Thompson, WI
3 / 230ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Fun Irish themed nine

1    9/8/2013   9/9/2013
Review By: wolfhaley
Pros: Chainstar baskets here that are all in great shape and catch well. There are large rocks at each tee pad with a shamrock painted on it with the hole layout, hole # and distances painted on them which was pretty cool. This is a pretty small park but they do a really awesome job with the course set up. They incorporate pretty much every admirable aspect of the property as far as disc golf goes. There's some solid elevation changes here especially around hole 3. The flow of the course is really easy to figure out. There aren't any long walks between holes and it ends fairly close to the beginning, not right by hole 1 but it's worth it with the course design here. Decent distances as well. Most are similar but not too many really short holes. Hole 1 is located across (north) from the town hall, easy to find. It would seem that there could be a water hazard next to hole 9 although it was dry when we went there. The course was very well mowed and maintained. They have concrete tees but they are Tiny.
Cons: The concrete tees are the main con here. These are the smallest tees I believe I have ever seen. They are maybe 3 or 4 feet long at best. It would be better if there were no tee pads and just gravel. The distances are all fairly short and similar.
Other Thoughts: I actually had a lot of fun playing here for a nine hole course. Like I said earlier the design was excellent for the available land. Nothing too flashy but I would be happy to have this near me. With that being said It's not worth a long trip out of your way but if in the area I'd recommend checking it out.

Nice 9 hole if you are in the area

1    10/21/2012   11/19/2012
Review By: Mocheez
Pros: -unique course with an Irish theme, Irish Pub across the street.
-baskets are in great shape
-park is very well maintained and seldom busy
-good use of the land
Cons: -somewhat short, nothing over 300 feet
-wish there were more holes
-concrete teepads are tiny
-holes 6,7,8 are wide open and mostly flat
Other Thoughts: Nice course for a quick 9-hole round. #3, 4, and 9 are probably the most fun. Water hazard to the right on #9, although, it was just a weedy hole in the ground with this summer's dry weather.

middle of nowhere skip the drive

5+    8/1/2012   8/1/2012
Review By: samura1234
Pros: -located in the back of a nicely taken care of park
-nice chainstar baskets if you like chainstar
-tee signs are real cool
-decent elevation changes
-bar acrossed the street
-for what it is the course is designed alright
Cons: 2 major drawbacks of this course are
-it is very short, mids, putter drives, thumbers and tomahawks will get the job done for a 2 on any hole
-they put in these dumb little 4' long concrete pads in that you cant really use if you have any kind of a runup for a drive. its like they put them there to just stand on and throw....
if it wasn't for these two things i probably would have rated it a 2
Other Thoughts: walks between holes are very short so it makes play seem go quicker than normal for a 9 hole

Great Free Course!

5+    11/17/2011   11/17/2011
Review By: geopoliticus
Pros: Local course close to my job.
Beautiful views of rolling hills and Holy Hill
Well kept, concrete tees, and baskets are in good shape.
Cons: I wish there were more than 9 holes.
First hole doesn't feel part of the course.
Short drives.
Other Thoughts: I rated this course "Very Good", mostly because I appreciate having this as a lunch time jaunt available to me. I think this is the best course around in this area at least. The addition on the concrete tees is a nice indication that the course isn't going anywhere.

Fun little course

1    9/30/2011   10/12/2011
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a nice little city park. A couple holes have some minor elevation changes that add some fun shots. Stands of small trees are in play on a few holes as well, making you shape some different lines and navigate a low ceiling. There is some variety in hole length while keeping the course reasonable for beginners, and you'll at least need to throw a couple left and right turning shots. The baskets are in nice shape, and the painted rock tee markers have the distance to the holes. All baskets are visible off the tee, so the lack of more detailed signage isn't a problem.
Cons: The tees are natural dirt pads that are rutted out and eroded. A couple have large rocks or roots sticking up to trip you up on the pad. The course is short overall and doesn't offer a whole lot of challenge. Many of the shots are just straight ahead without a whole lot of distance. There is a large sled hill, and a couple holes play next to it without using the potentially cool elevation it affords. Perhaps the park didn't allow the use of that feature, but it was a shame to not have a shot off the top. A few holes have long grass rough, which I'm not a big fan of. Beginners will find this especially frustrating when they throw an errant shot and have to search for their disc.
Other Thoughts: This is a nice little beginner course with reasonable lengths. Other than a few holes with some long grass, the rough is limited and not all that punitive. More experienced players won't find much challenge or variety here. I wouldn't go out of your way to play this one.

Fun 9-holer

1    10/10/2009   10/10/2009
Review By: puttlikeablowfly
Pros: * Most holes have trees in play, and many are still small / maturing, which means the challenge will increase as years go by.
* A little bit of elevation change on the first half of the course.
* The course is in good shape (other than tees) and appealing to the eye.
* Good course for beginners, with enough challenge for intermediates.
* The "tee sign" boulders are a nice touch. They even have arrows showing you the direction of the next tee.
* Holes are spread out well, so there is very little chance of interfering with anyone else.
Cons: * Very little variety in hole lengths (all are from 215' to 285').
* Depressed, dirt teepads would seem to get very muddy.
* In the mind of this lefty-backhand at least, course seems to favor righties ... more hazards on left side, and "fairways" tend to be right-to-left.
Other Thoughts: This seems like an appropriate course for my group today ... my kids, my wife, and my father-in-law. The others are all newbies, and it was windy and started to snow, but we all had fun. Advanced players probably won't get much challenge out of the course, but it's definitely worth a play if you are in the area. I'd rather play this course twice (heck, even just once) than play 18 at nearby Heritage Trails, even if that course was free.

If your in the area, give it a try.

1    10/5/2009   10/6/2009
Review By: noslit
Pros: Well laid out.
Good elevation changes.
Course well maintained except for tees.
Tees easy to find. Just look for the boulders.
Cons: Short.
Could be more wooded.
Other Thoughts: Good place to take girlfriend, wife or beginners. Offers fair challenge.

C- = a little below average for a 9 holer

1    5/7/2009   6/7/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == C-
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == C-
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == C
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == C
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A

Ahh my Irish Heritage!

5+    1/7/2012   3/21/2009
This review was updated on 1/7/2012
Pros: 1) Creative tee signs painted shamrocks on large boulders. Easy to find the boulders once you know to look for them.

2) Baskets are in nice shape. DGA are my favorite baskets.

3) Park is very well maintained and for the most part the disc golf course is away from most other activities so you don't have to worry about hitting people on a busy weekend in the summer.

4) Park has the town hall, baseball fields, soccer fields, a play area, and a picnic area. The town hall was packed with people watching the NCAA tourney today, but noone was outside hardly. What a shame!

4) Nice use of the natural hill on hole #2 and #3 and #4, although I would have set the tee on #3 further back and on top of the mound.

5) Water can come into play on #7 8 and 9, although it is really only trouble on #9. You can avoid it on #7 and #8 with a shot safely played well to the right of the basket.

6) Very beginner friendly, Not super long, and not super tight. A good place to take your girlfriend or wife for an enjoyable walk in the park.

7) While concrete is always my preferred teepad, these could be a little bit longer. There is not even enough room for a standing x step. I measured them and they are about 6' x4 4' Width is fine but length needs like 2-4' more to be ideal in my opinion. Concrete still is better than the gravel, but could be much better if they were bigger.
Cons: 1) Area surrounding the new concrete tees is still muddy and because the pads are elevated and too short you end up in the mud every time on the follow through . . most of the pads went where the existing gravel was except for #3 and #4 I think.

2) First time there it was very difficult to find the first tee. I didn;t remember the boulders were by the tees so I was looking for a post. I ended up finding #2 basket first but didnt know where the tee was so I started on #3 and finally found #1 after I played #9.

3) I can't really fault the course for being only 9 holes, but it won't make me come out there very often because it is so far away from me, but that doesn't really take away from the course!

4) I would really like to see these teepads extended with another section like the first . . .but if that isn't going to happen some soil/seed repair around them as well as leveling the turf to the same level as the concrete so you can always stand off the pad to start and ending on the end of the teepad.
Other Thoughts: This was a decent little course to play. I made a loop of 5 new courses (for me)starting in Grafton at Lime Kiln, Tendick Nature Park in Saukville, Villa Park in West Bend, then on to Woodlawn in Hartford and finally Erin go Bragh in Thompson. I would rank this one as #3 out of the 5.

EDIT: Darnit second time I played this course was the day before St. Patrick's Day. I should have planned better, but the Irish Bar across the street was setting up a tent and getting all prepared for the big Irish Day.

9 holes of a four leaf clover

1    11/23/2008   11/23/2008
Review By: tomjulio
This review was updated on 10/1/2009
Pros: -very cool tee signs. rocks with # and yardage on a painted three leaf clover
-new baskets
-nice little elevation changes
-friendly family park
-manicured course
-Irish pub right across the street
Cons: -dirt tee pads
-nine holes, of course
-out in the middle of nowhere
-on the short side
Other Thoughts: Such a cute little nine hole course in the middle of nowhere Wisconsin in an Irish town. Most of the park is actually this disc golf course, and a fairly fun time for a nine holer. The personal touch of huge rocks as tee markers gives this place a great vibe. Small elevation changes, and surprisingly a few technical holes.

This course sits on Highway 83, which if made into a day trip can include four or five other courses in the area, including a couple nine hole gems. Worth a peak and a play.