Appling, GA
IDGC - Jim Warner Memorial Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #15 (Taken 10/2011)

< Prev 1 2 3
Jim Warner

2-4    4/30/2014   5/5/2014
Review By: Peter S
This review was updated on 7/8/2014
Pros: Challenging with many long S shots. Lots of elevation to bomb a sky roller, thumber or any trick shot you have.
Cons: Very thick tick infested woods. Lots of signs down or missing on Red tees. Thin on next tee signs in some areas & we got lost for a while looking for 2. Thought we had map on us & we did not. Be sure you have it.
Other Thoughts: Make sure dog's tick meds are up to date. We brought our dog who is on tick meds and were picking them off an most every hole. Found one in his paw when we got home. Who knows how many are in my car & bag? I did rate a 4. However, could easy be a 4.5 in winter when bugs are down or with the signs fixed.

An Up and Down Charmer

1    12/26/2013   12/29/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: If there is one hole that I will remember from the entire IDGC, it is 14 on Warner. The fairway runs downward through a narrow tunnel but the throw needs to stay level as to land high on the other side of the valley. In the middle, a wide stretch of shallow water. If there is stretch of holes that I enjoyed the most at the complex, it's 14-18 here. With the exception of 17, that's four holes that cross the stream, dry creek bed or inlet. 18 is an uphill slog that makes a great finish to the course and for me a great finish to the day.

I think in the end that Jim Warner was my favorite of the three courses, and the reason is entirely the elevation. Most of the hills are strongly uphill or downhill and some, like 14, have a heaping portion of both. There's not as much length as WR Jackson, and it doesn't have as much water as Steady Ed, but it has a little of both and it sets it all against a hilly backdrop. In some ways, it's not as flashy, and perhaps it doesn't have as much challenge, but it's undeniably a solid, solid course that knows what it wants to be and comes closer to the goal than either of the other two.

I can see this course being overlooked at the complex. It was an afterthought for me. An if-I-have-time course at the end of a long day. It's the lowest rated and on paper it seems so standard. For someone familiar with Carolina courses, it looks in pictures to be a standard woods course. And it is that, but it's just really well done throughout. The fairways hit that balance of tough and fair perfectly. The shape of the holes is varied and frequently clever. And with the hills, this is just a real solid play. It's the type of course that I'm glad I traveled to play, but also one I could play on a regular basis.
Cons: It doesn't "go for" as much as the other two courses on site. It doesn't have the multiple paths to the basket that WR Jackson has. It doesn't have the length. It's not quite as challenging. And though there is the stream in play, there's only the one actual carry. It's not championship-caliber the way that Jackson is and the way that Headrick might be to the long pins.

The baskets are inferior to those on the other courses on-site. After playing to the blue baskets on Headrick and the towards the yellow bands of the Jackson course, it can be really tough to spot the plain grey baskets among the trees and branches.
Other Thoughts: All three of the IDGC courses are top notch. Picking a favorite is tough. They all have their own unique qualities and each excel at something. But forced to choose, I think Jim Warner is the course I'd be most anxious to play again.

the Middle Brother

1    10/19/2013   10/22/2013
Review By: sgamerp
Pros: As most people have said this course along with all the other courses on this land have the basics plus. Great Signs, Lots of benches, huge practice area, pro shop, grills before the course, maps/scorecards for all the courses and a power aid vending machine.

But lets get to this course itself.

If the three of these courses were a family, I think this would be the middle brother. It's kind of long, but not too long. Has the best elevation of all the courses, but seems to be a bit similar to both of the courses.

Two sets of tee pads(on most holes) which makes it nice. We place a lot of the shorts and a few of the longs to not get to beat up this weekend.

in the middle of the round you get a chance to get back to the parking lot, makes it nice as you may need to fill up water or anything else.

Cons: For a gold Caliber course, there were no trash cans on the course.

Some people may not like all the up and down of the course,

I think this had the least amount of seating around the park of the three courses.
Other Thoughts: The other two courses at IDGC is the biggest flaw to this course as this is just kind of the MEH of the three of them, that being said it's still a great course.

I came down here for a camping trip in the park and a meet up and it was well worth it to fly from Michigan and play this.

A small issue for some is that there is no drinking on the course, which isn't horrible, but needs to be known.

The Pro Shop is great, but for some people may make you spend more money then you need too.

The whole course is for sure a huge destination to come to all three of these, and depending where you come in, there are plenty of nice courses within a few hours.

______________________________________
If you do not like my review, please give me a PM on what I can improve. Thanks!

(Though my aching legs would give it a 2.0)

2-4    9/1/2013   9/3/2013
Review By: DavidSauls
Pros: It goes without saying but, being at the IDGC with all the amenities and other stellar courses on site, is a big plus before you ever start.

The Warner course has the most elevation of the three. Holes that throw down huge hills. Holes that go back up big hills. And holes that do both. (The first two level holes are just to sucker you in).

It also has very clearly defined fairways. Not as tight, threading through trees as many are on the neighboring Headrick course.

The two nine-hole loops get you back to the parking lot midway through the round, or allow you to mix-&-match with the two loops of the Jackson course, or the closest 9 holes on the Headrick course.

The holes are consistently good. Not a bad or filler hole in the bunch. And, with perhaps 1 or 2 exceptions, they're so varied that you don't get to a hole and think, "This reminds me of...."

And the Warner course is perhaps the most scenic of the 3, set among towering deciduous trees instead of the upland pine forest.
Cons: Perhaps the uphill & downhill is a little too much of a good thing. There comes a time when you wish a few shots had run along the grade or angled down, forcing you to land on a hill sloped from side to side.

The routing, while not hard to follow, is a little peculiar. Hole 1 is across the street from the rest of the course, and a few times you walk right by one tee on your way to the next one.
Other Thoughts: I finally got to play the Warner, after playing the other two IDGC courses multiple times and playing the front-9 once. It was a great joy. I was a bit surprised because, just glancing at it, it looked very similar to the Headrick course, but playing it, it has its own, rather different personality.

1    7/9/2012   7/16/2012
Review By: cox3
Pros: Distance, accuracy, and versatility are all required.

Signage was great.

Very significant elevation change.
Cons: No real great aesthetic features.
Other Thoughts: Tee pads were okay.

The course was mostly fair.

The entire IDGC experience was great. I recommend it.

Stop reading… just come here and play!

1    12/25/2011   3/3/2012
Review By: BogeyNoMore
This review was updated on 3/17/2013
Pros: To condense this review, I'll just say:
Basics nailed: great signage, wonderful teepads, good baskets, superbly maintained course. This course comes with all the wonderful atmosphere and splendid amenities that are part and parcel with the IDGC complex. They're not trivial and certainly factor into my rating, but I chose to focus solely on the discing for this review. If you're looking for more depth about the amenities themselves, or the complex as a whole, they're well documented in several of the other reviews, as well as my review of the Steady Ed Headrick Memorial.

• Perhaps the best topography of all three courses here; it is well utilized over most of the course to keep things interesting.
• Nice mix of fairway shapes and distances: straight, left, right, some sharp bends, some gradual, and check out the variety of distances on the score card/course map.
• The view from the tees makes you think and execute. Rather than lots of holes with multiple lines, it seemed most holes had one more obvious line that made me think about how to attack it to set myself up well for the next shot.
• Many wonderful holes: I really liked 12, 14, & 16, but your game might favor others.
• Not a lot of nasty underbrush to lose discs in, but the position and density of trees lining the fairways certainly makes recovering from a bad shot tougher than on the Headrick course.
• Dual pads on many holes for different challenges and skill levels.
• Lake comes into view on a couple of holes, and the stream winds through a few more. The water on this course does more in terms of eye appeal than it does in terms of play, and presents no threat of losing discs. Nonetheless, if the level's up, a misplaced (or more likely, bounced) tee shot it could cost someone a penatly stroke.
• Some may think the walk from 9 to 10 is a bit of a flow killer, but I like that it comes back to the complex should you need to refuel or take a bathroom break.
Cons: Take these with a grain of salt - perhaps more "observations" than actual cons, they certainly didn't enhance my experience.
• I'm not hatin', but after playing the other two courses with their flagged/blue DGA baskets and yellow chastity belts, you realize just how much harder it is to see plain 'ol Chainstars from a distance… in the woods. I sometimes found myself looking right through them wonderering, "Where's the basket?" This course is bound to get a constant flow of first timers, as well as people who haven't played here for a long time. Being able to see exactly what you're aiming for isn't a bad thing. Perhaps Discraft should have colored these Chainstars (if nothing else but to keep up with the Dunipace's, so to speak).
• Some of the blind baskets really have you walking back and forth to get a solid idea of where you're throwing.
• Course flow is pretty decent for the most part, but because it's a bit disjointed at times. Warner could really benefit from the next pin navigational aids employed on the Headrick course.
• You have to cross the road to get to 2nd hole, and a few holes play along or near park roads. Perhaps it's because the park's so pleasant and pristine, roads just don't do a thing for me during a round, and kind of dampen that "away from it all" vibe by sticking civilization right in my face.
• A few benches would have been nice. I don't need them at every hole, but it wouldn't cost to steal a few from the Headrick course and scatter them every 3rd or 4th hole. There's a good chance this is likely to be one of three rounds people play on any given day; help them pace themselves.
Other Thoughts: Beautiful course that could stand on its own anywhere - only enhances, and is enhanced by, the IDGC complex. Wonderful terrain, woods and balance of distance as well as L-R fairways make The Warner course interesting and fun to play, but don't mistake this for an easy round - if you aren't up for a challenge, this can be a frustrating course. 15 might have been the most demoralizing 690 feet I've ever played. Perhaps because it was my 3rd round that day, or maybe I was tired of all the rain that day, but it the way it bends out to the right and just… seems… to… keep… going… uphill… just kicked my ass.

The well wooded, rolling, terrain in this section of the park is pervasive, and gives the course its personality. Specifically for that reason, some may think Warner feels a bit repetitive. Perhaps if this was a stand-alone course, I might buy that argument, and list that as a con. However, The Warner Memorial was destined to be a member of this family from the moment of its conception. The variety comes more into play among the courses, than perhaps it does within them. Like children, each of the IDGC courses has its own personality:

Ed's the friendly, outgoing kid, who's easier to play with (at least to the short baskets, didn't get to see the long pins).

W.R. is the serious child, with longer, more open fairways that require good placement to set up the next shot, tougher recoveries, and pretty much only features elevation on shorter holes to add challenge with a risk/reward variable.

Jim's the unpredictable kid that demands your attention, with continuously variable terrain, tight woods and mix of distances requires you to be attentive to what it's doing to stay out of trouble.

It's only when you look at the family portrait (i.e. play all three) that all their similarities and differences come clearly into focus. While I stopped short of giving Warner a 5.0, I'd have to give IDGC a 5.0+ as destination and experience.

Warner by Kenner

1    2/13/2012   2/29/2012
Pros: 1) Incredible practice area with all of the types of baskets represented as well as plenty of angles and approaches to be thrown. I didn't warm up (because I already played Lake Olmstead and had to make sure I was able to finish all 3 courses) but if I was playing a tourney this would be greatly appreciated.
2) Pavillion and picnic tables are available along with a soda machine outside. There are restrooms inside the IDGA and a couch to sit down on too. Check out the pro-shop while you are there and help support the PDGA through other ways than just your annual dues. Check out the history of the sport and our founder Steady Ed Headrick in the Disc Golf Hall of Fame
3) Scorecards and maps available in the pro shop . . .always a bonus on a world class course that you have not played before. There also is a small mailbox on the course map at the entrance to the course) that usually would have maps and scorecards in there too in case the pro shop isn't open.
4) Nice big sign and map along with sponsors and contributors to the course listed on another sign. I love the entrance gate that you walk through to get to the course.
5) Excellent use of distance variation as a design element. There are all sorts of different distances although not quite as extreme as WR Jackson . . . the distance is a big factor in what you want to throw off the tee here.
6) Very clean woods . . . meaning Jason works very hard to keep the peripheral areas free of fallen limbs and debris. It is pretty rare that you see something that is in play off the fairway and that is greatly appreciated and it helps make the course look just that much better.
7) Excellent variety in shot shaping on this course. There were a lot of different shots off the tee but your recovery shots bring even more shots into play . . . I love throwing different shots all day . . . it keeps things from feeling boring.
8) .Very nice grippy trapezoidal concrete just like on Steady Ed and WR Jackson.
9) Chainstars are my favorite chain configuration . . . could that with the yellow band of the discatcher and you have my ideal basket . . .I just love the way these tend to catch. Make the chainstars more visible and you have my ideal basket.
10) The greens here are probably what elevate this course above the others in my mind.
11) This course also comes back to the parking lot after 9 holes making it easier for those who want to only play 9 (losers) or those that need the bathroom or refreshments (losers).
12) This is simply my kind of course . . . I love wooded courses and I love having fun, which is certainly going to happen for me here. I loved the other courses but for different reasons . . . this course is simplydesigned for my tastes.
Cons: 1) Blind baskets are all over this course making your drive more difficult to figure out. It would help if there was an Innova Dicatcher chastity belt on the baskets but even still there are a lot of baskets that would be tough to find.
2) This course seemed to be the worst of the courses in terms of brush in the peripheral areas. I assume this is partly because it is the most extreme portion of the terrain and tougher to get to with a cart and machinery. It is far from horrible and I have played so many courses that were worse than this so it is possible I just ended up in the worst of the areas on the course (my fault I guess).
Other Thoughts: This course was designed by Jim Kenner . . . who I have to apologize but I have never heard of. Granted, I have only been around the sport for 3.5 years so take that with a grain of salt . . .(as I head off to research who exactly Jim Kenner is for my own frame of reference). Oh . . . what's that you say . . . he is founder of Discraft . . . no wonder why I have never heard of him because Innova got their hooks in me early on and I have not let go since. You can read my blog entry about how Innova won me over if you want by clicking here http://www.thediscgolfexperience.com/?p=69 . . . they did it all with their disc flight rating system so please do not take this as a criticism of Discraft. . . it is simply how I learned what discs did what and it was consistent so I stuck with it.
I know a lot of this courses pros were basically the same as Steady Ed and WR Jackson reviews, but there were also a lot of other things I noticed too . . . so if the review sounds familiar it is because I used the same wording to accomplish the same thing for this course, but there should be plenty of other useful info from my review too.
I would rank this course 1st of the three courses because of the intense elevation changes and some of the more extreme basket and fairway locations. This seems to be the most balanced and most diverse property at the IDGC location. Perhaps this is because I was tired from playing Steady Ed and WR Jackson, but I felt like this course had more variety and was simply more fun to throw than the other two (and take that with a grain of salt because I loved throwing the other two courses). This course is definitely more accessible to beginners because the length is not ridiculous but the challenge is every present to keep the intermediate, advanced, and pro level players interested.
Part of the reason this course is my favorite of the three is because it is heavily wooded but it also features more elevation and extreme basket positions than the other two. It is the most suited to my game so apparently that has a lot to do with how I have rated courses to this date.

Great Time to Be Had!

1    12/20/2011   12/22/2011
Review By: KGB84
Pros: -Large Tee Pads
-Nice benches
-Great tee signs with picture & distances
-Very nice Chainstar baskets
-Good flow to course(You have a chance to stop at your car half way through the round)
-Fairways are just that Fair, yet very challenging still.
-Next tee signs
-Elevation(Ups & Downs & in between)
-IDGC clubhouse/Pro shop on site
-Pavillion to sit under
-Drink vending machine
-Amazing warm-up area behind clubhouse
-IDGC staff is very welcoming
-DG Hall of Fame on site
-The area is completely dedicated to the courses.
Cons: -Pay to Play
-It was raining while I was there
-It's located in a park that is pretty secluded
Other Thoughts: This was my favorite of the 3 courses on the IDGC complex. Stresses all shots in the bag. Believe me, there is a chance to use every shot you have at your disposal. I thought the total length was perfect. Slightly tired at the end of the round.
If you are planning a disc golf vacation this is one spot you def need to investigate. You will not be disappointed.

The core of Appling

1    6/15/2011   8/8/2011
Review By: Olorin
Pros:
I highly enjoyed this course because it has tons going for it!

Design
*Elevation changes- 9 Up/ 7 D/ 2 F. Many very big elevation changes, especially on the back 9. Holes 10-15 offer these elevation differentials: -40, +33, -35, +40, -20, +36 ft.
*Terrain- excellent! But I really enjoy woods courses. 17 Woods/ 1 Mixed
*Beauty- a beautiful wooded area with ravines, lots of hills, and some water.
*Fairway shape variety- Excellent balance! 4 Lt/ 4 R/ 3 S/ 7 St
*Length variety- it's hard to imagine a better spread of holes. 7<299/ 2 of 335/ 3 of 405-475/ 4 of 500-585/ 2 of 615-690. (OK, if you wanted to be ultra picky there could be a couple less in the 200-299 ft range and a few more of 300-399 ft.)
*Water- a stream or finger of the lake is in play on 5 holes and in view on 4 more holes.
*Greens- challenging and well designed. I liked the back 9 greens a little more than the front.

Basics
*Tees- quite long, raked concrete trapezoids
*Chainstars- one of my favorites! These were fantastic!
*Tee signs- colorful, sturdy Houck signs with detailed maps. These are ideal and couldn't be better.
*Rough- even though it's a woods course the rough is "just right". It's not too thick, but it does punish errant shots, as it should. The only places to lose a disc were a few spots near the lake.
*Beauty of surrounding area- the serene drive out in the country builds your anticipation to be out in nature and away from it all.

Amenities
*Warm up baskets- the largest area I've ever seen. About half a dozen various baskets in back of the IDGC.
*Map- colorful and detailed; its ideal. Online.
*Next Tee markers- an arrow on a ring at the base of the pole
*IDGC- pro shop, museum, PDGA headquarters. Everything one could ask for!
*Restrooms in the IDGC.
*Benches- quite a few on the course.
Cons:
Not very much…
-Navigation to blind baskets: you can't see the basket on 12 holes (1, 3, 5-13, 15) so having a map is essential.
-Markers for the current basket position would help, especially on the long holes.
-Navigation to next tee: tee 2 was across the street and kind of hard to find; tee 5 was a long walk and rather to find; tee 10 was a long walk back to the parking lot of the IDGC.
Course Level = Blue (most suited for Advanced players rated 925-975)

~Pay to play. $5 to play at the IDGC, plus $3 to enter the park.

This is a majestic course on fantastic terrain! But just in case that's not enough then there are also two more top tier courses on the property. A fantastic weekend would be to camp at the park and play all 3 courses until you drop-- then play glow golf! This park is a true disc golf destination; it's worth at least a 250 mile drive. Appling is appealing. Make every effort to play this course!

A note about my rating: My rating is a subjective measure of my enjoyment of the course, on the day I played it, and it is NOT intended to be a measure of the quality of the course. My Enjoyment Ratings are given "on the curve" in relation to all other courses I've played.

Look in the "Links/Files" section for my files with Hole-by-hole ratings and a more detailed Overall review. You can also read more of my review philosophy and rating notes at Disc Golf Course Reviews

Warner's Warning

2-4    7/20/2011   7/24/2011
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: The Jim Warner Memorial disc golf course at the International Disc Golf Center is a challenging and fun course. Like other courses at the complex, each hole is equipped with very nice concrete tees, benches, and good signs with maps. Shorter red tee pads are being added on some of the holes. The red boxes are rubber mats which are well leveled and firm. The Chainstar baskets are also all in great condition. Look for the rings at the base of the poles for the arrow that indicates direction to the next tee. As for the layout of the course, expect holes with many trees and often there is considerable elevation change. Combine this with length and/or water at the lake's edge, and you have a nice mix of very tough holes. There are a couple of chances to put a 2 on your scorecard, but just making pars is an accomplishment in my opinion. There are a few very memorable holes also. I like number 6, a long RHBH hyzer shot through the trees, where the fairway slopes down and climbs up again to the pin location. It is reachable for birdies and great fun to watch a well placed drive. Hole 11 is a wild fairway that tees downhill with a right bend, then starts back uphill and turns back left as you approach the basket. Hole 14 is a very nice look from the tee pad, and hole 18 is very cool too. 18 is a long fairway with the basket taunting you at the top of the hill far, far away.
Cons: Too me, there is little downside to this course. Some of the rough can be quite ROUGH. The high degree of difficulty will frustrate good players, and may be too much for inexperienced players or those who have a hard time hiking up and down the hillsides. Some transitions from hole to hole are longish walks, specifically crossing the road after hole 1 and crossing the parking lot between 9 and 10. Of course scorecards and maps are available to help in the pro shop.
Other Thoughts: Jim Warner Memorial DGC is a maddeningly beautiful course. This course requires skill and consistency to stay close to par. Good power and accuracy will be helpful in many spots also. Sometimes even a great drive does not guarantee you will be rewarded with an easier second shot. Eat your Wheaties before you play this bad boy, and don't say I didn't warn you.

< Prev 1 2 3