Temple, TX
Lion's Park Share
Uploaded By: Bevo Hole #14 (Taken 2/2010)
Hole #14 Sign

Lions

5+    11/21/2012   11/30/2012
Review By: steady1
Pros: Nice sidewalks for 12 holes, terrain rolling. Front 11 open, back 13 wooded., concrete teeboxes, signage good. grass maintained.
Cons: some long distances with small pars
Other Thoughts: One of the local favorites. Shorts for me as I am new player. Enjoy the challenges.

Temple's Best DGC

1    9/26/2012   9/26/2012
Review By: bogeymanjr
Pros: This is the best disc golf course hands down in the Temple area. It features many challenges such as baskets on hills to putt to, throws over water, and even open areas to air a few discs. Without going into too much detail, I will mention the holes I personally liked. Hole 3 with its 150 foot throw over a pond to the basket 198 feet away was good. Hole 12 with its throw to an elevated basket was interesting. Hole 17 as well, just not as long. And hole 18 with its curving fairway to the right was a challenge as well as the tree dodging that had to be done to get to the basket.
Cons: First off, most of this course is open and the first 11 holes are scattered through most of the park. This means a disker has to always watch for walkers and runners on the sidewalks. I played early in the day, so I had few problems with this. That said, I did come close to somebody with one of my throws, but they were still far enough away I did miss them. There is always a surprise at these courses sometimes. There is nothing worse than playing a hole and making the required throws to find there is no basket there to play to. This happened on hole 14. That basket is missing. I imagine its been stolen. Not that that would matter, considering you still have 20 other holes to play here. It is just so frustrating when that happens. It is good practice to make the throws, I guess.
Other Thoughts: This course had several good challenges. I could not see me giving this course more than a 3, though. There are just so many others I have played that are just as good, or better. This is a good course, I am sure for the local people, and I did enjoy my round here overall. Nice park, interesting course.

I hate to hate on my home course

5+    3/29/2011   3/31/2011
Review By: thshistory
Pros: Holes 12-21 are pretty great holes with a variety of shot selection needed through modestly wooded areas. Hole 4 is nice with towering pecan trees and hole 3 is a great ace hole with water surrounding.
Cons: Quite honestly, I find the cons to this course out weigh the pros. Not that it's a terrible course, but many holes are completely unimaginative. Hole 1 is not bad, but then you get to the massive depression of the lower part of Lion's Park where, with the exception of holes 3 and 4, the designer basically placed baskets in the middle of a field trying to create a course that make some sense in terms of its layout. I realize holes 5, 6, and 7 are part of a redesign, but geeze, just scrap the holes 2-7 and 10-11 and start over. Actually holes 8 and 9 kind of suck too. And it's terribly unfortunate because holes 12-21 are pretty awesome. I just don't like throwing in massive fields disguised as disc golf courses.
Other Thoughts: If you're in Temple and want to play a round of disc golf, go to the 5th Street course, referred to as Lion's Junction or Rotary Club course also. As far as lay out goes, it's not the most creative course in the world, but it's consistently good (with the exception of hole 1. Again, a basket in a field). The distances are nicely diverse and holes 7-11 are commonly referred to as "birdy row" with some very entertaining par threes. Unfortunately most tournaments that make their way through Temple are at Lion's Park due to holes 12-21.