Scottsbluff, NE
Pioneer Legend DGC Share
Uploaded By: DGtourist Hole #1 (Taken 6/2008)
3 / 298ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Scott's Bluff

1    9/8/2013   9/9/2013
Review By: mndiscg
Pros: -Nice natural setting. Prairie grasses, large mature trees, N Platte River.
-Right behind the Zoo
-Lots of other stuff to do nearby if you are traveling with non-discers
-Views of Scott's Bluff Monument
-Signs are good
-Most holes have multiple lines that you can take with a few challenges in the way.
-This course probably isn't overly crowded
-Lots of ace runs!
Cons: -Can flood
-Dirt tees, can be a little dusty and loose underfoot.
-Some longer walks between baskets and tees.
-Could lose a disc in a few places if it gets overgrown
-Overall length is on the shorter side and the hole length is pretty standard. Not a ton of variance.
Other Thoughts: -A few of the older reviews are mostly irrelevant as the course is indeed 18 holes now.
-This course is easily the best in the panhandle but that isn't saying much.
-I had an enjoyable experience at this course. It was about the right level of difficulty for me to go for lots of birds and aces without it being boring. I didn't spend any time looking for discs or avoiding poison ivy. It was a nice casual round and I woudn't mind returning.

Stop By and Play A Round

1    12/24/2012   1/6/2013
Review By: Nathan Stahl
Pros: Course layout was decent. Once I figured out the direction that the holes went. The second hole tee box is not the closest to the 1st holes basket. We had our dog out on the course and she could run free. I think that if you have an animal that can behave then no one would ever complain on this course.
Cons: Most holes play near the gravel road that leads to the other park attractions. It was winter time so traffic was minimal, but I still found myself near the roadways often.
Other Thoughts: I would love to see this course extended to 18 holes and go down along the rivers edge. That would make for a very nice backdrop to game play.

DG Course in my hometown

2-4    7/29/2009   8/9/2009
Review By: Praetorian
This review was updated on 6/9/2012
Pros: A nice disc golf course with well maintained fairways and decent challenges. On almost every hole there are trees or telephone poles to navigate around. The course is rather open due to its location in a park and access roads running through, but a lot of time and care has gone into the management of this course. I played it a year after the first reviewer and it had only improved. Signs with hole locations are posted at every hole, scorecards and pencils are available at the first tee, and the zoo staff can provide map with the course location and layout. Tee boxes are not concrete, still red gravel.

Crowds are definitely not a problem here, as we were the only ones on the course the first time and one other group the second time.

The first tee is located across the road from the pool/water park and kid's camp with ample parking.
Cons: Holes are a bit short, but challenging. Rough can be very rough as there is tall grass in several places, in one instance 5-7 foot reeds growing on the left side of the fairway on hole three, with heavy underbrush. Almost lost a disc in there.

On a couple of holes you have a lengthy walk to the next tee, but each hole is marked well and easy to find. Really, though, those are the only downsides.
Other Thoughts: I was pleasantly surprised when I played Pioneer Legends. When I'd heard that Scottsbluff had a disc golf course, I was excited because I'd grown up in western Nebraska, but was expecting a course similar to Yellowstone where the holes are not marked and you're basically throwing at trees or boulders. Imagine my surprise when I saw the signs, actual chain basket holes, and cut fairways. It was really a great experience for me, but alas, I was home on three weeks' leave and didn't get to play as much as I would have liked.

I highly recommend playing this course if you ever find yourself in western Nebraska or disc golfing across the U.S.