounding islands and channels.
Cons: Rough can be frequently unforgiving, we wasted a lot of time poking through the mosquito infested schule searching for errant throws. After a while the flat terrain got a little monotonous, even a molehill would have been a welcome distraction. Very pricey to play for someone out of the area, parking ($$), subways ($$), and ferry ($$) made this the most expensive course we played during our recent vacation.
Other Thoughts: Allow plenty of time to visit these islands, aside from the disc golf, there was a lot of the island that we didn't get to see because we were stuck to a tight schedule. A very picturesque little place to visit, and the ferry ride is quite short and painless (about 5-10 minutes)

Worth the price of admission

9/22/2007   9/24/2007
Review By: timg
Pros: Very well maintained, Dual concrete tee-pads, multiple pin positions, a practice area with 2 baskets and signs at each tee with hole maps. Also, benches at most tees and very friendly locals.
Cons: First-timers might have difficulty making their way from hole to hole without a map. No elevation changes. Also, price to play ($6 Ferry plus parking.. so ~$15 or so).
Other Thoughts: This was a great course with a lot of challenging holes and diversity. Water comes into play on 2 holes although it is a only a major threat on one of those. Each hole has plenty of trees and bushes to contend with as well, making even some of the shorter shots a potential challenge. As far as length goes, most holes on the island play in the middle. There aren't any that I would consider too short nor are there any that are particularly long. In short, disc golfers at any skill level can have an enjoyable round here.

So, should you play this course if you're in the area? Definitely. There is a great mix of holes here in a very scenic park that I can't imagine anyone not liking.