Channahon, IL
Community Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #6 (Taken 5/2012)
4 / 305ft.   4 / --   3 / 407ft.   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Well Done Course

2-4    7/30/2009   7/30/2009
Review By: 4_Of_Spades
This review was updated on 9/18/2012
Pros: Good cement tee pads, decent signs, pretty good baskets, well marked, and no difficulty finding next hole.

Maybe 1 or 2 other groups playing on whole course.

Has good mix of straight, left-right, right-left shots.

Has some very challenging holes that punish errant drives.

Clean and well maintained.
Cons: Some of the rough can be pretty thick and make finding a poor shot difficult.

Not many negative things to say. Course is well kept and provides a very rewarding 18 hole disc golf experience.
Other Thoughts: Course punishes bad throws and rewards good decisions and throw execution. Not so much beginner friendly. A good, challenging course in the area and I would recommend to intermediate and expert players.

Great Course!!!

1    7/18/2009   7/21/2009
Review By: IllinoisAceRunner90
Pros: What a beautiful course. It was my first time playing this course and man was i impressed. The tees are well marked and the course it super clean. Garbage cans at every hole! That's unheard of! Course wasn't to crowded and some great holes with different elevation changes. My cousin aced #4 the second time playing. Check it out!
Cons: None...
Other Thoughts: I lost a Star Leopard X-OUT on hole #2 in the creek in the nasty water right by the hole. If someone finds it let me know.

Great stuff!

2-4    7/11/2009   7/11/2009
Review By: sdecker
This review was updated on 7/15/2009
Pros: Very well maintained. Mowed fairways and two different stages of rough on many holes. Tee pads have an arrow in the runoff area that points to the pin - how cool is that? Trashcans and benches everywhere. Well maintained by people who obviously care about disc golf.

No 'nex-T' signs but the baskets have a red painted spoke pointing out the direction to the next tee pad.

Lots of 'extras' like landscaping in the waiting areas for each hole. Several holes have a distinct garden-like feel where you can just chill and appreciate the beauty of the course.

Gravel and chipped walkways in a lot of places add an extra touch of class as well.
Cons: Not really 'cons' per se but rather things that prevented me from rating this 5 discs:

1) Signage is older and showing wear on a lot of them. All still do the trick though.
2) There don't appear to be multiple pin placements which may make the course a bit less enjoyable over a bunch of rounds.
3) 'Old school' par-to-distance/difficulty ratio. You could easily chop 15 strokes off the sign par, or just play as a rather easy 'all par 3'.
4) Wind speed/directional flags or at least a painted band on the baskets for visibility would be nice.
5) There are a couple of water crossings that could benefit from a small bridge as opposed to narrow 10x10 landscaping timbers.
Other Thoughts: I created the hole distances and par using Google Earth and my memory. Any mistakes are mine but PDGA.com lists the distance as 4908 and my calculations were only 15 feet off in total. This course deserves more info as it is a real gem. We need a local to post a course map.

Absolutely awesome course. We played three rounds and were begging for more but ran out of time.

If you are in the Chicago area, you MUST take the hour long drive to go here. It's not the most difficult or technical course out there, but it is a real treat to play.

Tends to slightly favor RHFH or LHBH players as many of the doglegs are to the right off the tee. If you are a RHBH player, bring your anhyzer!

Lots of poison ivy off the fairways. I don't call this a con as it is just a seasonal thing related to when I shot the course. I suggest jeans and tennis shoes during the summer months if you are not accurate off the tees.

Bring bug spray for the wooded holes on the back 9. Again not a negative, just a function of playing around wet areas during the summer.

Stop thinking about it and just PLAY IT. Amazing course - the best one I've ever played. Not absolutely perfect but damn close.

B = Be very nice but also a Bit funky

1    7/7/2009   7/8/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up in my list of 18-hole courses:

1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == B- (There is not a lot of decision making required on this course. Most of the punishment for bad throws comes not to your score going up, but from the time it takes to find your disc in the heavy underbrush.....and inconvenience, not golf style punishment.)

2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == B- (The shorts are mostly too short to be rewarding to me. The longs are too long to yield many birdies for me, but short enough that par feels boring.)

3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == B+ (There is good variety although there seems to be an inordinate amount of holes finishing to the right - lefty/RHFH holes. A few holes are curved too extremely to be realistically reachable.)

4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == A- (You are off all by yourself in nature for a lot of the course - nice. Maintenance is superb! Flowers, plants and architectural features are a very nice touch! The course is located mainly in a lowland area, so the swampy areas just off many of the fairways takes away a little of the beauty.)

5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == C- (Only 1 or 2 long/multi-throw holes add anything but length. Most of the long holes make them hard/unbirdieable par 3's rather than legit par 4's.)

Bring two cans of OFF!

1    7/3/2009   7/5/2009
Review By: Tripod2
Pros: This course equally favors both sidearm and backhand throwers. There is quite a variety of holes; tight, open, tight, open. They alternate for quite some time.

Course had me cursing quite a bit. Baskets appear closer than they are from tee. Very good use of vegetation as obstacles.

Wish I had a tomahawk throw in my bag of tricks. The duo ahead of us successfully tomahawked a few holes for easy birdies.

Park is very well maintained. Garbage cans located at every tee sign and everyone uses them. Lawn well manicured and flowers nice touch.

Saw some saplings on hole 6 or 7 (?) that, when fully grown, would have eaten my errant drive.

Very easy to find next tee because of the cement arrow in the ground. Nice!
Cons: Bring TWO cans of OFF! The I & M Canal is right there. There is also a stream in play some of the holes, and a few ponds. I was practically eaten alive by those skeeters.

I hate water hazards; have lost scores of good discs in them. Even though hole 2 is a challenging hole, not too thrilled with the stream right next to basket.

Park is near I-55. You can hear traffic while playing. Found that odd as I'm accustomed to more serene, tucked away courses. Not bad, just odd & annoying.

Signs here are same ones used at Lippold in Crystal Lake. They're weatherworn and can stand replacement soon.
Other Thoughts: Stop here on way to/back from Mokena. There is a lot of discing to do in the greater Joilet area.

That was a crazy game of disc golf

1    5/20/2009   5/20/2009
Review By: davidwebb
Pros: Lots of fun and eats up at least 2 hours if you are with your buddies. Challenging for me (been playing seriously for about a week and 1/2) from the close tees. As other reviewers have said the elevation is impressive for IL (Knock Knolls is a better course for that but it is 9 holes and much shorter). When we were playing we saw a family of 8 deer with a fawn who let us observe them for a few minutes before taking off. I lost my wallet here and someone was nice enough to pick it up and contact me and I got it back the next day! Beautiful as well, poison ivy is scarce.
Cons: Careful of the water hazzards, I decided to be the one to ruin my shoes to get everyone's discs out the mud and calf deep water (I'm 6'1" if that's any help) I found 3 discs in the water as I was looking for my friend's (pretty nice ones too). If you don't shoot accurately you might want to lay up a lot because there are several holes that will plunk your disc is water that is more than knee deep if you over shoot (holes 15? I think...)
Other Thoughts: Overall this is a great course and definitely worth the 30 minute trip for me. This is one of the better courses in the area.

Community Park

2-4    5/11/2009   5/13/2009
Review By: Smoost4T
Pros: - Nice 18 hole course with water, wind, and woods hazards.
- Favors both Forehand and Backhand players.
- Pro and Am tees
- Nice Layout
- Part of the basket is painted red in the direction of the next tee
Cons: - Muddy
- Buggy
- Finding hole 13 was sort of difficult
Other Thoughts: Fun course, very enjoyable. Spotter might be useful.

Fun, challenging, a little risky

2-4    5/10/2009   5/12/2009
Review By: m1ke
Pros: Excellent course layout with lots of variety- holes range from mostly open to mostly wooded with varying tightness of fairways.
-Plenty of challenge but not too much for beginners.
-There's not a whole lot of elevation there to work with, but what little there is they made use of.
-Very well maintained, incl. some nice woodchip pathways between tees.
-Alternate tees for every hole.
-Hasn't been very busy on the two weekend afternoons I played.
-An absolute BREEZE to navigate for first-timers: in most cases the next tee is in sight from the last basket or there's only one path, but beyond that every basket has one prong painted red, which is the direction to the next tee (a concept I'd thought of myself before, and now that I have seen it in practice I wonder why every single course doesn't do this, as it's so low-cost and low-effort but high-impact on navigability). Plus that arrow-tee thing mentioned in Scapeity's review, while not really necessary most of the time, is a nice touch (and looks cool).
Cons: Challenge is what makes a course fun for me, and this course has it, but the risk if you fail can be high here. Going off the fairway can put you in swampy water, thick brush, or very tall grass depending on which hole you're on, and almost every hole has one of those. I've only played here twice, but I've lost 1 disc and have had 4 others that took 5+ minutes to find and/or retrieve.
-There is a bit of poison ivy in the brush off a handful of fairways, although it's pretty scattered so not too bad, really.
-The only water fountain in sight wasn't working when I tried it.
-Definitely on the flat side (see note below).
Other Thoughts: I would definitely recommend this course to pretty much anyone- I drive an hour to get there and consider it a trip well worth repeating.
I said the couse was a little flat, but that's very common in this area and not a reason to skip it at all- I think this is probably the best of the flatter courses I've played.

Local Favorite

5+    5/11/2009   5/11/2009
Review By: Scapeity
Pros: This course seriously makes you choose every shot for placement, forcing you to understand how every disk in your bag flies. Not only is there a swamp area that runs adjacent to many holes (or through them) but there is heavy brush and trees, water, and a very uncommon feature in illinois, hills and depressions that will make you lose sight of your disk on an errant throw.

The playing area itself and paths are well maintained, the out of bounds areas are well... out of bounds.

You can tell that they take a lot of time trying to improve the course with landscaping and planting of small trees and shrubs.

Also, there is a red fox that lives on hole 10... i watched it come out and sniff my disc i had just thrown then dart back into its hole.

A cool effect I havent seen anywhere else... from the tee off platform, there is a gravel shaped triangle in front of it, making the tee off platform into an arrow pointed at the basket. Also, on some of the more wooded path holes, the baskets have certain parts of them that are painted red, you follow the red painted section to the path that leads you to the next hole.
Cons: Many bugs, including the beast sized bees that swarm.

Depending on what time of the day you go, the clientele might make the course less then family friendly.
Other Thoughts: Honestly my favorite course, challenging yet not too out of reach for the beginner. You may want to wear shoes that you arent afraid to get muddy though, just in case you end up in swamp while looking for the disk that didnt do what you wanted it to.

The one u think about

5+    4/17/2009   4/18/2009
Review By: jdunk03
Pros: Wow is all i can say about how well this course is taken care of, trash cans almost every hole benchs drinking fountan on the course after hole 18. I like how this course has long and short tees. Great tee pads long concrete pads. Has a pratice basket in front of course great pratice for wind putts
Cons: Hole one basket really bad. a few signs are old baskets in different place.
Other Thoughts: Great place to take a trip to! During the summer bring bug spray.