Walhalla, SC
Sertoma Field Share
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #7 (Taken 12/2010)

great course after getting worked over at shaver rec

1    8/20/2011   8/20/2011
Review By: midrangemachine
Pros: Great course to get your confidence back up. Great mix of holes. Def loved the first hole one of the easiest aces I have gotten only 118 feet. Course had fairways nicely groomed. Great risk/reward on many holes. Also even a small waterfall or two that was pretty cool. Some benches also
Cons: Only really con to me was some of the wood signs were hard to make out which caused a lot of basket scouting.
Other Thoughts: Fun course a lot of ace and birdie chances

one of the most enjoyable courses in SC

1    6/30/2009   3/28/2011
Review By: discninja
Pros: fun, enjoyable, and has a nice water feature,
with pretty nice upkeep. and the holes have some really nice setup.
Cons: people, and the creek can get pretty mean somtimes.
Other Thoughts: you may not want to play right after it has rained.....

Disc Golf Welcome in Walhalla!

1    12/19/2010   12/20/2010
Review By: DiscChainBasket18
Pros: Clean park setting. The course is set off away from the main park so disc golfers is all you see. Easily navigated even without a map. Never once did I feel Like I didnt know where to go next. All shots are included: Long & short, tightly wooded & wide open. Open to wooded shots & visa-versa. Elevation changes from hole to hole. Tee pads are large size with packed sand base. The edges are low so you can run up on them. The tee signs are unique wood design. All info is listed including hole number, Par, Length & a basic picture of the disc flight path. On the open grass holes the lawn is cut to two different lengths like a (ball) golf course with 'fairways' & 'rough' at the edges. Just enough benches to make the round enjoyable. There is a creek that comes into play on some holes. They have a practice basket in the large flat (open) field near the parking lot. New Innova DisCatchers. Lots of birdy/ace holes.
Cons: No course Map. Leaf cover in winter makes losing a disc easy. Loose gravel on some tee pads made run up slippery. Some pads are concrete. I wish they all were!
Other Thoughts: #1 starts you off with an Aceable shot & it keeps getting better as you go! I was suprised at the lack of people. I saw maybe 2 people the whole time I was out there. I would've loved to throw a round with some locals. Favorite hole? #3 & #8. The course is right outside of downtown Walhalla so food, drink & lodging was readily available.

Nice break

1    7/23/2010   12/10/2010
Review By: boxmark25
Pros: This is a great beginners course and i really like playing it. I thought the holes were a good combination of open and tight, long and short. This course really helped my confidence and improved my game by allowing me to make some birdies. I also thought the scenary was AWESOME anytime I play on a course surrounded by mountains i find myself just looking around.
Cons: I did not like the gravel tee pads!! I busted my tail on hole #2 and threw my disc in the woods. I got up and i asked my wife where my disc went and she didn't know cause she was watching me fall. I also love and hate the hole with the creek directly to the left, at the time every backhand shot i was throwing was turning left like a nascar driver and i ended up in the creek. I took my shoes off and got my disc and another disc that i returned to a fellow player.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed the simplicity and ease of this course. I had been playing other courses that were very nice but a little over my skill level. This course was just what i needed at the time.

Fun for all

2-4    11/20/2010   11/22/2010
Review By: billnchristy
Pros: Great variety of hole types and terrain. You get ups and downs, open fields, shots that go from open to woods, woods to open, completely wooded shots, annys, hyzers and maybe even a roller or two if you got the sack. The easy to get to pads are all concrete. Ability to shape lines is a must, if this was your home course you would not be a bomber but your accuracy and upshot game would probably be unbeatable.
Cons: Sand teepads take a little pre work before you can feel comfortable throwing. I imagine on a normal day this wouldn't be an issue, but during the tournament there was a lot of traffic obviously.
Signs could use a re-do but most holes were pretty self explainatory.
Other Thoughts: This course screams fun. This is evidenced by hole one basically being a long putt and the kind of hole where if you don't deuce you just want to hang it up for the day. The field holes are very nice with mowed fairways and large concrete pads. I really enjoyed this course, it may not be long, it may not be particularly hard (but if you go offline...look out!) but man is it FUN. If you leave with a scowl just go ahead and jump in the creek and drown yourself because there is no joy in your life.

Sertoma / Chainsaw Classic

2-4    11/20/2010   11/21/2010
Review By: glenncurtiss
Pros: Nice mix of short to medium distance shots.
Up and down hill, left right turns, tight to open fairways and risk and reward. Couple of nice mowed fairways a la Winthrop. Need to play smart on all but a few open holes with distance and shot lines - creek in play. Great fun for players at any level.
Previous reviews very accurate.
Cons: Work in progress with several concrete pads. Balance are sand mix. A rake would be nice to smooth out previous players ruts till complete.
Other Thoughts: Played in Chainsaw Classic (2) rounds.
Job well done by Adam Wright and all who contributed to the effort. Nice to see opportunities for novices and juniors to compete.

2-4    11/14/2010   11/17/2010
Review By: BennettUA
Pros: This course is designed for the beginner, it's not very long(only one hole over 400') and is not too technical. There is a great place for courses like this. A big plus for this being a beginner course is that it doesn't interfere with the rest of the park -- no bike trails, playgrounds, or baseball fields to try to throw around ,which I view as a big plus.
Very well laid out course, great use of the land. The creek comes into play on a couple holes, but only very errant shots will end up in the drink -- holes 5 and 18 are the only holes where the water to the left can hold a disc, and only 5 will the disc possibly be too deep to retrieve.
Great variety -- I'm a lefty backhand thrower, and I had to throw hyzers, straight tunnels, big anhyzers, and shape shots. The elevation comes into play as well -- some ace runs are made more challenging by the need to control your disc going up or downhill.
The course starts off with an ace run, then a woods shot, then into the open field, then back into the woods, then the field again, and finishes in the woods. An excellent pace so the holes don't get repetitive back-to-back.
The lines you need to take are fair, not one hole is there a tee shot where you think "this is just a luck shot gap."
Navigation is excellent -- very easy to see where you're going to shoot, and wooden arrows direct you to the next tee, and it's easy to follow even without them.
The few benches that were there are short but very nice.
Practice basket with LOTS of room just in front of the parking lot.
Cons: Not much here for a seasoned player to be challenged by. Those with experience will be looking at a lot of dueces, and cursing the ones they don't get.
Tee signs -- there are posts with wooden pictures of the holes, but some are really beaten by the weather and are unreadable. Not too much of a problem as the navigation and layout makes it clear where you're going. Replacing these would be a bonus.
I never have a problem carrying my trash in my bag until I'm leaving, but some may want more trash cans.
Tee pads -- some are newly poured concrete, but most are dusty rockish areas. Careful footing is required for run-ups, but only a few holes really warrant a run-up anyway.
Other Thoughts: We met Dennis(course design/maintenance) and he asked us what we would change as he played with us on our second round. A couple holes are maybe too short(especially 1), but again, this is a beginner-friendly course, so that's not a mark against it.
Looking forward to playing the Chainsaw Classic this weekend!

Fun Course

1    10/23/2010   10/25/2010
Review By: htorbit
Pros: Very fun course. Nice scenery. Short and technical course except for a few holes. Nice elevation changes. Benches every few holes were nice. Several holes where you will hunt for the ace. New cement tee pads on several holes. You will need all shape shots espeically with your mid-ranges.
Cons: Some of the tee pads had large ruts but a large run up was not needed on most holes. Needs a couple trash cans especially one in parking lot.
Other Thoughts: When playing for the first time, walk to the basket to view possible trouble before you throw. Some baskets come close to the creek and it is needed information before you throw. Very efficient use of land. All in all very fun course!

Great Course

5+    9/12/2010   10/3/2010
Review By: JoeDubb
This review was updated on 9/21/2011
Pros: Sertoma Field's DG course is one of the finest courses in the upstate of South Carolina. The rec department is continuously making improvements to the course. Last time I went there were new trash cans and benches. The designer used the land to create a variety of holes; suitable for beginners to advanced players.
Cons: The teepads are still a little rough. However, it wouldn't surprise me if concrete teepads are the next addition to the course.

Sertoma Field

1    9/25/2010   10/3/2010
Review By: 3OrangeWhips
Pros: There is a complete variety of holes on this course: open holes, wooded holes, lefties, righties, shorter holes and longer holes. There is lots of elevation change throughout and the deep/wide creek keeps you honest on several holes. This is one of the better course layouts I have played; the way the designers used the available land results in a very enjoyable course. I especially like the way the course alternates between the big open field and the wooded areas. This results in several holes that start in the open and end in the woods and vice versa. I also like the way that every hole has some sort of challenge, be it an extreme elevation change, a dogleg in the fairway or a carefully placed obstacle.
Cons: Hard to find any real cons to this course, although it can be noted that many of the gravel tee pads are somewhat rutted from being used over time. That said, I can't remember having any problems with the tee pads without using a little extra care. If your disc goes into the creek, it is probably a goner since the size of the creek and steepness of the banks makes disc retrieval not worthwhile.
Other Thoughts: This course was a blast to play. Sertoma Field is a very nice city park in a rural town in the South Carolina foothills. There are plenty of other park activities going on, but the disc golf course is in a dedicated area of the park so there is no concern about conflict with other park activities. There are plenty of gems in this part of the state and Sertoma Field is one of the best. This course is at the top of my list to play again on future outings to the Palmetto State.