Temple, TX
Lion's Park Share
Uploaded By: Bevo Hole #10 (Taken 2/2010)
Hole #10 Sign (Short)

< Prev 1 2 3

1    2/23/2014   2/23/2014
Review By: garrettfreberg
Pros: Seemed like the front had dried out very nicely, so no flooding to report.
The course is very challenging. Long holes, short holes with hazards like water and woods. Good Variety of shots. Backhands/Forehands. Great use of the hillside on the front for a nice scenic and elevation changes. Baskets are in great shape. Everything was very well marked in my eyes. I am not from Temple area and I had no problem navigating the course. It was very pleasant and I would DEF play again.
Cons: Having to cross the paths in a couple of places meant I had to wait for the other people to enjoy their walking/running/etc. I hope that anyone reading this knows that we SHARE most parks and that disc golf is just one of the MULTI uses of most parks. So be patient and let the doggers dog and the joggers jog before you huck. Some of the holes just seem to be dropped into some open areas with no real reason. Just huge open areas that could have been more thought out, but if you have a huge arm, you might enjoy chucking down an open field for 900', but I thought with all the open space a more thought out couple of holes would be nice.
Other Thoughts: I loved this place. A beautiful setting. Goregeous and well maintained. Thanks for all the efforts in getting this course set up and for taking such good care of it.

Better of the two temple courses

1    5/27/2013   5/27/2013
Review By: MoFlicker
This review was updated on 6/5/2013
Pros: Lots of variety. 1-11 are mostly open, 12-21 are like playing a totally different course. I really enjoyed these more technical holes. My favorite was 17. 220 ft to an elevated tee surrounded by trees. Came very close to an ace on this one
Cons: Navagation is tough for an out of towner like myself playing the course the first time through. After 2 I was a little confused about where to go next. Also after 9 I had mistaken the 12th tee for number 10. Some next tee signs would be really helpful in a couple of spots. Also I had to skip #3 and #6 due to both hole being completely submerged in water. Luckily it's 21 holes, so I still got plenty of disc in.
Other Thoughts: Don't know how common the flooding is on the front 9. If they maybe moved these holes to less flood prone areas, and made the navigation a little better I'd easily bump this course up to a 4.

Lions

5+    11/21/2012   11/30/2012
Review By: steady1
Pros: Nice sidewalks for 12 holes, terrain rolling. Front 11 open, back 13 wooded., concrete teeboxes, signage good. grass maintained.
Cons: some long distances with small pars
Other Thoughts: One of the local favorites. Shorts for me as I am new player. Enjoy the challenges.

1    11/11/2012   11/17/2012
Review By: teamtexas
Pros: This course was great, it had alot of challenge. There is a good mix of open holes as well as wooded and water holes.
Cons: A few very long holes with low pars. Some other events going on at the same time, however they were not set up in the way of the course.
Other Thoughts: We will be back to play here again!

Temple's Best DGC

1    9/26/2012   9/26/2012
Review By: bogeymanjr
Pros: This is the best disc golf course hands down in the Temple area. It features many challenges such as baskets on hills to putt to, throws over water, and even open areas to air a few discs. Without going into too much detail, I will mention the holes I personally liked. Hole 3 with its 150 foot throw over a pond to the basket 198 feet away was good. Hole 12 with its throw to an elevated basket was interesting. Hole 17 as well, just not as long. And hole 18 with its curving fairway to the right was a challenge as well as the tree dodging that had to be done to get to the basket.
Cons: First off, most of this course is open and the first 11 holes are scattered through most of the park. This means a disker has to always watch for walkers and runners on the sidewalks. I played early in the day, so I had few problems with this. That said, I did come close to somebody with one of my throws, but they were still far enough away I did miss them. There is always a surprise at these courses sometimes. There is nothing worse than playing a hole and making the required throws to find there is no basket there to play to. This happened on hole 14. That basket is missing. I imagine its been stolen. Not that that would matter, considering you still have 20 other holes to play here. It is just so frustrating when that happens. It is good practice to make the throws, I guess.
Other Thoughts: This course had several good challenges. I could not see me giving this course more than a 3, though. There are just so many others I have played that are just as good, or better. This is a good course, I am sure for the local people, and I did enjoy my round here overall. Nice park, interesting course.

Great Course, All Around

5+    4/5/2012   4/6/2012
Review By: preton
Pros: Temple really does have it pretty good: two really fun courses right in town, and Lion's Park is the superior of the two. This course offers tests to just about every part of your game, with just about as pretty a course as you could hope to play in Central TX.

The course is really two parts, Holes 1-11 and then 12-21. Holes 1 through 11 will stretch out your power game, but demands little technicality in your shots, with a couple of exceptions (#3 is an example, with water surrounding the basket on three sides). The course does make good use of the moderate elevation chanes, with 8 and 9 as notable examples. A chain out on either hole usually turns into a three-put, as these misses have a nasty habit of rolling 25-35 feet down the hill. 10 and 11 present two good scoring opportunities before the second half starts.

The more technically demanding second half of the course features trees on every single hole, and elevation changes on others that offer a challenge for even very skilled players. You will use nearly every shot on these holes, from power throws, hyzers, anhyzers, tomahawks and even rollers. #17 is the showpiece of the course, with a basket tucked high on a the side of a hill, protected by trees on all sides except for a small window in the very front. The hole is especially picturesque in the spring, when Bluebonnets frame the foreground of the wooded area where the basket sits. 18 is a short but wicket par 4 that almost requires a well-placed roller off the tee, and a 2nd shot (and maybe a 3rd) through very tight windows framed by trees. Even the last three holes are tricky. They appear short and accessible at first glance, but a drive that misses even by a few inches can turn even these shorter holes into trouble in a hurry. The designer did a great job with the last half of the course, where great shots are almost always rewarded, but good shots rarely so.

The facilities at the park are good, with concrete tee pads on all holes except one, and well-maintaned, two-layer chain baskets. The open section of the park offers more in the way of paths and facilities (i.e. bathrooms) than the latter half. The course is mowed regularly. Signs at the tee pads are accurate, and tees are generally easy to find, but, as always, it never hurts to ask a local where to go if you're confused. Other patrons are typically very friendly and more than happy to help out.
Cons: The first eleven holes are a little dull for some, especially juxtaposed to the last ten. I talk to many who skip the first eleven for this reason, but I also talk to some who say they skip much of the last ten because they're too hard, so skill level may come into play. South Temple may be a better place to learn the game for most beginners.

The park has soccer and baseball fields, and people often go out to exercise or just relax in the sun. This is typical for a well-kept park, obviously, but some of the non-golfing patrons seem oblivious to players on the tee sometimes. Almost every time I play at Lion's, I end up waiting for a mother and child(ren) to look at some grass between me and the basket, though this is never a problem once you get away from the high traffic areas after 11.

Another problem the course suffers from is poor drainage on the lowest holes. Holes 2-7 may be unpleasant to play after a good rain. I've seen 6 require over 2 weeks to dry out.
Other Thoughts: Overall, Lion's Park is a very fun round of disc golf, and the best experience between Waco and Austin. Bring your favority playing partners and get ready for a great round that will likely test your entire game.

my 1st birdie!

1    3/12/2012   3/12/2012
Review By: xcaosxgirlx
Pros: accurate map. good combination of long and shorts. got my 1st birdie on hole #5
Cons: watch out for walkers along path. very wet after several days of rain. lost a great disc on hole #6.
Other Thoughts: i would definitely play this course again.... after dries up.

Excellent

1    12/10/2011   12/15/2011
Review By: pablo.diablo
This review was updated on 9/5/2012
Pros: I played this course for the first time on Dec 10, 2011. We are playing this course again for our League round on Sunday, December 18th, 2011.

#12-21 are the best part about this course for my particular style which favors technicality over distance.

Nice baskets and teepads, and some water comes into play which I always appreciate. I think every course should have a water hole or 2 to be considered excellent or better.

Has a decent variety of shots: big bombs, placement drives, thumbers, over the water throws, downhill/uphill, a few technical throws. I mainly throw RHBH and don't think I used a sidearm once?

21 holes that are all very fun to play using contrasting styles.

This is a great course to play doubles from the longs.
Cons: Perhaps unfairly, I had a friend tell me that this course was better than Circle C, which is generally considered to be the top course in Austin. It's easy to get spoiled by such courses.

I would say East Metro Park in Manor and Circle C in Austin are more worthy of a 4.5 rating as many people are giving Lion's in these reviews. Lion's had a couple of minor flow issues in comparison and holes that were long for the sake of distance. Which makes this a solid 3.5-4.0 instead.

Let me also say that I truly prefer technical woods courses since I don't throw 450'+. If you are like me, then you may want to play #12-21 twice and just skip the entire front part of the course thru Hole 11, although there are a few cool holes that are worth checking out there, too.

#9 could be improved by adding a teepad in the section of grass behind the normal tee, maybe 100' straight back or more just across the little road.

#12 could stand to have at least one good anny line towards the basket. Right now it's setup for a placement shot to the rear of the upper fairway, but would be more fun if there was a better chance to break through the line of trees and get closer to the basket for a birdie op. Maybe I don't know the secret line, yet.

The first eleven remind me a bit of Old Settlers Park, mostly wide open and mostly long holes with no need for pinpoint accuracy. You can throw almost any line and even on a yank or grip-lock you can still do about the same as if you executed your throw to perfection. I had a few really bad turnovers that left me ~100' to one side of everybody else and we still tied the holes. So if you throw ~350' on flat ground like me, then Pars are no problem here (not a con).
Other Thoughts: I did not review this to rail on Lion's, it IS a solid course. I was a bit miffed by the 4.5 ratings and wanted to give a fair clarification of my reasons why it is just a notch below that. But hey, such ratings are really arbitrary based on each reviewers frame of reference, so it's better to read the actual review than judge by # stars.

We also played the South course off 5th, which was like a baby Old Settler's Park, but actually better than OSP. It's dead flat and mostly open with a few really fun holes. It's kinda like a burger with mayo and cheese only, one that would be better with some bacon and avocado, but the restaurant just doesn't have those ingredients available. Lion's is better than that one easily. However, they are both worth checking out if you are going thru Temple. The Sin Tex Club from Austin had a great time at both places!

Excellent course

1    8/5/2011   8/5/2011
Review By: rootofthechord
This review was updated on 4/19/2012
Pros: - This course is quite spacious - 21 holes, and 4 long bombs 696' or greater
- The long holes come first, followed by the short technical holes, which means you're not trying to chunk it over a 900' hole with a tired arm at the end.
- Good variety of holes: long field shots (2, 7, 10, 11), birdie/ace race holes (3, 6, 9, 13, 15), and wooded holes with wicked mandos and unique lines (12, 18).
- Good use of elevation. Holes 2, 8, and 9 are greatly enhanced by fairly typical elevation changes.
- I actually appreciated the long holes. I can see how people would complain that they're "filler", but IMHO being able to consistently let off long straight drives is also a technical aspect to the game.
Cons: - The only water that comes into play is on holes 3 and 5. There's a beautiful pond between 14 and 15 just begging to be included somehow.
- I didn't see any water or bathroom facilities after hole 5. If I got that wrong, please feel free to correct me.
- The fairway of hole 6 looks like it straddles a drainage ditch. It's awkward even when it's dry out.
- While I liked the "long holes first" idea, I felt like there were two courses: holes 1-11 and 12-21. Some integration of short and long (for example, adding an extra long hole somewhere in the back 10) would be welcome.
Other Thoughts: This course came as a very pleasant surprise to me. Coming in as a low-to-mid Recreational player, I found this course quite challenging in all aspects of my game - open-field and close-quarter drives, and shorter approach-only holes. This course is not a good place for beginners to start, but once you've mastered the basic concepts of the game and can play with some consistency, this course is excellent. I would consider it a treat to have this course locally. Highly recommended as a day trip for anybody between Waco and Austin, or if you're passing by on I-35.

Very Nice Course

2-4    7/12/2011   7/13/2011
Review By: daveseeley
Pros: Lots of variety. Great facilities like water and restrooms, benches, and shade. Baskets are in excellent shape. Tee pads are perfect.
Cons: Very popular softball and baseball complex and community pool in same park so lots of people around, not on course, but around. Also there seems to be a consistant problem with young (middle school or jr high) kids screwin around on the course. A kind word to encourage them to move on or let pass ends with attitudes.
Other Thoughts: Beautiful course, fun and well planned.

< Prev 1 2 3