Channahon, IL
Community Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #2 (Taken 5/2012)
4 / 324ft.   4 / --   3 / 423ft.   3 / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #2 White Tee

< Prev 1 2 3
Fun, well maintained

2-4    4/15/2013   4/15/2013
Review By: Jashwa
Pros: I've only gotten the opportunity to play this course twice, but I really really like it!!! It is by no means an overly difficult one, but it is PERFECT for practicing hitting different lines and trying out new shots. It seemed like every hole was one that I thought I should get a two on (or at least that SOMEONE should get a two on!) but the course definitely will make sure you hit the right shot in order to do that.

The disc golf course at Community Park felt very isolated from the rest of the park, which had playgrounds, bike trails, and other fun stuff. I didn't have to worry about hitting other park users and I felt very much like I was going on a scenic nature hike.

In addition, the course seems to be very well maintained. There were man-made greens, STURDY bridges, perfect signs, and a few of the holes even had two sets of teepads. It is encouraging and inspiring to see so much visible effort in keeping the course in tiptop shape :)

Cons: Only a couple of these:

*The park is pretty much as flat as a pancake. Fortunately, the scant elevation here is utilized and there is even some man-made elevation that makes things a bit more interesting.

*Hole 4 (I think?) looked like it had a cool basket but the last time I was there it had a garbage bag over it and the ground around it was roped off. Instead, there was I guess a temporary hole that was planted like 200' in front of the teepad without any obstacles whatsoever... whats more it had a "6" on it so I didn't know if I should throw at it or if it was part of another hole! There should be mention of this strange setup on the sign, but I didn't see any :(

*I always make the argument that more challenge does not necessarily imply a better course, but perhaps a teeeensy-bit more challenge here could be useful... though I wouldn't want this to come at the expense of the "fun factor" that is all over this course! The long teepads attempt to address this issue, but they are not quite enough, and they are not present on every hole.
Other Thoughts: Overall, a great course and one you should go out of your way to check out.

Just As Good As I Had Heard

1    5/25/2012   5/26/2012
Review By: sthomas128
This review was updated on 7/7/2012
Pros: .
**I have heard phenomenal things about Channahon Community Park, I was not disappointed.
**VERY F-U-N course.
**Well balanced
**A MUST-Play if you're in the area
Cons: .
**I hear the bugs get bad. May 25, middle of the morning and we were OK except for a few Buffalo Gnats.
Other Thoughts: .
**When you see Frank Grimes out there working, and you probably will. Stop and give a big personal THANK YOU. He is the one who is constantly out there keeping the course up and making it look so good.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>THANKS FRANK :-)

aesthetically pleasing

2-4    5/5/2012   5/21/2012
Review By: BuzzArmStrong
Pros: Nice tee pads and baskets are in good condition - Course is well maintained - Good pin locations that require different types of shots - Easy to find your way around (good signs/baskets guide you to next hole) - Most of the fairways are relatively forgiving - Few shots that the pin has been built onto a small hill with a man made wall that drops off behind the basket which makes things a little more interesting - New basket location in the process of behind built that looks as thought it will be a good hole but also shows that course design isn't being neglected.
Cons: Course is extremely flat (though what little elevation there is is being utilized well).
Other Thoughts: Definitely a worthwhile course. A fun and relaxing place to play that can still keep you challenged.

Classic Course - Very Solid

5+    1/28/2012   1/28/2012
Review By: r2conman
Pros: - Aesthetically speaking, Community Park is one of the best courses around the area; it is beautifully landscaped, well maintained throughout the year.
- Every hole has concrete teepads made with small grooves to aid in drainage, and each hole has an alternate teepad which adds distance and variety.
- There are quality maps that are accurate on distance and the actual terrain, trees, water, etc., along with benches and garbage cans.
- Nice baskets in pretty good condition with tape on the basket to guide players to the next tee (the exception is on #6, which is a rusty, old Chainstar which should be replaced). Also, there is a practice basket in great condition.
- Good shot variety; need both the hyzer and anhyzer to hit the fairways. Some fairways are moderately to fairly tight so the lines can be demanding.
- Pretty good use of elevation. Yes, this land is flat but the designers intended to make use of as much elevation as they could either teeing off uphill or downhill (#3, #5, #6, #8). Playing the alternate tees will increase this a bit more.
- Good course flow - no overlapping of holes, the baskets are typically a short distance to the next tee box, and the course is easy to follow with walking paths. Lots of other activities on park grounds (ex. baseball fields, children's park) but definitely not an obstacle to the disc golfers.
Cons: - Length - for seasoned players Channahon is probably a little short on distance. Pretty much every hole is reachable with a good drive excepting holes #14 and #17. (for most beginning/novice players this course wouldn't seem short)
- Hazards - the main obstacle on this course is clearly the trees. There are several tree-lined fairways with some heavy rough on both sides including trees and shule. Water only comes into play on holes #2, #15, and #16
Other Thoughts: *trying to look at the courses objectively considering the most important criteria

50 of 61
Teepads - 5 of 5
Hazards - 3 of 5
Cleanliness - 2 of 2
Parking - 2 of 2
Other Amenities - 2 of 2 (washrooms, fountain)

Discing at it's finest

5+    1/18/2012   1/23/2012
Review By: gowiththeFLOW
Pros: -Well maintained course
-Challenging for both beginners and pros
-Awesome summertime course
Cons: -Not many bad things to say about this course, besides some teeboxs are a walk.
Other Thoughts: Great maintained course, a great course for playing in doubles or groups.

Great All Around Course

5+    9/10/2010   7/4/2011
Review By: Brent Renken
Pros: Great all around course for beginners and experts and it's very well maintained. A lot of the holes are set up for the long drive which is fun if you have an arm. The course is well groomed with an obvious path while maintaining the feel of a backwoods area. It has a variety of terrain as well to include trees, overgrowth and water hazards. There are a few elevation challenges as well although it's predominately flat.
Cons: Most of the challenges come staying away from one edge of the forest or out of the underbrush and the baskets are tucked slightly away in pockets. Not necessarily a bad thing but it does leave out some of the obstacle related challenges you find in other areas. There's not a lot not to like about this course.

I've lost many a frisbee in the overgrowth surrounding the fairway so beware (and keep an eye out for a free frisbee).
Other Thoughts: All in all, this is one of the best courses in the area. It's worth the trip and you'll be happy you played it.

Very Nice

1    5/15/2011   6/2/2011
Review By: Brick Forcepush
Pros: -Very Well Maintained
-Variety Of Shots
-Long and Far Shots
-Newer Baskets
-Not Many Water Hazards
Cons: -Hole #16 Was All Screwed Up
-Back 9 Is The Best
-They Need To Get A Better Way Of Walking Over The Creek
Other Thoughts: -BRING BUG REPELLENT

A very well maintained gem!

5+    1/17/2011   1/17/2011
Review By: surgeflx87
Pros: Where to start off with this one.
Ill start by saying this one one of the most immaculate and maintained courses ive played out around these parts. Frank does a great job of keeping this place up, and the tees are always even cleared in the winter thanks frank!
-Tees are some of the best ive seen with grooves that drain water for those rainy days and have plenty of length.Two sets of Concrete tees on most holes.
-Has a good variety of shots and well placed pins which which make you think well about drive and upsot placement.
-New tee signs are amazing and very professional looking that have great hole layout descriptions.
-Nice closed lid garbage cans at almost every hole.
-Long benches at almost every hole if youneed to take a breather.(Great for tourneys).
-A couple of creeks and murky bodies of water come into play on some holes.
-Great place to play in the winter and hosts the J-Town ice bowl.
-Pro tees really change up the course and add difficulty not just length to holes, some which are already difficult.
-Even on the more open holes there are some groups of trees that really make you hit your lines.
-Baskets are in pretty good condition and catch nicely. Theres also a practice basket next to the parking lot which is a plus.
-Course caters to both left and right handed players.
-Frank is always adding more trees and schrubs and more to the course which is just making it even more beautiful.
Cons: -Rough can get thick in summer but is usually well maintained like stated above.
-No really tight tunnel holes, but the variety of shots and fun factor for this course make up for it.
-Some parts can get flooded after it rains alot, especially in the spring.
-Only two holes that let you really air it out and one is still a pretty tight shot. Sometimes its refreshing to really be able to bomb one out there.
I really cant find much wrong with this course and even with the cons the pros here definatly out weigh them.
Other Thoughts: I wish this course was right by my house, I would play here everyday if I could. If you see frank on the course make sure to thank him for keeping this course in great shape and even play a round with him if you get the chance, hes a great guy to play with. I wouldnt pass this course up if your in the area and its well worth a drive. Come out and enjoy one of the nicest courses in the joliet area, you wont be let down!

My favorite in the area

5+    6/24/2010   6/24/2010
Review By: ArcheType
This review was updated on 10/28/2010
Pros: I don't even know where to begin with this course, it is just beautiful. The scenery here is astonishing, its such a pretty course. Frank Grimes has done a wonderful job keeping this place is beautiful shape. It was a little wet this time I went, but anyone from around here knows its stormed on and off for the last couple of weeks, so there's no way to hold that against the course. This course has a lot of variety in its holes, shallow curves left and right, and a few sharp ones too. I really love the use of the water on hole 2, great risk/reward for my group of players and I. The course also has phenomenally placed long tees on many holes, most of which are even fun for a novice player, like myself. I also absolutely love the elevated basket on hole 4, I'll try and get a picture of it next time I play through. The brickwork on the elevations on several holes is beautiful. By far the greatest course in the area in my opinion.
Cons: The only thing I can say as a possible con for this course is the holes aren't extremely long. The longest standard tee is just over 400 ft. I believe one of the long tees is about 530 ft. This may be a turn off for higher caliber players, but the technicality of the holes more than makes up for it to me.
Other Thoughts: If you're going to make a trip out here, I'd bring some bug spray, sunblock, and water. There aren't many holes with plentiful shade, and it can get hot. The humidity from all the recent rains played a bit into this, but you can never have too much water anyway.

Great Course

5+    5/29/2010   6/3/2010
Review By: fractalzoom
Pros: Let's get the basic stuff out of the way: immaculate. Great parking. Well maintained. Completely free of litter… all the stuff you expect from a top-rate dgc is here. The tees are concrete, grooved, and have a neat little triangle "pointing" to the basket that also serves as erosion control (you can see this from space on google maps - neat). There are no throwaway holes… each one has *something* going on. I played this course in the dead of winter and the tees were swept off. This is like showing up to work and having a fresh brewed cup of coffee waiting for me - just how I like it. Suffice to say, it's pretty welcoming.
Cons: It's not close enough to where I live. Really… I have to make stuff up to get upset about. Thick brush? I dunno.
Other Thoughts: Tl;dr
Last time I visited Channy was with my very young nephew. He's at that age where he asks a lot of stupid questions and wrongly thinks I'm a stud because I can throw the disc 4 times farther than he can. It was Sunday and the kid just got out of church. He was excited.
"This is so much better than going to church… it's so boring. "
"Yup, you're preachin' to the choir, here kid… Not only that, but this place is doesn't cost us any money. Ready to tee off?"
"Uncle Fractal - do you believe in god?"
….oh shit. Ugh.. I hate this stuff… really, he should save this conversation for when he's in a smoky college dorm or something.
"Tell you what… I believe in Frank."
"Frank?"
"Yeah. You see this course? How nice it is, how, even though there's lots of weird looking people about - everyone is nice to each other. The grass is cut, and later on you'll see flower beds and no trash."
"What's that got to do with God?"
*sigh*
"Let me ask you a question. Do you ever really wish for something… even pray for something?"
"You mean like when I prayed for a Nintendo DS?"
"Yeah… did you get it?"
"No… but I did get a Wii."
"Whatever, you wanted that DS. See.. now - I wanted a nice disc golf course that wasn't littered with garbage and had nice tees. Frank gave me - and a whole bunch of people that. And - I don't have to sit in church all day and give them money. I dare say that Frank is better than God."
"You talk a lot."
*sigh*
"I know.. I'll shut up if you throw."
We played a couple holes and then in between the 11th and 12th holes, we happened upon an older fellow who was hunched over in a flower bed. I asked the man if he was the legendary Frank who kept this course so nice, and he nodded that he was indeed the same. I shook his hand and gave him some encouragement and told him how much I appreciated his work. We walked on, and I turned and said to my nephew, "See? Frank's way better. You can see him, know that he's there, and shake his hand."
My nephew just rolled his eyes at me. We came upon hole 17 - which is an amazing left to right hole.. and very difficult for a rhbh player like myself.
"Where's the basket?" my nephew asked.
"Way behind those trees, far to the right. Tucked in like a drag queen."
"Like a what?"
"Nevermind."
I love holes like this. The kind where you throw it, and you can see where your disc went. It's like Christmas to see where your disc went. I got really excited when I found out that I had somehow parked it 20 feet from the basket.

< Prev 1 2 3