Boerne, TX
Boerne City Lake Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: dgdoctor Hole #3 (Taken 3/2009)
Tee # 3 Long Box

Challenging Course

1    4/13/2013   1/27/2014
Review By: DPGRAY1962
Pros: Very challenging course with a variety of fairways and lots of trees. Beautiful area with a lake along part of the course.
Cons: You must pay an entrance fee for the park on the weekend. The park itself can be crowded so there may be people walking along or crossing fairways.
Other Thoughts: There is a great potential for lost discs due to the large number of trees and thick underbrush. I lost a disc in a group of trees even though both I and the other player I was with saw the area it landed in.

Little gem

2-4    11/20/2013   1/14/2014
Review By: Mako8
Pros: This course has great signage is very easy to find. Fairways were mowed and in great shape when I played. Quality DISCatcher baskets were in good shape and come in handy on some long shots as they are highly visible. Gorgeous setting with beautiful views. Good mix of long and short shots as well as hyzer and annhyzer. The use of land is great and the course is set well in and around the trees.
Cons: My only con with this course was that it was only 9 holes. Also the tee pads were a but worn.
Other Thoughts: Hole number 8 has a lot of thick thorn bushes past the basket to the right; don't get into trouble here. No water in play the lake was pretty low. Would be in my favorites if there a complete 18. Overall a great course, ENJOY!

Challenging Nine Hole Course

5+    11/13/2013   11/18/2013
Review By: markmcc
Pros: Given the small area that the course is placed in, there is a remarkable variety of lines and distances.

Great use of the large number of mature trees on the site. Significant brush/tangles in some areas makes you want to stay in the fairways. The course calls for tunnel shots, hyzers, anhyzers, and straight drives.

Good risk/reward opportunities. For instance, Hole 9 long tee offers a "safer" route over the short tee position or a tougher, more direct line over water (if the lake is up). The basket for Hole 9 is set on the edge of a rise,so if you miss the approach/putt you'll often end up at the bottom of the hill. Lay up or run it?

Excellent signage at the beginning of the course as well at each tee pad.

Tee pads are bordered by a large limestone boulder on each side and filled with wood chips/mulch. They look very natural in this setting.

Hole lengths vary from 180' to 704'. Long tees are available for holes 3, 6 and 9 with only a single tee available for the remaining holes. The long tees on holes 6 and 9 add significant interest.

Huge parking lots with a restroom nearby. No potable water that I've found, so bring your own.
Cons: The tee pads look very natural, but as they've worn in the surface has become almost "U" shaped. The bordering boulders are so large that you don't want to be close to them, so all traffic is down the centerline of the pad. I often scrape some mulch into the center to try to create a flat surface to throw from.

The short tee on Hole 3 requires a drive over open ground to a gap in the trees. The long tee adds an additional 156' over the open ground without adding any obstacles or different routes. Not as interesting as the long tees on holes 6 and 9.

Some fairways are very close to each other so you may need to wait on others when the course is busy.
Other Thoughts: I've always played on weekdays and have never paid an entry fee (fee booth closed). I understand that the fee booth is staffed on weekends and they charge an entry fee.

Hole 1 plays near a picnic area. I've had a close call or two with folks walking into the fairway during play. On weekends this could be a significant issue. Other holes are clear of the public area.

Fun course, great setting

1    7/31/2012   8/3/2012
Review By: FallenOak
Pros: Varied shot selection
Signage/Map
Challenging yet extremely fun
Cons: The only con (and the only reason for this review because I didn't see it mentioned in any other) are the rocks that mark/outline the tee pads. They are big, 3'x2', so you think it would be obvious, (and I'm generally not a dummy) but on the follow through of a RHFH drive, my right foot smashed into one of these boulders pretty dang hard. With the tee signs and the well worn boxes, it would be nice if maybe those became "benches".
Other Thoughts: Check out sidewinding and JerryChereston's reviews for more complete/accurate reviews IMO.

My GF, my dog, and I played this course on a short get away and it was perfect for what we needed. Seeing as it was the end of July, we made sure to wear swim wear to play in and literally walked from 9's basket into the water. It was awesome to be able to cool off and relax that quickly after a hot/fun round.

It was a weekday so the water/park were being used, but it wasn't packed. I could see it filling up on the weekends though.

I WILL play this course again and am jealous it is not closer.

Bats in Boerne

1    7/22/2012   7/26/2012
Review By: soonerpa
Pros: In my first 6 months of playing now and I have to say this is easily one of my favorite courses yet. Coming from flat Houston, TX this is a nice change up.

Nice variety in only 9 holes.
Wooded. Open. Straight. Dog legs. Up and down. Water nearby.

Tees and baskets mostly clearly marked and seen. A few holes have enough dog leg that you reall cant see the basket but just adds to the "drama".

Cons: I can only think of two things.
1- It cost $8 to enter the park. Its only a con for me because I wasnt expecting it. The positive side of this is that the course is well maintained. Could use a little trash pick up but the grass was cut, limbs mostly picked up etc.
2- It needs to be 9 holes longer, ha. Just enjoyed it so much I didnt want to stop playing it.
Other Thoughts: Definitely a fave.

Fun in Large Groups

1    4/30/2011   5/11/2011
Review By: cfmack
Pros: I love this course! I was in Boerne for a party and the next day 15 of us play two rounds of 9. Yes, my review is a little skewed but there are additional points. One, no one was there. You can have a massive group and no one bugs you. Two, several tees have amateur and pro tees. If you do two rounds, you can play each tee. Three, the water hazards, while fun and challenging, are not gross. I've played plenty of courses where I didn't know if a pool had leaches or not. This is a beautiful lake that we swam in to cool off between 9 and 10.
Cons: Yes you have to pay for parking. That sucks, but again with a big group, this is nothing if you consolidate cars.
Other Thoughts: There is a hill between the parking lot and hole 9. We had a wicked drive throwing contest off this hill. It is a completely open field, so swing a way.

2-4    4/4/2010   4/5/2010
Review By: sidewinding
Pros: Excellent informative signs and a course map at hole #1 make this course easily navigable.

Plenty of parking.

Good restroom.

Excellent design with a wide variety of holes not favoring any throwing style. There are four lefty holes of varying length, four righty holes of varying length and straight and narrow but short hole.

The difficulty level is higher than most other nine hole courses you will play.

The scenic beauty is very high due to it's location on the shores of a small lake and the Central Texas Hill Country Landscape with many mature Live Oak Trees.

There are alternate, long tees on four or five holes.
Cons: The teepads are not good. They are uneven dirt holes that have been covered with mulch.

It costs $5.00 to get into the park and $8.00 on weekends which means I won't be playing here very often.

There are many people using the lake shore for camping, fishing, picnicking, boating, hiking, etc. and most of them have no idea what disc golf is. You will have to be very careful and remain courteous and patient as they walk through the fairways right in front of you.
Other Thoughts: Even though it's on the shores of the lake, the water never really comes into play. It would be very difficult to lose a disc at this course.

Good 9 hole

2-4    2/17/2010   2/21/2010
Review By: Froztfx
Pros: Some nice challenging holes, love the baskets. Pleased to have played the course.
Cons: Would not have played the more than once if the booth was open to charge to get into the lake. The course was really muddy when I played both times so dont go in your sunday best lol.

A Texas Gem!

2-4    7/2/2009   7/8/2009
Review By: bayouace
Pros: Really fun course with plenty of good parking, shade, rest rooms. Maps available at the entrance booth, at Hole #1, and online here. Can make this a family outing with the lake to swim in and grill or picnic on shore. This is a 9 holer with options on every hole - a Houck tradition. Take a chance and score well, or pay the price if you don't hit the throw. The lake was dry on the edge, so #2, #8 and #9 had less risk that day. #9 is the biggest water risk usually, unless you putt past the holes on #2 and #8. #3 and # 6 can be long buggers with pro and short tees. Good mulch tee pads. I thought the map was really good, and had no problem navigating the course. Every hole has obstacles for you to choose your poison. If you can't throw straight, you are going to be beating in some discs. Hole #8 is really the only straight hole. All others range from decent curves - annie and hyzer, to blind baskets on #3 and #6. Most of the holes allow you to recover with a good second shot. I'd say if you can't approach OK, you're in trouble. A Pro for me was that this course does not punish discers who are not big arms on every hole. Its a fair balance in all aspects, really. Good job, John, for design and use of terrain!
Cons: Cost my wife and I $8 to get in for our non-resident vehicle. $6 for residents. It was moving to 100 degrees, but hey, that's July in Texas. More vegetation than showing in the course pictures here, but no danger of losing a disc in it.
Other Thoughts: Turn left after entering to get to the parking area closest to Hole #1. If you want the long box for #3, look behind you as you finish #2 and walk out to what you think is #3 long. It isn't. For my skills, City Lake was easier to score pars on than Bandera. They are 20 miles apart and I would play both the same day. Finish at Bandera, and have some afternoon rehab at the 11th Street Cowboy Bar. To get to City Lake Park take I-10 West to Ranger Road, exit, go under I-10 and immediately turn right, stay on service road to Park. This will be a must stop for me on future trips to visit my brother in Bandera.

Fun 9 holes

1    4/1/2009   6/12/2009
Review By: Part-Time Ninja
Pros: Good lay out, Solid variety of throws needed for success. Good surrounding, next to the pond. (I'm from Michigan and refuse to call that a lake.)
Well put together park
Cons: 18 would have been nice. I don't really have anything bad to say...I've only played once.
Other Thoughts: Make it 18!!!!