Rocky Mount, NC
Rocky Mt. Sports Complex Share
Uploaded By: LeeLK Hole #16 (Taken 7/2014)

Swamped

2-4    3/9/2009   9/4/2009
Review By: Olorin
This review was updated on 10/20/2010
Pros:
*There are 2 sets of tees, so there's some variety. (White = Short, Black = Long)
*There's water in play on 3 holes. The drive from hole 8's Long tees is the most dramatic, and the one I enjoyed the most.
*Navigating the course is pretty easy, even without a map.
*The Long layout has a perfect balance of fairway shapes with 6 St/ 6 Left/ 6 Right. (But the Short layout has a preponderance of straight holes with 10 St/ 3 Lt/ 5 Rt)
Cons:
-When I played in March there were big swamps or swampy areas on 11 holes. The hole 4 tee was totally under water. Hole 7 was the worst with a big deep black swamp that you could lose discs in. Hole 16 could have water on lots of the fairway and all around the basket. A few holes were hard to get down the fairway because I had to walk over logs. These inconveniences were the major hindrance to my enjoyment, but maybe it's drier in the summer.
-Like the other courses in Rocky Mount, this one is mostly flat. The greatest elevation change is +6 ft.
-The tee signs could be improved. They were small and minimal.
Other Thoughts: Black tees (Long) Course Level: White (most suited for Intermediate players rated 900.)
White tees (Short) Course Level: Red (most suited for Juniors and Intermediate players rated 850)
Both layouts are shorter than average for their level.

You be the judge-
My favorite hole: 8 from the Long tees. A beautiful shot over the water that's loaded with risk vs. reward.

It's in a wetland area, so there are restrictions on what can be built on the course.
Each layout has 10 holes in the woods, with the other 8 a mixture of wide open grass or scattered trees.
The new double chain Discatcher baskets are in great shape. I thought the rubber mat tee pads were adequate, but just a little bit too short.
They use a non-standard tee color system instead of the usual PDGA colors. This may lead some confusion since the short (White) tees are actually Red level while the long tees (Black) are actually White level.
There a few amenities-- no course map, no warm up basket, no message board, no benches, and no trash cans-- but the course is still new, so hopefully those will come in time.

All in all, there were some good holes over the water and through the woods, but I think the swamps dampened my enthusiasm so that my enjoyment factor was merely average.

A note about my rating: My rating is a subjective measure of my enjoyment of the course, on the day I played it, and it is NOT intended to be a measure of the quality of the course. My ratings are given "on the curve" in relation to all other courses I've played.