Alton, IL
Rock Spring Park Share
Uploaded By: fairweather_fan Hole #4 (Taken 9/2009)
Hole #4 Red Tee (Plays up-and-over Hillside R to L to a fast green that downslopes to an OB road)

< Prev 1 2 3

5+    10/2/2013   11/21/2013
Review By: discdanny
Pros: Rock Spring is an awesome, relatively secluded park to play at. This place offers a wide variety of shots with a fantastic use of land and elevation changes. You must be sure to capitalize on the early birdie opportunities on the front 9, as these opportunities are not as fruitful on the back. As typical with southern Illinois courses, this park is also loaded full of huge old trees. This course is extremely fun and can be shot on if you have all of your ducks in a row.

Additional Pros:
-pavilion
-practice basket
-local events board
-Near Fast Eddies Bonair
Cons: -Some odd walks
-muddy trails
Other Thoughts: Very neat course.. A job well done.. I wish i could make it out to play more often

5+    9/1/2013   9/1/2013
Review By: Golden Tuna
Pros: Front & Back 9 loop to parking lot - Great use of elevation changes - Challenging - Fairly well-maintained - Multiple Tee Pads (shorts are concrete) - Never crowded - Great variety of shots - Fairly easy to navigate - Plenty of Shade.

Rock Spring Park is home to another great disc golf course in the Metro East area of St. Louis/Illinois. Just over the bridge into Alton, IL, the park is virtually hidden behind a hospital. It offers a great challenge for all skill levels while offering a good hike as well. There are elevation changes on virtually every hole which increases the challenge and fitness level. There are numerous fast greens on the course, including the 6 & 7 which could land your OB and the "make or break" hole 18, which is also lined with OB along the right hand side.
The aforementioned streets run through the park creating a lot of OB and forcing you to really dial in on your shots. They can be easily avoided by staying in the fairway, but this is a risk/reward setup that really rewards you for going for it. That is, if you make your shot. This can be an easy round if you are on your game, or a horrible round if you're off.
The park is well maintained and the grass is almost always cut, but the underbrush is a little neglected. That said, it shouldn't be a problem if you stay in the fairways.
Despite this being a great course, there is almost never anyone there, so you can always play at your own pace. The tee signs aren't the best, but good enough to get you pointed in the right direction. It would help first timers to have "next hole" arrows, but if you let common sense be your guide, you'll end up in the right place.
Cons: Only 1 pin placement - 2nd set of tee pads are rubber - tee signs are not great - Only restroom is a portable - No running water - Very few trashcans

None of the cons are really that big of a deal. The (shorter) concrete tee pads offer plenty of challenge, so I don't think the longer tee pads get much play. However, they really do take the course to the next level of challenging, so that is a pro as far as I'm concerned. Unfortunately, the park does not have restrooms or running water, so bring a couple water bottles with you. Also, there aren't many trashcans, so there is some refuse blowing around, but (again) not really a big deal. Tee signs could be upgraded, but in my opinion, would really help much as you can see most baskets from the pad anyway.
Other Thoughts: There aren't really many things that could be improved at this course. It is challenging and fun to play and offers a great hike with all the elevation changes. One thing to keep in mind is that this park serves as a Christmas Light attraction during the Christmas months. So, if you go out there around this time, you'll see tons of large wooden cutouts and even more Christmas lights. Please be respectful and try to avoid these items as some of them do interfere with the course. But, again, if you're playing well, you shouldn't have to contend with them at all.

Challenging

5+    4/15/2013   7/15/2013
Review By: firebotter
Pros: Couse offers a variety of challenges for all levels of player. It has a lot of risk/reward shots. Great for fitness seekers as the course plays on some hilly surfaces.
Cons: Course maintenance is absolutely horrible! The city mows the park maybe twice a season. Easily lose a disc in an open fairway (I lost abrand new Star Destroyer on #9). Pro Tees are hard to spot when grass is freshly mowed and almost impossible to locate when grass is not mowed.
Other Thoughts: For newcomers, find a local player to tag along with for your first time out. Beginers, beware of lost disc factor. Pros, bring your hiking shoes.

First Impressions

1    6/24/2013   6/26/2013
Review By: jjacobs445
Pros: - fun and challenging
- interesting line options
- great use of elevation (for Missouri at least)
- directional signs make moving through course easy
- concrete tees (red)
Cons: - tee signs could be a bit more clear
- hidden baskets make first playthrough somewhat difficult
- pro tees can be difficult to find
- rubber tees (blue)
- course plays along park roads in several places
Other Thoughts: i liked that this course had lots of high risk/reward shots with baskets placed close to steep drop offs (especially hole #7!). although the hills can be annoying to scramble up if your disc goes flying, it really emphasizes accuracy on your shots.

the long holes had trees that seemed to prohibit distance drives. more of a minor annoyance than a real con though. also it had rained very recently before my playthrough, and thus a lot of the pathways were muddy. maybe a fundraiser could afford some pathway improvements?

1    2/16/2013   2/17/2013
Review By: donny vomit
Pros: Very fun challenging course. The hills are fun . Pin placements are fantastic. Nice long holes . Love the old cobbled road going right thru the park . Also water on 10 ,11
Cons: Not much for me, no # indicating par for the holes.
That's petty I know but I like to know not guess.
Other Thoughts: I only played 13 holes as it was late in the day , but what a blast I had. Better put your big boy pants on to play here. Its a fun tough course that requires u to be accurate . The hills adds to the challenge .it will wear u down as u go on . Plan on coming back to play again and eat at fast eddies.

5+    3/11/2012   5/5/2012
Review By: Aysizhi
Pros: Great use of elevation changes and challenging pin placements. This course will make you use all of your tools.
Cons: Poison Ivy and a few blind drives that could lose you some discs.
Other Thoughts: I'm very happy that there is a great course in my hometown. Every time I'm back to visit family, I get a round or two in with my Uncle and cousins.
Alton born... represent!

Good Course!!

1    3/12/2012   3/13/2012
Review By: tuber33
Pros: Very challenging course with alot of blind shots, and alot of hills!!!
Cons: Hills are kind of a pain in the butt to walk up and down. woods are unforgiving.
Other Thoughts: i really overall was very pleased with this course, and there were some guys that lived out there and it was there home course they showed us around and were very cool people. i play alot of disc golf and just now made it there, and will go back

Uphill

1    2/27/2012   2/28/2012
Review By: TreeHate
Pros: This is a very easy course to find, the holes are all laid out well, and there are signs at every tee. A few of the pro tee pad's were missing so you had to shot from the grass, but otherwise layed out really well.
Course was completely empty and we were the only ones there.
Cons: Most of the holes are shooting up hill, and there are several roads running through the course.
Parking is minimal.
Other Thoughts: Would only play it again if I lived closer to it, definitely not worth the 45 minute drive.

Not a summer course

1    7/22/2011   7/22/2011
Review By: matt mayhem
Pros: The actual layout of the course is okay.
Cons: Grass is tall and uncut, trees are not trimmed.
There are weeds and poison ivy everywhere.
Unless you are an expert, expect to lose any errant dark colored discs thrown in the woods.
This is a bad neighborhood.
Other Thoughts: This course may be better suited for other seasons of the year.

Rock Springs Park Review

2-4    7/9/2011   7/11/2011
Review By: stubborn puppet
This review was updated on 7/16/2011
Pros: I'll keep some of my thoughts out, as much of it has been said already in the other reviews for this park. I really dug the isolated, quiet backwoods vibe that you get immediately upon reaching the first tee. While my group was there, we didn't see one other person anywhere in the park (except some guy driving slowly by in a car) the entire time and it was very peaceful.

This course was obviously very carefully designed to take full advantage of the dramatic topography of the area and each tee was very well placed to allow for maximum use of the available space without any basket/fairway overlap. I never once felt like I was wasting time between a basket and the next tee. The signage at each tee was well above average for the area and gave me a really good idea where each basket was; which was very helpful since most of the baskets hide out-of-view from the tees. That made me think carefully about each shot and weigh the risk vs. reward of a poorly considered or poorly managed throw - very nice touch.

The concrete tees were very level, of a decent size and the baskets were all in pristine condition. There wasn't the usual mud and mulch ring around the tees or baskets (as is the usual for St. Louis) and only a couple of places I had to walk to get to the next tee or basket were really muddy or washed out(not bad for a woodsy park just 2 days after rain).

If this were closer to home, I'd play it more frequently. My hats off to the designers!
Cons: Unfortunately, for every great thing about the Rock Springs course, there was something bad to drag my personal opinion of the course down.
The first thing I noticed was that, unless I was just terrible at reading the satellite map and the directions, there wasn't really any parking near the course. There was a small parking lot a couple of miles from the 1st tee, but we ended up parking in a gravel circle next to a shelter… where we couldn't find anything in the way of a restroom (oh well, we're all used to peeing in the woods I guess… but the ladies won't like that).

Each of the tee signs lists an alternate blue tee, but I only found about 5 of them remain and they are worn rubber mats laid in the grass. The ones that were there were uneven, unlevel and not really useable.

Although Creve Coeur Lake has often been worse, the grass here was really tall on the fairways in some places and showed signs that it doesn't get cut very frequently. That made it hard to find discs and meant itchy, scraped ankles and soaked socks and shoes. Also, there is a very serious Poison Ivy problem on every single hole. Usually, P.I. is a only a problem when you have to go off into the brush to look for an errant shot - but at Rock Springs, it is all over the fairways, growing along with the grass and almost every basket had a big ring of it growing right against the post. So, I constantly had to stick my hand right into the P.I. to pick up a disc.

I thought the underbrush surrounding the fairways on some other area courses was bad… but this takes the prize. Just stepping 1ft. off the fairway usually meant you were up to your shoulders in the nastiest thicket of P.I., thistle, grabber vines, thorny weeds and every other kind of ugliness imaginable. I usually can tolerate to spend a lot of time looking for badly thrown shots, but on this course, you can usually kiss that disc goodbye. My arms are torn to hell and I've got a rash all over both from the 3 minutes I tried to find the first disc I lost on hole 12. If you find it, you can keep it because you earned it. My other friends permanently lost discs too.

Another big issue this park had was garbage. I saw only 1 single trash can on the whole course (hole 10) and it was overflowing so badly that there was 3x more trash piled up on the ground around it that it could ever hold. There was literally trash thrown around on every tee and by every basket. I don't get how it's so hard to carry out the empty, lighter weight containers for what people carry in and why the parks dept. can't take a few minutes to empty the only can on the course.

Finally, I'll add that this course is NOT meant for the physically challenged. Many of the tees require one to actually hike up a muddy 45° hill, slide down a steep roadside bank or jump a small creek just to get where you needed to be. My group and I were fine, but we're all young and in good physical shape. Just saying for those who need to know that kind of stuff.
Other Thoughts: The course is well worth playing and made for a very thoughtful and satisfying game, but coming prepared will make a difference. Bring a course map for sure (the one found in the DGCR files is great) as you'll need it the first time. I strongly suggest you wear waterproof boots or shoes, long pants and plenty of insect repellant. With some cleanup, mowing and efforts to reduce the Poison Ivy, this course could easily get a much higher rating from me. (Nothing personal, this review is just my opinion… as all reviews are just that.)

< Prev 1 2 3