Scottsbluff, NE
Pioneer Legend DGC Share
Uploaded By: Praetorian Hole #1 (Taken 7/2009)
3 / 298ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Scott's Bluff

1    9/8/2013   9/9/2013
Review By: mndiscg
Pros: -Nice natural setting. Prairie grasses, large mature trees, N Platte River.
-Right behind the Zoo
-Lots of other stuff to do nearby if you are traveling with non-discers
-Views of Scott's Bluff Monument
-Signs are good
-Most holes have multiple lines that you can take with a few challenges in the way.
-This course probably isn't overly crowded
-Lots of ace runs!
Cons: -Can flood
-Dirt tees, can be a little dusty and loose underfoot.
-Some longer walks between baskets and tees.
-Could lose a disc in a few places if it gets overgrown
-Overall length is on the shorter side and the hole length is pretty standard. Not a ton of variance.
Other Thoughts: -A few of the older reviews are mostly irrelevant as the course is indeed 18 holes now.
-This course is easily the best in the panhandle but that isn't saying much.
-I had an enjoyable experience at this course. It was about the right level of difficulty for me to go for lots of birds and aces without it being boring. I didn't spend any time looking for discs or avoiding poison ivy. It was a nice casual round and I woudn't mind returning.

Stop By and Play A Round

1    12/24/2012   1/6/2013
Review By: Nathan Stahl
Pros: Course layout was decent. Once I figured out the direction that the holes went. The second hole tee box is not the closest to the 1st holes basket. We had our dog out on the course and she could run free. I think that if you have an animal that can behave then no one would ever complain on this course.
Cons: Most holes play near the gravel road that leads to the other park attractions. It was winter time so traffic was minimal, but I still found myself near the roadways often.
Other Thoughts: I would love to see this course extended to 18 holes and go down along the rivers edge. That would make for a very nice backdrop to game play.

Pioneer Legends

5+    4/21/2011   4/22/2011
Review By: PDGA Approved
This review was updated on 11/27/2011
Pros: This is the best course that I have played in the panhandle of Nebraska and from what I have heard it is only going to get better. About a month ago the group I was playing with ran into the Superintendent of Scottsbluff Rec. and Parks and he said they are planning on constructing 9 more holes in 2011. It is already a great disc golf atmosphere along the North Platte River with a great view of Scottsbluff National Monument and doesn't even feel like you are within city limits. Best of all for me is that nobody seems to mind that I let my dog run freely while I play.
Cons: They have two pin locations for each hole but I have never seen them moved around. Some holes can become partially under water when the river and ground waters are high although that seems to be my dogs favorite part about it. I might have to take my own rake out there and level off the tee pads.

DG Course in my hometown

2-4    7/29/2009   8/9/2009
Review By: Praetorian
This review was updated on 6/9/2012
Pros: A nice disc golf course with well maintained fairways and decent challenges. On almost every hole there are trees or telephone poles to navigate around. The course is rather open due to its location in a park and access roads running through, but a lot of time and care has gone into the management of this course. I played it a year after the first reviewer and it had only improved. Signs with hole locations are posted at every hole, scorecards and pencils are available at the first tee, and the zoo staff can provide map with the course location and layout. Tee boxes are not concrete, still red gravel.

Crowds are definitely not a problem here, as we were the only ones on the course the first time and one other group the second time.

The first tee is located across the road from the pool/water park and kid's camp with ample parking.
Cons: Holes are a bit short, but challenging. Rough can be very rough as there is tall grass in several places, in one instance 5-7 foot reeds growing on the left side of the fairway on hole three, with heavy underbrush. Almost lost a disc in there.

On a couple of holes you have a lengthy walk to the next tee, but each hole is marked well and easy to find. Really, though, those are the only downsides.
Other Thoughts: I was pleasantly surprised when I played Pioneer Legends. When I'd heard that Scottsbluff had a disc golf course, I was excited because I'd grown up in western Nebraska, but was expecting a course similar to Yellowstone where the holes are not marked and you're basically throwing at trees or boulders. Imagine my surprise when I saw the signs, actual chain basket holes, and cut fairways. It was really a great experience for me, but alas, I was home on three weeks' leave and didn't get to play as much as I would have liked.

I highly recommend playing this course if you ever find yourself in western Nebraska or disc golfing across the U.S.

Right behind the zoo!

1    7/23/2008   2/23/2009
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: Well constructed tee box areas with red gravel, the nebdisc website says concrete, but I think they are mistaken. I played it only a few weeks after they opened it, so anything is possible. Each teebox has a nice four foot tall decorative log placed next to it for maps and information, there was nothing on the log faces when I was there but I got the impression that there would soon be map information on them. The course has very convenient parking because the first tee is located right behind the parking lot for a local swimming pool or rec center.

I stopped at the Zoo to ask for directions and the lady working there was very helpful, she told me that they have loner discs available too. As a big fan of disc golf courses in natural settings, this course did not disappoint. It is populated with huge old cottonwood trees, the sort you would find in the plains near a river. The first three holes are short but the course lengthens up in the end. I would say that this is a good course for all skill types with a slant toward beginners.
Cons: There are some multi use danger areas, near parking and playgrounds. The back portion of the course has a hole the runs close to the RV park. I did not have a map and was a little bit confused at some point in the middle. I shared the course with about thirty eight-year-old boys who were out there for some function and they were super polite and helpful. The course only has nine holes, but there is room for expansion.
Other Thoughts: When I played the course was only a few weeks old. By a stroke of luck I read about its grand opening on their newspaper's website. It was close to 100 degrees and, I drank so much water that I worried I was overdoing it. I took many pictures of this course and they are all sadly somehow lost in the digital world. This course is still (as of today) unlisted at the PDGA directory (Who needs that anymore? Right?). I Guess for now we'll just have to be a DGCR user to be hip tho the panhandle's newest course. I wonder which community in western Nebraska will be the first to have 18 holes.