Wapello, IA
Wapello DGC Share
Uploaded By: lazy42 Hole #8 (Taken 10/2009)

1    6/27/2013   6/28/2013
Review By: RussMB
Pros: -Open Field Park Rec Courses
-Concrete tee's; Tee signs with maps, distance, directions to next tee
-Beginner friendly, good fun factor, low challenge
-Majority are open field shots with guarded baskets, as well as a few shorter holes.
-Plays back to the parking lot
-Bonus Hole at #8 called the Country Mile. You throw from the #8 teepad to the #3 basket. Its 1440ft in length.
-#7 is an extremely Challenging tunnel shot where you throw down a 206ft lane between 2 rows of trees.
-Very close to the Highway going through Wapello and it plays very quick
Cons: It's really too small to hit it with a bunch of Cons.
-Most of the fairways are similar and get repetitive
-Outside of #7 and "The Country Mile" there isn't much of Challenge. The fairways are straight shots
Other Thoughts: This course was a nice small town rec course. It is what it is; it's small, but it definitely gave me a good time. I like being able to just break out a disc a rip it for long distances. I have to give some props for the Tunnel shot on #7. I managed to go through all my putters and mids trying to get a throw up that lane. It wasn't my day for accuracy, but I had fun trying! Due to time Constraints, I wasn't able to play "The Country Mile", but I'll be back to give it a shot!
This is a course that is for the Residents of Wapello to enjoy. It's pretty much a beginner course with some added challenges. I had a good time, but I wouldn't drive out of my way to play here. It is, however, on a main highway that leads to the Quad Cities, so one could make a quick stop if you are traveling through. If you do happen to find yourself traveling through Wapello, then stop and give it a play. It is a pleasant experience, and it doesn't take long to play.

5+    7/14/2011   7/15/2011
Review By: Derk
Pros: Easy for beginners, anyone whos just learning can go here and practice /play. Its a fun course with many hole in one opportunities.
Cons: The course is over-parred, there are some baskets that should be par 3 or 4 but are at 5 as well as some that are 4 that could easily be 3
Other Thoughts: The most challenging hole on the course, as we like to call it "The Butthole" is hole number 7 and is challenging as you must through through a long line of trees, my tip would be to use the Thumber technique. Overall its a nice course and i recommend you go try it out if youre in the area.

Wapello DGC

5+    3/10/2010   3/11/2010
Review By: buuca
Pros: OK this is my first post so......... I gave the course a 3.5 out of 5 because I've only played one other course. The course is very well maintained, nice and flat. The baskets have a good variety of obstacles around them not to easy but not to hard. Good course for a beginner such as myself.
Cons: I think concrete pads at the tee boxes would be nice. Trash cans as well, but I hear they are on the way.
Other Thoughts: In the future it would be nice to get another 9 holes out there somewhere. I think the park is definitely big enough.

Worth your time

5+    9/20/2009   9/21/2009
Review By: lazy42
This review was updated on 8/14/2012
Pros: Beautiful multi-use park. Walking trail around park. Nice playground for the kids. Open and enclosed shelter. Water and bathrooms available April thru October. Well maintained. Great stop for the entire family. Three trash cans on course on holes 3, 5, and 9.

Easy to navigate, well marked course. Signs are excellent with layout, distance, and hole sponsor. Bag hangers on posts. Discatcher baskets. New concrete tee pads installed 07/12.

Good mix of long and short holes. Even though this course in general an open one, several of the holes have protected pins.
Cons: Park board and city doesn't do a good job enforcing the pet do-do laws, this is becoming an increasing problem as of late. Though the course is maintained well, the grass even after a cut is too long - makes roller attempts impossible.

No elevation changes.
Other Thoughts: Couple of holes worth noting: Hole 4 is a short, 219' hole, but trees along your throwing path, thus forcing you to throw a right to left shot. Hole 7 is a 206' tunnel shot made up of trees and bushes. You either have to go straight down the middle, or a tommy or thumber works well here too. I think it is the only tunnel shot in the area.

This is my home course, so I spend a lot of time here. Usually my young daughters throw a few holes with me, and then spend the rest of the time playing on the parks playground equipment or running around. Overall, this is a great course to come and try, perfect for beginners and intermediates alike. There is even a large wide open area to practice driving if so inclined (around holes 5 thru 8). Worth the stop if you're driving through Wapello. You can be in and out in 30 to 45 min.

Also, don't forget to try the Country Mile. It is a corner to corner shot, using the tee for 8 to start, and finishing with the pin on 3. It's 1440', so bring your long arms.

Nice flat course

2-4    9/4/2009   9/9/2009
Review By: Gflap
This review was updated on 5/8/2012
Pros: Nice, flat grassy park layout where the course wraps around the perimeter of the park. Descriptive tee signs with distance and picture of each hole. Use of trees as obstacles on some holes, other holes are wide open. Variety with distance of holes ranging from 219 feet to 486 feet. Disc catcher baskets.
Cons: No concrete tee pads. No elevation changes. Only 9 holes.
Other Thoughts: Enjoyed this course on the way to NE Iowa for more challenging courses. Takes only 30 mins to play. Liked hole # 7 with tight rows of trees on either side with distance of around 250 feet giving you the option of straight, hyzer, anhyzer or tomahawk. Less than 1/2 mile from hwy 61.

great beginners course

1    6/4/2009   6/24/2009
Review By: can_ravens
Pros: Very easy course if you are just learning. A couple oh holes that let you air out your disc, but not to far for a beginner.
Cons: very flat- not many obsticles except for trees.
Other Thoughts: My family and I are just beginning in disc golf. This is our second year playing. The first course we played was the course on the penisulla in Iowa City. That is a pro level course and was discouraging. So this would be a great course for a first timer or if you are playing with younger kids. Great course for an easy quick round, since it is flat and short and only 9 holes. Also the park it is located in is very well kept and nice. Nice playground for the kids.