Bedford, VA

This review was updated on 10/4/2013
Pros: - Open fairways
- Technical holes
- Very well maintained
- Difficult for all types of players.
- Challenging distances on holes.
- Beautiful scenery
Cons: - Some holes seem redundant
- Could use some completly wooded holes
Other Thoughts: This is the best course in the Lynchburg/Bedford area. It is challenging and humbling especially when compared to peaksview park. This is a great course to hone in on your long game and still have to complete technical shots.

My favorite home course

1    5/20/2012   5/24/2012
Review By: jmitch
Pros: Great for airing it out!
Wind is an added challenge.
Good use of land for course.
Little interference from other in the park.
Cons: tee pads are made of brick and can be slick.
Other Thoughts: Great overall course with very little wooded holes to play through. Holes 16, 17 and 18 are GREAT finishing holes and will make or break your round.

2-4    1/24/2012   1/27/2012
Review By: stoner04
Pros: Unique brick tee pads
beautiful setting in the virginia foothills
Course flows well, easy to find each hole
variety of shots
tough on a windy day
good signage
well maintained
Cons: Only a few difficult holes
Other Thoughts: Bring an extendable pole to get discs out of trees.

Picturesque Hillside Course

1    8/19/2011   8/23/2011
Review By: jaymon1
Pros: Amenities, upkeep, landscape.
Other Thoughts: Falling Creek Park is a fantastic park with excellent amenities spread across some groomed and wooded hillsides just outside of town. The disc golf course plays mostly along an open hillside dotted by cedar trees, occasionally crossing the Falling Creek itself and dipping into the wooded section of the park. Like the park overall, the hallmarks of the course are its upkeep and amenities, in this case excellent signage and baskets, and firm brick teepads that are just barely long enough, or not quite long enough depending on your view or x-step. The fairways are well defined and well maintained, just about every hole plays up, down, or along a hill, making for some fun shots and a bit of exercise, and the creek and woods are incorporated into the course just enough to add a bit of variety and diverse challenge. Disc-eating cedar trees and holes that for the most part favor distance over touch may be negatives for some players.

Falling Creek is not all about open throws over a picturesque course, but that is the main impression. The upkeep is ideal, and the challenge on many holes involves throwing straight toward the basket and staying away from the cedar trees. The counterbalance, however, is adequate in my view, and provides enough balance to the course to make it one of the finest in the Old Dominion. Getting caught behind a cedar tree is not like getting caught in a stand of hardwoods; oftentimes a saving pitch-out is the only option. And while I wouldn't call Falling Creek a long course by any stretch, it does have a few long holes, including a challenging closing stretch of three legitimate par 4s. Thus, while the course features plenty of birdie opportunities for those that can throw long and straight, it also may impose more doubles upon you than you like, because if you veer off into the trees recovery can be a challenge. Finally, the course does include a few holes with either baskets protected by a wooded area, or with tees coming out of the wooded area, and the stream is in play on a couple holes. These features keep the course from being defined as a purely grip and rip experience.

Overall, Falling Creek Park is well worth a road trip. The landscape and amenities alone make the course a high-end option. Yes, there's not much need for touch off the tee here and the teepads might be a little too short for some. The scenery, fun holes along the hillside and down to the stream, and overall experience, though, well compensate for these shortcomings. What it all adds up to is one of the better disc golf courses in Virginia.

Favorite Hole - #17 - plays downhill through a gap in the trees along the streambed, then back up to a protected basket in the woods.

Enjoyable Morning

1    8/7/2011   8/7/2011
Review By: Dudly
Pros: -This course is very well cared for! Big mowed fairways on the open holes, underbrush to a minimum around the wooded holes.
-Good basket placements even on the open field holes, might not give pro's a challenge, but a recreational player (like me) has to think about how to work around an obstacle on almost every hole, then make the throw as planned.
-only time I've ever seen brick tee pads
-Really liked holes 4 & 17...
--4 shot out of the woods, over a small creek, up a hill, and you ideally get through a grove of pine trees for a manageable par lay up.
--17 started about 150 feet up a hill, down over a creek through a break in the trees ideally leaving you near the entrance to a wooded enclave protecting the basket, which sits another 80 feet up.
Cons: -2 or 3 holes on the back 9 were flat, basically open shots at the baskets, in the 200-300 foot range. It seemed like they were crammed in just so the course would be 18 holes. That said, I liked how they helped out my score, and I want to play the course again for another couple shots at my first ace.
-played at 8 am in August, course was completely dew soaked, still was when we left at 10 am. Obviously, beyond the designers control, but players should take it into account when planning footwear.
-under above circumstances I slipped quite a few times on the brick tee pads. I was wearing fairly new Keen sandal/sneakers which I normally get good grip with on concrete but the brick was slick.
Other Thoughts: -played this course, as well as near by Sontag DGC in Rocky Mount VA, with my bro on back-to-back days. We're both recreational players that are serious about getting better so Sontag was a great challenge, but... Falling Creek was a lot more fun while still being a challenge (on most holes). If you can only play one, play Falling Creek, unless you have a dedicated group of experienced players.

-I think a mason/quarry owner in the Bedford VA area must be an avid disc golfer as well as very generous. This course not only has a the brick tee pads but most holes have benches made out of huge single slabs of rock. Very cool aesthetic touch. Really can't say enough about the upkeep of the park in general, it's awesome.

Fun Challenge

1    5/14/2011   6/9/2011
Review By: wkelly42
Pros: I love the brick paver tee pads. Played right after a rain, but the tees weren't a problem - not that slick at all. Easy to navigate -- just follow the paint on the basket to the next tee.

More open than I'm used to, but it was a good challenge for me. Keep your disc on the fairway -- otherwise you may end up stuck behind a tree with no shot to the basket at all.
Cons: The holes are VERY similar -- I have a hard time picking out a favorite, or even a signature hole for this course. I'm used to wooded courses with a lot of variation from the tee, and this was just "throw straight and long" over and over again. I also had a problem a couple of times with basket positions; I would throw where the tee sign said the basket was, but it was incorrect. Cost myself a couple strokes by throwing to the wrong place.
Other Thoughts: The grass was pretty wet when I played, and that affected how well I did. Next time, I'll bring two towels so I have a dry backup!

This course will challenge you if you don't have a decent arm off the tee. I can get it out there, but when I throw it hard, it's not always straight, so I had some problems. I had very few clear upshots, and had to just toss back into the fairway more than once.

All in all, a welcome change from what I'm used to. I'll certainly be back next time I'm in town!

Falling Creek

1    10/16/2010   10/19/2010
Review By: Bamm
Pros: Excellent signage, some really open shots that you can let em rip on. Awesome brick paver tee boxes. They were huge!! Easy to navigate and everything was super well maintained.
Cons: Pretty windy the day I went, but that's not the courses fault I guess. Not a whole lot to dislike about this course.
Other Thoughts: Possibly the nicest, most well maintained course I have played. Really set the bar in this area. Liberty may well catch up to it and quickly, but these two courses make fro a great couple rounds of dg.

Great course with great surroundings

1    6/11/2009   6/12/2009
Review By: Vicarious
Pros: This course was the first 18 hole that I have played. I was very impressed with the layout of the course. It looked more like a golf course by the way it was set up. great obstacles. The cedar trees define the fairways very well and also become good obstacles. The brick tees are quite unique and are very well maintained. Also, if a disc gets stuck in a tree there is no need to climb because near every hole is a stick of bamboo about 10-15 feet long, so you can prod at your stuck disc. Overall there are really too many pros to name about this course.
Cons: aren't many but there aren't any bathrooms located around the course other than the start and the finish. Hole 4 didn't have a brick tee but an all natural tee with has become more of a horseshoe pit than an tee. Very little litter but there was some. The park is shared so there is also a hazard of hitting little ones and adults as well on accident.
Other Thoughts: Great place to play for amateurs and pros alike. Easily the best course that I have played thus far.

1    4/17/2009   4/21/2009
Review By: Razor
Pros: Well maintained in a very family oriented area. I like the cedars and other evergreens lining the fairways, makes you think before you throw. Disccatcher baskets rock. Tee pads look great. I really like how the fairways are mowed and kept clean....the whole park for that matter. Elevation change is good, a little downhill and a little uphill, a little forehand and a little backhand. like the trash cans located around the course, other area courses need to adopt this idea. and the benches are neat too.
Cons: I slipped some on the tees for the longer drives. 1 hole had a left to right uphill elevation change lined with evergreens. that was interesting. Watch for kids running and riding bicycles around in the fairways. Did not like how 9 was sooo far from parking, kinda eliminates the idea of playing just the front or back 9 if time is an issue. restrooms were locked when we were there10:30-12:00.
Other Thoughts: Great course. Only been playing since July '08 and have only played 4 other courses. I'd rank this one as one of my top 2.

Great Open Course

1    2/13/2009   2/26/2009
Review By: Tyson
Pros: This course is a great course at a very nice park. I love this course because I am a long thrower and you can really air it out on this long course. I also really like the use of space. This course has the most cedar tree I have ever seen on a course. Disc Golfers know what an obsticle these trees can be, especially if there is a 2 meter rule in effect. Great job to the designers and park for getting this course in the ground. Also great support from locals. I also like the disccatcher baskets, as I believe they are the best on the market.
Cons: The t pads can be a bit slippery as they are made of laid brick. I played this course early in the morning on a dewy day. The pads do look very awesome, but I would like to see concrete used instead of brick. But they did work fine later in the day, and I threw long without any worries.
Other Thoughts: I really did like this course and enjoyed my time there. There is a course discussion thread in the forum at ElkCreekdgc.info where you can ask if anyone is going to be out playing the course, or to let locals know you will be at the course on a certain date and time.