Guernsey, WY
West Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: DGtourist Hole #6 (Taken 2/2009)
3 / 291ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Skinny Park

1    11/9/2012   11/17/2012
Review By: mndiscg
Pros: -Nice Baskets
-Good enough signage
-Concrete tees
-Parking lot, bathrooms,shelters, skate park
-Good length and variety for what they had to work with.
-You won't lose a disc here unless the river is high and your chances are still pretty low that you will lose one.
-The park was nice and well maintained. It appears to be one of few parks in the area.
-I know they have at least one tournament per year.
-Some fast greens and interesting obstacles near the greens.
-Lots of friendly dogs in the area.
Cons: -The river could be an issue if high. It was very low when I played and a non issue but it could be bad if it was at normal levels.
-The park is really skinny along the river. Not a lot of room, course is crammed in there and is too close to the parking lot, river, road, skate park, and everything else. If there were other people here if could get dangerous. On the last few holes, it is easy to throw your discs on the road.
-Like the park, the tees are way too thin!
Other Thoughts: If you happen to play this course, stop at register cliff and the Oregon trail ruts South of town. They are pretty cool if you are at all into historic stuff. Guernsey state park is pretty nice too. I wouldn't drive to far out of your way for this course but if you are passing by you might as well play it. I like it when small towns create courses, even if the land isn't ideal.

5+    9/13/2009   9/21/2009
Review By: bheimbuck
Pros: Well marked tee areas, signage for distance and obstacles. Logical progression of holes, no long walks to the next tee. Good mix of distance and putting challenges. Mach II baskets.
Cons: Some additional work needs to be done for the turf and trees. No huge issues with number nine. The rough along the river adds two problems, the brush and the river itself. Additional challenges should be added to some of the holes.
Other Thoughts: A great beginning course with good distances that will try everyone while not intimidating the novice. The course is in a park that will be shared by other activities, but it still has the run of the park. Most of the park area is dedicated to the course.

new!

2-4    2/6/2009   2/6/2009
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: The setting is a park along the bank of the North Platte River. The course is so new that I get to be the first guy on my block to play and review it. West Park has freshly paved tee boxes! I must have missed being able to scratch my name in them by only a few weeks. There are many trees, more than a dozen that are recent additions to make the course what it is. This is the perfect beginners nine hole park course. It has well defined and logical fairways. The putting areas are a strength here, most in unique areas that present a small but honest challenge. Each hole has its fair share of obstacles. The signs are the biggest strength here, they are very informative, displaying the distance, the major obstacles and the direction of the next tee box.

The first and last holes are only feet from the parking lot. I had the entire park to myself, which is a huge pro for me. I had fun playing this course, so much so that I played it four times. it was fast because the basket to tee distance was pretty short and there is no long or par four holes. Another compliment to this course is that its not full of too many short or too many long holes, the average hole length is 289 feet.
Cons: The tee boxes are small, you sort of have to jump on and off of them as you launch. Because the course is still a work in process there were a handful of construction and fresh landscaping issues. There are fairway crossings and park interference issues. Guernsey is a very small town in the middle of nowhere, I was getting lot of looks and a few people honked at me, it was funny to me to have a town cop drive by and waive. When I played, the boxes to number 7-9 were not in yet, and a few of the boxes still had fresh piles of wet mud next to the boxes from just having been recently poured. I over drove into the sides of the river a few times on two and four and got into some pretty insane rough, that included cactus, thorns and a seasons worth of tumbleweeds.

The newness of the park presented a few odd challenges, like exposed sprinkler system boxes, mud, unseeded landscape and a half built picnic shelter. None of these are really very "con" but I would add that this course, despite its picturesque surroundings of the river and a bluff that hugs the town, it is still a very basic nine hole park course. The only interesting thing about number nine is that it is near an out of bounds, other than that its too wide open. I would not be surprised if the course had more done to it by the next time I get up there.
Other Thoughts: At first I thought that they should have used the land around the park and allow the course to be closer to the river. But I have no clue what is really going on here, I bet the river is much higher in the spring and summertime. I would still look into some of the surrounding land "outside the box" of the park. All of the tee signs have local sponsors listed on them, its obvious that the person who got this course in the ground (much respect to you) got the community involved. I would not recommend driving out of your way to play this course, but if you are in the area for any of the local attractions, Guernsey SP, Register Cliff or the Oregon Trail, you will find a couple of decent and playable nine hole courses between here and Torrington.

I played it four times, and if the sun had decided to say out for longer I would have played more.