New Bern, NC
Glenburnie Park Share
Uploaded By: keltik Hole #5 (Taken 6/2010)
Hole #5 White Tee

Glenburnie Gets Me Going

1    8/2/2015   8/10/2015
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: The disc golf course at Glenburnie Park is great. I liked the big grassy hills with great elevation changes, that are shaded by numerous mature trees. A little bit of water in play for good measure. 18 holes with dual concrete tees, signs and baskets are also good quality. The first few holes were a little windy, as the park is alongside the water on the river. Hole one is a pretty good downhill warm up, and hole 2 has two baskets, as well as two tees. It's another pretty decent hole, but this course really gets going on hole 3. Uphill to a pin that drops off steeply behind. I hit the drive, but my birdie putt hit the basket, caught an edge and rolled, leading to a 3 putt bogey. The next several holes run back and forth, up and down hills through the trees. Hole 8 is a par 4 along the water, teeing high crossing a lower area to a basket on top of another hill. I chose the direct route and made par, but if you can crush a righty backhand hyzer, you can take the big window over the trees and try to spike it in front of the hill. I played with Scott, who tried that route and nearly made it. He nipped the top of a tree, but was still able to save a par. To see that shot work out would be pretty cool to witness, but I think it would probably result in a lost disc if I tried. Hole 9 got me for a 5 after bonking two trees solidly in the long fairway, and then two putting. 10 is a good downhill putter throw about 250', with a couple of possible routes. Hole 13 is a fun mid range, that drops downhill about half way. On hole 15 I saw an obstacle that I haven't seen anywhere else, I giant, red, buoy that is grounded firmly in the middle of the fairway. If you get past it, you should have a good shot at par. Hole 17 is a monster downhill, right to left hyzer that cuts in between a stand of trees and the dog park. I got off a good drive into the open, and still had to make a 200'+ approach to get my 3. 18 finishes up playing across the road and around some more tall lumber.
Cons: I really can't complain. I wanted to rate this one a 5, but there are one or two holes that are just good, not great. Hole 18 playing across the road next to the entrance is not ideal. Not championship caliber difficulty, but super fun if you ask me.
Other Thoughts: I like this sort of course the best. The fairways are roomy enough to make shots, but there are numerous trees. The big hills let you get some extra glide on those downhill drives. All the equipment is good. I played 9 courses in the northeast region of North Carolina over the weekend trip, and this was my favorite (Buckhorn a close second). Kind of reminded me of Flat Rock Park in Columbus, GA.

Love this course!

5+    8/27/2013   9/2/2013
Review By: Hollywood
Pros: In this part of eastern North Carolina, this is by far one of the best. I have had the opportunity to play this course many times and it always poses a new challenge each time. The first few baskets are pretty open which provide a great warmup before slowly working into the wooded baskets on the back nine.
Cons: When it rains, its a swamp. No two ways about it. If its rained recently or if you play this course during the summer and experience a true southern t-storm, you'll be sloshing through water on many of the fairways.
Other Thoughts: This is one of my favorite courses to play and helped me greatly develop my game without being too overly difficult but not very easy either.

1st Run

2-4    1/18/2013   1/18/2013
Review By: clementsjd1
Pros: - Bathrooms available
- Had a very good mixture of holes, some very technical shots to be made here which I enjoy.
- Well marked tee's
- Map of the course at the beginning, I took a picture which helped me navigate much easier.
Cons: - Rude dog walkers is my only complaint.
Other Thoughts: Every course I have ever played on I have seen at one time or another someone walking their dog, or playing with their kids at the park, for the most part they stay clear of the course. At this particular course we waited 10 minutes for a lady with her dogs after politely letting her know we were trying to throw our discs down past her, in a very rude tone she yelled back we have the right to walk here to, we just laughed and waited the reason we laughed is she was standing there playing with her dogs in the middle of the fairway when their was a huge fenced in dog park 10 feet away from her. Maybe this course could use a walking trail.

Top 5 Courses

2-4    4/6/2012   4/13/2012
Review By: LeeBo
Pros: Very well designed course and one of my favorites played. Alternate basket on hole #2. Needed different shots all around (backhand, forehand, thumbs, etc.). Long holes to rip one, and short holes to keep accuracy. Beautiful sight and very maintained.
Cons: Expecting a water hole or two, but it doesn't come into play (unless you get a badshot, hole #8) Couple of trees need to come down.
Other Thoughts: You will need to bring your A game if you want to shoot a good score from the blues.The water fountain is amazing, taste like it has splenda in it.