6 Helpful / 2 Not
A 9 hole course with a ton of water hazards!
Pros: - Lots of water hazards in play, if you like that sort of thing. Hole #4 is a fantastic water hazard, as it is a challenging yet entirely reasonable drive across a 100 foot body of water. The same cannot be said for #6 (see below). The last hole also requires you to be accurate and avoid the rushing river.
- Nice distance on the holes in this course. I'm used to 150-200 foot holes on municipal park courses, but there are some monster drives for big arms here! As such, I think the designers did a good job of utilizing the space of the course to create long fairways, but at the cost of the flow of the course's layout (see cons)
- Teepads are well-built and the baskets are adequately maintained.
- The course is not too far from the nucleus of Bloomsburg (or I-80 for that matter), which would be a great destination for the town's college students; they could walk there if they were really ambitious.
- Amenities such as bathrooms and water fountains. I think they are closed during the winter, however.
Cons: - The course was a little difficult to navigate because some of the wooden markers are missing numbers. Coupled with the fact that there is no map at the kiosk or on this website, I tended to do more wandering than I would have liked.
- This is a standard issue with city parks, but there was too much clutter in the park. Storage sheds, power relays, swingsets, picnic tables, and other objects detract from the serenity of the course. Also, while there were no people at the park when I was golfing, I can imagine lots of people getting in the way while you're disc golfing here.
- The flow of the course isn't particularly intuitive. There are many switchbacks from hole to hole, making it even more confusing when they are not marked. I feel like it would be really common to hit another disc golfer or get in his or her way if that person was playing a different number hole.
- Few technical/trick shots, although some shots have low ceilings that require accuracy.
- As for hole #6, I concur with other reviewers when they say that playing this hole is impossible. Over 500 feet from shore to shore? Seriously?!!? Whoever designed the layout for this hole is either full of hubris or insanity -- or maybe both. I, too chickened out and played around the body of water for this hole, albeit with a double bogey.
Other Thoughts: I played this course specifically in the winter so that I would have an easier time retrieving my discs off the ice. Easier said than done! I still lost a disc on the ice. (My golden retriever wasn't long enough and I wasn't going to dare venturing out on the thin ice to get it.) Regardless, I still had a good time here and I'd like to see it with foliage and vegetation in the spring!
Check this out if you're traveling via I-80 or US-11!
6 of 8 people found this review helpful.
8 Helpful / 3 Not
Pros: It's in my back yard. This is a basic 9 hole course at a local park that did what they would with the land they had available. We are currently in the works of making some major changes to the course.
Cons: There can be football practice baseball practice, runners dog walkers etc you can go there one day and not even be able to play any holes because there are just to many people. The course layout is in need of a big change and hopefully that will be coming soon.
8 of 11 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.