Fort Worth, TX
Gateway Park - West Share
Uploaded By: ERicJ   (Taken 6/2009)
Course map on info board

Gayway

5+    12/12/2010   3/27/2010
Review By: gigemjonny
This review was updated on 1/19/2011
Pros: Very Technical.....The Front nine is looking good....the back still has some problems.
Cons: Swampy, Smelly, Trash everywhere. Watch out for creepy men around the circle drive. I grew up in the area and we used to call it Gayway. I'll just leave it at that. Very thorny and brushy. No fairways. The grass is very tall. Hard to find your disc even with a well placed shot. I brought home a tick on my leg so if you play here make sure you check when you get home.
Other Thoughts: I Shot a 74 which was the best in my group. Missed my eagle putt on 12 and birdied. A few ace runs along the river but very risky shots.

be warned

2-4    2/26/2010   3/6/2010
Review By: Riverhouse82
Pros: nice and long. even too long. can be enjoyable
Cons: layout is mostly poor. not in hole design but overall layout. the walk is unbearable the first time. most holes are relentlessly difficult. If you throw well you might play well, if you can bear being knee deep in thorns vines poorly trimmed saplings and shrubs and a general lack of attention to the playable fairway.
Other Thoughts: I see this course being great in a few years when enough people have gone and trodded down the growth. However now I cannot suffer through another round. Each round i Hit the fairways and i was at or just over par, but my arms and legs, i wore jeans, looked like i got mauled by a cat.

Gateway Rundown!!!

5+    12/10/2009   1/10/2010
Review By: TxDiscGolfBoy
Pros: -Concrete pads
-Easy to find
-No course population...my boy McLeod said it, "Everyone is scared to play here."
-Difficulty Level is probably the highest of any course in the area.....THIS MAKES YOUR GAME BETTER.
-No trash really.
-Surrounding park area is nice as well
-This courses par 5's are TRULY par 5's
Cons: -A bad shot = bogey or higher...I've tapped out on some holes
-Not too much shot variety here...long winding fairway -- narrow -- with tons of trees.
-Don't play when it has rained, because it pretty much sits on a swamp.
-Have a map, you'll get lost
-Thick briar patches, thorns, lots of ivy...wear pants, even in the summer. I've got battle scars from this course.
Other Thoughts: This course has it's share of cons for sure, but I think that most of them all relate to the fact that this course is really difficult. Everything that can go wrong in a game can and will happen out there... x10. I haven't shot good out there yet.

Toughest course in the area by far, which is probably why I rank it so high.

Play it for sure, it's a good one, but don't underestimate it... it'll eat ya up.

Wow, this is in Texas??

1    1/5/2010   1/6/2010
Review By: Pizza God
Pros: Championship level course.
Tee Pads on every hole.
Several 2 drive holes. (par 5 holes)
two holes looking over the Trinity River.
A lot of work has been put into this course to make it playable.
Cons: Not well laid out, If I didn't print out he map, I would have been lost.
Tee Pads are backwards and too short.
Fairways are a little tight and the rough is REALLY rough, I had jeans on and still got scratched up.
Other Thoughts: wow, was this course really in Texas??? I have played all over the state and this may be the most wooded course I have played. The course is NOT for beginners, it is tough. If you can't throw it straight, you will be in the rough and it IS rough.

I did manage a score in the lower 60's, I was very pleased with a few of my holes, I got 3's on #7 and #18 and managed a 5 on #5 even though my first shot didn't even make it to the mando (I had to throw a shot back to the fairway and around the mando. Stupid tree)

I had a great shot on #17 for a 2. I 3'd most of the other holes with a few 4's thrown in due to trees and rough.

I WILL BE BACK.

Oh, special note, beware of guys trolling the parking lot and in the bushes around holes #12-13. I found out the hard way........

Wear Pants

5+    11/14/2009   1/1/2010
Review By: McLeod
Pros: No Crowds, Everyone's Scared to Play Here
Near Impossible Shots
Playing Here Improves Your Game
True Par 5 Holes
Cons: Thorns and Thick Brush
Odd Layout
Creepy Old Men That Meet Up in the Woods
Little Variety
Other Thoughts: Best game for me is 5 over. Lesser players seem to refuse to return to this course, but the only way it's going to get better is if people keep coming and stomp down all the rough spots. I'm glad this is not a family friendly course.

Much Improved

2-4    12/18/2009   12/20/2009
Review By: joshbunch
Other Thoughts: This is a very challenging course. I played it 2-3 time this last June/July and I hated it. It was so overgrown and nearly impossible to play. It was not enjoyable at all.
I thought after 6 months I would give it another try. It has been improved 10 fold. The lines you have to hit are still very difficult, but not impossible. I would not recommend this course to a beginner.
It is mostly a technical course with one monster hole (707ft). Also another observation...I think most of the distance markers are off quite substantially.

1    11/5/2009   11/6/2009
Review By: thegrimjeeper
Pros: Challenging tree-lined tunnel shots are the norm for this course
Cons: Too many damned tunnel shots, no variety. Former dumping ground, it's called "The Privy" becuase it smells and looks like a toilet. Fairways were non-existent, easy to lose discs. It was easy to lose your way with no signage too.
Other Thoughts: Won't be playing ever again.

Fun To Play

1    10/21/2009   10/23/2009
Review By: Spydog1985
Pros: Fun layout. Almost all wooded. Par 4s and 5's are entertaining. Lots of challenge with trees, etc
Cons: A bit overgrown. Tough trek. Lots of taller than 'short' grass.
Gets realllllly marshy if it's rained the last few days. Lots of standing water. Most mosquitoes on a course i've ever seen.
Other Thoughts: Fun course. Just dont go if it's rained in the past week, and bring some repellent!

Gateway Park

1    9/17/2009   10/21/2009
Review By: jasondguy
Pros: Long pars, very challenging, thick forest, great for all your arsenal of shots. Surrounded by very nice baseball and soccer fields.
Cons: Very overgrown and not well maintained. I went in September of 2009, and there was a serious mosquito infestation, I mean serious. 1 swat of my disc killed approximately 20 at once.
Other Thoughts: Will be a great course if they cleared it up and took care of the mosquito problem. Lots of potential.

Rough and Tough

2-4    8/12/2009   8/12/2009
Review By: meatbones132
Pros: I first played this course back in march or so. After I played I vowed not to come back for a few months because it was just too premature in the development.

About 6 months later and...it is still really really challenging... Thats for sure.

I like that there are a lot of trees and the occasional change in elevation. Most the holes do a good job of taking advantage of the space available, and there a few pretty unique holes. One of the very few courses I know of that has a public restroom close to the course.
Cons: Still needs some work. A few trees here and there could still be either trimmed of the vines hanging down from them, trees themselves could be trimmed a little and a few trees that just need to come down. Doing this would create nice lines throughout the entire course for throwing thru. Not all the holes need work, and I didn't bring a notepad to write down which holes needed a little bit more attention. Once you get out there and play you will know which holes need a little more trimming.

A lot of the underbrush and ivy that was growing on the ground has been trampled down. Not too mention the heat probably having a helping hand but there are still a lot of nubs left from cut down trees that will stop a disc dead if you try to roll it. If you're not paying attention to where you're walking you can definitely bust your a$$. I don't know if this area was once a landfill but there is a lot of old garbage strew throughout the course. Add in a few disrespectful disc golfers who leave their trash at an already overflowing trash can and it doesn't leave the course looking as pretty as it could be.

I've played the course three times now but I still went down the wrong path a couple times. I even took a picture of the course map at the beginning but it didn't help a lot. A couple more signs wouldn't hurt but it isn't like I had to walk very far out of the way before I realized I wasn't on the right path.
Other Thoughts: Basically... the course just needs a little bit more attention. Cut down a few more branches / vines, use some total vegetation killer to get rid of some of the tree nubs that are starting to grow back after being cut down, and maybe cut a tree or two down on a few holes.

After these few improvements I would put this as a four star course.