Gainesville, FL
Barr Systems DGC Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #6 (Taken 9/2009)

1    1/24/2014   1/26/2014
Review By: reposado
Pros: What does this company do and how do I go about getting a job there. For a course on company property, essentially to the side of the parking lot, this an incredible resource. I'd absolutely love to have this available on lunch breaks.

Some real though clearly went into this project as this little piece of property holds nine real holes. Nine baskets. Nine tees. Not too much crossing. And distance. I did not expect the distances available here. Bombs can be thrown.

It's a really good beginner course, which is really the appropriate route to have gone for the setting. There is nothing too difficult. There is nothing to frustrate the new player and even first timers should be able to complete a round quickly.

There is a little of everything for learners to come to grips. There are trees to throw around. And spaces that will allow them to test their distance. There are some baskets trickily hid behind shrubbery. In short, there is everything to hook a new player on the game.
Cons: However, I'm not grading on a curve, and great as it is that Barr Systems put this course on their property and allows the public to use it, it's still not a course that I would recommend to traveling players. It's nine holes around a small field, and though there are some obstacles, there is nothing that will challenge a veteran discer.

Experienced players will also be frustrated by the lack of tees. I'm ok with natural tees, but the sand that makes up these tees is unfortunate. I ended up just looking for spots of grass in the vicinity as the lack of footing was driving me crazy. Especially when the course has some long holes that require a solid drive.

And I did say that crossing fairways was limited, but that does not mean it is non-existent. It does happen here a few times, and while I believe it's like that most players will have the course to themselves, the presence of even two other groups will make some holes tricky to play.

No seventh tee? It's not that big an issue. Since the tees are basically where-you-want-to-throw-from, I just selected a spot around where the map said it should be.

Thanks Barr Systems!

5+    9/16/2013   9/16/2013
Review By: icandisc
Pros: You remain in sight of your car at all times; you can stop at any time
Really fast playtimes
Cons: Sand tees
Small course means you crisscross yourself; watch out for other players
Other Thoughts: A wonderful addition to the courses in the area, and it's wonderful a private company allows public use of the facility. Thanks!

1    8/22/2012   8/22/2012
Review By: mattdabbs
Pros: The course is well maintained, clean and has a good mix of challenging shots and distance to challenge even skilled players. The shade is nice and the people I have run into out there are good people and very helpful. They tend to be respectful especially since this is not in a public park. A little bit of elevation up and down in a few spots that can make your drive or up shot roll away. That makes for a nice challenge. Easy to spot the next tee and has a nice, predictable flow that gets you back to your car. I also like that this is not a multiuse piece of property so you don't have to wait on walkers or others to pass by in order to finish a hole. The ground is free of ground cover so it is hard to lose a disc out there...that is a big plus!
Cons: Lack of concrete tees is the biggest con. It would be nice if there was a little more variety but for 9 holes they have done a good job with that. Tee signs would be nice as would more garbage cans. All in all, not much to complain about here.
Other Thoughts: This is a nice complement to Northside park in Gainesville. Definitely give this course a shot if you are in the area but play Northside first if your time is limited. Nice people, nice property and will challenge your game.

Barr System DGC is a hidden gem!

5+    10/1/2011   1/16/2012
Review By: debuck03
Pros: Great 9 hole course. Very private and hardly ever have anyone else playing while I'm out there. Great for a quick round for discing! I have never had one problem with owner allowing us to play there. All the holes are relatively close. Not much walking required compared to others.
Cons: No water fountains or bathrooms. This course has dirt tee boxes.

Good 9 without the crowd

1    4/9/2011   4/13/2011
Review By: Zach-R.
Pros: The park is small, but they have used the avalible space well.There are plenty of markers with distance information. When I pulled up to the park I expected lots of short holes and that's not the case. There are alot of holes to let it rip on. There is also a nice mix of sun and shade. The trees add a needed challenge to the course. The baskets are in good shape, and the course was mostly clean( I picked up the two bottles I found).
Cons: The only thing I didn't like about the course was the tees. I don't like dirt tees, they always get dug out as these are. The wooden distance markers are in the wrong spot on most every tee pad. The post are at the front corner, begging a stray hand to get smacked. Hole #6 has a post on the left and a oak tree on the right corner. I was trying to avoid the post and smacked my hand on the tree instead on my follow through. The tees should be poured or pavers laid down, and the markers should be moved two or three feet offf the back of the pads.
Other Thoughts: I wish the retention pond would have had water in it, that would have brought my rating up some more.

Impressed fpr 9 nines

2-4    2/23/2011   2/23/2011
Review By: IGotDisc
Pros: Nice little private course that I can hone my driving skills to keep to keep it low under tree canopies. Even though it's small you still have holes to air it out a bit. Baskets are still in great condition. I work down the road so I can catch a quick round for my lunch break or after work to avoid rush hour traffic! Major plus in my book. I didn't see anywhere a disc could be lost. Hole 7 is awesome! 500 feet to bomb it and a guardian shrub to stop most ace hunter's cold in their tracks. I enjoyed hole 9 with a nice tunnel of trees to finish the round challenging you to keep it straight because there is no room for hyzers for the righty. Excellent design.
Cons: No concrete tees! The tees very uneven on most. Some even have roots midway through that if you're not paying attention you could hurt yourself. Some minor litter lying around even though there's a trash can or two out there. Really? People aimlessly walk their dogs through the course and joggers round the outside perimeter. I was by myself but I can see some holes that are close together that if others were playing you could probably ace them instead of a basket.
Other Thoughts: First hole is behind the utility shed located toward the right rear side of the parking lot. Other than a retention pond the course is a standard Florida course as far as elevation is concerned. A few baskets under oak trees that drop a lot of leaves and can bury your disc so watch where it lands. I could see the sun beat you down in the summer. There is tree cover but so-so. I saw a couple of benches out there. I would rate this place a lot higher if it had concrete tees. I was impressed for 9 holes and will be returning.

Thanks Mr. Barr

5+    2/17/2011   2/17/2011
Review By: Better Bettor
This review was updated on 3/8/2011
Pros: You probably won't have to wait on any tee pads, and that's not b/c there aren't tee pads. I mean you'll probably have the entire course to yourself. I've played this course with first timers probably six times and have only seen one other group. Well maintained with great baskets. Great for beginners: no baskets out of eye site, only one hole that is +500, no water, no elevation. That started to sound like the "Cons," category.
Cons: Short and packed in. It's a good thing there's never a crowd there, 'cause you'd be throwing it right over their heads. The obvious one: tee pads. My rating of 3 may be a bit exaggerated seeing as how there's really nothing great about this place, but whatever.
Other Thoughts: This may not be the shining jewel of dg courses, but the owner of Barr Systems apparently had some extra space and decided to allow strangers to come out and pee in his bushes and toss around some discs. Be cool with his generosity and keep it clean. Definitely give this a go... maybe a warm up nine before heading to northside. Anyone know anyone that has a truck of cement they're trying to get rid of... could really use some tee pads.

Barr Yarrrrr

2-4    10/8/2010   10/8/2010
Review By: DelightSquad
Pros: Mostly Short, lightly wooded, and all together beginner friendly. Very nice baskets. Hardly anyone on the course. On this Friday afternoon that I played I saw one group, as apposed to Northside park which was swamped at the same time.
Cons: This course acts as a walkthrough for the nearby school, so expect youngins around 240-4. There is a huge amount of prickly plants waiting to bite. No bathroom or water fountain on site. Some holes could be dangerous if others are playing.
Other Thoughts: I hear this park was donated by Mr. Barr (thank you sir). Keep it clean!

Nice Little Gainesville Secret

1    3/17/2009   3/25/2010
Review By: SteveHalsell
Pros: This is a nice little supprise course that just popped up in Gainesville. I was visiting a friend and he showed me the course. It's a great quick play and they've done a great job with the resources they've got. I think it's just really cool that the company decided to put in a disc golf course with the spare land.

- Compact design allows you to be a little more technical with how you approach the baskets.

- I've seen much worse baskets at much better courses. Having nice baskets is a huge plus for a small course.

- Nice variety on how the course was designed based on the limited space.

- Hole 7 was fantastic. Totally blocked by a big hedge was a nice signature hole. You don't expect to have a memorable hole at a 9-hole course.
Cons: There are a few obvious cons about the course, but I don't think they could be avoided.

- Only 9 holes, but there's not enough room for more.

- No facilities for water/restroom, but it's on a company's private property.

- No really long holes to just grip and rip, and no really technical holes that will challenge the best players.
Other Thoughts: Overall, if I lived in Gainesville I would play this course as an appetizer or dessert to one of the other two courses. If you are passing through town and playing at the Lake or Northside I would add this on to your schedule. Short and easy to play, but fun enough to enjoy the quick round.

field day

1    3/14/2010   3/14/2010
Review By: stimpsonhoek
Pros: Great baskets. my first time on innova discatchers and i enjoyed them with their bright yellow rims with large black numbers. Also my first time on a less than 18 hole course and this one has changed my negative uninformed opinion to a positive informed. Tees are clearly marked, and signs are not needed. whichever way they are 'pointing' is pretty much where the hole will be, albeit it hiding behind something at times.
Cons: The only cons would be due to smaller size and whatnot, which you can't fault anyone for that. Overlapping could be a problem, but no one else was there when i was so no idea on that one. And the spanish moss i found to be a pain only because my discs don't cut right through it, but one just needs to keep it low at times.
Other Thoughts: Great course for the resources at hand. Keep an eye on the upcoming baskets as you pass them so you'll have a good idea as to where you are going. Hole 7 would have been impossible to see if i didn't remember it from early on. Hole 4 was a fun grip-n-rip from corner to corner. I recommend this to introduce someone to the game or if you are short on time or want to add more holes in after an 18er somewhere else. Either way, give it a try.

thanks to james55 and barr systems