Alton, IL
Rock Spring Park Share
Uploaded By: fairweather_fan Hole #6 (Taken 9/2009)
Hole #6 Red Tee (plays 250' straight ahead with fade to right to a treacherously fast green)

Uphill

1    2/27/2012   2/28/2012
Review By: TreeHate
Pros: This is a very easy course to find, the holes are all laid out well, and there are signs at every tee. A few of the pro tee pad's were missing so you had to shot from the grass, but otherwise layed out really well.
Course was completely empty and we were the only ones there.
Cons: Most of the holes are shooting up hill, and there are several roads running through the course.
Parking is minimal.
Other Thoughts: Would only play it again if I lived closer to it, definitely not worth the 45 minute drive.

Not a summer course

1    7/22/2011   7/22/2011
Review By: matt mayhem
Pros: The actual layout of the course is okay.
Cons: Grass is tall and uncut, trees are not trimmed.
There are weeds and poison ivy everywhere.
Unless you are an expert, expect to lose any errant dark colored discs thrown in the woods.
This is a bad neighborhood.
Other Thoughts: This course may be better suited for other seasons of the year.

Rock Springs Park Review

2-4    7/9/2011   7/11/2011
Review By: stubborn puppet
This review was updated on 7/16/2011
Pros: I'll keep some of my thoughts out, as much of it has been said already in the other reviews for this park. I really dug the isolated, quiet backwoods vibe that you get immediately upon reaching the first tee. While my group was there, we didn't see one other person anywhere in the park (except some guy driving slowly by in a car) the entire time and it was very peaceful.

This course was obviously very carefully designed to take full advantage of the dramatic topography of the area and each tee was very well placed to allow for maximum use of the available space without any basket/fairway overlap. I never once felt like I was wasting time between a basket and the next tee. The signage at each tee was well above average for the area and gave me a really good idea where each basket was; which was very helpful since most of the baskets hide out-of-view from the tees. That made me think carefully about each shot and weigh the risk vs. reward of a poorly considered or poorly managed throw - very nice touch.

The concrete tees were very level, of a decent size and the baskets were all in pristine condition. There wasn't the usual mud and mulch ring around the tees or baskets (as is the usual for St. Louis) and only a couple of places I had to walk to get to the next tee or basket were really muddy or washed out(not bad for a woodsy park just 2 days after rain).

If this were closer to home, I'd play it more frequently. My hats off to the designers!
Cons: Unfortunately, for every great thing about the Rock Springs course, there was something bad to drag my personal opinion of the course down.
The first thing I noticed was that, unless I was just terrible at reading the satellite map and the directions, there wasn't really any parking near the course. There was a small parking lot a couple of miles from the 1st tee, but we ended up parking in a gravel circle next to a shelter… where we couldn't find anything in the way of a restroom (oh well, we're all used to peeing in the woods I guess… but the ladies won't like that).

Each of the tee signs lists an alternate blue tee, but I only found about 5 of them remain and they are worn rubber mats laid in the grass. The ones that were there were uneven, unlevel and not really useable.

Although Creve Coeur Lake has often been worse, the grass here was really tall on the fairways in some places and showed signs that it doesn't get cut very frequently. That made it hard to find discs and meant itchy, scraped ankles and soaked socks and shoes. Also, there is a very serious Poison Ivy problem on every single hole. Usually, P.I. is a only a problem when you have to go off into the brush to look for an errant shot - but at Rock Springs, it is all over the fairways, growing along with the grass and almost every basket had a big ring of it growing right against the post. So, I constantly had to stick my hand right into the P.I. to pick up a disc.

I thought the underbrush surrounding the fairways on some other area courses was bad… but this takes the prize. Just stepping 1ft. off the fairway usually meant you were up to your shoulders in the nastiest thicket of P.I., thistle, grabber vines, thorny weeds and every other kind of ugliness imaginable. I usually can tolerate to spend a lot of time looking for badly thrown shots, but on this course, you can usually kiss that disc goodbye. My arms are torn to hell and I've got a rash all over both from the 3 minutes I tried to find the first disc I lost on hole 12. If you find it, you can keep it because you earned it. My other friends permanently lost discs too.

Another big issue this park had was garbage. I saw only 1 single trash can on the whole course (hole 10) and it was overflowing so badly that there was 3x more trash piled up on the ground around it that it could ever hold. There was literally trash thrown around on every tee and by every basket. I don't get how it's so hard to carry out the empty, lighter weight containers for what people carry in and why the parks dept. can't take a few minutes to empty the only can on the course.

Finally, I'll add that this course is NOT meant for the physically challenged. Many of the tees require one to actually hike up a muddy 45° hill, slide down a steep roadside bank or jump a small creek just to get where you needed to be. My group and I were fine, but we're all young and in good physical shape. Just saying for those who need to know that kind of stuff.
Other Thoughts: The course is well worth playing and made for a very thoughtful and satisfying game, but coming prepared will make a difference. Bring a course map for sure (the one found in the DGCR files is great) as you'll need it the first time. I strongly suggest you wear waterproof boots or shoes, long pants and plenty of insect repellant. With some cleanup, mowing and efforts to reduce the Poison Ivy, this course could easily get a much higher rating from me. (Nothing personal, this review is just my opinion… as all reviews are just that.)

Well worth playing

1    6/12/2011   6/12/2011
Review By: rstevens77
Pros: Very scenic, remote felling, challenging course. This course really makes you think, especially because you can't see the baskets from the tee pad on most of the holes. Tough shots, at times, and some fun open shots at others.
Cons: Because of some of the narrow alleys you're throwing through, there is opportunity to loose discs fairly easily (I lost a Champion Monarch today). ;( A few of the tee pads are a little hidden so you have to search a little, but not too bad at all.
Other Thoughts: This is a must play course. I'm from the NW and out here for work. I'm hoping to play this again before I head back home.

MOSQUITOES!

1    5/10/2011   5/19/2011
Review By: giddyup
Pros: Beautiful course. It's smack in the middle of an Alton park but feels pretty remote and rugged. Lot's of trees and elevation especially on the front 9. Most of the time, you can't even see the basket from the tee. Good mix of short and long holes. There are a few interesting holes where the basket is teetering on the edge of a hill and one stoke would be the difference between a 3 and a 9. Pads are concrete and there is good signage with A and B locations clearly marked.
Cons: The mosquitoes were horrible. I got at least 15 bites. And the grounds we're poorly kept. The grass was almost waist high on a few holes. Didn't see a lot of poison ivy, though.
Other Thoughts: Fast Eddies is only a few blocks away. This classic American dive is one of the best eating establishments you'll ever eat at! Make sure you play disc golf AND eat here when you go to Alton

Romantic Three-Dimensional Specifications

1    3/9/2011   5/9/2011
Review By: Martin Dewgarita
Pros: An enjoyable round of DG in a large wooded city park with lots of elevation in play.

Amenities. Large relatively undeveloped city park with trails, minimal parking, shelters, and bathrooms.

Variety. Great variety of shots with many technical lines of different shapes, elevation comes into play on many holes with several VERY fast greens and some hilltop bombs.

Length. The holes vary from a few ace runs, to short technical lines, to more open 500+ foot holes. It felt like a great balance of length and technical challenge.

Local Scene. Sunday leagues were posted as well as local tournaments, would be a great course to participate in local happenings. The locals I ran into were all friendly and helpful.

Well Maintained. Some fairways were a touch muddy, one of the baskets was bent up, and there was a bit of trash scattered about. Minor cons for what was overall a clean well manicured course.

Tees. 1 set of concrete that were level and in good shape. The dual pads were rubber and were not in as good of shape though usable.

Navigation. Easy to follow, in areas where it might get confusing there were signs to point the way.

Map/Scorecard. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt here in that the empty box will typically be filled, it would probably be nice to have a map though not entirely necessary, if it is never kept full, we'll call it a minor con.

Links. 2 9 hole loops if you only have time for 9.

Access. Near St. Louis, not far off of a main highway, easy to get to for travelers and locals alike.

Scenic. Nice wooded course.
Cons: *some minor cons mentioned in the pro section above.

Other users. Walking trails and roads come into play in a few areas, not a huge deal - I only had to wait for a few moments on occasion. Could possibly be a problem on blind holes, check to see where you're throwing.

Not necessarily beginner friendly. This would be a fine place to learn and practice the game - so don't let me scare you away. Some long technical holes and extremely fast greens could get frustrating for even some more advanced level players though, just go in expecting that.

Long tees. The rubber pads were often uneven and covered in debris, usable but not the best.
Other Thoughts: Well worth the stop if in the area, I'd make this one a priority.

Morning Round

1    4/8/2011   4/9/2011
Review By: AirMcNair
Pros: This was a very nice course. A buddy and I made a trip to play a few courses up near St. Louis and we decided to hit this one and I am glad we did.

Starting out you can see this course is going to have some elevation and the distances are going to play with your mind. I like that you know a hole is 280' away but you need to throw a teebird to get there. They had great signs at every teepad that showed a route and distance. Since it was our first time I still walked up to see the basket due to the elevation you could not see many of the baskets which was cool. You have your wide variety of short holes and long holes then a couple bomb holes which I loved. A few high lights for me was hole 4, 6 and 7 I really liked where the pin was located. It was on the edge of no return (hill). You had to make the decision to go for it or lay up.

Hole 4 was a huge up hill then back down hill to the basket being about 25'-30' away from OB.

Hole 6 and 7 were short straight forward holes but the pin placement is what gave it its touch.

Hole 9, 12, 14, 18 were nice bomb holes through mature trees that you had to hit your line or you would be getting knocked down by a limb or two.

Hole 9 and 14 were throwing downhill a good distance and hole 12 and 18 the tee was lower and throwing up hill which was a nice change.

My favorite hole was hole 15. It was a pretty short hole but was laid out nice. The tee was elevated and you had to throw a perfect straight low shot to get through the tunnel then get a skip up to the basket. I nailed it while my buddy hit the tunnel.

I really enjoyed this course and if I am ever back in the area would stop by and play it again.
Cons: A few things that I always look for is if the courses have trash cans and places for people to sit. This had no places to sit (my knees are old for how old I am) and maybe two trash cans (that were over flowing) on the whole course.
Other Thoughts: I did notice that they were trying to add longer teepads but they seemed a little sketch so we decided to play from the concrete pads.

I think is course is a great place and think if they got the longer pads installed and a few other these other things in it will be a super course.

Challenging but Fun Course

5+    3/19/2011   4/5/2011
Review By: drwmatt
This review was updated on 4/7/2011
Pros: I have played this course to many times to count and it is a challenge every time I play it. No matter what your style of throwing is or your experience level, this place will keep you on your toes. Most of the holes play very well with the lay of the land. There is also a nice practice basket by Hole 1.
There are very nice signs for every hole with distance and maps.Alll Red tees also have red concrete tee pads.
Cons: Definitely could use multiple pin placements, playing from the pro tees just doesn't do it for me. Other than that there is not much I would change.
Other Thoughts: There is more than enough room to fit in another 9 holes. I know there is more than enough work right now to fix up what we have, but maybe a thought for the future.

its all about shot selection

5+    10/7/2010   10/7/2010
Review By: joy4all
Pros: this course will challange the best of players with shot selections. tons of mature trees on every hole. hills on every hole. a true beauty when it comes to nature. nice stone pads, good markers.
Cons: Poison ivy is the con so wear pants. this course needs to upgrade to multiple pin placements to make it an elite course.
Other Thoughts: deep woods so in warm weather bring OFF

Could be great

5+    9/18/2010   10/3/2010
Review By: ilmcgee
Pros: Challenging course with mixture of woods, hills, and somewhat open holes. Has nice signs and concrete tees.
Cons: Doesn't flow well on front 9. Not much trash, but will only get worse since there are few trash cans on course.
Other Thoughts: If you bring a cooler of beer, put the emptys back in and keep courses clean.