Elverson, PA
French Creek State Park Share
Uploaded By: zapplayer12 Hole #3 (Taken 8/2009)
Hole #3 Gold Basket to Tee

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Beginner's Perspective

1    5/17/2015   5/17/2015
Review By: xjwigluszx
Pros: The course is really well maintained and have good tee pads. Being almost entirely in the woods makes for a very fun and scenic round. Another positive is that despite being heavily wooded, French Creek lacks the brush and bushes making disc finding relatively easy. Also some fun variations of holes with some fun hills both up and down early on. Fun enough to offset the frustrating aspect of the difficulty level.
Cons: The biggest con about French Creek is the lack of directions after holing out. If not for playing with an experienced friend, I may still be looking for hole 8. Only other real complaint is the 'silver" baskets are sometime hard to locate from the teebox, the simple orange tape around the post isn't always enough and you really have to look. Not an actual con, but as a beginner this course is very challenging. Some holes can be downright frustrating.
Other Thoughts: This is a really technical course that's really hard to negotiate. But despite the frustration from playing, the course is a lot of fun to play, even as a beginner... because your more experienced friends will probably be slamming trees as well. Definitely go out with someone whose played before to work as a guide because the next tee isn't always given.

French Creek

2-4    5/8/2014   5/15/2014
Review By: patlgn
Pros: Varied, challenging course. Lots of woods and distance. Pretty well laid out, easy to navigate.
Cons: While the woods can make for a fun course, they can also make for an unpleasant experience for newcomers that simply don't have the accuracy for long, tight fairways.

Also, the course is kind of hard to find, especially with the old signs.
Other Thoughts: Not bad, could be loads better though.

Super challenging for new player

1    4/13/2014   4/17/2014
Review By: revans1009
Pros: Super technical and doesn't take a big arm to be effective.
Beautiful area and vast layout were extremely well maintained.

Silver and gold baskets play like two different courses and offer variable layouts, keeping it very interesting.
Cons: Super technical. Yes, pro and con. You simply have to focus on clean technique as trees abound everywhere.
I would have been completely lost from hole to hole if not for a great group of others leading the way.
Other Thoughts: This was a very tough outing for me personally but I really appreciated the course.

Good course

2-4    3/22/2014   3/25/2014
Review By: Dublicious
Pros: Technical holes. Seems to be well maintained. Tee box markings are super useful. Brooms on tee pads are a nice touch. Quite challenging but not really cheap. If you're good enough you can expect to make the shots (I can't).
Cons: Exactly 0 open holes. Not always clear where you're going after holing out (easier on silver, seems like gold was an afterthought).
Other Thoughts: This course is a lot of fun. If you're in the area you've definitely got to get here once or twice. Hole 3 is SUPER long and it's easy to lose your disc down a hill to the left. Be careful and/or prepare to look for ages.

Almost entirely positive

1    11/17/2013   11/17/2013
Review By: Improbably
Pros: This course requires both accuracy and distance on every single hole. That's a good thing.
Cons: I hate flymats! I can't stand flymats! I loathe flymats! All kinds of flymats! I hate black flymats! I hate green flymats! I hate flymats with brooms! I hate flymats without brooms! I hate them sanctioned and non-sanctioned! I hate flymats in bunches, one at a time, or playing in groups of twos and threes! I hate flymats!
Other Thoughts: Parking situation is unfortunate in off season. I blame DNCR the course designers routed it well.

Seasoned Disc's after 18 holes

2-4    8/26/2013   9/9/2013
Review By: Fishfood
Pros: 18 holes of wooded elevation change, dual baskets on most holes, rubber tee pads, good tee signage, bring your seasoned discs, b/c if they aint chewed up....they will be after a couple rounds..it's rocky.
Brooms at every tee pad...two thumbs up!
I had a blast playing here while camping at French Creek Campground. Well worth taking a trip to this fine PA park.
Cons: First time I played here I had a hell of a time figuring out where the next hole was when playing the long baskets. I don't think there was any signs directing you where to go. Even log lined paths would be helpful.
Other Thoughts: Great course and fun to play multiple rounds. Besides disc golf, this park offers many activities for the family, so if they don't play, there's so many other activities to suit their fancy.

Poison Ivy

2-4    8/1/2013   8/10/2013
Review By: Nathan Stahl
Pros: This course will make you appreciate the open courses a little more. Very well marked tee boxes with signs to guide play to the baskets. Every hole has two baskets to play, silver (short distance) and gold (long distance). The silver markings on the baskets are hard to see, but they are all present. We played both the silver and gold baskets in different days. The gold will make you work and adds at least an hour to your time on the course. The under brush is kept down by the amount of tree cover, so finding a disk off course is easy. But getting back on course is normally difficult. Great course for a sunny day with the amount of tree cover you do not need sun block.
Cons: Watch out for the poison ivy. We saw most of it and tried to steer clear, but I still ended up with some on my lower leg. To make the perfect course there needs to be next tee signs. I had the map to help guide me to the next tee box, with out the map some of the tees can be hard to find.
Other Thoughts: It was a load of fun and will make you a better controlled disk golfer. If you love to play long holes then the gold is your game. The gold 3rd basket is marked at over 900 feet and I think that is even short. It would be nice to have one open throw throughout play, but I guess I could get that at most other courses.

French Creek is worth checking out

1    7/12/2013   7/15/2013
Review By: Abrigh1
Pros: -If you are into wooded courses that require accuracy this is your course, only a few open shots
-Nice baskets
-Tee pads at every hole
-Rarely crowded except on Wednesday afternoons and Sunday mornings when they have leagues going on
-Signage is great and easy to follow
-Two baskets for each hole (silver and gold to play, the longer gold holes make this is a very long round)
-Even though it is in the woods the area off the fairways isn't too think so as long as you watch where you throw (few blind shots) you shouldn't get too torn up or lose a disc. I play here once a week and have never lost one even with throws over 300 feet
-Challenging course
Cons: -Hardly any to speak of. This is a great course that will make you a better player. After playing this course it will make open courses seem so much easier.
-Long walk from #7 to #8 and from #18 back to your car, but hey it's good exercise right?
Other Thoughts: I recommend the use of tomahawk throws here. They really cut down on the number of trees you will hit. The first time playing this course can be frustrating, but once you know where to throw to and aim at, it gets alot more fun. Overall one of the best courses in the state of PA.

Pardon my French

1    5/26/2013   5/31/2013
Review By: sidewinder22
Pros: 18 heavily wooded holes with nice dual tees and baskets providing a variety of distances and challenge of left, right and straight shots. The available elevation is well utilized. Surprisingly little underbrush for such a wooded course. Great signage and navigation for the most part. Seems to be well maintained and gets a good amount play from beginners to seasoned vets. Disc golf only area of park. Bathrooms and water in parking lot by pool.
Cons: Not much. A couple chuck and hope shots off the long tees. A few holes play a little close to roads, and other holes. Poison Ivy rough on a couple of the back 9 holes.
Other Thoughts: I had a bon moment(french for good time) during my round on the long layout at French Creek. The state park is fairly big and has lots of other fun activities, and the course is in it's own secluded area for the most part. Hole 3 was my favorite. There is everything from an ace run to hope I get a 5. Off the fairway is tough to make any recovery shots from and the fairways aren't very big to begin with, but finding discs off the fairway wasn't much a issue. If you don't like playing in the woods you'll think the French are a-holes. There is some repetitiveness being in the woods the entire time and not much room to air anything out. Control and staying in the fairway is the name of the game. I was a little surprised there wasn't much elevation on the course, but there's not much that can done about the land provided. A little tricky finding hole 1 and 8, but after that it's smooth sailing from hole to hole for the most part. I don't recall any long walks playing the long layout, most were fairly close. The GPS coordinates on here took me to the lake not the course. Follow signs all the way to the pool and park there, then walk uphill to the far corner of the lot for hole 1. I'd recommend Frenchy to anybody that likes the woods and with Camp Sankanac fairly close it makes a pretty sweet duo to play when you can.

Good course to play

1    5/18/2013   5/22/2013
Review By: kafbucks
Pros: Nice Course good. Good layout. Some parts were really challenging. Nice bright yellow signs for the holes lead me right to the next one every time so navigating through the course isn't that bad. There are two holes a silver for more casual or amatures, and there are gold holes for better players or pros.
Cons: Where there's good there's usually some bad and this course is no different. In other reviews some users made the point that there isn't much variety in the holes well that's unfortunately true, it's a very nice course just be prepared to hike through woods...woods and well more woods, I would've liked to see some variety like hills or water for a better challenge. Also that was the second time I went french creek for disc golf, but the first time I couldn't find the course at all, I went to the office to ask but they were closed for the day. I had trouble finding it this time as well and when I went to the park office again they were closed, but the hours said they were open from 8 am to 4 pm, I arrived at 10:30 am, not really a fault on the course, more so a fault against the park. I did finally find the course, if you go though just keep in mind you go down the road to the right of the office and follow that about a mile or 2 down and you'll see the first hole on the right. So they should add some signs for cars pointing to the disc golf course because they have signs for almost everything else except disc golf, they do have disc golf on the map, but it doesn't really help because that's where the course was before they moved it. Also signs to the next tee would be nice, I know I said navigating through the course wasn't so bad but there were some holes that I had trouble finding like # 8 the next tee is usually somewhere near the gold hole but that one wasn't even close. Lastly and this really isn't a major problem, but I can't ignore it either. on the holes I didn't see what the par was on any of them. They could be there and I just didn't see them so that didn't effect the rating, however there were also no score cards and that would've definitely been nice to have that and a map of the course layout on the back.
Other Thoughts: Overall this isn't a bad course. It's good for beginners and pros. but if your a beginner or intermediate like me i'd suggest playing the silver first to get to know the course, because at some holes the gold isn't far off from the silver, but in others its a major difference. (hole 3 for example has about 250' to the silver and over 900' to the gold) oh and also when you play this course you may want to park on the other side of the parking lot from hole 1, because 18 is way over there and nowhere close to hole one. However if you enjoy long walks you wont have a problem

< Prev 1 2 3 4