Fort Worth, TX
Gateway Park - West Share
Uploaded By: ERicJ Hole #4 (Taken 6/2009)

Fun To Play

1    10/21/2009   10/23/2009
Review By: Spydog1985
Pros: Fun layout. Almost all wooded. Par 4s and 5's are entertaining. Lots of challenge with trees, etc
Cons: A bit overgrown. Tough trek. Lots of taller than 'short' grass.
Gets realllllly marshy if it's rained the last few days. Lots of standing water. Most mosquitoes on a course i've ever seen.
Other Thoughts: Fun course. Just dont go if it's rained in the past week, and bring some repellent!

Gateway Park

1    9/17/2009   10/21/2009
Review By: jasondguy
Pros: Long pars, very challenging, thick forest, great for all your arsenal of shots. Surrounded by very nice baseball and soccer fields.
Cons: Very overgrown and not well maintained. I went in September of 2009, and there was a serious mosquito infestation, I mean serious. 1 swat of my disc killed approximately 20 at once.
Other Thoughts: Will be a great course if they cleared it up and took care of the mosquito problem. Lots of potential.

Rough and Tough

2-4    8/12/2009   8/12/2009
Review By: meatbones132
Pros: I first played this course back in march or so. After I played I vowed not to come back for a few months because it was just too premature in the development.

About 6 months later is still really really challenging... Thats for sure.

I like that there are a lot of trees and the occasional change in elevation. Most the holes do a good job of taking advantage of the space available, and there a few pretty unique holes. One of the very few courses I know of that has a public restroom close to the course.
Cons: Still needs some work. A few trees here and there could still be either trimmed of the vines hanging down from them, trees themselves could be trimmed a little and a few trees that just need to come down. Doing this would create nice lines throughout the entire course for throwing thru. Not all the holes need work, and I didn't bring a notepad to write down which holes needed a little bit more attention. Once you get out there and play you will know which holes need a little more trimming.

A lot of the underbrush and ivy that was growing on the ground has been trampled down. Not too mention the heat probably having a helping hand but there are still a lot of nubs left from cut down trees that will stop a disc dead if you try to roll it. If you're not paying attention to where you're walking you can definitely bust your a$$. I don't know if this area was once a landfill but there is a lot of old garbage strew throughout the course. Add in a few disrespectful disc golfers who leave their trash at an already overflowing trash can and it doesn't leave the course looking as pretty as it could be.

I've played the course three times now but I still went down the wrong path a couple times. I even took a picture of the course map at the beginning but it didn't help a lot. A couple more signs wouldn't hurt but it isn't like I had to walk very far out of the way before I realized I wasn't on the right path.
Other Thoughts: Basically... the course just needs a little bit more attention. Cut down a few more branches / vines, use some total vegetation killer to get rid of some of the tree nubs that are starting to grow back after being cut down, and maybe cut a tree or two down on a few holes.

After these few improvements I would put this as a four star course.

Challenging, Narrow, Raw

5+    7/15/2009   7/16/2009
Review By: RayRay
This review was updated on 7/23/2009
Pros: - Extremely narrow fairways make this unlike any other DFW course
- 2 True par 5's. 4 par 4's Total Par: 62
- No gimme birdies (9, 15, 18 are your best bet)
- 4 long open shots to let out frustrations. 18's drive can be very cathartic.
Cons: - Course is still developing. Very raw.
- Confusing layout due to hiking trails. Needs more guide signs.
- Watch out for "park boys..." between 12 and 13
- Rough is so thick that most holes require a pitch back for an errant drive
Other Thoughts: Climo's famous words: "learn to throw straight and beat the game" are a fitting mantra for Gateway. Most holes require a 300' shot that must land perfectly straight. The hardest course in DFW, Gateway will make you work on your technical game.
Navigation Hints:
Hole 2 to 3: Stay straight on X in the path
Hole 9 to 10. Come out of woods, take right, walk along curb
Hole 10 to 11: Cross street, enter woods near the road gate, Hole is parallel to street.
Hole 11 to 12: Cross street again
Hole 12 to 13: Go out of woods, take a left, walk along curb till you hit the pad

Majorly Overgrown And Tough

5+    5/31/2010   7/11/2009
Review By: strain
This review was updated on 9/15/2011
Pros: If your looking for a real challenge this the course to play. The course mostly plays in the woods with true par 4's and 5's. The concrete tee pads are really nice and the DISCather baskets are new. The are wooden post in the ground for signs with the distances of the holes and what par they are. Some holes are long with a lot of tunnel shots and major trees to keep you honest. There are trash cans throughout most of the course and numbers with arrows in the trees to kind of direct you to the next tee.
Cons: This course is very hard to navigate without a map. If you don't have a map you could easily take the wrong trail and get lost, it can get very frustrating. This is not a beginner friendly course, this is for more advanced disc golf players. There are a few signs missing but that is no big deal. The biggest problem is major overgrowth on the back holes which almost makes the it unplayable. There were a lot of mosquitoes and spiders and thorns throughout most of the course. If you don't get a good drive off the tee and park it in the middle of the fairway, you could be in a lot of trouble. I spent a lot of time looking for my disc, so a spotter might be a good idea. I usually plan on losing a disc every time I play here because of overgrowth.
Other Thoughts: This course is a good challenge and will keep you on top of your game. Hopefully with time and a lot of hard work, this course will be a fun wooded and more open course in the future. Until the back holes fairways get really cleaned up, I don't think I will be in a rush to play here anytime soon. You might want to wear jeans and maybe a long sleeve shirt when you play here and bring mosquito repellent because you will need it. I just can't believe a new course is in such bad shape like this, it definately needs more play to get the fairways opened up a little more.

Only for veteran disk players

5+    7/4/2009   7/4/2009
Review By: domingomadagascar
This review was updated on 5/3/2010
Pros: Beautiful park with extremely challenging holes. There are lanes, but they are narrow and hard to find. It takes a few strategic shots to figure out your driving strategies. My score was through the roof the first 3 times, but I am getting closer to par now. Some Par 5s that are seriously long and challenging, and some short Par 3s that will leave you utterly dissapointed. We are talking multiple brakes for a birdie chance. Just shoot for par until you come close to it. Trying for birdies at first is futile. Very few "birdie" holes. You have to earn them. My new favorite course!
Cons: It crushes your spirit at first. Is not the best course for city folk : )
Other Thoughts: If you are tearing up a course like Bear creek and need a good, stern reality check, take a day to go to Gateway. It will humble you and make you actually think about disk again.

Still a little rough

1    6/7/2009   6/8/2009
Review By: ERicJ
Nice concrete tee pads though they're wider in the front than the back which limits the run up angles. Nice brand new double chain Discatcher Pro baskets. Decent tee signs with hole number and distance. For most of the hole transitions there was an attempt to put in "Next Tee" signs, but they need more. This course is all about challenge on pretty narrow fairways. Well balanced course with a lot of RHBH anny shots. About 1/3 of the holes are true multi-shot holes which are virtually un-2-able by most players, they requires skill of hitting a specific landing zone to set up the next shot.
Do not attempt to play this course by yourself the first time. There are many holes with long transitions between them that are not obvious and signage is incomplete. There are a lot of trails for hikers and bikers that weave through the course making navigation even more complicated. The walks between some holes are really long. Hopefully as the course ages it will open up a little bit as some of the holes now are a bit too tight. Some of the more complicated holes need a detailed map on the tee sign to help new-to-the-course players, e.g. #5. There was a lot of trash on the course, and not just recent Gatorade bottles, but old stuff like rusting car parts. Could use some TLC cleanup.
Street and beyond plays OB on this course which adds some challenge hole #10. The were at one time green ribbons tied around tree branches to help navigate from one hole to the next. The brush off the fairway is really punishing usually not much chance to save a '3' once you go in. Like one of the other reviewers said big arms will be frustrated on this course. The course starts out fun, but the tight fairways suffer from law of diminishing returns. I'd about given up on the course when #18 opens up to a beautiful long wide fairway that finally allows you to rip a shot on the last hole. Overall, not really my style of course. I'd play it again, but not without a guide or a really good map.

Challenging and overgrown, needs some beat-in time to be much fun to play.

1    5/13/2009   5/20/2009
Review By: t i m
Pros: Disclaimer: Before I get crucified by the locals for this review, please keep in mind I am rating this course based on how it existed on the day I played it (mid May 2009). This course has immense potential -- it will be a 4-star course eventually -- but it has a long way to go to get there. I love challenging, heavily treed courses, but this has a lot of problems that need to be addressed before it is worthy of 4-star status. I look forward to replaying and re-reviewing this course in the future.

First, the biggest pro for this course is the challenge that is represented. This is like no other course in the DFW Metroplex. Incredibly challenging layout and lots need for precision shots that will help shape a players game and ability to carve lines through trees.

Parking is good.

Gateway Park itself is great -- incredible facilities for all kinds of sports, and obviously a huge investment of resources by the city, so it is great that disc golf is part of this effort.

Open areas were well-mowed and the look of the park makes me believe they will stay this way.

Cons: Lots of cons -- most of the cons are due to newness of the course.

First and foremost -- and this is one of my biggest pet peeves -- I spent a lot of extra time walking the wrong way on this course. I played for the first time without a guide, and though I took a map, it was of only limited help. The map is very general and some of the holes have changed since the map was created. In addition, there are dozens of foot trails through the woods, and there are only a couple of holes that have any signage indicating which path to take to the next tee. These are long paths, partially overgrown, with little to no signage. I spent an estimated 30+ extra minutes playing this course due to needless walking. This is a huge pet peeve. Especially on a hot, humid day with bugs and thorns in abundance. Clear signage is needed. The sooner the better. Also, a better map (google-satellite based map, maybe?) would be of immense help.

In addition, the hole signs need more information. Right now, the signs have hole number and the par, but lack any other helpful information -- like a basic layout for the hole. No clues as to whether a hole turns right or left or doglegs. No clues as to OBs, Mandos, or water hazards. This also makes the course very hard to navigate, since you have to walk up every fairway to find the basket before throwing.

This is a new course, so underbrush is in abundance, as are tree stumps and roots in the fairways. Rollers are useless here because so much is uncleared. Rough is truly rough with lots of opportunities for losing discs, sometimes even in the "fairway."

Many holes are very repetitive. And by that I mean that there are so many trees in the way -- and NO clearly defined fairway -- that on a 300' hole, your best option is often to put a disc 200' up the best available line, and then pitch up for a three. This is really frustrating golf. Well-designed holes should have a line that it is possible to aim for. Here, birdies are pitch-and-pray, even on short holes. This is not good design and gets very frustrating. Hopefully age and foot traffic will open up some lines, but right now the repetition of trying for threes on ~300' holes is really frustrating.

I love challenging courses, and I love trees, but this doesn't do a good job with either. Challenge is not a matter of skill but of surrender -- play pitch shots to stay in the fairway since there are no defined lines -- and take your threes and fours. This isn't skill golf. It's an exercise in anger management.

Again, I think a lot of this is the age of the course, but it is a really frustrating experience.

Ticks and other bugs in abundance. I pulled a tick off my discs and another off my shoes. Mosquitoes all over the place. Course was so humid the discs and hands stayed slick the whole round.

Layout feels very confused -- more like a maze than a course. Good signage will help, but there is a lot of walking between holes, far more than there should be on a course with this many trees. Course feels dragged out for extra length without any good reason. Very few memorable holes -- just a lot of dejavu.
Plan for lots of walking, and then lots more walking, even if you know the layout.

Overall, design and flow are weak. Weak variety of shots necessary and poor flow to the course.

Other Thoughts: I will look forward to playing this course again, hopefully in a year or so when it is a little more broken in. I applaud the Fort Worth Parks Department and local disc golfers for including a disc golf course in this parks project, but its going to take a while to make it work.

Overall, one of the ultimate tests for a course is "did I have fun playing it." And the answer here is "no, not really."

I enjoy almost any disc golf anywhere. But here, I found myself hot, bug-ridden, tired-out, turned-around and frustraterd rather than enjoying the round, which isn't a good sign. I hope people play this -- lots -- to break it in. And I hope it gets great signage and direction markers to help navigate the course. Then someday it may be more fun to play, but for now, it just isn't worth the time, with so many other better, more fun, courses in the area.

EDIT: I've updated my rating to a 3.0 from an original 2.5 based on rethinking my experience. If I knew my way around the course and hadn't made so many side excursions trying to find the tees, I would have given this a 3.0... so keep in mind that you SHOULD NOT play this course without a guide the first time through unless you are a masochist. Hopefully this will be fixed soon. So for locals, this course is worth a 3.0 -- for visitors, consider it a 2 or 2.5 unless you're playing with locals to show you the way. This will be a great training ground and tournament course someday... it just isn't there yet, and has a long way to go.

Not impressed

1    5/17/2009   5/17/2009
Review By: drgnslyr221
Pros: About the only pro I can think of are the tees.They are all uniform and well built.13 and 14 are about the only holes I liked.I shot +6 so it wasn't the difficulty.The teepads all have distance markers.
Cons: Very poorly marked trails.I got lost between 14 and 15 also between 16 and 17.The walk between some holes were overly long.
This course desperately needs am tees.At least some staked out.I know how expensive concrete tees are.I've never lost a disc in the fairway before I played this course.Almost all the holes felt like there was only one way to play to the pins.
Some of the shots required to have a decent chance at par are beyond the average players ability.
Other Thoughts: As of right know I can't recommend this course.The good news is it has the potential to be a great course.Foot traffic will help the fairways and am tees are a must.
This could easily host a pro tourney and give them a run for their money.Unfortunately The average player is not a pro.
I will definitely keep an eye on this course and change my score accordingly.

1    5/12/2009   5/15/2009
Review By: wolito
This review was updated on 12/20/2009
Pros: This is a very challenging course! The first few holes are short with tight fairways that have small little hills on them. Get used to it because this is how the rest of the course plays. Extremely tight fairways and thick brush on the sides add so much challenge to this course, but in a good way. Tunnel shots are needed here more then any other course I have played. Good variety of shots and I like how there are a few holes that open up out of the woods to give you a little break form the punishment they serve you. The baskets are nice and new and the teepads are great.
Cons: This course is very new. The lines and fairways are ill defined. Lots of weeds and branches to get in the way. Some of the hole are so tight with the trees that it is almost too much of a challenge that takes a little fun out of it. Definate trash issues with this course, most of which is from a long time ago before this course was built. Navigation issues here.
Other Thoughts: I think once this course gets used a little more, than it will make it better. Definate potential with this course. I would certianly come back and try it again. Beginners should definately stay away from this one. One of the hardest courses I have ever played, but because of that, it makes me want to try again.