Channahon, IL
Community Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #5 (Taken 5/2012)

Classic course! Keeps on getting better!

5+    8/20/2008   8/20/2009
Review By: Michler
Pros: This is par 54 golf at its finest. Really nice park with fantastic tees and baskets. Great bridges and landscaping specifically for the disc golf course in certain places. Its a deuce course, but you have to make some shots out here to card your birdies. There is trouble with heavy rough in some places that yield alot of bogeys. Just a fun course in a nice park.
Cons: Its a shorter course so you're not working the distance part of your game much here. Maybe a bit too righty hyzer friendly, but not so much that its not fun for all.
Other Thoughts: One of the best courses in the Chicagoland area!

COMMUNITY PARK

1    8/10/2009   8/12/2009
Review By: TSchneidz2
Pros: Very well maintained and very clever tees as they have an arrow pointing toward the basket. Some holes have one of the basket wires painted red to lead you in the direction of the next tee.
Cons: Some holes are very close to each other which can be confusing as to where the next hole begins.
Other Thoughts: Great course and absolutely worth the trip to the area as there are a handful of other courses in the area.

solid course

2-4    7/26/2009   8/5/2009
Review By: skinner21
This review was updated on 9/26/2010
Pros: -very well maintained
-clever cement tees in the shape of an arrow pointing to target
-fairly open with good risk/reward because of think brush
Cons: -some holes can be confusing where to go next
-some holes run together
Other Thoughts: overall a very good course and worth the trip, especially with all the other courses in the area. It makes for a nice day of multiple courses.

Has 2 parking lots with one of them a long way off from the first hole so make sure to use the east lot (the larger one by the tennis courts)

Well Done Course

2-4    7/30/2009   7/30/2009
Review By: 4_Of_Spades
This review was updated on 9/18/2012
Pros: Good cement tee pads, decent signs, pretty good baskets, well marked, and no difficulty finding next hole.

Maybe 1 or 2 other groups playing on whole course.

Has good mix of straight, left-right, right-left shots.

Has some very challenging holes that punish errant drives.

Clean and well maintained.
Cons: Some of the rough can be pretty thick and make finding a poor shot difficult.

Not many negative things to say. Course is well kept and provides a very rewarding 18 hole disc golf experience.
Other Thoughts: Course punishes bad throws and rewards good decisions and throw execution. Not so much beginner friendly. A good, challenging course in the area and I would recommend to intermediate and expert players.

Great Course!!!

1    7/18/2009   7/21/2009
Review By: IllinoisAceRunner90
Pros: What a beautiful course. It was my first time playing this course and man was i impressed. The tees are well marked and the course it super clean. Garbage cans at every hole! That's unheard of! Course wasn't to crowded and some great holes with different elevation changes. My cousin aced #4 the second time playing. Check it out!
Cons: None...
Other Thoughts: I lost a Star Leopard X-OUT on hole #2 in the creek in the nasty water right by the hole. If someone finds it let me know.

Great stuff!

2-4    7/11/2009   7/11/2009
Review By: sdecker
This review was updated on 7/15/2009
Pros: Very well maintained. Mowed fairways and two different stages of rough on many holes. Tee pads have an arrow in the runoff area that points to the pin - how cool is that? Trashcans and benches everywhere. Well maintained by people who obviously care about disc golf.

No 'nex-T' signs but the baskets have a red painted spoke pointing out the direction to the next tee pad.

Lots of 'extras' like landscaping in the waiting areas for each hole. Several holes have a distinct garden-like feel where you can just chill and appreciate the beauty of the course.

Gravel and chipped walkways in a lot of places add an extra touch of class as well.
Cons: Not really 'cons' per se but rather things that prevented me from rating this 5 discs:

1) Signage is older and showing wear on a lot of them. All still do the trick though.
2) There don't appear to be multiple pin placements which may make the course a bit less enjoyable over a bunch of rounds.
3) 'Old school' par-to-distance/difficulty ratio. You could easily chop 15 strokes off the sign par, or just play as a rather easy 'all par 3'.
4) Wind speed/directional flags or at least a painted band on the baskets for visibility would be nice.
5) There are a couple of water crossings that could benefit from a small bridge as opposed to narrow 10x10 landscaping timbers.
Other Thoughts: I created the hole distances and par using Google Earth and my memory. Any mistakes are mine but PDGA.com lists the distance as 4908 and my calculations were only 15 feet off in total. This course deserves more info as it is a real gem. We need a local to post a course map.

Absolutely awesome course. We played three rounds and were begging for more but ran out of time.

If you are in the Chicago area, you MUST take the hour long drive to go here. It's not the most difficult or technical course out there, but it is a real treat to play.

Tends to slightly favor RHFH or LHBH players as many of the doglegs are to the right off the tee. If you are a RHBH player, bring your anhyzer!

Lots of poison ivy off the fairways. I don't call this a con as it is just a seasonal thing related to when I shot the course. I suggest jeans and tennis shoes during the summer months if you are not accurate off the tees.

Bring bug spray for the wooded holes on the back 9. Again not a negative, just a function of playing around wet areas during the summer.

Stop thinking about it and just PLAY IT. Amazing course - the best one I've ever played. Not absolutely perfect but damn close.

B = Be very nice but also a Bit funky

1    7/7/2009   7/8/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up in my list of 18-hole courses:

1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == B- (There is not a lot of decision making required on this course. Most of the punishment for bad throws comes not to your score going up, but from the time it takes to find your disc in the heavy underbrush.....and inconvenience, not golf style punishment.)

2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == B- (The shorts are mostly too short to be rewarding to me. The longs are too long to yield many birdies for me, but short enough that par feels boring.)

3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == B+ (There is good variety although there seems to be an inordinate amount of holes finishing to the right - lefty/RHFH holes. A few holes are curved too extremely to be realistically reachable.)

4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == A- (You are off all by yourself in nature for a lot of the course - nice. Maintenance is superb! Flowers, plants and architectural features are a very nice touch! The course is located mainly in a lowland area, so the swampy areas just off many of the fairways takes away a little of the beauty.)

5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == C- (Only 1 or 2 long/multi-throw holes add anything but length. Most of the long holes make them hard/unbirdieable par 3's rather than legit par 4's.)

Bring two cans of OFF!

1    7/3/2009   7/5/2009
Review By: Tripod2
Pros: This course equally favors both sidearm and backhand throwers. There is quite a variety of holes; tight, open, tight, open. They alternate for quite some time.

Course had me cursing quite a bit. Baskets appear closer than they are from tee. Very good use of vegetation as obstacles.

Wish I had a tomahawk throw in my bag of tricks. The duo ahead of us successfully tomahawked a few holes for easy birdies.

Park is very well maintained. Garbage cans located at every tee sign and everyone uses them. Lawn well manicured and flowers nice touch.

Saw some saplings on hole 6 or 7 (?) that, when fully grown, would have eaten my errant drive.

Very easy to find next tee because of the cement arrow in the ground. Nice!
Cons: Bring TWO cans of OFF! The I & M Canal is right there. There is also a stream in play some of the holes, and a few ponds. I was practically eaten alive by those skeeters.

I hate water hazards; have lost scores of good discs in them. Even though hole 2 is a challenging hole, not too thrilled with the stream right next to basket.

Park is near I-55. You can hear traffic while playing. Found that odd as I'm accustomed to more serene, tucked away courses. Not bad, just odd & annoying.

Signs here are same ones used at Lippold in Crystal Lake. They're weatherworn and can stand replacement soon.
Other Thoughts: Stop here on way to/back from Mokena. There is a lot of discing to do in the greater Joilet area.

That was a crazy game of disc golf

1    5/20/2009   5/20/2009
Review By: davidwebb
Pros: Lots of fun and eats up at least 2 hours if you are with your buddies. Challenging for me (been playing seriously for about a week and 1/2) from the close tees. As other reviewers have said the elevation is impressive for IL (Knock Knolls is a better course for that but it is 9 holes and much shorter). When we were playing we saw a family of 8 deer with a fawn who let us observe them for a few minutes before taking off. I lost my wallet here and someone was nice enough to pick it up and contact me and I got it back the next day! Beautiful as well, poison ivy is scarce.
Cons: Careful of the water hazzards, I decided to be the one to ruin my shoes to get everyone's discs out the mud and calf deep water (I'm 6'1" if that's any help) I found 3 discs in the water as I was looking for my friend's (pretty nice ones too). If you don't shoot accurately you might want to lay up a lot because there are several holes that will plunk your disc is water that is more than knee deep if you over shoot (holes 15? I think...)
Other Thoughts: Overall this is a great course and definitely worth the 30 minute trip for me. This is one of the better courses in the area.

Community Park

2-4    5/11/2009   5/13/2009
Review By: Smoost4T
Pros: - Nice 18 hole course with water, wind, and woods hazards.
- Favors both Forehand and Backhand players.
- Pro and Am tees
- Nice Layout
- Part of the basket is painted red in the direction of the next tee
Cons: - Muddy
- Buggy
- Finding hole 13 was sort of difficult
Other Thoughts: Fun course, very enjoyable. Spotter might be useful.