Dallas, GA
White Oak Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #5 (Taken 1/2009)

Under the White Oak Tree

1    1/1/2014   1/12/2014
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: White Oak has the elevation necessary to get the party started! I immediately like any course with hills like this. I would like to see the course in the summer when the leaves are in the trees and the grass is green. Not a ton of trees, but some more wooded holes around the beginning of the back nine. There was a bit of distance on a few holes, but nothing championship worthy. Hole 8 was one that I really loved. Teeing up high, throwing over tree tops in a creek bed, to a basket halfway up the hill opposite you. A great drive if you can hit it just right. There is a duck pond that brings water into play very near a couple of baskets. Watch out for roll aways on those hillside putts. I didn't see any other disc golfers there, but there was a few others walking dogs, playing on the playgrounds, and feeding ducks.
Cons: There is plenty of room for improvement. I had a hard time finding the first hole, and the map was not as helpful as would have liked. Concrete tees would be an excellent addition. Signs at the tees would be great, and maybe some to help out leading around the course. A number of the holes were somewhat bland with open drives leaving little challenge aside from the elevation. I had a hard time navigating them and definitely missed a couple. I see other reviewers have pointed out missing baskets.
Other Thoughts: White Oak is a course that offers a couple of really nice holes, but I would recommend going along with someone familiar with it if you have never been there. I liked it as is, but I think some upgrades to the tee pads and signage would help immensely. To me, that and replacing missing baskets could boost this courses rating to a 4.

I'mmmmm Sailingggg Awayyyyy

1    10/27/2012   11/11/2012
Review By: Connor Jones
Pros: Elevation.
Elevation.
Elevation.

I thought about putting, "Elevation." one more time but, I assume you got the picture.

This course is a lot of ups and downs, sides and backwards and stuff. It's definitely its biggest pro.

Baskets were in great shape.

The park was very well kept and extremely clean.

You're probably going to have the course to yourself.

Really beautiful park and views.

Cons: Literally 0 directional guidance, it was like being a blind squirrel on the moon looking for a singular nut.

Natural teepads that weren't that great.

For so much elevation, there's a lot of repetitive shots including the main shot, wide open hyzer.
Other Thoughts: It's a lot easier to write in here for me, especially on this one.

This course has potential to be a 4, and usually i'm not one to complain about lack of polish, but this course desperately needs just a few small touches, mostly some directional signs, or maps, or a man waiting to guide you around for a small fee, even though this park is probably to nice to find that sort of thing. :|

Anyways, the best section of this course is 10-14 or so. A couple of true wooded gems that really stand out. If the course had a couple more of these tossed in to mix up the general open feel, I could see myself giving it a four regardless of the polish.

My final thoughts are, until this course gets teepads, which it NEEDS due to the nature of the elevation, better directional signs and maybe a few trees planted, it's not really living up to it's full potential, and I will pick other courses in the area(such as deer lick) over this when I am there.

Also, I still had a really fun time here, it is a good layout with potential to be very good, so if you have time for it, play it.

:( Baskets 13 & 14 gone

5+    8/16/2012   8/19/2012
Review By: bighurt
Pros: More open than wooded; great exercise due to hilly terrain; not many people play it
Cons: Baskets 13 & 14 are now missing. Parks & rec took them away due to neighboring land owner complaining about fences being cut and thus his livestock getting free. SUPPOSEDLY, park & rec is evaluating how to add two more holes which I'm afraid will diminish the layout substantially. 14 was one of my favorite holes with tiny creeks surrounding the hole. Of course the lack of signage at this course as stated numerous times before is a big negative. Be sure to take map (even though it's not updated, at least will give you a sense of where to go).
Other Thoughts: This layout has so much potential but unfortunately doesn't get much upkeep. If we could possibly get some Eagle Scouts to deem it as their project and get some concrete pads and signage put up, that'd be a great service to the community! I'm just afraid parks & rec are going to stall on putting back in the two holes and if they do, will be two crappy holes. How hard would it be to put a sign on the baskets pointing towards the next tee or tiny signs on trees (i.e. like Deerlick)?

White Oak

1    1/29/2011   2/2/2011
Review By: do you juju
Pros: The plot of land that this course is on includes a massive amount of park space that is capitalized by the local community. With several small bodies of water throughout the park, rolling hills, aged trees, and great maintenance this park is visually captivating. The course is in the back of the park and for the majority of the holes, they are in the wide open with few trees lining the fairways. The elevation of some of the holes was not only difficult to manage a drive from the tee box, but also landing a putt in fear of rolling down another hill behind the basket. The holes are decent length, and offer some creativity to your shots. As fun as the course was to play, it was also just as enjoyable to walk through the park on a lovely Saturday afternoon.
Cons: As much praise as I gave the course, there are a few things that are detrimental to it's push as an elite course. Coming from a home course with grass tee pads, I enjoy anything other than that, but it would have been nice to see some concrete pads instead of the makeshift gravel ones. Luckily I played the course with some friends who have played it before, and they were able to guide me as such, but if you are playing it blind, it can be tough. Very few holes had signs or maps that indicated the distance or basket location. Having to walk a few steps to see the basket isn't a big deal at all, but a sign would be nice and make things tremendously easier. A few benches spread throughout the course, but a few more wouldn't hurt after walking the elevation on some holes.
Other Thoughts: Trying to convey the elevation changes is tough to do through a review, but take it from me, they can be drastic. Playing confident, and with a clear idea of where the basket is and each hole, this course is a lot of fun.

very hilly doesn't come close

1    7/18/2010   7/19/2010
Review By: TracyJ
Pros: the course is beautiful.
Cons: the beginning of the course was not marked. i didn't see any disc golf course signage. the description of very hilly is a little misleading. we play Lenora all the time and that is described as very hilly. this was mountainous in comparison. there were very very steep uphills and downhills on all the holes we played. we could not find the red tees on several holes and the map we downloaded from this site is not correct, so we could not find our way easily.
Other Thoughts: we only had time to play the back nine but couldn't even get that in because of the searching for tees and pins trying to follow the map from this site. also the terrain is very much understated in the description. we'll come back when we have 3 hrs for a round and are in better shape.

Scenic Hills

1    2/17/2010   2/17/2010
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: Nice course in a large park that has made a good use of elevation. Good park facilities. Bathrooms, garbage cans and picnic tables on site. Even 2 playgrounds for kids and family. The course itself is an example of one of the better uses of elevation I have seen in a non-mountain course. There are up and downs, and even baskets placed on hill sides that add risk to your putts and approaches. A fun place to play if you want to air it out and watch your disc fly up and down hills. Some cool blind shots over hills that require a spotter or a short walk to check out the shot. Nice change of pace compared to the wooded courses I normally play.
Cons: Course is still under construction so these cons are temporary. Crushed gravel tee pads. Can get wet and uneven. I did see signs that they are raising money for concrete pads. That will be a nice improvement and make me grade the course higher when it is done. No signs to navigate holes. I assume this is in the works too, but these things take time. For now it's a negative. While there is a good use of the hills many of the shots are simply up and down hills with no other risk/reward factor.
Other Thoughts: Holes that stuck out in my mind:

1) Straight downhill, but basket is on a hill and that can make the approach tricky.
2)Nice uphill with an OB fence on the right. A few mature oaks to add some obstacles to the fairway.
4) Basket placed on side of a large hill. Tough approach and putt. Challenging layout.
8) Down a hill, over some trees and up another hill. A few trees to naviagte around by the hole.
9)Gradual downhill shot with the basket tucked in the edge of the woods and the pond behind. Overthrows could go swimming.
10) 1st wooded hole. Straight up a very steep hill. Nice tunnel shot through the trees.
11) Back down the steep hill and another tunnel shot. Enough trees in there to ruin your day. OB creek behind basket for overthrows and an OB barbwire fence on right.
14) OB creek in front and to the side of the basket.
17) Decent length shot over the pond to a basket on a peninsula. Signature hole for the course. There is room for us noodle arms to throw short and safely cross the pond. Must be careful on approaches due to pond behind basket. There is some room, but a roller could hurt.

Overall a very nice course that will be even better with pads and signs. Great option for people that prefer a more open course. Only 2 wooded holes.

Different than Most Courses

1    11/28/2009   11/28/2009
Review By: Psalman
Pros: This is by far the best use of elevation in Atlanta Metro. Instead of trees being the primary obstacle, the hills are. Overthrowing a pin can cause the disc to roll up to 100 feet on multiple holes. An accurate putter will have an advantage here. Lesser skilled will have to lay up.

This course is very remote feeling. It's is unbelievably refreshing. Because of the hills, you get a great workout while you're having fun.

Another player I met told me that wind is often a factor. Since you have to throw some hefty hyzer & anhyzer shots, I can imagine that on a windy day these shots are very challenging.
Cons: There aren't a lot of amenities on the course. There are about six benches, but no trash cans, signs, or cement tee pads. The condition of the gravel tee pads is very good.

Since it's fall, there are tons of leaves. Finding discs is difficult, and walking up and down some of the steeper sections is strenuous. This is not a course for people with mobility issues. I also do not recommend bringing smaller children. Using a stroller cart to carry your discs may be difficult on some holes.

Besides the elevation, there isn't as many obstacles as I might like. Besides the pins near water and on steep surfaces, many holes are absent of obstacles besides the hills.

The area near the Creek OB on the map is lowlands. You have to walk on sinking boards to cross.
Other Thoughts: #1 is a moderate downhill. Be careful not to overthrow on your approach.
#4 is over a hill and then down. It's more fun than it sounds.
#5 is a steep uphill.
#6 is a beatufil open long Par 4
#10 is a wooded, steep uphill
#11 is the steepest downhill you could imagine. Try an overhead and watch it drop like a rock almost into the hole.
#14 pin is now guarded by a creek.
#17 is where you throw your disc in the water after thinking you were better than you actually are.

Newbie Likes the Forgiving Fairways

2-4    11/14/2009   11/14/2009
Review By: Patsfan140
Pros: I love the forgiving fairways. The up and down walking gives me plenty of exercise while walking the mile plus linear distance. I still don't have the confidence to throw over the water at 17 but 16 is a lot of fun coming down to the water. I love the 2 holes in the woods! Coming down on 11 (I think) is fun and challenging for me.
Cons: I am still am too new to know what the cons are.
Other Thoughts: Lots of open spaces and fresh air! Great way to spend an afternoon!

Has some dream holes

1    9/5/2009   9/8/2009
Review By: billnchristy
Pros: Some holes that you could only dream of.
Extreme elevation changes.
Secluded with the exception of the holes by the lake.
Baskets on the sides of the hills provide a challenge that might not be there otherwise.
Many good attempts to minimalize the rough terrain by putting simple bridges in place.
Amazing work for the little money that was given for the course.
Cons: Honestly I found it a little repetitive. The main challenge is the elevation and a lot of holes offered little more.
Some of the tees were very slippery, I think even gravel would be better than raw red clay.
Other Thoughts: I wish this course had some more variety to go along with some of the holes that you just want to empty your bag on. Those holes alone are worth playing a round and might even be worth coming back (thought at 60mi away it is a tough call). It is a great addition to the Atlanta courses because it fills a bit of a void. It is what Lenora could have been if it was as extreme...but therein lies the problem, if it were not so extreme, it would be Lenora...
8 and 10 are awesome,11 is spectacular, 17 is cool and 4 is as fun as it is frustrating...there is a lot to be offered here but I really wish the woods could've been used more or less blind shot over the enormous hill, down the enormous hill and across the valley to the middle of the next enormous hill shots.
I don't think there is any way to not get blasted for this review but I don't feel a course can be a 4 yet without any amenities. Everyone calls it a diamond in the rough...well the rough is what the review should be based on.

This really can be one of the premier courses in the area, it just isn't there yet.

If I could build a "best of Atlanta" course this one and ERP would probably hold the majority of the holes (of the ones I have played).

Diamond in the rough

1    8/14/2009   8/16/2009
Review By: forehandfranz
Pros: Remote countryside park where you really feel like you have the place to yourself. I only saw 4 other golfers on a summer evening! Rolling grassy slopes and large oak trees and a lake are the terrain here. Most of the rough borders the outer edge of the park and won't be a problem if you keep within the ample fairways. 16 of the holes are rather open, with a few trees peppered in, but the extreme elevation fills in the gap and adds that third dimension. Wow- are there some great holes here! Long and short tees on most holes accomodate different skill levels and rotating pin placements on many holes too. Other than holes 10 & 11 (which are extremely STEEP and woody) you'll be able to grip & rip through undulating hills. Some challenging pin placements too. My favorite hole was the one I scored a quad bogey 7 on - #17 which sits across the lake on a small peninsula. The great thing about this hole is that from the long tee you have risk/reward in which you can go for pin for bird or lay up early to "hope" for par- but your approach is guarded by trees in front and lake all around the pin! Fantastic stuff. Kinda reminds me of TPC Sawgrass # 17 island pin. Top notch restrooms and shelters here too.
Cons: This course is very new, so it has natural teepads and PVC pipes with numbers marking them. They were adequate for now (tees are probably really slick and muddy after a rainfall though!). I had few problems finding my way around but the map I printed was helpful. Planting of a few more trees would improve to the challenge of the course and add to the natural beauty of an already stunning setting.
Other Thoughts: I think that courses with multiple pins should follow PA course Tyler St. Park's example- put a little rotating dial which indicates which position the pin is in. It can save some walking and guessing, especially when it comes to doglegs.