Elverson, PA
French Creek State Park Share
Uploaded By: zapplayer12 Hole #2 (Taken 8/2009)
Hole #2 gold basket to approach

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Great challenge for all skill levels

5+    4/10/2016   4/27/2016
Review By: PhotoGuy98
Pros: Multiple pin positions for all skill levels, technical, a wide variety of fairways (uphill, downhill, dogleg left, dogleg right, tunnel, low ceiling), peaceful location, scenic, well maintained, nice tee pads/baskets.
Cons: Course can be frustrating and unforgiving for some, poor cell phone service!
Other Thoughts: This is a great course for those looking for a technical challenge. Placement is the key here. The club does a great job on the upkeep and holding tournaments. Although this is a great course, I still miss the old courses.

Great getting better

5+    4/13/2016   4/14/2016
Review By: Brandon Ottaviano
Pros: The course is a tournament style course. Single rubber tee pads on packed types of gravel which are never muddy, slick, or slippery. They drain very well and the maintenance is top notch. There are two baskets per hole, silver "short", and gold "long", which gives a great variety of options for all playing skills. It is a tight wooded course, but there are plenty of fairways, lanes, and approach shots, so do not be deterred. there have been many improvements to help enjoy your round. There are next tee signs under each basket which helps at this place as the next tees are not directly next to the last basket every time. There are brooms at every tee pad to clean them before throwing which is a great idea due to dirt, stones, and leaves in the fall. At the kiosk at hole one, there is a box with score cards, and each one has a map of the course on the reverse side. Very little, if no trash at all, which only shows the type of volunteers that come through on a regular basis. The round plays in basically three loops, 1-7 / 8-12 / 13-18. Top notch course. There are benches scattered throughout to rest when needed.
Cons: Signage at the park office and in is needed to show where to go inside the park to easily get to hole one, but a local club member said they are working with the Sate Park on that. The walk from 7 to 8 is not far but is up a decent hill. The walk from 18 back to 1 is a BIG parking lot with a hill, as the course plays over a very large portion of the park. if you carpool, have someone park at 18 so they can drive back to your car at 1.
Other Thoughts: This course is what it is billed as, a PRO Style Disc Golf Course!

Awesomely relentless!

1    2/22/2016   2/23/2016
Review By: Zunz
This review was updated on 3/29/2016
Pros: Amazing tee pads
Great tee signs
Nice flow
Cons: The walk back up the hill to where I parked by hole 1.
Other Thoughts: I played my round early in the morning the day after a tournament in late February... The course was in perfect condition. I have never seen flymat tee pads looking so perfect. The upkeep of this course is top notch, the paths between basket and tee were clear and some even seemed 'decorated' with lined up stones.
I'm a rec/am level player and didn't find anything about this course to be unfair or impossible, but it is relentless! I played the gold pins and the only time I felt in any way frustrated by this course was when I parked the silver basket with my drive, my scorecard would have looked A LOT better with all those birds on it. With that said, these are some of the tightest fairways I have ever seen and they just keep coming.

Holes 1 & 2 play down and then back up a pretty steep slope. I was a little concerned that this might be foreshadowing of the entire day, but was happy to see the elevation changes were a little more gradual over the next 16. I don't mind throwing the ups and downs (love throwing the downs), but it would have made for a tough hike.

Hole 3 is about as open as it gets here, almost 900' along what was probably a fire road with a steep drop off to the left. My second throw missed the fairway right, I was only about ten or fifteen feet out and when I say I had no shot to even get back to the fairway, I mean I had NO shot! I threw horizontally to the fairway giving up a shot just to get back and it still took me 2 throws to get out! Behind that wall though, the rough is wide open, I had no trouble finding my disc and my movement to throw was unrestricted, there's just no clean way to get back to the fairway... It's damn impressive! Eventually the fairway turns gradually left and goes downhill to a basket tucked off to the right inviting one of the coolest forehands I've ever thrown.

Hole 4 is might be the longest, tightest perfectly straight fairway I've ever thrown (after the initial curvy bit off the tee). After 4 or 5 throws and still having half the hole left, I finally realized what kind of course this was going to be and I pulled out my star leopard (the only premium plastic I had with me and a straight flier that will hold whatever line I put it on) and pretty much threw it for the rest of the day.

Hole 8 is farther up the hill than it looks on the map (just keep following the road)

There were a couple of times on the back 9 that I had to look at the map to find the next tee, but nothing that took more than half a minute to figure out.

Final thoughts: This course is rocky! Wear good shoes. Don't bring the cheap plastic, I did and several of my discs were a lot less stable after my round. This is a Great course if you like tight throwing lanes with a major premium placed on accuracy. I would say based on the tightness of the fairways and how thick the forest is around them that this is not a beginner friendly course. But if you're up for a challenge, this course is on par with some of the best I've played. I don't think a course needs big open holes peppered in to be considered a 'great' course, French Creek is tightly wooded and unapologetic about it. I thoroughly enjoyed my round and will certainly be back. I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like in the summer when the lines get even smaller and errant shots wont make it through like they were today. I'm giving it 4 discs after one time around, I have a feeling that will go up after I play here a few more times and also see what this park is really like with the pool open and a concession stand after 18 so I can fuel up for the hike back up to where I parked... or more likely, another round on this awesome course!

Edit: I played another round and a half at French Creek this week and I'm already bumping my review up to that 4.5 just based on how great this course is. I wish I lived closer!

One of my All Time Favorites

5+    7/10/2015   7/19/2015
Review By: beardlikeabe
This review was updated on 7/23/2015
Pros: Overall, this course is amazing.

This course has a great deal of diversity and some elevation. There just a few open holes, however majority are wooded.

-The tee-boxes are in amazing condition. The rubber pad is virtually brand new and provides excellent traction for driving. On each of the tee-box markers, there is a broom handy to brush off any debris. These were the first thing I noticed and its always really nice to not have to worry about footing off the tee.

- There are multiple pins (silver/gold) for additional difficulty if desired. Par information can be found on each tee-box for the different pin placements.

-The baskets are in great condition and have crisp yellow paint to guide you through the course.

-The navigation was OK. Hole 1-8 are extremely easy to follow but 9-18 was a bit more challenging. Not a "Con" but I wanted to be clear that we followed the map and had no issues, but if you do not have a map you could get turned around easy.

-I really liked the diversity in length and shape of the holes. Some were really straight narrow and wooded, while others were of the dog-leg variety.

-RHBH Players: this is definitely a course you want to check out. There are several really straight holes that just finish to the left. A nice long hyzer and you are dropping the disc in the basket for a bird.
Cons: -If you have never played the course before, a few of the holes can get confusing but download the course map here and you will be just fine.

-Wish there were a few more open holes to just break the course up a bit. I played this course back in 2005 and it was a bit different since it has been redone.

- Should be a few other signs near the main park to show where the course starts. Once you find the swimming pool its really easy to locate. (top left corner if you are standing in the pool facing the parking lot)

Newer Review to Show Course Progress

1    7/2/2015   7/6/2015
Review By: wookieebeck
Pros: Teeboxes look brand new. Very nicely maintained. Good new signs with both baskets easy to find. Download the course map from DGCR and you are all set.
There is one teepad and two baskets per hole (long and short). Fun to play.
Cons: Rocks. Not just mountain stones (which there are alot of), but the grushed gravel in the fairways is not cool. To keep the weeds down, mulch would have been better here. Giving your discs road rash on every throw is just not right.
Other Thoughts: It is the woods. Getting off of the fairway can lead to some thick underbrush.
Very pleasantly surprised with the cleanliness and upkeep. I will make many return visits.

Beginner's Perspective

1    5/17/2015   5/17/2015
Review By: xjwigluszx
Pros: The course is really well maintained and have good tee pads. Being almost entirely in the woods makes for a very fun and scenic round. Another positive is that despite being heavily wooded, French Creek lacks the brush and bushes making disc finding relatively easy. Also some fun variations of holes with some fun hills both up and down early on. Fun enough to offset the frustrating aspect of the difficulty level.
Cons: The biggest con about French Creek is the lack of directions after holing out. If not for playing with an experienced friend, I may still be looking for hole 8. Only other real complaint is the 'silver" baskets are sometime hard to locate from the teebox, the simple orange tape around the post isn't always enough and you really have to look. Not an actual con, but as a beginner this course is very challenging. Some holes can be downright frustrating.
Other Thoughts: This is a really technical course that's really hard to negotiate. But despite the frustration from playing, the course is a lot of fun to play, even as a beginner... because your more experienced friends will probably be slamming trees as well. Definitely go out with someone whose played before to work as a guide because the next tee isn't always given.

French Creek

2-4    5/8/2014   5/15/2014
Review By: patlgn
Pros: Varied, challenging course. Lots of woods and distance. Pretty well laid out, easy to navigate.
Cons: While the woods can make for a fun course, they can also make for an unpleasant experience for newcomers that simply don't have the accuracy for long, tight fairways.

Also, the course is kind of hard to find, especially with the old signs.
Other Thoughts: Not bad, could be loads better though.

Super challenging for new player

1    4/13/2014   4/17/2014
Review By: revans1009
Pros: Super technical and doesn't take a big arm to be effective.
Beautiful area and vast layout were extremely well maintained.

Silver and gold baskets play like two different courses and offer variable layouts, keeping it very interesting.
Cons: Super technical. Yes, pro and con. You simply have to focus on clean technique as trees abound everywhere.
I would have been completely lost from hole to hole if not for a great group of others leading the way.
Other Thoughts: This was a very tough outing for me personally but I really appreciated the course.

Good course

2-4    3/22/2014   3/25/2014
Review By: Dublicious
Pros: Technical holes. Seems to be well maintained. Tee box markings are super useful. Brooms on tee pads are a nice touch. Quite challenging but not really cheap. If you're good enough you can expect to make the shots (I can't).
Cons: Exactly 0 open holes. Not always clear where you're going after holing out (easier on silver, seems like gold was an afterthought).
Other Thoughts: This course is a lot of fun. If you're in the area you've definitely got to get here once or twice. Hole 3 is SUPER long and it's easy to lose your disc down a hill to the left. Be careful and/or prepare to look for ages.

Almost entirely positive

1    11/17/2013   11/17/2013
Review By: Improbably
Pros: This course requires both accuracy and distance on every single hole. That's a good thing.
Cons: I hate flymats! I can't stand flymats! I loathe flymats! All kinds of flymats! I hate black flymats! I hate green flymats! I hate flymats with brooms! I hate flymats without brooms! I hate them sanctioned and non-sanctioned! I hate flymats in bunches, one at a time, or playing in groups of twos and threes! I hate flymats!
Other Thoughts: Parking situation is unfortunate in off season. I blame DNCR the course designers routed it well.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5