0 Helpful / 4 Not
Pros: Loved the elevated baskets. Nice short course. well taken care of.
Cons: If you like to really air out your shots, this is not the course for you. Did see a 3ft garter snake on hole 13. I personally don't like the baskets at this course. This is just a personal thing though.
Other Thoughts: Great course overall nice flow but very short.
0 of 4 people found this review helpful.
Courses like this are how we grow the game
4 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: Fun and interesting course plays through a section of a quiet community park that's relatively isolated from other park activities. Starts and ends in a large in a clearing off of the woods, giving you a chance to warm up before venturing into the woods for some shot shaping.
• Disc Play: Well balanced variety with a nice selection of semi-open and moderately to fairly well wooded holes of various shapes and lengths; annies, hyzers, straight, some suitable for spike hyzers.
+ Mosty flat, but makes the most of the available topography with a few holes presenting mild but significant elevation changes from tee to pin. Several baskets near drop-offs plus an elevated basket create some risk/reward opportunities.
+ Distances are a bit on the short side (even from the longs tees), with most fairways rewarding placement more than distance. While there aren't any monster length "grip'n' rip" holes, there are a few where players who throw 350-400 ft with accuracy can set up birdie opportunities that noodle arms will never get to see.
+ The rough gets thick in spots, punishing fairly for leaving the fairway, but even the more challenging fairways are quite executable.
• Aesthetics: Pleasant park setting is very clean and easy on the eyes. Landscaping stones prevent soil erosion around many of the roll-away greens give the course a cleaner, more cared for look. Course is well maintained and it shows.
• Equipment: Spacious, raked concrete tees are grippy and have an arrow in front of them indicating the direction of play. Tee signs show hole layout, #, and distance and relative positions for both tees (where applicable), but only present at the short tee (IIRC). Baskets are old DGA's, but still in good shape and catch well.
• Navigation: Between painted spokes on the baskets (white points to shorts, blue points to long), well -worn paths, and tee signs, you won't find too many courses that are easier to get around. You can print the map, but we didn't need it.
• Memorable holes: Starts with a fun open shot over a marsh where you have to avoid a menacing tree if you hope to card a deuce. Love the pin treatment on #2.
Cons: Way more right than there is wrong:
• Poison Ivy (specifically in the rough on the left side of #7).
• Plenty of low lying spots that retain water - I wouldn't recommend playing here the day after it rains.
• Longs should provide more challenge for better players.
Other Thoughts: Channy's a really fun course that's well cared for. Nothing here will knock your socks off, but if you appreciate a course that's well conceived, executed and maintained, you'll really enjoy playing here.
Particularly well suited to Novice, Rec, and Intermediate players, I don't think there's quite enough to challenge Advanced players. Not to say better players won't have fun here, but IMHO, that makes it better for casual rounds than tournament play.
I particularly like what they did with the pins on holes 2, 4, and 14. Joliet seems to have some of the best courses in Chicagoland, and this is definitely worth a visit if you're in the vicinity.
4 of 4 people found this review helpful.
1 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: - Beautiful course with great upkeep
- Many fun holes requiring a variety of shots
- Good equipment throughout, from teepads and baskets, to the signage and benches
- Good flow and pace throughout
Cons: - The course is mostly flat and offers very little challenge through elevation
- Can flood after significant rain and get quite muddy/soggy after more moderate showers
Other Thoughts: I went back and forth between giving this course a 3.5 or 4.0 disc rating. The lack of elevation, and general lack of challenge during many parts of this course due to wider fairways was making me lean towards the lower score. However, what this course lacks in general challenge, it more than makes up for by being incredibly fun to play.
The course is not overly punishing, and most of the fairways are narrow enough to force you to hit a line, but wide enough to be somewhat forgiving of less than perfect shots.
The cut stones built up around holes 11 and 12 make for interesting greens, and are one of several instances of the course making the most out of the limited elevation.
While in general navigation on this course is straightforward, if you are not paying attention to the marked stripes on the baskets indicating the direction to the next hole, there are a couple of chances to get turned around, like going from 12 to 13.
While you should not expect a terribly challenging round of golf at Channahon, even from the long tees, I guarantee you will have a fun round at an excellently manicured park.
1 of 1 people found this review helpful.
5 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: Aesthetic-- multi use park set in the "burbs" of chicago (kind of a burb of joliet actually), the disc golf areas are almost disc golf exclusive. plays along some back yard fences in the back but never really in play.
Tees- oh. my. god. the tees here are awesome. dual tees with "siped" surfaces to ensure good grip even when wet. short tees have signage, long tees do not (unless same as short tees)
Baskets- old but in good repair. no issues identified when I was there.
Upkeep- Immaculate. the landscaping through this course is impressive to say the least. many retaining walls, "garden-like" areas, and thoroughly maintained pathways through the low areas.
variety/risk v reward- there is a little of everything here. left, right, short, long, a great variety. pin placement here is great in some places and meh in others. some of the man made elevated tees are placed with significant rollaway potential.
Signage-- beautiful signs here. not sure if all of the distances are accurate however. some holes feel significanly shorter than listed.
Routing and Nav-- so so easy. follow the painted tines and the immaculte pathways and you surely won't get lost!!
Cons: Wet- I get that this is an uncontrollable but the course was super wet when I was there and a lot of the lower areas were flooded (minimally).
Challenge- I will agree with the previous reviewer there are a lot of holes here that you feel like should be "twoable" there aren't any holes you look at and just say "holy shit, what am I going to do here?"
Other Thoughts: ol grimey does good work! :)
I think I saw him today, had an ice bowl hoodie on and was ridin' around on a gator
5 of 5 people found this review helpful.
Fun, well maintained
4 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: I've only gotten the opportunity to play this course twice, but I really really like it!!! It is by no means an overly difficult one, but it is PERFECT for practicing hitting different lines and trying out new shots. It seemed like every hole was one that I thought I should get a two on (or at least that SOMEONE should get a two on!) but the course definitely will make sure you hit the right shot in order to do that.
The disc golf course at Community Park felt very isolated from the rest of the park, which had playgrounds, bike trails, and other fun stuff. I didn't have to worry about hitting other park users and I felt very much like I was going on a scenic nature hike.
In addition, the course seems to be very well maintained. There were man-made greens, STURDY bridges, perfect signs, and a few of the holes even had two sets of teepads. It is encouraging and inspiring to see so much visible effort in keeping the course in tiptop shape :)
Cons: Only a couple of these:
*The park is pretty much as flat as a pancake. Fortunately, the scant elevation here is utilized and there is even some man-made elevation that makes things a bit more interesting.
*Hole 4 (I think?) looked like it had a cool basket but the last time I was there it had a garbage bag over it and the ground around it was roped off. Instead, there was I guess a temporary hole that was planted like 200' in front of the teepad without any obstacles whatsoever... whats more it had a "6" on it so I didn't know if I should throw at it or if it was part of another hole! There should be mention of this strange setup on the sign, but I didn't see any :(
*I always make the argument that more challenge does not necessarily imply a better course, but perhaps a teeeensy-bit more challenge here could be useful... though I wouldn't want this to come at the expense of the "fun factor" that is all over this course! The long teepads attempt to address this issue, but they are not quite enough, and they are not present on every hole.
Other Thoughts: Overall, a great course and one you should go out of your way to check out.
4 of 4 people found this review helpful.
Good Job Frank
Pros: This course is very well maintained. It has 2 sets of tee pads and good signage. There is decent distance variation and a good mix of different lines required to score well such as straight shots, hyzers, anhyzers, large turning shots, big hyzers, and long turnovers. There are a few cool and unique greens such as 2,11, and 12. This is a fun course and good for beginners and up and coming amateurs.
Cons: This course is on the shorter side. The baskets are not the best although that is not a big deal for me. The fairways are pretty generous and there is not many tight gaps to hit. This course is fairly flat and can flood with a lot of rainfall. On many of the holes there is a "cheater" big hyzer line that I would prefer not be accessible.
Other Thoughts: Frank Grimes has put a lot of time into this course and it shows. If you see him while your there please show your appreciation for all his hard work.
1 Helpful / 1 Not
Just As Good As I Had Heard
**I have heard phenomenal things about Channahon Community Park, I was not disappointed.
**VERY F-U-N course.
**A MUST-Play if you're in the area
**I hear the bugs get bad. May 25, middle of the morning and we were OK except for a few Buffalo Gnats.
Other Thoughts: .
**When you see Frank Grimes out there working, and you probably will. Stop and give a big personal THANK YOU. He is the one who is constantly out there keeping the course up and making it look so good.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>THANKS FRANK :-)
1 of 2 people found this review helpful.
0 Helpful / 2 Not
Pros: Nice tee pads and baskets are in good condition - Course is well maintained - Good pin locations that require different types of shots - Easy to find your way around (good signs/baskets guide you to next hole) - Most of the fairways are relatively forgiving - Few shots that the pin has been built onto a small hill with a man made wall that drops off behind the basket which makes things a little more interesting - New basket location in the process of behind built that looks as thought it will be a good hole but also shows that course design isn't being neglected.
Cons: Course is extremely flat (though what little elevation there is is being utilized well).
Other Thoughts: Definitely a worthwhile course. A fun and relaxing place to play that can still keep you challenged.
0 of 2 people found this review helpful.
0 Helpful / 2 Not
Pros: Beautiful Layout, long holes lightly wooded front 9 , largly wooded back 9. This is a big course and it is suited for all types of players. I see deer on the course all the time.
Cons: Saturday early afternoons the park is packed with baseball, soccer, track and it the fall the cource is a cross country track so go after 2.The wind can be a problem, Hole 2, 14 and 15 have deep nasty creeks next to them. Hole 15 has a sink hole just past the pin that is 4 feet deep and filled with standing water.
0 of 2 people found this review helpful.
6 Helpful / 0 Not
Classic Course - Very Solid
Pros: - Aesthetically speaking, Community Park is one of the best courses around the area; it is beautifully landscaped, well maintained throughout the year.
- Every hole has concrete teepads made with small grooves to aid in drainage, and each hole has an alternate teepad which adds distance and variety.
- There are quality maps that are accurate on distance and the actual terrain, trees, water, etc., along with benches and garbage cans.
- Nice baskets in pretty good condition with tape on the basket to guide players to the next tee (the exception is on #6, which is a rusty, old Chainstar which should be replaced). Also, there is a practice basket in great condition.
- Good shot variety; need both the hyzer and anhyzer to hit the fairways. Some fairways are moderately to fairly tight so the lines can be demanding.
- Pretty good use of elevation. Yes, this land is flat but the designers intended to make use of as much elevation as they could either teeing off uphill or downhill (#3, #5, #6, #8). Playing the alternate tees will increase this a bit more.
- Good course flow - no overlapping of holes, the baskets are typically a short distance to the next tee box, and the course is easy to follow with walking paths. Lots of other activities on park grounds (ex. baseball fields, children's park) but definitely not an obstacle to the disc golfers.
Cons: - Length - for seasoned players Channahon is probably a little short on distance. Pretty much every hole is reachable with a good drive excepting holes #14 and #17. (for most beginning/novice players this course wouldn't seem short)
- Hazards - the main obstacle on this course is clearly the trees. There are several tree-lined fairways with some heavy rough on both sides including trees and shule. Water only comes into play on holes #2, #15, and #16
Other Thoughts: *trying to look at the courses objectively considering the most important criteria
50 of 61
Difficulty - 7 of 10
Shot Variety - 7.5 of 10
Length - 4 of 5
Maps/Signage - 5 of 5
Course Flow - 4.5 of 5
Use of Park for Disc Golf - 4 of 5
Baskets - 4 of 5
Teepads - 5 of 5
Hazards - 3 of 5
Cleanliness - 2 of 2
Parking - 2 of 2
Other Amenities - 2 of 2 (washrooms, fountain)
6 of 6 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.