Channahon, IL
Community Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #7 (Taken 5/2012)

Community Park

1    8/15/2010   8/16/2010
Review By: ElementZ
This review was updated on 9/9/2010
Pros: This course is isolated and serves solely for disc golf, which is super nice. I saw a deer and it's child here and we approached it and came within 20 or so feet before they jumped away. It was really quite a treat.
The holes are, for the most part, all very birdiable.
The elevated tees look pretty cool and are fun to play.
The course is nicely manicured and looked very good overall. It's VERY easy to navigate and the first hole is easy to find.
Cons: I played this course at 8 in the morning during the last week of summer, and the mosquitos and bugs were TERRIBLE. I've never been biten by so many mosquitos in my life. If these go away and I get a chance to play it again, I'll increase my rating, but the mosquitos just made it a living nightmare.

Other Thoughts: My friend told me that this was the best course in the Joliet area, but after playing just two, I already disagree. West Park is a lot more fun, at least IMO. It offered a lot more variety of terrain and shots. :)
Please feel free to message me for more details.

Intermediate/Expert

1    7/3/2010   7/3/2010
Review By: notapro
Pros: - Course is mostly in a forested area that has significant shrubbery in addition to the various trees. Most fairways are grass or woodchips, with few obstacles in the way. The challenge is more to keep from straying too far off the mowed area. More trees and low canopies near the basket.
- Some slight elevation changes, but nothing too radical. The most significant changes were raised baskets, or baskets located right next to a drop off.
- Water is in play on a few holes, and in some parts can get pretty deep and stagnant. I could see an errant shot ending up in a bad place here and there.
- Lots of different shots needed throughout the entire course, from hard left to hard right. Full of tight fairways with doglegs either way, as well as some dead straight ones. I liked how the forested area had tight, but clear, fairways, and the open holes had matures trees to avoid. Some holes force a line, while others make you find one.
- Great benches, teepads, signage, and decent baskets. Brilliant idea to paint one wire of the basket red to point to the next tee. Alternate tees on many holes were easy to find and also concrete.
- Lots of garbage cans, I saw virtually no garbage anywhere on the course.
Cons: - Some of the holes can get a little repetitive, lots of straight/right shots in the forest with minimal obstacles. It is still tough to get the right line with the right power, but they are very similar.
- A lot of the course is on flat land, which also makes the holes blend together. Not much to differentiate one from the other.
Other Thoughts: - Very solid course, makes great use of the available area. I played the whites the first time through, but checked out the reds as well. Definitely will return to play them some day, without a doubt.

My favorite in the area

5+    6/24/2010   6/24/2010
Review By: ArcheType
This review was updated on 10/28/2010
Pros: I don't even know where to begin with this course, it is just beautiful. The scenery here is astonishing, its such a pretty course. Frank Grimes has done a wonderful job keeping this place is beautiful shape. It was a little wet this time I went, but anyone from around here knows its stormed on and off for the last couple of weeks, so there's no way to hold that against the course. This course has a lot of variety in its holes, shallow curves left and right, and a few sharp ones too. I really love the use of the water on hole 2, great risk/reward for my group of players and I. The course also has phenomenally placed long tees on many holes, most of which are even fun for a novice player, like myself. I also absolutely love the elevated basket on hole 4, I'll try and get a picture of it next time I play through. The brickwork on the elevations on several holes is beautiful. By far the greatest course in the area in my opinion.
Cons: The only thing I can say as a possible con for this course is the holes aren't extremely long. The longest standard tee is just over 400 ft. I believe one of the long tees is about 530 ft. This may be a turn off for higher caliber players, but the technicality of the holes more than makes up for it to me.
Other Thoughts: If you're going to make a trip out here, I'd bring some bug spray, sunblock, and water. There aren't many holes with plentiful shade, and it can get hot. The humidity from all the recent rains played a bit into this, but you can never have too much water anyway.

Great Course

5+    5/29/2010   6/3/2010
Review By: fractalzoom
Pros: Let's get the basic stuff out of the way: immaculate. Great parking. Well maintained. Completely free of litter... all the stuff you expect from a top-rate dgc is here. The tees are concrete, grooved, and have a neat little triangle "pointing" to the basket that also serves as erosion control (you can see this from space on google maps - neat). There are no throwaway holes... each one has *something* going on. I played this course in the dead of winter and the tees were swept off. This is like showing up to work and having a fresh brewed cup of coffee waiting for me - just how I like it. Suffice to say, it's pretty welcoming.
Cons: It's not close enough to where I live. Really... I have to make stuff up to get upset about. Thick brush? I dunno.
Other Thoughts: Tl;dr
Last time I visited Channy was with my very young nephew. He's at that age where he asks a lot of stupid questions and wrongly thinks I'm a stud because I can throw the disc 4 times farther than he can. It was Sunday and the kid just got out of church. He was excited.
"This is so much better than going to church... it's so boring. "
"Yup, you're preachin' to the choir, here kid... Not only that, but this place is doesn't cost us any money. Ready to tee off?"
"Uncle Fractal - do you believe in god?"
....oh shit. Ugh.. I hate this stuff... really, he should save this conversation for when he's in a smoky college dorm or something.
"Tell you what... I believe in Frank."
"Frank?"
"Yeah. You see this course? How nice it is, how, even though there's lots of weird looking people about - everyone is nice to each other. The grass is cut, and later on you'll see flower beds and no trash."
"What's that got to do with God?"
*sigh*
"Let me ask you a question. Do you ever really wish for something... even pray for something?"
"You mean like when I prayed for a Nintendo DS?"
"Yeah... did you get it?"
"No... but I did get a Wii."
"Whatever, you wanted that DS. See.. now - I wanted a nice disc golf course that wasn't littered with garbage and had nice tees. Frank gave me - and a whole bunch of people that. And - I don't have to sit in church all day and give them money. I dare say that Frank is better than God."
"You talk a lot."
*sigh*
"I know.. I'll shut up if you throw."
We played a couple holes and then in between the 11th and 12th holes, we happened upon an older fellow who was hunched over in a flower bed. I asked the man if he was the legendary Frank who kept this course so nice, and he nodded that he was indeed the same. I shook his hand and gave him some encouragement and told him how much I appreciated his work. We walked on, and I turned and said to my nephew, "See? Frank's way better. You can see him, know that he's there, and shake his hand."
My nephew just rolled his eyes at me. We came upon hole 17 - which is an amazing left to right hole.. and very difficult for a rhbh player like myself.
"Where's the basket?" my nephew asked.
"Way behind those trees, far to the right. Tucked in like a drag queen."
"Like a what?"
"Nevermind."
I love holes like this. The kind where you throw it, and you can see where your disc went. It's like Christmas to see where your disc went. I got really excited when I found out that I had somehow parked it 20 feet from the basket.

5+    4/14/2010   4/14/2010
Review By: Disc Golf Greg
This review was updated on 8/14/2012
Pros: -Parking wasn't an issue
-Nice concrete tees that are long enough to work with
-At the end of the tee is a gravel arrow that's purpose is to point to the basket and help with erosion control
- Many holes have pro tees
- One basket was elevated which was a nice touch
- 18 holes
- Not too crowded/flows nicely
- Course is taken care of nicely with no signs of litter. Most teepads have shrubs on the side and it really is a nice touch
- Plenty of risk/reward throws
- Nice shot variety
- In a multi-use park but tucked away from other activities
- Part of the basket is painted marking the way to the next hole
- Practice basket
- One of the firsts holes baskets is tucked near a creek and is a nice touch, also if the Disc lands in it you can dig it out with a stick no problem
- Many places to sit throughout the course
- Very friendly and helpful course locals
Cons: - Has a tendency to flood after big storms
- Baskets are starting to show their age. Some are bent and the metal is beginning to degrade
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed this course. Frank maintains it, and does plenty of work and it sure does show. I live about 40-45 minutes away and drive out here whenever I can get the chance!

One of my favorite courses around Chicago, the only other course I enjoy almost as much as this one is West Park in Joliet.

One last thing; out of all the courses I've reviewed, this one has the least amount of cons that I can think of. Well worth a long car ride.

There is poison ivy throughout the course, so be careful!

best Western suburbs has to offer

5+    3/4/2010   3/19/2010
Review By: fox metro discer
Pros: Very well groomed course. Frank Grimes has put in much time at this course and it shows. From the elevated basket on #4, to the teepads that point you in the direction of the basket, to the plants throughout the course, his work shows.
With 2 sets of tees, this course has a lot to offer both the beginner as well as the seasoned player. Elevated baskets, some elevation changes (what little there is in the Chicagoland area), and well defined fairways make for an enjoyable round for all.
A good variation of shots are required as well. From straight shots, hyzers as well as a few short turnovers.
A few memorable holes:
2) with the basket over the creek, this hole now becomes a risk/ reward shot rather than a toss and putt for the deuce.
4) the elevated basket puts more difficulty on the putt.
9) The addition of the pole on the left side keeps the fairway tight all the way down to the basket. The schule on the right is THICK!
11) I like that there are multiple ways to the basket on this one with the possibilty of danger any way you go. makes for interesting shot selection off the tee.
14) Longest hole on the course when put in the long pin postition. The slightly raised green makes for a good looking hole with the finished retaining wall and the basket tucked in the rear corner.
15) after a long hole up comes a nice straight technical shot that has water if you go long.
Cons: The course floods a few places when there is heavy rain.
the baskets are a bit older and don't catch as well as the modern baskets. However, they are much better than what they were 2 years ago.
Other Thoughts: A few other minor perks at the course:
A good place to see wildlife if you go in the morning or evening.
All baskets have a rod that is painted red which is in the direction of the next tee.
Course is in a multi use park, but course is away from any other activity meaning there are no non-players on the course.
Is 3 minutes off of the interstate.

deserving of top ten in state

2-4    2/5/2010   3/4/2010
Review By: tallpaul
Pros: Tees are long a grooved; with perfect crusher run aprons off the front. These tees are best in production at the moment....barring the advent of very wide tees.

Two set of tees. Both cleared of snow....we played six courses in Joliet in Feb., and all tees were cleared and, where applicable, marked with orange flags; for easy spotting. Kudos to all of those responsible.

Little planted areas; even in the winter, it was obvious these are nice... I could not, of course, tell what the plantings were. Looking forward to seeing everything in bloom at a later date. How many realize what it takes to keep even a little garden weeded and tended?
Directional, red painted, spoke on basket as next tee markers. Another brilliant little touch.
Interesting pin/roll-a-way pins. #4 has an elevated pin; with a concrete/wooden base that is creative.
Paver stone walled, terrace greens in a few spots. (Same style as Token Creek, in Madison, WI, for those that have been there.) These offer nice visuals as well as interesting height looks/putts; at the bucket.
Good use of what elevation there is.
Cons: Course on the short side to be in the top five in the state. Holes are simply not as challenging as a few others; but, this is obviously extreme nitpicking. There are 130+ courses in Illinois; and IMHO, with nearly 100 played; this does belong in the top ten!
Another nit pick; that just goes to show you can't win in the area of perfect tees; the grooves were ice filled and therefore, a bit dangerous.
Other Thoughts: I had played this course in the early 90s (maybe even late 80s)...long time ago!!! Had heard I needed to get back and see the modern amenities. I will be excited to get back here when things are in bloom.
I put that this course is a bit short in my cons section. But, when I play this one in bloom; some time in 2010, I fully expect to be thrilled as a blue level player. Some holes that can and should, be reached for bird; but a lot of challenge for my skill level. In pics; rough looks brutal and challenging.

Chantastic

5+    1/9/2010   1/8/2010
Review By: #19325
This review was updated on 1/10/2010
Pros: See other thoughts for image gallery.

This ranks as my #1 most well kept course in Illinois. It's not even close. Frank Grimes puts in blood, sweat, and tears along with lots of his own money. If you had played this course 5 years ago you would be amazed with the progress. The landscaping and other work is specific for the course. Each year there is some type of improvment.

Nice cement tee pads for all tees. In front of the tee pad is a limestone traingle for erosion control. The tee pad plus the triangle in front makes a nice arrow pointing in the direction of the basket.

All of the old baskets were replaced a few years ago with new baskets.

Tee signs are adequate and it's not too hard to navigate.

With multiple tees on many holes there is a large variety of shots. There is some heavy rough in areas on this course which I like. It adds to the challenge.

Hole #4 has a sweet man made elevated green that is very difficult to putt on.

Hole #14 is one of the tougher par 4's and has a nice built up putting surface. A cement block retaining wall surrounds it.
Cons: The land is very flat. If this course had some of the terrain many of the top courses had there is no doubt I would rate it 5 star.

This course is on the shorter side and really has only 2 legit par 4's from the long tees. Like stated in other reviews it's a fantastic par 54 course. With more challenge i'd rate it higher.
Other Thoughts: Image gallery.

Check out my Illinois Top 10 courses.

After heavy rains there may be a few swampy areas. In the warmer monthes bring some bug spary as the skeeters can get bad.

This is one of the better courses in the Chicagoland Area. If you are travleing on I55 to or from Chicago this is a must play. It's only a few minutes off I55.

Simply Beautiful

5+    9/17/2009   9/18/2009
Review By: WindyCityROCer
Pros: to paraphrase another reviewer (ie steal/quote) par 3 dg at it's finest...

located at the end of a multi use park, this course is simply great... maybe at one point does the rest of the park come into existance (hole 18) other than that it's dg at it's finest...

A labor of love from Frank Grimes and the Joliet crew from first tee to last basket...

The first 2 holes play fairly open, nice mowed fairways, and "high grass" areas (which actually seem mowed/controlled to previous years). The rest of the front 9 plays through a beautiful wooded area (say East side)(large variety of plantlife, great colors, fall is breathtaking) with varying choke points to keep shots in check. Front 9 ends with a fairly long hole, thick schule down the right side the entire time, basket about 10ft from trees... always feels good to 3 it.

The back 9 starts off with 3 fairly open holes.... leading to a long walk to 13, a rather long (for this course) L>R shot to a pretty green protected by 2 old growth trees. #14 (and 15,16) present the most interesting stretch of the course... 14 could ALMOST be a par 4... it got redesigned last year (08) and the basket is now up on the rock ledge area (that always begged for a basket, Frank just felt EVIL and put it all the way to the right)... for a rec/am player this is THE TOUGHEST upshot on the course, as you need a L>R/overhand shot to the basket, you could beeline a mid, but turn it over and you're in blind, deep schule. Hole 15 "Grimes Grove" is once again a beautiful hole, tight fairway, basket tucked to the left on a grass knoll... (plays E>W, on an afternoon/evening round sun is in your face, adding more light to a beautiful hole). Hole 16... make it or break it... basically a 90 degree + dogleg left, with a hyzer route over the trees.... it's not that hard, there's just infinite ways to screw it up...

Hole 17 and 18 play back into the "regular park." Hole 17, is well, quite frankly, a horseshoe to the right, heavy woods/shule line the path... I hope you have a good L>R shot! (Ironically, the back tee has a better line on this hole) The course ends with an open tee into the woods, a simple roc will do with a touch of anny, just don't hyzer out to the pavillion and look like a noob.

EXCELLENT concrete pads on ALL holes. Over half have an alternate/back tee adding a bit of distance, and a much different look to the hole. Garbage cans are everywhere on this beautiful course... please help keep it that way. Signage is showing it's age, a few of the distances SEEM sketchy... All trails to next tee/throughout course are immaculate wood chips, usually with a few rocks on the side to guide you... If the course is crowded, grab a bench, and check out the wildflower areas by the tees, and the paths to them..
Cons: uhm........
the practice basket is very rusty, and hates me...
the mach whatevers could use some glow paint or something, spotting is good...
there are a few holes that could be legit par 4's... IMHO I think the extra 75ft/harder line are there...
Not a lot of elevation, if you really NEED it.
I'm really nitpicking...
Other Thoughts: yes, I realize I have overused the words: beautiful, gorgeous, pretty, stunning...

The attention to detail is astounding, the things you don't really notice until your second or third time around...Wildflower "gardens" by tee/paths... just add to the experience. It's a labor of love, obvious from the first hole on, and I cannot commend the people responsible for it enough. Is it the greatest piece of land ever, no. Has the land been used to it's best potential for disc golf, yes. I always leave this course wanting to play another round..

Really, it's probably a 4.0 course, but the labor of love gives it an automatic +.5

1    9/9/2009   9/15/2009
Review By: sobkwk
Pros: Fun course that is very well maintained. Easy to find the holes. Also had benches on most of the holes, if not all of them.
Cons: There were quite a few insects so I would recommend some bug spray.
Other Thoughts: Would play the course again.