North Plains, OR
Horning's Hideout - Highland Course Share
Uploaded By: Adam Schneider Hole #15 (Taken 11/2008)

Great for Kids or Warm-up

1    7/12/2011   7/14/2011
Review By: austoroc
Pros: As the easiest course out of three at Horning's Hideout, it is something that a family can enjoy. For instance, if I had kids who are still learning how to play disc golf, I'd have them play on this course while I play at Canyon or Meadow Ridge. There are couple of holes that are over 200 feet, and the rest

However, my brother-in-law and I played this course after playing the other two, and we found the course amusing and very relaxing. It's a great wind-down course for us.

The course is actually scenic, especially with couple of holes that plays around the pond. I also noticed that the baskets on this course has a light on top, and I assume it is for playing in the dark with glow discs. That would be fun!

This course is great for warm-up, because all you really need (at least for me) was a putter and maybe a midrange disc. I used my Yeti Aviar and Buzzz the whole round.
Cons: Some of you won't want to play this course because, quite frankly, it's too easy. This course is where I got a score of -12 on my first try.

Another minor drawback is that many of the tee boxes are quite small.
Other Thoughts: Next time I come to Horning's Hideout, I think I would play this course first so I can at least warm up my arm before moving on to the Canyon course.

If you drove a long way to play at Horning's Hideout, I think it's worth warming up at this course then get the chance to play Canyon or Meadow Ridge afterward.

Playing Under the Lights

5+    2/25/2011   5/2/2011
Review By: forehandfranz
This review was updated on 6/3/2014
Pros: One of the only courses I know that has lights on the baskets and tee pads! This is a fantastic warmup or wind-down for a day at Horning's Hideout. Most of the course plays as an old school pitch and putt (only 4 holes are over 200' (the longest being 245') and will serve your short accuracy driving game.

The first part plays up through open rolling grassy hills with pins placed along woods edge. Then it goes up in the woods for awhile and gets narrower and a little more technical. The pin positions on many holes are devilishly perched on the edges of hills. Will you go for the ace or lay up? Fun.

Cons: Very minor pick - The only problem with the solar lights is the ones that are located in thicker trees = dim sunlight = low charge = low light at night.

Other Thoughts: This course may not blow you away, but I see it as an essential part of the Horning's experience.
I've gotten two aces out of my three rounds played there!

Highland Course

2-4    12/5/2010   12/9/2010
Review By: JR Stengele
This review was updated on 1/14/2011
Pros:
The Highland Course at Horning's Hideout is an 18 hole "Pitch and Putt", and the second addition to this magical place. When playing this course, you have to come in to it with an open mind, as it is not extremely challenging, but is quite unique, and is the perfect compliment to the other two courses on site. Holes range from 130 - 245 feet, and incorporate several of the elements including water and elevation. Pin placements can be challenging and each hole it well thought out. The homemade baskets are durable, and catch well, and the tee signs done by Houck are phenomenal! They show distance, elevation changes (+/-), and any and every obstacle to scale on the course. The homemade baskets also have lights on top so people can play a challenging game of glow golf. Navigation is quite easy, and the course is short enough to finish within an hour as long as it is not crowded.

Although there are a few signature holes on the course, hole # 5 is my favorite. This Par 3 is 240 feet, and has players throwing over water right off the tee pad. Once the water is cleared, the disc must cross an open field toward the pin which is strategically placed in the middle of some towering old growth trees. It is quite picturesque!
Cons:
Not a con really but make sure to bring a flash light. When I played with my buddy, several of the tee pads and baskets were not lit due to the solar panels not getting enough light. Once we flashed it however, they lit up like a Christmas tree.
The Highland Course was the first time I ever had the opportunity to play a full round of glow golf and it did not disappoint! For being a pitch and putt, it was pretty intense, especially in the dark. I wanted to review this course, but would not until I played it at least once during the day because the first time I played it was pitch black. I was amazed to compare my two rounds and see how truly different it felt. When playing, I made sure to bring my Buzzz and some L.E.D's. During the day I just added a putter to compliment my Buzzz. I knew night golf was great but I feel fortunate to have this as my first true experience.

Fun as a warm up or cool down from the other courses

1    1/16/2010   2/11/2010
Review By: runnaman
Pros:
- Homemade baskets are in great shape and are constantly being repaired and made better.
- Course has an excellent flow, not once did I have to look around for the next tee.
- Holes are short, but some can definitely be difficult.
- Having to throw over a pond is pretty cool.
Cons:
- The homemade baskets don't catch as well as professional baskets.
- Holes are all really short
- The peacocks that live there can be really annoying.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course, along with the other courses on the property. Yes, the holes aren't very long, but it is a fun course to play after playing the other courses or to play before hand to warm up. I would definitely recommend this course over the others for beginners.