Gainesville, FL
Barr Systems DGC Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #2 (Taken 9/2009)

After Work Practice Course

1    8/12/2016   8/13/2016
Review By: wellsbranch250
Pros: - great to practice on your long control shots.
- a good amount of shade. the trees look great.
- pleasing park setting. there were non-disc park patrons who were friendly.
- the course is listed as private, but i didnt observe any private property signs. the course felt welcoming.
- there were a couple of interested tight angles threw the trees that i found enjoyable.
- would be a great beginner course. absolutely no chance to lose one unless you stick it high in the trees or if the retention pond is full.
- despite only tee markings, fairly easy to navigate.
Cons: - two tee markers are missing. hole 5 and 7. i improvised.
- only 9 holes with no alternate tees or basket locations.
- tee boxes were dirt and sandy. not the best for footing.
- course distance is longer than indicated on dgcr. i paced the first 4 out and got 320, 360, 420 and 500. so the course in my opinion is in the 3100 to 3200 range.
- tough to get a birdie, i consider myself at about 900-940 rating. i didn't get a birdie.
- course is packed pretty tight. although no one was playing the day i was there, some of the fairways appear shared.
Other Thoughts: Don't go out of your way to play this course unless its your goal to play every course. I would however play this course all the time if it was next to my work or near my house. its playable enough to fill the void.

Good place to only practice

5+    7/1/2016   7/19/2016
Review By: Funleavy90
Pros: -Very quiet location. Its on Barr Systems' property.
-You never have to walk far from your car.
-#1, 8, and 9 require accurate shots.
Cons: -No Trash Cans
-Dirt Tee Pads (very bad shape) some non existent.
-Course navigation can be confusing
-Tee Signs missing or distance to pin completely missing
-Baskets have seen better days
-Grass can get long and bothersome.
-Very Very close to adjoining holes, and practically share fairways.
Other Thoughts: I suggest only going here if the other courses are packed with players.

Great course for novice players to learn the sport and not have the pressure of holding anyone up behind you.

I normally only play this course to work on my approach shots and putting.

Perfect practice spot

2-4    10/24/2014   10/28/2014
Review By: VaderX5
Pros: Nice well kept park in a nice area. I never saw any other discers, but the joggers and dog walkers made it feel plenty safe.
- Free
- Great distance for such a compact park; several holes well above 400'.
- Nice variety with open holes, hidden greens, wooded lanes, and low ceilings.
- Hard to lose discs.
- Never more than 400' from your car.
- Great for beginners or those looking for a place to practice.

Cons: - Typically for Florida, there's no elevation change.
- Some if the longer holes require no finesse at all.
- Experienced discers will be bored.
Other Thoughts: Though this course may have a sub-par rating, it's hard to find much to complain about. I was in Gainesville for the week and wanted a place to practice without dealing with other golfers or lost discs. This place absolutley fit the bill. It's part driving range, part putting green, and all woodshed.

1    1/24/2014   1/26/2014
Review By: reposado
Pros: What does this company do and how do I go about getting a job there. For a course on company property, essentially to the side of the parking lot, this an incredible resource. I'd absolutely love to have this available on lunch breaks.

Some real though clearly went into this project as this little piece of property holds nine real holes. Nine baskets. Nine tees. Not too much crossing. And distance. I did not expect the distances available here. Bombs can be thrown.

It's a really good beginner course, which is really the appropriate route to have gone for the setting. There is nothing too difficult. There is nothing to frustrate the new player and even first timers should be able to complete a round quickly.

There is a little of everything for learners to come to grips. There are trees to throw around. And spaces that will allow them to test their distance. There are some baskets trickily hid behind shrubbery. In short, there is everything to hook a new player on the game.
Cons: However, I'm not grading on a curve, and great as it is that Barr Systems put this course on their property and allows the public to use it, it's still not a course that I would recommend to traveling players. It's nine holes around a small field, and though there are some obstacles, there is nothing that will challenge a veteran discer.

Experienced players will also be frustrated by the lack of tees. I'm ok with natural tees, but the sand that makes up these tees is unfortunate. I ended up just looking for spots of grass in the vicinity as the lack of footing was driving me crazy. Especially when the course has some long holes that require a solid drive.

And I did say that crossing fairways was limited, but that does not mean it is non-existent. It does happen here a few times, and while I believe it's like that most players will have the course to themselves, the presence of even two other groups will make some holes tricky to play.

No seventh tee? It's not that big an issue. Since the tees are basically where-you-want-to-throw-from, I just selected a spot around where the map said it should be.

Thanks Barr Systems!

5+    9/16/2013   9/16/2013
Review By: icandisc
Pros: You remain in sight of your car at all times; you can stop at any time
Really fast playtimes
Cons: Sand tees
Small course means you crisscross yourself; watch out for other players
Other Thoughts: A wonderful addition to the courses in the area, and it's wonderful a private company allows public use of the facility. Thanks!

1    8/22/2012   8/22/2012
Review By: mattdabbs
Pros: The course is well maintained, clean and has a good mix of challenging shots and distance to challenge even skilled players. The shade is nice and the people I have run into out there are good people and very helpful. They tend to be respectful especially since this is not in a public park. A little bit of elevation up and down in a few spots that can make your drive or up shot roll away. That makes for a nice challenge. Easy to spot the next tee and has a nice, predictable flow that gets you back to your car. I also like that this is not a multiuse piece of property so you don't have to wait on walkers or others to pass by in order to finish a hole. The ground is free of ground cover so it is hard to lose a disc out there...that is a big plus!
Cons: Lack of concrete tees is the biggest con. It would be nice if there was a little more variety but for 9 holes they have done a good job with that. Tee signs would be nice as would more garbage cans. All in all, not much to complain about here.
Other Thoughts: This is a nice complement to Northside park in Gainesville. Definitely give this course a shot if you are in the area but play Northside first if your time is limited. Nice people, nice property and will challenge your game.

Barr System DGC is a hidden gem!

5+    10/1/2011   1/16/2012
Review By: debuck03
Pros: Great 9 hole course. Very private and hardly ever have anyone else playing while I'm out there. Great for a quick round for discing! I have never had one problem with owner allowing us to play there. All the holes are relatively close. Not much walking required compared to others.
Cons: No water fountains or bathrooms. This course has dirt tee boxes.

Good 9 without the crowd

1    4/9/2011   4/13/2011
Review By: Zach-R.
Pros: The park is small, but they have used the avalible space well.There are plenty of markers with distance information. When I pulled up to the park I expected lots of short holes and that's not the case. There are alot of holes to let it rip on. There is also a nice mix of sun and shade. The trees add a needed challenge to the course. The baskets are in good shape, and the course was mostly clean( I picked up the two bottles I found).
Cons: The only thing I didn't like about the course was the tees. I don't like dirt tees, they always get dug out as these are. The wooden distance markers are in the wrong spot on most every tee pad. The post are at the front corner, begging a stray hand to get smacked. Hole #6 has a post on the left and a oak tree on the right corner. I was trying to avoid the post and smacked my hand on the tree instead on my follow through. The tees should be poured or pavers laid down, and the markers should be moved two or three feet offf the back of the pads.
Other Thoughts: I wish the retention pond would have had water in it, that would have brought my rating up some more.

Impressed fpr 9 nines

2-4    2/23/2011   2/23/2011
Review By: IGotDisc
Pros: Nice little private course that I can hone my driving skills to keep to keep it low under tree canopies. Even though it's small you still have holes to air it out a bit. Baskets are still in great condition. I work down the road so I can catch a quick round for my lunch break or after work to avoid rush hour traffic! Major plus in my book. I didn't see anywhere a disc could be lost. Hole 7 is awesome! 500 feet to bomb it and a guardian shrub to stop most ace hunter's cold in their tracks. I enjoyed hole 9 with a nice tunnel of trees to finish the round challenging you to keep it straight because there is no room for hyzers for the righty. Excellent design.
Cons: No concrete tees! The tees very uneven on most. Some even have roots midway through that if you're not paying attention you could hurt yourself. Some minor litter lying around even though there's a trash can or two out there. Really? People aimlessly walk their dogs through the course and joggers round the outside perimeter. I was by myself but I can see some holes that are close together that if others were playing you could probably ace them instead of a basket.
Other Thoughts: First hole is behind the utility shed located toward the right rear side of the parking lot. Other than a retention pond the course is a standard Florida course as far as elevation is concerned. A few baskets under oak trees that drop a lot of leaves and can bury your disc so watch where it lands. I could see the sun beat you down in the summer. There is tree cover but so-so. I saw a couple of benches out there. I would rate this place a lot higher if it had concrete tees. I was impressed for 9 holes and will be returning.

Thanks Mr. Barr

5+    2/17/2011   2/17/2011
Review By: Better Bettor
This review was updated on 3/8/2011
Pros: You probably won't have to wait on any tee pads, and that's not b/c there aren't tee pads. I mean you'll probably have the entire course to yourself. I've played this course with first timers probably six times and have only seen one other group. Well maintained with great baskets. Great for beginners: no baskets out of eye site, only one hole that is +500, no water, no elevation. That started to sound like the "Cons," category.
Cons: Short and packed in. It's a good thing there's never a crowd there, 'cause you'd be throwing it right over their heads. The obvious one: tee pads. My rating of 3 may be a bit exaggerated seeing as how there's really nothing great about this place, but whatever.
Other Thoughts: This may not be the shining jewel of dg courses, but the owner of Barr Systems apparently had some extra space and decided to allow strangers to come out and pee in his bushes and toss around some discs. Be cool with his generosity and keep it clean. Definitely give this a go... maybe a warm up nine before heading to northside. Anyone know anyone that has a truck of cement they're trying to get rid of... could really use some tee pads.