Miranda, CA
Uploaded By: humchris85

5.0-Best of the Best - It already says it

1    3/17/2013   3/20/2013
Review By: trashmonster1985
Pros: Played the BYOD @ BOP on the 17th with my girlfriend this year. I can't believe this course, between the views and the terrain, it's by far my favorite course I've ever played. I love the elevation changes, the greens for baskets are beautiful and make the course feel very well established in the rough terrain. It is something similar to a West Coast Brackett's Bluff. Not the course itself but just the families dedication to a true Disc Golf course and atmosphere. The tournament was awesome, great people, awesome prizes, just all-around fun. My girlfriend and I finished +1
Cons: I can't say much for con's, every con that is listed is really only a comfort thing. It's a little hard to get to. Not that anything in the norcal coast is easy for driving. Not really such a bad thing though, could be a Pro. Hard to get on the course to play, once again though almost adds to the "mystique." None of the con's I could think of are really only con's if you don't want an adventure.
Other Thoughts: I usually am more thorough in my reviews, but I feel that everything I could think of has been said in previous reviews. Caleb and the family are gracious hosts, and since I live in the area now, I hope to play out there again in a casual round or tourney, I don't care, any way I can get to play Birds again. There were new rubber tee pads added for the tournament, as well as some key benches put in through out. which is huge. They also mentioned purchasing more rubber tee pads to be added soon.

A Pleasant Surprise

1    11/10/2012   2/8/2013
Review By: Dottedmind
This review was updated on 8/31/2013
Pros: Hear is a list of the pros I found on the course

+ Challenging layout that never bores.
+ wicked elevation throughout
+ signature water hole and yes water too!
+ Course starts and finishes where you start
+ course goes by the parking area a few times enabling you to load up on beverages.
+ Par 3's, par 4's, and par 5's.
+ Very clean on private land.
+ Camping option on course.
+ plenty of parking on top of the hill.
+ Flow is good and all the holes are tied in together with no long walks between holes.
+ location, location, location. Norcal with beautiful weather and its never to cold or hot to play here.
+ always has a guide if its open for play
+ Course is always changing a little by adding or losing a hole. keeps it interesting.
+ honest, pack your trash in and out.
+ brews are acceptable and welcomed
+ Awesome host and the course bleeds "for the love of the game"
+ course maintenance is fine and course was in great shape.
Cons: - Best accessed by truck or SUV. You can get to the course with a car but its rough road at times and you dont want the car to be weighed down.
- No teepads (kinda not a con since the course is always evolving and changing layouts). Especially when your teeing from rock structures. This also applies to the no tee signs, but you have a guide so you dont need them its private.
- limited trash cans, but it s private and you will know ahead of time.
- No stores or places to buy food for 5 miles
- bathrooms, none. Use nature.
- At times course feels only big arm friendly. Really makes you want those birdies on shorter holes if you cant reach the big ones.
- Baskets are mixed or seasoned ( i'm just happy to play with baskets)
- Gaitors required at certain times of the year.
- Side of mountain can get tall grass around the large green at certain times of the year.
- The drive in from the freeway is slow and grueling.
Other Thoughts: This is a tough to get to but beautiful BIG ARM COURSE. The holes are epic in grandeur but many many long shots. I can't say it's the best course in Cali. But it is a spectacular thing for sure.

Argh......

1    11/10/2012   11/14/2012
Review By: cordovafirebird
Pros: This course is a monster in every sense of the good kind. Its challenging, has length, massive hills with a large surrounding valley, and 27 holes of the best golf I have played. I have played half the state and this course has to be right up there as one of the best, if not thee best course. I loved the views, wild looking holes, and even some of the teepads that really gave your bum the pucker factor with the huge drop at the end of the pad. This place has a ton of defining holes, a few par 4's and a 5. Course guide was good to have and I liked the chill factor here. You feel like you have this place to yourself so there is never any rush to play quick. This course needs to be soaked up and played multiple times. Parking and restrooms werent an issue for me and should be fine for all. Course was easy to navigate and I noticed there are multiple people that can guide if the course is open to the public on certain days. Course played smooth with no hiccups, no lost discs for us, and I even heard they check the ponds every once and a while so you can get your plastic back. Come play here and experience yourself or message me and I will tell you all you need to know.
Cons: Bumpy road into the course. Course is a way off the grid. No actual hole or course complaints, but I'm bummed to hear that a few holes will be going away, but that does make me interested to come back and see what holes were created to fill those in. A con could be that the course requires alot of walking and for some of us old timers it can be alot. Expect to do alot of walking and wear gaiters in the spring and summer
Other Thoughts: I would love to camp here and soak up a weekend of golf here. Love the wildlife and land. You definitely need to bring all your food and beverage with you. Drive in a larger vehicle and make sure your gassed up. No gas within 20 miles I believe. I only wish I could hunt and disc golf while camping. That would be king.

Lived up to the Legend

1    11/10/2012   11/13/2012
Review By: lion
Pros: 1. The course was so majestic and quiet. No crowds, or freeways, or noisy from roads or players. Just you, the wind, and nature. Private course that doesnt get traffic.
2. When you arrive there is tons of parking that is strategically placed near hole 1 and and many of the middle hols so you can always go back to the car for drinks or food during the round.
3. Views, WOW. The course is littered with views. The property contains 550 acres and with that much room, you get the opportunity to check out the entire valley in all directions. Gives you many opportunities to take scenic pictures and golf from spots that some only dream of.
4. Unique Teepads! Sure most of the holes have natural pads, but the ones that dont are unique, especially when your teeing off of rock structures or boulders. Very cool and thrilling all in one.
5. Course comes with a guide. The host was very nice and accommodating to me. I literally asked to play the course 3 months out from the date I wanted and he made it happen. He was very nice to open the facillity for all players that day and guide first timers through. Playing the round with the guide/course designer made it very easy to play the course. I understand why there are no signs here. Once you play the course and feel the flow of it, its very easy to follow and signs arent necessary on a private course. Also layed out the land micely for my group showing us the lines and were there might be poison oak or spots you should avoid.
6. Flow of the course is very smooth and it all connects with no long hikes between holes. Some holes require long walks, but thats only because your throwing a few top of the world style shots.
7. Signature holes. The course has half a dozen that will stick in your head and that are very memorable. Some courses don't have any, but Birds has quite a few and there terrific to play.
8. Honest play. The course has its share of water hazards, tree hazards, OB lines, roll aways, large revines that will suck your disc in if you turn it over, and massive cliffs to keep all players honest. Well placed baskets keep most players honest and offer the true risk and reward option if you go for it. I witnessed all hazards come into play over a round. Brutal.
9. All the holes have baskets on this private course and they were in good shape. No complainents. I even liked the hanging basket after the Par 5 hole, good addition.
10. Good mixture of Length. Holes range from the high 100's to 700+ in feet. It was nice to see a Par 5 and two Par 4's on the course. Those holes were well structured and very challenging. I never felt like a hole was just there as a filler hole. All the holes had there own challenges and were fun.
11. Score, this course offered plenty of birdies. Even some of the longer holes were birdie oppotunities with the elevation drops on a few holes. Sure there are long 400+ foot par 3's that might not be reachable by some players, but it didnt mean you couldn't finish under par with a solid round of golf played. Good scores are possible.
12. Course had a good mixture of elevation and wooded holes. I want to say that three quarters of the holes had elevation changes and that a third of the holes were wooded. There were very few flat holes on the course, and if they were flat then they were wooded or had tight wooded lines. Keeps many players honest and wanting more.
13. If planned in advance I'm sure camping during certain weekends, or tourneys, or matchplay events would be possible and there is plenty of room to do so.
14. Land, is amazing to have a course with a stream, rolling hills, woods, massive rock structures, and a private road. The course is maintained pretty good. With the owner and local disc golfers helping out at times the course gets a good weed wacking and mow every once and awhile. The Fall and Spring bring amazing colors to the property. The summer brings plenty of wildlife. The course is maintained as best as it could be with all the land it has. No complainents there.
15. Free to play. The course doesnt ask for a fee to play it and thats very cool. If you want to donate something then do, but your not required.
16. Midway thru the course there is a good area to chill with plenty of chairs and shade. The course had plenty of benches throughout to sit on and plenty of shade on the course. The sun will not beat you down here. Course is probably 20 miles from the coast.
16. Course is one of those courses you need to play the entire day at. Plan to be there the hole day, especially to make it worth your wild since its not open a lot.
17. Course is very clean, no trash or garbage littered around.
18 will add more..............on an update
Cons: I didnt feel like there was any cons for the actual course. Here are a few things that might be good to make awhere before people show up:

1. gravel road into course is a little rough and can be hard on cars. Recommend SUV or trucks when coming to course.
2. Pack your own trash out.
3. Nature is your latrine and a well designated spot would be cool in case you camped.
4. Bring lots of food and water when showing up. None are available on site or nearby.
5. Pretty much pack like your going camping if your coming for the day and are from out of town.
6. I would like to maybe see a calender posted somewhere online of future dates the course might be open or be put on an email list that get dates the course will be open for play.
7. Have the option to rent the course for the day.
8. Maybe a lost disc bin somewhere on the course in case you find a disc out there. (There was a hole where we actually found a few discs, would of came in handy if we werent playing with the owner)
9. Once the course does get settled in, maps would be cool if large groups show up on certain days.
10. On open days maybe sell drinks there, would help with any future costs for the course.
Other Thoughts: There was alot of hype heading to the course and for me personally it held up to what I was expecting. I went with others and most of them didnt like the course as much as I did. Mostly because of the length I believe which is lame. I cannot wait to go back and play it again especially after hearing that the course is still evolving 8 years after its birth. With new structures going in on the property, certain holes will be retired and others birthed. The Host Caleb was fantastic and cool in general, easy going. He was very patient and accommodating. I showed up late to play and didnt think I was going to finish the course in time, but with Caleb's smart planning and smart guiding we did complete the round in around 4 hours with plenty of breaks for pictures and drinks in the round. If you come to play this course I would drive a truck or SUV or if you have to bring a car make sure its not weighed down. The property has a road you take for like a mile up a hill to where you park, but its not paved and is gravel. The drive can be rough going up and down. If your coming from North of the course via the 101 freeway, the exit before the course Myers First I believe it is has a Market and deli. I would stock up there before heading into the course. The course has a private gate and bridge you have to cross/access to get on the property. Once on you definitely dont want to go anywhere to get supplies. The drive from the freeway is like 6 miles to hole 1 and can take some time do to alot of turns and tight roads. I will be back here with friends and family. My group and I donated some cash and plastic to the course guide Kaleb. We hope this helps with any future renovations. I have played over 250 courses in the state of California and this course is definitely in the top 5 in the state. Its in my top 3, where it falls I will be the only one who knows.

Humboldt Mountains Majesty

1    11/10/2012   11/11/2012
Review By: Hazer
Pros: 27 awe-inspiring holes. Epic may not even be the right word to describe this course. It is beyond epic! So many memorable holes. Quite challenging but not ridiculous. Elevation change like none other. Several 'top-of-the-world' shots, the best teeing from atop a gigantic boulder with spectacular 360 views. Absolutely amazing scenery throughout the entire course which plays through the mountain tops in Southern Humboldt county. Great mix of distance and technical shots and the course does not favor any single throwing style; you're going to need to pull out all your shots on this course! 1000+ft par 5 hole and two par 4s put your distance to the test. The most majestic greens I have ever seen, many of which are on hilltops or cliff edges which could intimidate even the most experienced disc golfers. Giant boulders and rock outcroppings in play on many holes. Absolutely extraordinary experience. If you ever get the chance to play this gem, don't pass it up!
Cons: Natural tees, some of which were a little slick or sloppy due to a recent rain. Some baskets only had one set of chains, but after a drive smashed through the chains on 27's basket, Caleb said he is going to add a second set to those baskets. No signs yet, but Caleb is still developing the course and plans to add them when he feels the course is complete. Most holes only have one tee, but for a lot of them a second tee just wouldn't make sense. Some tees were somewhat close to other baskets or fairways so the occasional 'fore' is likely to occur when multiple groups are playing, but this is to be expected on any course with so much elevation change (not that many exist). Very difficult to get a tee time.
Other Thoughts: The course is constantly evolving and who knows exactly what the course will look like when Caleb finally decides it is finished. Shuie and I arrived early and helped him clean up some areas around a green and a revived tee. This was evidence that the course is still changing and hearing the stories from Caleb other disc golfers that have witnessed the course's evolution was a real treat. The day I played a lot of people came to play, many of whom are members on this site. It was great to meet so many great people and talented disc golfers. Caleb has created an absolute masterpiece of a course and it's no wonder that people drive from all over the country just for a chance to play it. It's well worth it.
The pond shot hole features two ponds, one in front of the basket and one behind, named 'Wizard Pond', and 'Buzz Pond', respectively. They are what they eat.
A couple holes will be removed and replaced soon due to their proximity to a new house being built.
Can't wait to play again!

Top 3 Course

2-4    7/23/2012   9/2/2012
Review By: McComasDG
Pros: Shot variation, beautiful scenery, challenging layout, variety of length. multiple basket locations. Direction of play can be altered.
Others' comments say it all. An incredible course all around.
Cons: the natural teepads can be a bit slippery or uneven. It's tough to get a time when you can play the course outside of tourneys. lots of burrs when you get off the fairways. Very hilly, so you should be ready for a vigorous hike.
Other Thoughts: wonderful course. Worth the drive every time.

Blown Away

2-4    5/6/2012   8/19/2012
Review By: Blazer530
Pros: I got to play this course for the Buddha Tree tourney. I had been hearing about it for years from my brother and finally got the chance to come up and see it. It is amazing! The views are too beautiful to describe, and even pictures don't seem to do it justice. The golf was out of this world. 27 holes with more different shots than I have ever seen on a course. Some that stick out in my mind are the big downhill off of the rock (not the best tee pad), the par 5 that goes across a huge canyon with OB all along the side, the big uphill par 4 that I only saw 1 person birdie during the whole weekend. There were some really short holes that you could ace too, but they were so tight that none of them were a gimme. There are holes that play both to the left and right, making the course play fair for both lefty's and righty's. There was drinking water around the course in a few different spots, which is really helpful when you are playing a course this big. There is even a bar near a couple of holes.
Cons: There are only dirt tee pads (though they are in pretty good shape) and one tee that throws off of the top of a rock on the top of a hill, the rock tee pad is really uneven and short probably the worst part of the course, despite the shot being so cool. There was also some poison oak around, but not as bad as other courses that I've played.
Other Thoughts: The Buddha Tree tourney that I got to play up here was one of the funnest tournaments that I have ever played. The people were as fun as the golf. There was a stage set up and even a free taco feed and show on Saturday night. The owner was very friendly and he has designed one of the funnest mountain golf course experiences ever.

Paradise found

1    8/13/2012   8/18/2012
Review By: Stan McDaniel
Pros: Thank you Caleb for giving me the guided tour of your incredible course. Thanks Tom and Rodney for setting that up. A short hike to hole 1 and then teeing of on a huge open downhill hole of around 400'. Grand and majestic. Tom's shot turned over and went about 700', oops. This is a course that those who do not like wooded tight courses will love, and those like me who do love wooded tight courses will love too. Wow, so many epic looking tee shots that seem to sail forever. So much steep terrain. Risk reward for long arms even though the course is mostly open. The short holes have plenty of danger. Diane, my wife, flew by the pin on a short hole and went 150' downhill. 27 holes of amazing views and challenging shots from steep downhill to steep uphill. Hole 25 dwarfs DeLaviega's top of the world shot. So many nearly 360 degree panoramic views that go for miles. Oh, to live near this place. My rating of 4 is only because this course is a work in progress. It will be much higher when Caleb gets further along. I can't begin to describe the beauty of this place.
Cons: Need benches for this arduous course.That much hiking needs to give legs a rest before each tee shot. No need for the crossing fairway with this much land even it they don't seem to be conflicting. There is a need for longer more level tee pads. I don't mind the natural pads, but length and more level is necessary for the long throws required. With all the terrain I am not sure how much a tee sign with distances would actually have helped, but, it would be nice to have those distances in my head before throwing. I would also like to see a bit more clearing on some green areas so that there was no fluff within the 10 meter zone. I would like to see an 18 hole layout of par 72 with the other 9 optional. With this land I wanted more par 4's and 5's.(nothing wrong with the existing par 3's) Tough walking with irregular ground. Bring ankle high shoes and those things that keep burrs and spiky grass seed off your socks or else they will be throwaways. Bring plenty of water and drinks if you go there in summer. As I stated before, this is a course that is a work in progress. When some of the aforementioned amenities have been provided this will likely the course that I call my favorite.
Other Thoughts: I will return. No trip to Cali without calling Caleb and returning to Birds.

Hey top pros, this is your course, the one you've been dying for. Go see it.

This place is Amazing!

2-4    7/15/2012   8/18/2012
Review By: ashmgee
Pros: Where do you start?

All holes basketed!

Tons of variety including elevation, left, right, long, short, open, technical, multiple par ratings (3,4,5), and those are mixed well throughout this course.

Great flow!

Beautiful oak woodland mixed with larger Douglas-fir.

water hazards in play as well as plenty of trouble for errant shots.

I really am not going to get into the pros (the list could go on and on) any more than to say that if you get a chance to play here take it. This place is mountain style golf that will leave most feeling tired, not bragging about their score, but totally satisfied that they had a great day at a great course.
Cons: Poisonoak!!!

no concrete or rubber tees (it is private property so i totally understand)

It will be a long round so make a day of being there (not a con)

The hike will take it out of you so bring extra water because you will not be back to where you park for extended time.

Grass can be tall and lead to lost discs. Because this course is not played by public on a normal basis, if Caleb hasn't mowed it can be tall. The course has always been in great shape for tournament play.

If you haven't been here before it can be tough to navigate some places in between holes or even see the basket because there are no signs. (you would likely be playing with Caleb I am guessing so it wouldn't be an issue)
Other Thoughts: If you get a chance to play this course definitely do! It is a top notch design, and provides plenty of challenge. The designer is a great guy and has done a lot for Humboldt county disc golf.

Because this course is private my rating is going to be a little different than normal. I think that in terms of course potential, and actual design I would give it a 5. However because it lacks tees (pretty big deal) and signage (not as big a deal) I would have to deduct a point even though I don't want to in this case.

Biased Review by course designer.....

5+    1/14/2012   2/7/2012
Review By: Birds
Pros: Tons of awesome terrain, well utilized.
Big arm holes.
Shorter holes are not gimmes...dangerous shots that require skill.
Uphill, downhill, lefts rights, double dogleg. MOstly par 3 but 2 par 4 and "the par 5".....
Now all baskets: 1-13 DB-5's 14-27 Mach 2. Most baskets have xtra chains added...all should have xtra chains by summer 2012.
Water on hole 24 (believe humchris posted a pic of this hole).
Aside from small tweaks here and there the 27 hole layout is set. Most holes have alt pin or tee placements. Infinite 9 or 18 hole layouts possible with mix and match tee/pin capabilities. A true disc golf playground.
Cons: Tee boxes will (most likely) never be cement. My folks (and myself honestly) don't want to pour cement tees. Rubber mats are a possibility and may be in as early as summer 2012 if all goes well. Tee's are very nice regardless and never get muddy or rutty.
Hard to get on the course. Its on my folks property and I live an hour away. Its behind a locked gate. Basically I have to be available to go there with you, or there is one other person available on Wed. or Sun. Otherwise tournaments are your best bet. Bring your own doubles in March. BOP Matchplay Championship in August.
27 hole layout requires a lot of time...and energy to play. This course has a lot of elevation and requires a great deal of hiking. If you are a flatland only player this will test you. Hot in the summer. Some poison oak but it is very limited, only on certain holes and only find it with an errant shot.
Other Thoughts: I grew up on this property, and several years ago I moved back home. My wife and I lived in a teepee on the first hole. Roll out of bed, stretch...tee it up....that was the life! Now I live in Arcata, Ca.(about an hour north) but try and make it to Birds whenever I can.
My favorite times to play: Spring, when the grass is growing, the flowers are blooming, and the weather is warm but not hot yet. Fall, when the leaves are down and the trees are less dense, there is new grass growing up under the cut grass from summer, the air is crisp and the wind is down. I will play (and have) in just about any weather conditions though...howling winds, sideways rain, played in snow before...100+ degree heat, you name it. If you come out be prepared with food. Great mountain spring water is available. Tall grass and burrs when you get off of nicely mowed fairways so plan on wearing gaiters, boots with pants, or just sacrificing a pair of socks with a fresh set waiting in the car. There is also plenty of wildlife on the course, and different things can be spotted at different times of year (this is a very rural area). All sorts of mammals and birds (tons of birsd!) snakes etc..including rattlesnakes which have been spotted on at least two spots on the course, so keep your heads up. Also this land was inhabited by native peoples in a previous time. Any artifacts etc found on the land must remain there (thanks for understanding). That goes for deer antlers too, we put them on top of the baskets.
I am hoping to add another smaller 18 hole course on a different area of the property this spring (2012) so check back on that.
Free to play but suggested donation of $20 per car to the chain fund/maintenance fund (mason jar on hole 1). Also course ace jar ($1 entry) located on hole 1. Only 1 ace currently on the whole course on a tone pole before baskets were up. No basket aces ever recorded at BOP (on current holes...1 recorded on a hole that doesn't exist any more.....) as of 2/6/12....
Please respect the property owners (my parents) and do not show up at the gate without me or prior permission to be there....using your GPS and finding the driveway will NOT GET YOU ON THE COURSE!
Being courteous and lucky will....