Belvidere, IL
Belvidere Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: notapro Hole #4 (Taken 10/2011)

1 2 Next >
 bizarre

1    6/22/2009   1/23/2010
Review By: tallpaul
Pros: My overall day here was quite enjoyable. With that said, this one is like a roller coaster in terms of rating it. Our arrival was a pro and a con....
1) Beautiful swimming pool, and a large parking lot.
2) The walk to the nearest of a number of small, arched bridges, allowed us to view a number of the beautiful flower gardens here. I mean; these are nice. Most towns probably have a park or two with this sort of flower bed landscaping; but few disc courses ever see such items.
3)This walk to the nearest bridge also took us past two "wonderful children at play." These are life sized, bronze sculptures, right in the middle of the small river.
Unfortunately for the "children", it had been raining steadily in the area for a couple of days; and the kids were drowning :<).
4) Once we got to a tee; signs and tees were well done.
5) #2 is a very nice disc hole. I lost one in the creek/river (I'm not sure what this body of water is; the portion I lost my plastic in was raging and too deep to go into the day we played. At other times; this may not be such an issue.) You throw semi blind to the water; due to uphill drive; and water is perfect distance to scare/challenge, blue level player.

If you lay up, short of water (or have to shoot your circle 3rd shot; as I did; from back side of creek/river), your next shot will require a solid 220+ heiser (rhbh); completely over a wider and placid portion of the water feature (picture; pond like). This is not that long distance wise; but pin near the water and if you heiser too much; you bring trees on back side of green back into play and force your next putt to be back at the water feature; with a sloped, downhill finish to end up wet.
If you made it across on the drive; you must play a @200 ft. straight as an arrow shot; with trees in play; and the water to the right; or swing a pretty wide anny (rhbh) to come back through trees to the landing. Again, I will point out that the pin is near the water, with a long upshot/putt tending towards wetness.
Lhbh players may not find this hole as difficult as rhbh.
For rhbh, it's an interesting, par three shot; with a water stroke very available; that would be a fine hole on a top course; and is a very pleasant surprise at this, otherwise, scenic; but rather uneventful layout.
Cons: 1) Lot was full because swimming pool was getting major use. We had to park all the way at the end of the long lot, which actually put us quite a distance from tee #1 and we started on a mid course tee.
3) One of the first holes we played; #6? does very much have benches and playground in play. There was no one there, when we were but, if there had been, would have very much been an issue.
2) These holes were moderately challenging; with some trees to contend with; including
at least one nice pine grove. There is also moderate elevation ....especially on greens; which will make for putts from raised or sunken angles. (not a con). But, overall, nothing above average in terms of disc play. Many holes that are fairly challenging deuces; and rather easy threes.
Other Thoughts: Near the parking lot and seen during the walk too and fro to the course; is an old mill/barn that is maintained nicely and adds another layer to the overall/historic/European modern, cottage feel of the place.
@500 ft. to the right of hole #2 is part of a river, locks system. Locks are fairly common in my home area; in Fox Cities, Wisconsin (Fox River). I enjoy this type of scenery in my home area; and believe it is even more unique here.
O.K.....so, I went and looked a little; and this is an offshoot of the Rock River; both this locks system, portion; and the smaller portion that factors into the course on #2.
The actual rating, for disc play, on this course is a 1.5. The single, good hole probably adds a .5 by itself; the landscaping/park amenities/"feel of the park" could add another .5 to it; but with "other parks users issues" (which, I again add, we were not forced to deal with; and so, may not be a problem all that often; as the parking lot was packed full this day); I'll end up with a roller coaster/back and forth/good and bad/I was pleasantly surprised; 2 rating.

Be respectful of other park users

1    11/27/2009   11/30/2009
Review By: Three Putt
Pros: I really was not expecting much from Belvidere Park, but it was a surprisingly nice 9-hole course. I had a little problem finding the tee for # 1, but from there the course flowed fairly well and there were directional signs in a couple of places. Hole # 2 was a pretty difficult water carry where you had to hit a gap and # 3 had some good distance to it, so it got my attention pretty quickly. After hole # 3 the course settled down into some pretty nice shots. # 7 is a gimme deuce, but the others were fairly difficult to deuce but fairly easy to par. Most of the shots were moderately wooded, adding some decent challenge. There was no severe elevation changes but the park was not completely flat like a lot of the courses in Northern Illinois. It was a fun round that provided some decent challenge. The course has good tee signs and nice concrete tee pads. The park itself has good amenities and is well taken care of. I was very pleasantly surprised by this course.
Cons: The park is very busy, and the course has some iffy spots where it does not seem to fit in very well with the overall park. Hole # 6 was the worst spot. If you take the anny route on # 6 you shoot over some park benches. If your drive fades you will land very close to some swing sets. If there were people sitting on the benches and kids on the swings, I'd have to skip that hole. There are a couple of other spots were a walking path gets very close to the fairways, and a playground was close to one hole. All-in-all, the design made me somewhat uncomfortable in several spots.

Hole #6 is also one of my pet peeves. The tee was on the banks of a creek, so you had to throw maybe 60' to clear the water. This presents no challenge to an adult, but kids trying to learn to play can easily lose a disc in the creek. I can't see the reason for designing holes like this, it just makes it more difficult on kids trying to pick up the sport.
Other Thoughts: Like most nine-hole courses, this one is not worth going out of your way to play. If you are in the area it is worth your time to check out. You should try to get there on a weekday or really early in the morning to avoid conflicts with other park users.

5+    6/15/2009   6/16/2009
Review By: Gummy
Pros: Lots of challenging shots for new players and more advanced players. Clean and well maintained grounds. Hole 2 will take your disc if not played carefully making it a nice challenge. Hole 8 is all trees giving more variety.
Cons: Walking path close to the course. They moved the playground out of the middle of hole 3 but it is still off to the side. Watch out for pedestrians wandering into the flight path on hole 6.

D+ = Doesn't have much happenin' for a 9 holer

1    5/20/2009   5/25/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution -- C- (would have graded it lower except hole 3 might be the best risk-reward par 3 I have ever seen! Tough shot to get to pin, but a blind pond adds a ton of risk on errant throws. I have added a couple photos of this. Very cool!)
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max -- C- (Most holes are too long or clogged to deuce, but too short to make a 3 rewarding.)
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- C- (Hole 8 is the best hole - 250-ish thru a narrow R-L fairway of mature trees.)
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- C- (The beauty is incredible with a river, a stream, beautiful trees and grass. It is so crowded into the park that it is dangerous. Unfortunately, that counteracts the beauty.)
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- D+ (See #2. There are legitimate, but horrible par 4s since you can not get onto the dance floor in one throw on several holes.)

nice

5+    4/4/2009   4/4/2009
Review By: duain
Pros: lots of different types of shots. some long, some over water, most with trees in play, beautiful landscape. concrete pads
Cons: random people walking around in the way sometimes
Other Thoughts: none

Belvidere review

1    3/16/2009   3/18/2009
Review By: Dahminator
Pros: One of the better all around parks I've been to. Good elevation change and many different things to deal with, from trees, to open shots, to a few awesome water shots.
Cons: Since it is such a fun park, there are many people walking around and doing things, which can get in the way.
Other Thoughts: Watch out for Hole #2, as you have to throw uphill AND over a little lake. It's fun, but it requires strategy if you don't want to lose your disc.

Tough nine

5+    11/13/2008   11/30/2008
Review By: leathercash
Pros: Signs everywhere,very easy to navigate. Because it's so new,everything looks spectacular. You play along the river on about 1/3 of the course and there are two water holes that provide a good spice to the course. Very challenging for newbies like myself but it's well appreciated. The park is kept in very well shape,including the course itself.
Cons: TOUGH,sometimes almost frustrating even. Hole two is a blind water hole,I've lost three in that bastard and plenty coming I'm sure. Holes three is about 389 feet I believe (could be wrong on how long,but pretty sure) but the trouble is,it play right through a public swing set! Just makes me nervous tossing on through a kids play area. The nine holes are spread out so far in order to fill the place in,it makes for waaaay too much walking between holes. Lack of public bathrooms. The only one I saw was just after hole number 2.
Other Thoughts: I'm not sure how far I would drive,of how far out of my way I'd go,but this nine is worth playing IF you're in good proximity,giver her a try.

1 2 Next >