North Plains, OR
Horning's Hideout - Highland Course Share
Uploaded By: Matt aka N.G.S.P. Hole #14 (Taken 11/2008)

< Prev 1 2 3
Putt a Birdie on it.

5+    9/15/2013   9/15/2013
Review By: Murdoc Loch
Pros:
-The Highlands Course at Horning's Hideout is a pitch and putt, and in that context this is a wonderful course. It's quite fun for the length and I usually play a quick little warm up round here before moving onto the other courses at Horning's.

-There is a nice amount of variety at Highlands (especially for a pitch and putt) - A few holes near water, elevation changes, etc.

-This a great course for young kids and new disc golfers.

-This course has great signage. The signs are very detailed with all of the distances and elevation changes right there on the sign.

- Clean bathrooms near the parking lot (next to Canyon Course's hole #1 teebox).

- This is a pretty clean course, not much trash gets piled up or if it does, it get's cleaned up pretty frequently.

- Sweet custom made baskets made by Bob Horning - They make a really nice sound when you hit them too.

-This course makes great practice for your short game or if you just feel like going for some ace runs.
Cons:
-Some of the tees are close to either; other tees or other baskets and this can cause distractions and hold ups.

-This course has no benches, not really a big deal since it's so short though.

-The space next to and beyond hole 16 and 18 is sometimes used for parking during special events (weddings and the like), it's never fun to hit someones car with an errant drive.
-They did a nice job of adding a certain amount of risk in going for aces on a lot of holes, usually with seep drop offs or out of bounds lines right behind the basket. Although the opposite is the case on 7, 8, 10 and 17, these all have hills behind their baskets.

Pitch N' Putt

5+    8/3/2013   8/3/2013
Review By: Ocelotl
Pros: First off this is a true pitch n putt, I use this course for putting practice and working on short range layups. With that said there are many positives that larger "full" courses dont have.

-Layout, for a number of holes being crammed in a tight space there isnt much overlap or danger of throwing into other people.

-Hornings Signage, all of the tee signs across all three courses are very well designed, providing all of the information play the course.

-Night/glow golf, if you are camping it is awesome to get a night round in out here.

-Challenging short shots, there are a few holes in the middle that challenge you to hit a specific line, it is great to walk out here with 3-4 putters and give the approach game a workout before going over to canyon or meadow.

-Scenery/Wildlife, as with all hornings courses it is simply beautiful out there, plus you never know what critters you will run into, I threw on 12 went down to the basket and realized a deer was standing about 15' away from my disc, it calmly wandered a few feet away let me pick up my disk and then got back to eating a shrub, pretty damn cool.

-Beginner friendly, great family activity when the wife and nieces and nephews all want to go and "throw" this is the place to make it happen.
Cons: -First few holes are kinda throwaway, just open shots not really challenging or interesting.

-Occasional pack golf, part of being beginner friendly is dealing with the packs of folks not very familiar with the game, making for a few slow rounds.
Other Thoughts: Horning is a true DG gem, and this course is great to have on site. If you take it for what it is, its a great place to warm up and to work on precise upshots.

Beginner/Intermediate

1    9/13/2012   11/29/2012
Review By: notapro
Pros: - Course is set on private property that is set up for a few different activities. But, it seems like if the course is open, then there won't be any interference by default!
- Decent amount of the holes are set in within a forested area, to force some line shaping and provide opportunities to be stuck in the rough. Holes #7 thru #13 are deeper in the woods, with tighter lanes to the basket. Some of the more interesting ones include an RHFH hyzer on #9, a very wide hyzer or anny around a copse of trees on #10, a very tight and very downhill shot on #12, and some simpler hyzers.
- Other holes are more open, with more mature trees to force certain shots. #5 is a RHBH anny/flex shot over a small pond and into a ring of trees, #14 is an open shot once you get past some tight gaps directly off the tee. #15 is a sharp hyzer that slopes to the left, and #18 is a good downhill shot that has the typical RHBH hyzer lane blocked. Definitely the possibility of getting hung up outside of the woods on these holes.
- Constant elevation changes really help make this course fun and interesting. The downhill shots on #12 and #18 are pretty extreme, and the uphill slopes on #5 and #7 aren't too shabby. Plenty of spots where an errant shot can roll away as well, both in and out of the woods.
- Some tricky basket placements to liven things up; #5's is between five giant fir trees, #6's is behind some very large tree trunks, #11 and #15 are sloped behind the basket, and #17's is on a slope as well.
- Homemade baskets are sweet! Tee signs are very nice as well. Mostly natural teepads, but the holes are short enough where it really doesn't matter. Navigation is a breeze.
Cons: - Most obvious con at this course is the short hole lengths. How short? Average length of 172', with eight of the holes at or under 150'. Definitely a warm up course for any skill level. Still pretty fun though.
- A few holes are pretty much wide open, like #1 thru #3, and #17.
Other Thoughts: - This is a fantastic beginners course, or a warm-up course before hitting up the other two on the premises. There is enough line shaping to warrant some very different shots, and enough troublesome areas where a bad shot can be punished. Water is definitely in play on #5 and sort of #6 as well. Definitely worth shooting through once if time allows.

Lucky Charms!

2-4    5/25/2011   1/17/2012
Review By: ohtobediscing
This review was updated on 2/3/2014
Pros: We arrived to camp late afternoon, and immediately went and played this course, where I shot -8. At midnight we went back [nicely toasted] with two discs each[white] and headlamps and I shot -11. My buddy dinked his in the water's edge at #5 and fell in getting it. I fell all the way down the trail going to hole #12 but only got dirty. He lost a Leopard on #13 but we found it the next morning. We decided rolling down the hill at #18 was easier than walking. The hardest part was not giggling like giddy schoolgirls as we walked back to camp past the owner's residence.
Its OK as a beginner's course, as its rarely crowded and the quiet isolation is conducive to ponderous thought. But the open shots have unusual and/or sudden elevation changes, and the closed-in fairways require precision or you'll be invoking Olde Scottish oaths as you explore the local shrubbery. There's enough woods/undergrowth at the sides of the open fairways to spend some time disc-hunting if you're Driving While Imbibing. An overthrow at #2, 12, 18 can add a couple strokes each. Underthrow at #5 and you're in the lake.
None of these are a con, however: they're just stations on the way to the pot o' gold. Which is exactly what the baskets look like: giant semi rims repurposed and painted brilliant yellow, that go "DONNNNNGG!!!" like a county Cork church death knell when you flub your putt.
If you've blown your driving ability on the other two courses you might still have enough arm to play this one and really enjoy the variety of shots, elevation, woodsiness and isolation. And the peacocks.

And bring some Scotch. For the Little People.

Cons: The long concrete tees and bomber homemade baskets are lighted, but not all the lights work or solarly charge well enough to illuminate the moors. Best to play this in the daytime first and learn it.
During concert events like String Summit, all the field holes will have campers, and the woods will have drunken, wasted wanderers.
Other Thoughts: The camping is excellent and cheap, and if you're here in the off-season/weekday, you'll have enough room on the various grassy tent terraces for a large game of catch-and-toss. Quickie marts, grocery, pubs and restaurants 6 miles away.

One Disc Wonder!!!!

2-4    7/15/2011   7/23/2011
Review By: ninja-don
Pros: - Easy course. But very fun!
- Baskets here are all home made, painted bright yellow (very easy to see), and well made at that, they catch disc very well... maybe beter than any other basket I've played.
- Layout was good, and easy to follow... you could normally see the next tee from the basket, or at least follow a trail to the next one.
- There are caged LED lights on top of the baskets and near most of the tee areas so you could play some night (glow) golf.
- Tee signs are excellent!!! they are very nice and accurate. They also have the elevation change for each hole from tee to basket (EXAMPLE: +11ft or - 25ft), this was nice as it made me think about if I need more or less on my shot, which I rarely pay attention to otherwise.
- A great warm up course.
Trash can were placed all around the course, which left the area very clean.
- If you need a fast game... this is course for you only took me about 35min for 18 holes. Great cooldown or warm up for the other courses.
-You can get towles from the house were you pay. The towels are free to use, just bring them back where you got them.
- Normally a pay to play course is a con for me, but $3/person for ALL DAY and for ALL 3 courses... that is a deal!
- Drinking water available for free (not bottled).
- Porta-potties all over the place. Not so many on the courses but before and after for sure.
Cons: - Not all of the lights (baskets or teesigns) were in working condition.
- I know it not the courses fault, but plan accordingly to not have cell phone service here. (It works before you start down the dirt road so it's not that far to drive back out if you really needed to make a call).
- Also not needed, but kind of a con for me since this place is so great for disc golf is the fact that they don't have disc for rent or for sale. (This would really put them over the top in my book, as it is the only really major thing I think this place is missing).
- Tee pads were either short or dirt, but for me this didn't really matter since the wholes were short enough that I really wasn't doing any kind of run up.
Other Thoughts: - Be prepared to drive down a narrow dirt/gravel road with blind corners. (I drove a lowered honda and made it just fine, but it wasn't ideal) I don't think there is any car that couldn't make it, just be ready for it.
- This is a great beginer, warm up, or cool down course. It's a fast round, great for family or younger players... or perhaps a skins round.
- Only need one disc if you have a good alround disc for this course. I shot under par with a Innova Roc in 32 minutes the morning before I left.
- This being the easier of the 3 courses you can get a little more challenge from the Canyon Course or even try the Pro rated Meadow Ridge course for even more challange.
- Camping and fishing available here... I paid $15 dollars to camp on site... it was well worth it since I was in the middle of my trip and wanted to play all these courses.
- I was able to play all three courses after palying Pier Park and taking lunch and dinner breaks. If you have the energy... it's completely possible (and recommended) to play all three courses.

Great for Kids or Warm-up

1    7/12/2011   7/14/2011
Review By: austoroc
Pros: As the easiest course out of three at Horning's Hideout, it is something that a family can enjoy. For instance, if I had kids who are still learning how to play disc golf, I'd have them play on this course while I play at Canyon or Meadow Ridge. There are couple of holes that are over 200 feet, and the rest

However, my brother-in-law and I played this course after playing the other two, and we found the course amusing and very relaxing. It's a great wind-down course for us.

The course is actually scenic, especially with couple of holes that plays around the pond. I also noticed that the baskets on this course has a light on top, and I assume it is for playing in the dark with glow discs. That would be fun!

This course is great for warm-up, because all you really need (at least for me) was a putter and maybe a midrange disc. I used my Yeti Aviar and Buzzz the whole round.
Cons: Some of you won't want to play this course because, quite frankly, it's too easy. This course is where I got a score of -12 on my first try.

Another minor drawback is that many of the tee boxes are quite small.
Other Thoughts: Next time I come to Horning's Hideout, I think I would play this course first so I can at least warm up my arm before moving on to the Canyon course.

If you drove a long way to play at Horning's Hideout, I think it's worth warming up at this course then get the chance to play Canyon or Meadow Ridge afterward.

Playing Under the Lights

5+    2/25/2011   5/2/2011
Review By: forehandfranz
This review was updated on 6/3/2014
Pros: One of the only courses I know that has lights on the baskets and tee pads! This is a fantastic warmup or wind-down for a day at Horning's Hideout. Most of the course plays as an old school pitch and putt (only 4 holes are over 200' (the longest being 245') and will serve your short accuracy driving game.

The first part plays up through open rolling grassy hills with pins placed along woods edge. Then it goes up in the woods for awhile and gets narrower and a little more technical. The pin positions on many holes are devilishly perched on the edges of hills. Will you go for the ace or lay up? Fun.

Cons: Very minor pick - The only problem with the solar lights is the ones that are located in thicker trees = dim sunlight = low charge = low light at night.

Other Thoughts: This course may not blow you away, but I see it as an essential part of the Horning's experience.
I've gotten two aces out of my three rounds played there!

Nice executive course

5+    4/23/2009   4/4/2011
Review By: The Doctor
This review was updated on 4/24/2011
Pros: Great landscaping. fun little 18 hole course with lots of easy shots.
Cons: short and easy. they have plenty of room. should be more challenging and up to tournament standards
Other Thoughts: Good for the novice players. every hole is an ace chance

Imaginative and Fun

1    3/23/2011   3/23/2011
Review By: dgjordan
Pros: This course will have you trekking up and down the hillside. There is great usage of the natural terrain including a cross-pond shot and several 15' up/down elevation shots. There are plenty of fun pins to shoot for at all levels and abilities. It also works as a great warm-up game if you are going to tackle either of the other two courses.
Cons: I don't have any complaints. It is definitely the best pitch'n'putt I have ever played.
Other Thoughts: Could be a great date course if you bring someone who has never played before.

Highland Course

2-4    12/5/2010   12/9/2010
Review By: JR Stengele
This review was updated on 1/14/2011
Pros:
The Highland Course at Horning's Hideout is an 18 hole "Pitch and Putt", and the second addition to this magical place. When playing this course, you have to come in to it with an open mind, as it is not extremely challenging, but is quite unique, and is the perfect compliment to the other two courses on site. Holes range from 130 - 245 feet, and incorporate several of the elements including water and elevation. Pin placements can be challenging and each hole it well thought out. The homemade baskets are durable, and catch well, and the tee signs done by Houck are phenomenal! They show distance, elevation changes (+/-), and any and every obstacle to scale on the course. The homemade baskets also have lights on top so people can play a challenging game of glow golf. Navigation is quite easy, and the course is short enough to finish within an hour as long as it is not crowded.

Although there are a few signature holes on the course, hole # 5 is my favorite. This Par 3 is 240 feet, and has players throwing over water right off the tee pad. Once the water is cleared, the disc must cross an open field toward the pin which is strategically placed in the middle of some towering old growth trees. It is quite picturesque!
Cons:
Not a con really but make sure to bring a flash light. When I played with my buddy, several of the tee pads and baskets were not lit due to the solar panels not getting enough light. Once we flashed it however, they lit up like a Christmas tree.
The Highland Course was the first time I ever had the opportunity to play a full round of glow golf and it did not disappoint! For being a pitch and putt, it was pretty intense, especially in the dark. I wanted to review this course, but would not until I played it at least once during the day because the first time I played it was pitch black. I was amazed to compare my two rounds and see how truly different it felt. When playing, I made sure to bring my Buzzz and some L.E.D's. During the day I just added a putter to compliment my Buzzz. I knew night golf was great but I feel fortunate to have this as my first true experience.

< Prev 1 2 3